PDA

View Full Version : NJ>Has anyone hung at Round Valley?

njredneck
07-05-2013, 06:57
Thinking about taking the boys next month and paddle across the lake to the campsite. Anyone have any info on the hangability of the sites?

Thanks Mike

silentorpheus
07-05-2013, 09:09
Thinking about taking the boys next month and paddle across the lake to the campsite. Anyone have any info on the hangability of the sites?

Thanks Mike

I haven't been in there yet, though it's right down the road from my warehouse. I did balk at the cost - it's a state campground, so I think it's like $20 a site or something. Not un-doable, but certainly not the $3 you pay in the barrens.

I'll keep an eye on this thread, inc ase you get some answers.

njredneck
07-05-2013, 09:16
When you have 3 people its not so bad if you get to 6 its only a few more $'s. The boys want to paddle in this way I don't have to worry about having 2 cars parked in 2 different places. But I agree for a solo its a little too much money to spend

ashed
07-08-2013, 17:29

Thanks Mike
I used to live minutes away and visited a lot - you shouldn't have any problems (I never did) and they are very giving on where you set up camp (doesn't have to be in the center of the site/plot given unlike most other sites in NJ).

Hope that helps! =)

njredneck
07-08-2013, 18:12
I used to live minutes away and visited a lot - you shouldn't have any problems (I never did) and they are very giving on where you set up camp (doesn't have to be in the center of the site/plot given unlike most other sites in NJ).

Hope that helps! =)

Thanks for the info

nj4x4fever
07-09-2013, 11:00
Camping set up for August 8 to August 11,2013. A couple of us New Jersey Kayak Fisherman getting together with a couple buddies plan to Hammock Camp Round Valley. We plan on fishing too. My two buddies have Hobie Adventure Island Sailing Kayaks, they are supposed to be their as well. We have reserved Site 060. for those 3 days if you want you can stop on by my name is Dennis.

njredneck
07-09-2013, 14:33
Camping set up for August 8 to August 11,2013. A couple of us New Jersey Kayak Fisherman getting together with a couple buddies plan to Hammock Camp Round Valley. We plan on fishing too. My two buddies have Hobie Adventure Island Sailing Kayaks, they are supposed to be their as well. We have reserved Site 060. for those 3 days if you want you can stop on by my name is Dennis.

Thanks for the invite. unfortunately already have plans for that weekend. Enjoy the trip.

treywilly
07-27-2013, 18:11
Hey I was thinking about doing a hammock hang there, let me know how it goes??

nj4x4fever
08-13-2013, 19:09
Thursday morning got to the boat ramp and all looked well at 10AM. We loaded up 1 sit inside kayak and one canoe with trolling motor with enough gear for 4 days. My buddy had his two kids one was 9 the other 10.
Paddled 2.9 miles to our campsite #60. One of our friends told us it is one of the best sites cleaned up by chainsaw.
Thursday we were joined by one of our friend from Long Island New York, he has a Hobie Adventure Island Kayak. Around 2:30PM the skies got gray and opened up with heavy rain. We heard some thunder in the backround. But nothing was going to keep us from enjoying this 4 day camp trip with friends.

Friday morning heavy rain until mid afternoon. Just hung out in the Hennessy Hammock with Hexfly tarp in porch mode catching up on our last camping trip to Long Island NY on a 5 day camp and kayaking but mostly camping because of the 4 days of rain. Seems like whenever my buddy sets up our trips we have several consecutive days of rain.

Friday late afternoon we were able to get in the water in front of camp we swam with the kids. One of the guys took out his sail kayak and sailed around for a while.

Saturday was a perfect day, we had guests coming, we cleaned up the campsite and gathered up firewood. Saturday we were joined by a local resident and his two kids they all had hobie mirage drive kayaks one was an Adventure Island, all of the kids spent the day swimming, I kayaked out to the other side and tried my hand at fishing. No luck fishing, a local fisherman informed me that the lake trout are down 250' where it is cold water temps. I did not have 250' of line on my reel. So I headed back to camp.
Hung out with friends about 6 pm a friend called me and said he was at the ramp. I told him 2 of us would meet him halfway and we would paddle to the campsite as the sun went down.
Earlier tonight my buddy with the 2 kids got stung by a bee for the first time, lucky for him we had antihistamine tablets and sting ease in the first aid kit. If it got real bad we were going to meet a ranger at the ramp to transport him to the hospital.

Helped my buddy set up his new Hennessy Hammock Expedition he just returned home from Afghanistan it sure was good to see him. So at our campsite there was three dome style tents and three Hennessy Hammocks, with plenty of room for many more. Our shoreline had 2 Adventure Island's, 3 Hobie peddle kayaks, 1 wilderness systems Tsunami 125 kayak and 1 canoe with trolling motor.

Sunday Morning kids slept in until about 10am some of the adults were up early, had to start breakfast and take down camp. A little cool in the morning it was 59 degrees at 6:30 am. So glad I brought a few poncho liners for blankets I had one under me and one on top to keep warm. Worked out well.
Sunday afternoon everything packed up we said our goodbyes and we all left for 2 different ramps. Took me an hour and 15 minutes to paddle across the entire reservoir the water was perfect almost like a sheet of glass. Had such an exciting time. Pictures can be seen here: http://bit.ly/16hvLKm Enjoy.

njredneck
08-13-2013, 19:20
Thanks for the trip report. I really need to get there one of these days.

treywilly
08-27-2013, 08:14
Thursday morning got to the boat ramp and all looked well at 10AM. We loaded up 1 sit inside kayak and one canoe with trolling motor with enough gear for 4 days. My buddy had his two kids one was 9 the other 10.
Paddled 2.9 miles to our campsite #60. One of our friends told us it is one of the best sites cleaned up by chainsaw.
Thursday we were joined by one of our friend from Long Island New York, he has a Hobie Adventure Island Kayak. Around 2:30PM the skies got gray and opened up with heavy rain. We heard some thunder in the backround. But nothing was going to keep us from enjoying this 4 day camp trip with friends.

Friday morning heavy rain until mid afternoon. Just hung out in the Hennessy Hammock with Hexfly tarp in porch mode catching up on our last camping trip to Long Island NY on a 5 day camp and kayaking but mostly camping because of the 4 days of rain. Seems like whenever my buddy sets up our trips we have several consecutive days of rain.

Friday late afternoon we were able to get in the water in front of camp we swam with the kids. One of the guys took out his sail kayak and sailed around for a while.

Saturday was a perfect day, we had guests coming, we cleaned up the campsite and gathered up firewood. Saturday we were joined by a local resident and his two kids they all had hobie mirage drive kayaks one was an Adventure Island, all of the kids spent the day swimming, I kayaked out to the other side and tried my hand at fishing. No luck fishing, a local fisherman informed me that the lake trout are down 250' where it is cold water temps. I did not have 250' of line on my reel. So I headed back to camp.
Hung out with friends about 6 pm a friend called me and said he was at the ramp. I told him 2 of us would meet him halfway and we would paddle to the campsite as the sun went down.
Earlier tonight my buddy with the 2 kids got stung by a bee for the first time, lucky for him we had antihistamine tablets and sting ease in the first aid kit. If it got real bad we were going to meet a ranger at the ramp to transport him to the hospital.

Helped my buddy set up his new Hennessy Hammock Expedition he just returned home from Afghanistan it sure was good to see him. So at our campsite there was three dome style tents and three Hennessy Hammocks, with plenty of room for many more. Our shoreline had 2 Adventure Island's, 3 Hobie peddle kayaks, 1 wilderness systems Tsunami 125 kayak and 1 canoe with trolling motor.

Sunday Morning kids slept in until about 10am some of the adults were up early, had to start breakfast and take down camp. A little cool in the morning it was 59 degrees at 6:30 am. So glad I brought a few poncho liners for blankets I had one under me and one on top to keep warm. Worked out well.
Sunday afternoon everything packed up we said our goodbyes and we all left for 2 different ramps. Took me an hour and 15 minutes to paddle across the entire reservoir the water was perfect almost like a sheet of glass. Had such an exciting time. Pictures can be seen here: http://bit.ly/16hvLKm Enjoy.

Looks Like a great trip!!!