PDA

View Full Version : Michele's Thru Hike

FanaticFringer
03-20-2007, 18:29
I'm really enjoying reading her posts in her journal. Sounds like she's having the time of her life:

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4316

neo
03-20-2007, 18:59
-----------------------------------

ShakeyLeggs
03-20-2007, 19:22
Yea I have been following her adventures as well. I really like her last predicament. COPS:eek:

slowhike
03-20-2007, 19:22
i had lost track of the link to her journals, so thanks for putting it up front again.
looks like their having a ball so far!

Just Jeff
03-20-2007, 20:16
Her journal is linked in the Hammocker's Journals in our Links section too.

Coffee
03-20-2007, 22:23
After spending 10 hours in the car with her on the way to Hot Springs and back last fall, I can say she has all the will and determination it takes to do a hike like this. I send her the best of luck.

Hooch
03-21-2007, 01:00
Michele sounds like she's having the adventure of a lifetime and I'm jealous to be quite honest. Quite the adventure with the po-po and all!

Bird Dog
03-21-2007, 04:34
COPS:eek:

EASY NOW......Some of us may resemble that remark. :cool: BD

Hooch
03-21-2007, 04:37
No offense meant BD! :D

Bird Dog
03-21-2007, 04:42
No offense meant BD! :D

I know! Just having a good time. It doesnt bother me anymore. Ive been called just about everything you can imagine, plus many others Im sure you cant. :D BD

Hooch
03-21-2007, 04:45
Don't know about that, I was a police officer and sheriff's deputy for 5 years before I found my calling as a nurse. I've heard most of it too, although there is always room for the creative thug to piss you off without notice at any time. Gonna try and come to RRG with us BD?

Bird Dog
03-21-2007, 04:47
Would love to. Im doing the Foothills Trail in a couple of weeks and the first 100 or so of the AT this fall. Have to see what the boss says about it. BD

Hooch
03-21-2007, 04:50
Would love to. Im doing the Foothills Trail in a couple of weeks and the first 100 or so of the AT this fall. Have to see what the boss says about it. BD

BD, there's a standing invitation for anyone who has to pass by Lexington, KY to get to the Gorge to park their car at my place and ride in the rest of the trip with me as space allows. Keep it in mind and come with us some time if you can. We'd love to see you! Coming to the SEHHA Hangout in April?

Bird Dog
03-21-2007, 04:51
BD, there's a standing invitation for anyone who has to pass by Lexington, KY to get to the Gorge to park their car at my place and ride in the rest of the trip with me as space allows. Keep it in mind and come with us some time if you can. We'd love to see you! Coming to the SEHHA Hangout in April?

Thanks for the invite. Wont be at SEHHA because I'll be finishing up my FTC hike that weekend. BD

Hooch
03-21-2007, 04:52
Hope you enjoy your hike BD and Happy Trails!

ShakeyLeggs
03-21-2007, 11:39
EASY NOW......Some of us may resemble that remark. :cool: BD

It was an intersting encounter for her to say the least. But not in a bad way for her.

Egads
03-21-2007, 16:51
Michele,

Way to go! You are the bandito slayer.:D

Egads

lvleph
03-22-2007, 06:04
I am trying to get Chantelle to begin reading her trail journal. I hope that it might convince her to thru-hike with me. I think it is pretty good.

slowhike
03-22-2007, 18:29
yep, i'm enjoying reading her journals too.
just curious... i don't know much of any thing about pocket mail, but is it the norm to see her posts several days later than when she wrote them?
for instance, today (3/22) her post from 3/17 just showed up.

stoikurt
03-22-2007, 19:08
yep, i'm enjoying reading her journals too.
just curious... i don't know much of any thing about pocket mail, but is it the norm to see her posts several days later than when she wrote them?
for instance, today (3/22) her post from 3/17 just showed up.

She may just be making daily entries into the Pocket Mail and then only uploading them every few days to save battery power or waiting till she can get good signals.

slowhike
03-22-2007, 20:37
She may just be making daily entries into the Pocket Mail and then only uploading them every few days to save battery power or waiting till she can get good signals.

that makes sense.

Tango61
03-22-2007, 23:29
I think pocket mail is done through a regular phone line so she has to wait til she gets to a town. I may be wrong about this. If so, I stand corrected.

Tango

Coffee
03-23-2007, 00:01
I think pocket mail is done through a regular phone line so she has to wait til she gets to a town. I may be wrong about this. If so, I stand corrected.

Tango

Yep regular phone lines or cell phones. That might be what people mean by the cell phone signal.

Grinder
03-23-2007, 07:04
as someone else remarked, most first time hikers have different priorities once they hit the trail. (like survival)

I'm living vicariously, reading Michele's trail journal, which she posts to religiously.

The fact that she has the energy to do this says a lot about her preparation for the hike.

All I can say is "YOU GO GIRL!!"

miles of smiles
Tom

lvleph
03-23-2007, 07:09
She emphasizes that she is taking it slow. I noticed she has hiked 24mi in seven days. I was surprised at how slow she actually is going, but hey she is having fun. What ever gets her to the end. But maybe I am just crazy (and maybe naive), cause I want to average at least 20mi a day.

Grinder
03-23-2007, 07:21
the trail journals are filled with reports like:

day two "I feel great!! I'm finally getting into shape!!" hiked 18 miles today!!"

day three "My foot/ knee/ groin/etc. are really sore today. I must have over done it yesterday."

Day 4 zero today . trying to let the foot/knee/groin/etc rest and heal."

and then weeks of the overuse injury slowly healing.

I believe the adaptation to trail legs must take weeks at least.

Tom

lvleph
03-23-2007, 07:30
Which is probably why Chantelle didn't like the hikes that she went on with me. I have been working on slowing down for her. At one point hiking in the Sierras we decided she would just meet me at the top of the mountain. So I took the opportunity to run to the top. It felt great!

EDIT: Okay, I am an @$$. I just looked at a topo of the hike we were on, and it was very cruel of me to hike that fast with Chantelle. I didn't even realize.
Ralston Trail to Lake of the Woods (http://www.tahoesbest.com/trailbook/RalstonTrailtoLakeoftheWoods.pdf)

Hopefully, I can learn her limitations better, so that I don't convince her never to come with me.

Coffee
03-23-2007, 09:11
Which is probably why Chantelle didn't like the hikes that she went on with me. I have been working on slowing down for her. At one point hiking in the Sierras we decided she would just meet me at the top of the mountain. So I took the opportunity to run to the top. It felt great!

EDIT: Okay, I am an @$$. I just looked at a topo of the hike we were on, and it was very cruel of me to hike that fast with Chantelle. I didn't even realize.
Ralston Trail to Lake of the Woods (http://www.tahoesbest.com/trailbook/RalstonTrailtoLakeoftheWoods.pdf)

Hopefully, I can learn her limitations better, so that I don't convince her never to come with me.

I had an old girlfriend I went hiking with a few times. I learned the hard way that the only way for us to go at her pace was for her to lead and decide when to take breaks. The good part of this was I was never tired or out of breath and she had more fun. I went by myself if I was trying to do the miles thing.

headchange4u
03-23-2007, 09:37
I also have to slow down quite a bit when hiking with my wife. It's not that I try to do a lot of mileage, I just get in a groove when hiking and start pulling ahead. Like HE, if I had to slow down to her pace I have to let her hike in front of me.

lvleph
03-23-2007, 09:37
I had an old girlfriend I went hiking with a few times. I learned the hard way that the only way for us to go at her pace was for her to lead and decide when to take breaks. The good part of this was I was never tired or out of breath and she had more fun. I went by myself if I was trying to do the miles thing.

She won't lead, and that is the problem. I have to continually look back to make sure I have not left her.

BOT: Anyway, I am enjoying reading Michele's journal. I hope to learn a lot from it. She has given a few tips, and I look forward to more.

blackbishop351
03-23-2007, 11:07
But maybe I am just crazy (and maybe naive), cause I want to average at least 20mi a day.

HYOH...unless you're with a girl :p

I do find it a little hard to believe that 20mi/day is your natural gait, given your height. Mine's around 2-2.5 mph and I'm 6'. I'm guessing this is because you like to push yourself, but you might want to consider finding your natural speed if you're going to do a thru or other long hike. You'll enjoy it a lot more.

Bird Dog
03-23-2007, 11:11

I do find it a little hard to believe that 20mi/day is your natural gait, given your height. Mine's around 2-2.5 mph and I'm 6'. I'm guessing this is because you like to push yourself, but you might want to consider finding your natural speed if you're going to do a thru or other long hike. You'll enjoy it a lot more.

Uhm......Your pace is more like 3.5 to 4 mph.....At least, thats been my experience when hiking with you. :D BD

blackbishop351
03-23-2007, 11:13
Uhm......Your pace is more like 3.5 to 4 mph.....At least, thats been my experience when hiking with you. :D BD

We calculated 3 mph on that trip, and that was because I was with YOU and didn't want to look like a wuss in front of the military guy! :p

Bird Dog
03-23-2007, 11:17
We calculated 3 mph on that trip, and that was because I was with YOU and didn't want to look like a wuss in front of the military guy! :p

Uhm...If I remember correctly, you LED the way the first part of the first day. And dont forget about including breaks. BD

blackbishop351
03-23-2007, 11:26
Uhm...If I remember correctly, you LED the way the first part of the first day. And dont forget about including breaks. BD

Breaks were included...9 trail hours (both days), 2 hours' worth of breaks, 20.5 miles. And just because I was in front doesn't mean I was hiking my normal pace...I don't recall you having any trouble keeping up! :p

Bird Dog
03-23-2007, 11:32
Breaks were included...9 trail hours (both days), 2 hours' worth of breaks, 20.5 miles. And just because I was in front doesn't mean I was hiking my normal pace...I don't recall you having any trouble keeping up! :p

I'll leave the math to you. But I refuse to admit that your pace is 2.5 mph. BTW, where is Greensboro, HC? BD

lvleph
03-23-2007, 12:00

I walk a mile up hill to work everyday. It takes me 15mins. That seems to be 4 mi/hr. And I want to walk faster, but I walk with Chantelle. I am always looking back to make sure I have not left her. Granted that is only 1 mi. I would go a bit slower when hiking, but not much.

Edit: I also plan on hiking from 7am to 8pm or something like that.

blackbishop351
03-23-2007, 12:03
I walk a mile up hill to work everyday. It takes me 15mins. That seems to be 4 mi/hr. And I want to walk faster, but I walk with Chantelle. I am always looking back to make sure I have not left her.

The natural gait has nothing to do with how fast you WANT to go...it's all about the mechanics involved (as I'm sure you know). Pendulums and all that. It can actually be hard to figure out sometimes, but well worth it.

Coffee
03-23-2007, 13:06
Kind of BOT, I think Michele would love the drift on the thread about her. Kind of in line with her posts and TJ.

RockStar
03-23-2007, 14:48
I walk a mile up hill to work everyday.

Uphill both ways? :D

slowhike
03-23-2007, 16:42
i've taken a lot of 1st timers backpacking & i have learned that i have to keep glancing at them to see how they are doing, as well as asking.
a lot of times i can tell that they could use a break... even if they say they don't. so i just take one... or say "hey, take a look at this plant" or what ever.
i tend to not get in a hurry when i hike any way (hence the name<g>), but i still have to constantly remind myself to be realistic about the ones that do little or no hiking. after all, i do want them to have a good time out there & to go home feeling good about what they accomplished. ...tim

ShakeyLeggs
03-25-2007, 18:38
Well folks she is now know as Certain. She finally got her trail name. Congrats Certain. Keep on Keepin on and HYOH (hang your own hammock). Also she almost let us down and went to ground. :eek:

Here I'll let her tell the story. Certain (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=170474)

Jazilla
03-26-2007, 15:18
I have been reading her journals and she likes to talk. She is moving slow but she isn't having the foot problem she usually does. She she wrote she will have lots of pictures soon, should be interesting to see. I like hammock pictures.

Just Jeff
03-26-2007, 15:26
I really like Michele - she's adventurous, willing to try new things, humble yet confident (a rare mix), and funny.

And yes, she likes to talk...but judging by post counts, a lot of us do!! I hope she keeps up her journal - a lot of folks start out strong then quit writing as they move up the trail.

FanaticFringer
03-26-2007, 15:43
I think if she finishes her thru-hike she might want to look at compiling her journal into a hammock camping/AT thru hike book. Would make for a great read. She is very witty. I love the story of the guy in the kilt. That was real funny.

ShakeyLeggs
03-26-2007, 21:28
I love the story of the guy in the kilt. That was real funny.

Yea so did I. I have been thinking about getting a kilt and that is some good advice hehe. :eek:

rhjanes
03-26-2007, 23:09
Yea so did I. I have been thinking about getting a kilt and that is some good advice hehe. :eek:

I've only been skimming her's. Can you post the date of the kilt deal? I can go look it up with that. thanks

ShakeyLeggs
03-27-2007, 00:58
I've only been skimming her's. Can you post the date of the kilt deal? I can go look it up with that. thanks

I tried but it seems a bunch of her entries have been lost I hope she gets them back because they were an interesting read.

Doctari
03-27-2007, 09:00
I tried but it seems a bunch of her entries have been lost I hope she gets them back because they were an interesting read.

Yea, I remember reading about "lots are wearing kilts" but now I can't find it. Her warning as best I remmber it: If you are going to wear a kilt, learn to sit "like a lady". As a long time kilt wearer I will attest that this is hard to remember, I have been wearing one at least 90 days a year for 5 or more years & I still forget sometimes.

I loved her line after she tried to go back to ground, "To stay warm" that she is decidedly a hammock hanger & will never (Willingly?) go back to ground again.

Doctari.

lvleph
03-27-2007, 17:12
I noticed the 18th through the 21st were missing.

FanaticFringer
03-27-2007, 20:19
I've read up to #23 before it disappeared.

ShakeyLeggs
03-27-2007, 20:54
I've read up to #23 before it disappeared.
Same here. My bookmark keeps coming up "Journal Entry Not Found"

I hope this gets sorted out with her next update.

slowhike
03-27-2007, 21:29
the link FF gave on the 1st post of this thread takes me to her journal but it only shows her entries thru march 18, 2007.

Coffee
03-27-2007, 22:31
I wonder if she said something she later regretted. I read all of her last update. Everything looked fine though. A lot better than some of Skeemer's stuff, but that is what makes his good to read.

ShakeyLeggs
03-27-2007, 22:38
Im thinking it may be a glitch with her journal or she oopsed. But then again she may have decided it needed tweeking and deleted them. Hopefully when she updates she will let us know one way or the other.

FanaticFringer
03-28-2007, 15:50
I wonder if she said something she later regretted. I read all of her last update. Everything looked fine though. A lot better than some of Skeemer's stuff, but that is what makes his good to read.

I wondered if she deleted the part about "the bad guy" and the pokey.
I looked and it is still there. Kinda wonder if that is such a good idea seeing as though this info. could possibly be read by those slime bags.

Coffee
03-28-2007, 16:04
I wondered if she deleted the part about "the bad guy" and the pokey.
I looked and it is still there. Kinda wonder if that is such a good idea seeing as though this info. could possibly be read by those slime bags.

Yeah. She's a smart person, if she deleted or had deleted a part of it I am sure she had a good reason.

ShakeyLeggs
03-28-2007, 20:46
I just checked her jornal and it was edited today. I now see all the entries up to the 22nd. The kilt (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=170477) story is there also the police (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=169603) incident is there.

lvleph
03-29-2007, 12:33
Entries to the 23rd are all back up.

Certain
03-30-2007, 16:20
Hey everyone...man is it hilarious to read what people say about you behind your back when you're out hiking! LOL

Ok...to answer some questions you all had. I intentionally keep my journal entries several days behind where I'm located for safety purposed, which women have to worry about more than men out here.

My particular pocketmail only works with landlines, so when I hit towns, I send them to Rachael, who I have instructed to post 1 new one per day. The reason some disappeared, was because she threw about 5 up at one time, and I wanted more time between my actual location and the entry showing. Nothing was changed in them, just "un displayed" and then put back up one at a time.

Yup, I LOVE to write in my journal, and it's as much for myself as for anyone else. I may never get another opportunity to do this again, and I want to remember every detail, but in general, I love to write too. :)

I did think twice about putting up the whole Woody Gap story, but then I decided screw it. If those meth heads can track me down out here, I'll give them the fight of their lives! LOL

Currently in Franklin, NC for the April Fool's Hiker Bash. Nicole, the girl I've been hiking with said she wanted to rename me "Hammock Flaunter" because evertytime I set it up around people, I get asked questions and I always put out an invite for anyone to come over and "get the tour". I'm trying really hard to make you all proud and convert as many people as possible! LOL

As for # of miles per day, you all probably don't know that I had very little time for physical preparation due to working 3 jobs to save the $ for this thing, so I'm totally listening to my body. That, and we are stopping and enjoying every beautiful thing we encounter and doing lots of feet soaking in the ice cold streams. Why hurry...."life" will always be there. :)

Having an incredible time and depending on how much fun I'm having at the Hiker Bash, I'll either head back out tomorrow or the next day for sure. Oh, and BTW, I am taking a picture of EVERY single hang EVERY nite I camp! (I get made fun of for this, but what can I say) I sent Rachael 132 pics from the first 2 weeks, so it takes a bit to upload, and her first chance will probably be this weekend, so standby. Pics will come.

In the meantime, I came up with a cool idea for a hostel called Hanger's Heaven, where the rooms all have eye bolts instead of beds. Seriously, I sleep better in my hammock than I do the beds at these places!

Thanks for all the comments and support guys and gals! Hoping to make it to the hangout in Hot Springs.

lvleph
03-30-2007, 17:03
As for # of miles per day, you all probably don't know that I had very little time for physical preparation due to working 3 jobs to save the $ for this thing, so I'm totally listening to my body. That, and we are stopping and enjoying every beautiful thing we encounter and doing lots of feet soaking in the ice cold streams. Why hurry...."life" will always be there. :)

I didn't mean it to sound like I was criticizing. I meant it more like, "she really does mean she is taking it slow." IMO if that is the way you want to hike then great. You are out there doing it and I am here behind my keyboard...

EDIT: I forgot to say keep on moving. I hope you make it all the way.

slowhike
03-30-2007, 17:06
all right!!! good to hear from you certain!
those crack heads don't have enough brains, ambition, money, or anything else to track you down... so thanks for sharing that story.
and thanks for alerting the police & getting those losers off the street<g>.
and thanks for being our hammock forums poster child!!! ...tim

FanaticFringer
03-30-2007, 17:13
Hey everyone...man is it hilarious to read what people say about you behind your back when you're out hiking! LOL

Ok...to answer some questions you all had. I intentionally keep my journal entries several days behind where I'm located for safety purposed, which women have to worry about more than men out here.

My particular pocketmail only works with landlines, so when I hit towns, I send them to Rachael, who I have instructed to post 1 new one per day. The reason some disappeared, was because she threw about 5 up at one time, and I wanted more time between my actual location and the entry showing. Nothing was changed in them, just "un displayed" and then put back up one at a time.

Yup, I LOVE to write in my journal, and it's as much for myself as for anyone else. I may never get another opportunity to do this again, and I want to remember every detail, but in general, I love to write too. :)

I did think twice about putting up the whole Woody Gap story, but then I decided screw it. If those meth heads can track me down out here, I'll give them the fight of their lives! LOL

Currently in Franklin, NC for the April Fool's Hiker Bash. Nicole, the girl I've been hiking with said she wanted to rename me "Hammock Flaunter" because evertytime I set it up around people, I get asked questions and I always put out an invite for anyone to come over and "get the tour". I'm trying really hard to make you all proud and convert as many people as possible! LOL

Having an incredible time and depending on how much fun I'm having at the Hiker Bash, I'll either head back out tomorrow or the next day for sure. Oh, and BTW, I am taking a picture of EVERY single hang EVERY nite I camp! (I get made fun of for this, but what can I say) I sent Rachael 132 pics from the first 2 weeks, so it takes a bit to upload, and her first chance will probably be this weekend, so standby. Pics will come.

In the meantime, I came up with a cool idea for a hostel called Hanger's Heaven, where the rooms all have eye bolts instead of beds. Seriously, I sleep better in my hammock than I do the beds at these places!

Thanks for all the comments and support guys and gals! Hoping to make it to the hangout in Hot Springs.

Great to hear from ya Hammock Flaunter. I like that name better than Certain.
Really fits you. I'm looking forward to the pics and I think it's etremely cool you're taking a pic of all your hangings. I can see a Hanger's Heaven hostel in the future when hammocks become more popular. You might just have to open that thing up and run it one day.

RockStar
03-30-2007, 19:52
I like Hammock Flaunt. Thats too cute!!!!! Certain is great but, the more time that goes by the more Hammock Flaunt seems better. ;) Who's with me?

Just Jeff
03-30-2007, 20:31
How about Certainly Flaunt? Or Hammock Certain?

headchange4u
03-30-2007, 20:50
Hammock Certain certainly has a ring to it.

Peter_pan
03-30-2007, 20:55

Your doing great....keep hanging....looking forward to the pics.

Pan

blackie
03-30-2007, 21:13
hammock certain gets my vote....great to hear you are doing well ...keep it up...and i am with you i hike to enjoy the world and all its wonders..if i wanted to see how many miles i could do in a day..i would hike in kansas...for sheer beauty..and experance....the AT is it ...IMHO...

RockStar
03-30-2007, 23:35
"Certainly Hammock Flaunting" lol She gets a first middle and last trail name.

blackbishop351
03-30-2007, 23:39
"Certainly Hammock Flaunting" lol She gets a first middle and last trail name.

Does that mean she's a thru-hiking presidential assassin? :p Reference the movie "Conspiracy Theory"...

Hooch
03-31-2007, 07:16
Certain, if you and Nicole are anywhere near Hot Springs the weekend of the SEHHA Hangout, let me know and I'll be more than happy to give you a ride from wherever you are. I'll be coming from Kentucky and will have plenty of room as it stands now. I was going to bring a co-worker who I'm trying to convert to hammocking, but he chumped out on me. There's plenty of room in my car. Just e-mail me and I'll give you my cell, call me and I'll pick you guys up if you need a ride in to Hot Springs. Keep on HYOH and love every minute of it!!

Certain
03-31-2007, 09:22
I didn't mean it to sound like I was criticizing. I meant it more like, "she really does mean she is taking it slow." IMO if that is the way you want to hike then great. You are out there doing it and I am here behind my keyboard...

EDIT: I forgot to say keep on moving. I hope you make it all the way.

Oh..I absolutely got ya man, I didn't take it as criticism at all, but people on this forum are so awesome about making sure we're all sticking together, and I love that.

Some pics are up now, about 80, and the other 50 will be up on Sunday or Monday. Go to the photos section of my journal. My favorite spot to hang so far has been Justus Creek, it was AWESOME!!

Gonna head out for a 15 mile slackpack today, come back to Franklin for the "big" nite of the bash tonight, tomorrow it looks like storms all day, and I'll need a zero after my first 15 miler, so steppin off again for good again on Monday and heading to the NOC for a quick resupply. I might just be in a perfect position to be at the hangout in Hot Springs...REALLY gonna try to be there. I'd love to see everyone again, especially since I half way know how to hang my hammock now! LOL Thanks for the offer of a ride Hooch. I might have the timing where I'm actually hiking into Hot Springs that weekend, but I'll keep ya in mind. Thanks!

As for the name, I'll see what happens. I really like Certain, but am not opposed to adding a hammock reference in there either. Time will tell I guess, but I am getting multiple eye rolls from my ground dwelling friends daily! :rolleyes: Oh, K-Man (now known as Hungus) is here too, YIPPY..another hanger! Off for my biggest day yet!

Dale
03-31-2007, 10:05
Love your journal Michele, I'm hiking with you in spirit. Your detail is great and I like all the hammocking info you are including. Keep it up.

Dale

attroll
03-31-2007, 11:08
Michele

If you need a place to post photos that is easier then Trail Journals let me know and i will give you access. I also will need a guine pig for the new WhiteBlaze journals that I will be releasing soon.

http://whiteblaze.net/jgallery/

http://www.whiteblaze.net/journals/

Bird Dog
04-01-2007, 06:20
all right!!! good to hear from you certain!
those crack heads don't have enough brains, ambition, money, or anything else to track you down... so thanks for sharing that story.
and thanks for alerting the police & getting those losers off the street<g>.
and thanks for being our hammock forums poster child!!! ...tim

I second you on that Tim. And Michelle, if it makes you feel better, I have an extra maglite or six lying around if you need some dependable home protection that will make you feel better! :D BD

FanaticFringer
04-04-2007, 16:04
Man that chick is some kinda funny::eek: :D :p

"I did end up lowering the foot end of my hammock, I was getting a head rush
because I was on such a decline! LOL After the adjustment, it was good enough
for me to fall into a deep slumber (after the snoring and farting sounds
stopped). Sound really carries in the woods! LOL"

lvleph
04-06-2007, 09:41
Can someone link me to Nicole's Trail Journal?
EDIT: Just found it. (http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=4802) Wow, that was easy.

blackie
04-07-2007, 21:00
i think i may have to get another computer...every day when i get home my wife is already on ..re-reading michele's journal and checking to see if she has made any new posts...i even caught my wife sneaking my maps out to plot her progress!!!..but the good side is now my wife is thinking of getting a HH so she can go with me...

slowhike
04-07-2007, 21:30
i think i may have to get another computer...every day when i get home my wife is already on ..re-reading michele's journal and checking to see if she has made any new posts...i even caught my wife sneaking my maps out to plot her progress!!!..but the good side is now my wife is thinking of getting a HH so she can go with me...

wow, that's pretty cool that your wife is that interested in michael's hike!

Hana Hanger
04-08-2007, 13:56
Aloha Certain Hammock Flaunter!
That way you can have a first middle and last name...lol
Really enjoying your journal...you do have a flare for writing.
Wishing you well, and keep on putting that one foot in foot of the other!

Frolicking Dino
04-08-2007, 16:06
Sounds like you fellows are finally figuring out the way to get your wives interested in going with you - let them see that nice women do go out there and survive :D

blackie
04-08-2007, 16:54
MY wife has camped with me for nearly 20 years..but it has always been in a living history setting where i made ever effort to make her comfortable...big tents , cots ,lots of coolers and cook gear..when i go on canoe trips or backpacking in the mountains she would stay home...but when i got my HH exp asm..she liked it but didnt think it was a " real " way to camp...but after i got her turned on to michele's journal she really got hooked..when michele wrote of her using a HH to go to events and was going to use it as her primary shelter on the wild rugged AT...well if a WOMAN says its that good ..then it must be
..now if i can just get michele to sing the praises of long canoe trips we are all set!! ... so how bout it michele? you up for a 200 mile float to the gulf when you get back from the AT??

RockStar
04-08-2007, 20:04
HAHA I told you guys that was a cute name! *high fives hanahanger!

Hooch
04-09-2007, 07:40
Certain, hope you guys are still having the hike of a lifetime! I've looked so very much forward to reading your journal. The entries are wonderul and I'm glad that you guys are going so well. My offer of a ride still stands if you and Nicole need it. Just e-mail me and I'll send you my cell number. Keep on HYOH x 2 (Hike Your Own Hike and Hang Your Own Hammock) and we hope to see you in Hot Springs!

Certain
04-12-2007, 15:19
Hey everyone! I'm in the town of Cherokee, NC (as opposed to going to Gatlinburg half way through the Smokeys). Seems I'll be having a visitor when I get to Hot Springs, so I need, and REALLY want to get through the Smokeys. Means I won't be at the hangout this weekend (bummer) but I'll DEFINITELY be at future ones, and I'll have tons more war stories to share too! LOL

A canoe trip sounds AWESOME by the way. I've already been thinking about getting into kayaking next. Hmmmm....

I had a nite into the mid-teens in the Smokeys! On our next episode, did Certain stay warm when the temps dropped that low? Stay tuned...the answers are coming! :)

Still having a GREAT time. A few rough days here and there, but that's to be expected. Heading back out tomorrow and getting through this park. Thanks SO much for all the encouraging words everyone. I'm still taking pics of every hang (which still gets eye rolls from my fground dwelling friends out here...they think I'm totally weird!) Haa haa

They just don't get it..... LOL

Oops, gotta get off the public computer. It just told me I have 30 seconds left. Oh, sorry I missed meeting you Sgt. Rock, at Franklin. I was so bummed to find out you were there and I was laying in my bed (unable to move) from my first 13.5 mile day! LOL Maybe at Trail Days.

blackie
04-12-2007, 23:50
when you get done and are well rested..i will be happy to canoe with you..any place any time..and hey your home aint tooo far from the boundry waters and that is a dream of mine...safe journey

slowhike
04-15-2007, 21:13
. Oh, sorry I missed meeting you Sgt. Rock, at Franklin. I was so bummed to find out you were there and I was laying in my bed (unable to move) from my first 13.5 mile day! LOL Maybe at Trail Days.

sorry michele, but you missed Sgt rock again. he paid us a surprise visit at the hot springs camp out.
but he plans to be at trail days.

Miu
04-23-2007, 12:25
Well, I would rather take it slow than risk being forced off the trail due to a stress fracture or some other injury.

Hooch
04-25-2007, 12:06
Michele, I'm glad to see all is going well with your thru. Sorry we missed you in Hot Springs at the SEHHA Hangout. E-mail me if you or Perisitant need anything, I'd love to drop you guys a little trail magic. Keep on hiking your own hike and hanging your own hammock. :D

Certain
04-25-2007, 12:08
Hey Everyone...in Hot Springs right now. I've come full circle from the first time I ever hung in my hammock at Ed Speer's hangout last Fall. (I'm wiping a nostalgic tear from my eye right now) LOL

Headin out tomorrow for Erwin. We were going to go today, but my buddy Persistent is fighting a wicked head cold, so she needed another day's rest and let's face it, there are worse towns than Hot Springs to zero in a few days! Everything's going great, hoping I've seen the last of the cold cold weather, but hey, if I can survive mid-teens, I can survive anything huh? LOL Take care everyone.

lvleph
04-25-2007, 12:47
Have fun hiking through VA!

Bird Dog
04-25-2007, 13:14
Keep truckin'. We are all pulling for you. BD

Certain
05-03-2007, 17:04
Hey everyone! In Erwin now. We hitched in from Sam's Gap (about 2-3 days south of the "normal" place people hitch into Erwin) seems I've got something going on with plantar faciitis on my left foot. :mad:

I think we're going to try some slackpacking with Ms. Janet to make up for our million zero days and to see how the foot takes it. Anyone know anything about managing pain associated with this? Any advice would be welcomed. I'll be damned if something like this ends my hike seeing we've been so careful about resting and doing low miles. I can deal with pain, I just need to know how to manage it, and if I'm going to end up doing irreversible damage if I keep hiking.

We zeroed in the woods yesterday, and I finally got to lounge in my hammock. AWESOME is all I have to say about it! Got pics, but they won't go up for a bit. I haven't mailed that mem. card home yet.

I am planning on being at Trail Days. Persistent said she feels like she's being preached to by a cult, perhaps we can all gang up on her at TD and get her to try hanging. I think the Mafia insignia is PERFECT!!!! :D

blackbishop351
05-03-2007, 18:30
Anyone know anything about managing pain associated with this? Any advice would be welcomed. I'll be damned if something like this ends my hike seeing we've been so careful about resting and doing low miles. I can deal with pain, I just need to know how to manage it, and if I'm going to end up doing irreversible damage if I keep hiking.

I haven't had that particular problem myself, but a couple of my friends have. From what I understand, it's an overstretch or tear of the connecting tissue that holds the fleshy part under the heel of your foot to the bone. I think it can end in some pretty permanent damage too, if it's not treated properly. Both friends who had problems with it had to wear a "runner's sock" (apparently it's pretty common among marathoners and the like), which basically immobilizes the foot/ankle at a bent angle. This allows the connective tissue to heal over the course of a few weeks or so. I don't think they had to wear the sock all the time, but definitely while sleeping at least. I'm not sure how practical it would be to hike during this recovery period.

lvleph
05-03-2007, 19:23
Rest is the first treatment for plantar fasciitis. Try to keep weight off your foot until the inflammation goes away. You can also apply ice to the sore area for 20 minutes three or four times a day to relieve your symptoms. Often a doctor will prescribe nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen. A program of home exercises to stretch your Achilles tendon and plantar fascia are the mainstay of treating the condition and lessening the chance of recurrence.

Hope this helps

Certain
05-03-2007, 19:45
Thanks everyone. I'm icing, resting again tomorrow, stretching, and may see a podiatrist to see if there is anytype of elevating heel cup I can use that will change the amount of "stretch" when I step. Hey...it's only pain right? :)

gumby
05-03-2007, 21:22
Thanks everyone. I'm icing, resting again tomorrow, stretching, and may see a podiatrist to see if there is anytype of elevating heel cup I can use that will change the amount of "stretch" when I step. Hey...it's only pain right? :)

Michelle I used to work for a Podiatrist, PF can be very bad and hard to heal if not taken care of as soon as possible. You should get to one as soon as you can. Don't mean to scare you, but you are doing so great I don't want you to have to leave your thru.

Gumby

blackie
05-03-2007, 21:24
i have had ortho problems my whole life( i was born club footed..had experamental surgery in 1963 fot it..but that is anothe story)...a pressure sock will help greatly with the night pain....what is happening is ..when you walk the connecting tissue swells and dosent function as it should...when you rest for a few minutes the area swells and gets out of proper place..it can make it almost impossible for the ankle to bend..you sort of peg leg when you start to walk again..after a few minutes the ankle will just sort of let go and the ankle will bend normally( this is the swollen area being pulled tight and back into place)....when you do finally stop for the night it will swell in minutes and the peg leg will return..and then the throbing will begin...and get worse as the night goes on...just being off the foot for 10 min can make it agony to get back on it..
if this sounds like what you have..then here is what i do for mine..
..first when you get up during the night ..be very slow in putting your weight on the foot..give it time to take the weight
second...use a surgical sock..wrap..brace something to keep pressure on the foot during the night..one during the day can help as well ..not too tight you will know when it is right..
third..when starting out in the a.m. ..be very carefull to start extra slow..give the swelling time to pull tight and get back into proper position
..the best advice is what you do not want to hear..get off the mountain and let it heal for a couple of weeks...if you rush it and dont baby.it....and i mean baby it ..it could cause it to tear..then that is a much longer healing time with a posible trip to the the doc and his friendly scalpel..
michele.. you are a marine..you are the one in the mud and only you can make the call.. but when you cannot manuver..you dig in and hold..

Just Jeff
05-03-2007, 21:52
Risk is a doctor - might be worth emailing him...he might have some ideas on how a long distance hiker can manage it.

ShakeyLeggs
05-03-2007, 22:35
Michele you might want to take look at this as well

http://whiteblaze.net/index.php?page=med_guide

Hooch
05-04-2007, 04:57
Certain, I also read something about using a splint to hold your foot in a dorsiflexed position while you sleep. That may help some also.

lvleph
05-04-2007, 08:02
I should probable go to the Dr. for my foot. My ankle has been hurting me for 3 months. I got new shoes and the pain went away for a week, but it is back again. I have been giving a bit of rest. I have only been walking 1 mi and up 18 flight of stairs, but have not been taking the stairs down. I am even going to skip over a Shenandoah trip this weekend I think.

Certain
05-04-2007, 09:49
Hey thanks everyone. I'm calling a doc today to see if I can get in. I think I've caught it before it gets out of hand, it JUST started, and I'm resting today. I'll keep ya posted on what I find. Regardless, I'll be at Trail Days, and I know that Orin guy is there with his foot booth, maybe I can talk to him too. Thanks!

lvleph
05-04-2007, 13:14
Maybe you shouldn't have started using those new inserts? The other ones seemed to be working fine for you right?

gstepclassical
05-04-2007, 15:29
Go back to the Superfeet if you can. The deep heel cup in them helps to prevent elongation of the foot due to the heel rolling over when you walk.

Certain
05-04-2007, 17:55
Yes, I only used the Spenco's for part of 1 day, and have used my superfeet the rest of the time. I also figure my shoes need to be replaced, so I have my new pair getting here tomorrow or Monday latest. I've got some tools now, thanks to all of you, and have rested/iced/stretched/vitamin I today. I'm going to slackpack tomorrow and see how it feels. Thanks everyone. See ya at traildays!! Hey....by the way, I'm "this close" to getting Persistent to agree to hang with us during trail days! So Hammock Engineer, bring that extra HH. I told her there would probably be enough extra gear for her to be able to just show up and hang. I'll keep working on her! :)

lvleph
05-04-2007, 19:12
Nice! :) Going to convert the world.

Hooch
05-04-2007, 21:03
Hey....by the way, I'm "this close" to getting Persistent to agree to hang with us during trail days! Told ya it'd happen by Pearisburg! :D

Hooch
05-05-2007, 01:11
Hey....by the way, I'm "this close" to getting Persistent to agree to hang with us during trail days!
:p :D It has begun. Resistance is futile. :D :p

slowhike
05-06-2007, 16:03
michele... i have a fallen arch in my left foot that can really take the sap out of me by the end of the work day or hiking day.
every body's different but what seems to be helping me is the heel cup that aggressively works to correct the arch from the heel instead of just putting an artificial support under the arch.
i also seems to be working better w/o the supperfeet. i've been using them for years, but they alone just aren't enough to correct the problem. ...tim

Certain
05-06-2007, 22:31
Update, I've learned some stretches that have helped a ton, have been icing at nite and I've slackpacked 23 miles in the past 2 days. Feeling better, not perfect, but much better. Trying to get a ride to Johnson City to find new shoes @ the outfitter there. Mine are toast, and the new ones I ordered just don't fit right. In better spirits though, and depending on how quickly the shoe issue can be resolved, we will either hike into Trail Days or have some friends pick us up a day or 2 out. Can't wait to see everyone!!!!

BillyBob58
05-06-2007, 22:49
michele... i have a fallen arch in my left foot that can really take the sap out of me by the end of the work day or hiking day.
every body's different but what seems to be helping me is the heel cup that aggressively works to correct the arch from the heel instead of just putting an artificial support under the arch.
i also seems to be working better w/o the supperfeet. i've been using them for years, but they alone just aren't enough to correct the problem. ...tim

I have had my best luck with Birkenstock shoes. Fantastik arch support. Better results than superfeet. I am now experimenting with the Birky insoles. I also had great rsults, arch wise, with some custom orthotics made for me by a podiatrist. But, they are real thick and raise my ankles in the boots, making me more prone to a turned ankle.

neo
05-17-2007, 21:02
i was reading her stats on her hike,it shows,nights in shelters,tents,homes,hostels,we here at hammocks may
want to suggest they add night in a hammock,since
hammocks are becoming more popular:cool: neo

http://www.trailjournals.com/stats.cfm?trailname=4316

RockStar
05-17-2007, 21:55
HEY thats true! See we NEED YOU here!

neo
05-17-2007, 22:02
HEY thats true! See we NEED YOU here!

wow i like your avatar on your profile cool:cool: neo

RockStar
05-18-2007, 03:55
wow i like your avatar on your profile cool:cool: neo

Troll made it. I am the model for the avatar! ;) hehehe I wish! Im one of "Trolls Hammock Angels"

neo
05-18-2007, 07:52
Troll made it. I am the model for the avatar! ;) hehehe I wish! Im one of "Trolls Hammock Angels"

that cool:cool: neo

Certain
05-18-2007, 15:29
i agree. I was going to ask for there to be a hammock option on TJ, because it physically hurts my hand to have to click on "tent." LOL

blackie
05-18-2007, 16:11
no no not the cave of horrors!!! dont make me go in there!!!....i tented once...it was a horrible exp.....i had to hang for a full year to get that taste out of my mouth!!!!

lvleph
05-18-2007, 18:24
I used a tent for years. I always got wet when it rained. Then I read Ray Jardine's book Beyond Backpacking and switched to tarps. On a trip to Panama I tried out a net hammock and thought that would be a good idea for hiking. Some how I found HH, and the rest is history.

Hooch
05-19-2007, 04:31
I used a tent for years. I always got wet when it rained. Then I read Ray Jardine's book Beyond Backpacking and switched to tarps. On a trip to Panama I tried out a net hammock and thought that would be a good idea for hiking. Some how I found HH, and the rest is history. I haven't tented since last year and I can't say that I miss it at all. Good riddance to bad rubbish as far as I'm concerned. Like I've said before, my dad and brothers still get a good laugh out of my hammpck, but I get the last laugh in the morning after a good night's rest and they're whining about their backs. :p At least my kid is on the hammock bandwagon, he loves his as much as I love mine, I think. :D I'm hoping after I get back from vacation to start on some of my more serious DIY stuff and make him a hammock more suited to his size with ring buckle supports and a rain tarp.

Ramble On
05-20-2007, 14:52
I see that Certain and Persistant made the front page of Trailjournals.com

Nice Journal.. been reading frequently.

Certain
05-21-2007, 22:38
Just FYI, I talked to Leif (brains behind Trail Journals) at Trail Days, and explained the need for a hammock option when you choose where you slept for the nite. He totally agreed, and he said he needed to add cowboy camping as well as tarp. He said he'd take care of it, so crossing my fingers we'll soon have a hammock option on TJ!! YIPPY!

BTW, I am in Charlottesville, VA (got a ride up from Damascus) staying with friends to get my foot treated by a doc and allow the time it needs to heal. I'm 99% for sure I'll be back out hiking by next weekend latest.

Hate to be sitting on my ***, but my decision now will greatly affect my hike up the road, and I don't want to make hasty decisions because I'm impatient. This hike is SO much fun, I don't want to screw it up by hiking on an injured untreated foot.

On that note, if anyone is driving down I-81 this coming Friday or Saturday )5-25 or 5-26) and is going as far as Damascus (which is 4 hrs south of my location) I'm kind of needing to find a ride back to Damascus if I can find one. If you're going, please PM me and give me you phone # so I can call you and see if it would work out. Thanks, and it was great meeting those of you that were at Trail Days!!!

Hooch
05-22-2007, 07:23
BTW, I am in Charlottesville, VA staying with friends to get my foot treated by a doc and allow the time it needs to heal. Ya get it? Foot? Heal? Heel.....get it? Nevermind. :p

lvleph
05-22-2007, 08:04
Don't push it. I have been trying to let my foot heal, but I am not sure if it is. It has felt a bit better for the last week, but it still hurts. I took a couple days off from 18 flights of stairs a day, but then went back to it. I may need to take a break from it again. I am still debating going to the doctor. So far my foot has been hurting for 5 months. Keep that in mind when you decide to go back out. Yes, I know I am giving you advice and not even following my own.

Hooch
05-23-2007, 08:09
I am still debating going to the doctor. So far my foot has been hurting for 5 months. Ok, the HF Nurse On Call says go get the foot checked out, lvleph. Especially if you're still thinking about that thru-hike. :D

lvleph
05-23-2007, 11:45
Yeah, I know I may need surgery. But, if I don't go in I don't need surgery right? It is starting to feel better though. I just need to actually let it rest, which is not what I have been doing. Once, I changed my shoes it improved immensely. The only time it hurts now is right after I climb the 9 flight of stairs to my office and when I wake up in the morning, due to the way I sleep. If it is still hurting in a month I think I will go in.

NCPatrick
05-23-2007, 11:57
That's what you said LAST month :rolleyes: .

lvleph
05-23-2007, 12:15
I knew someone was going to say that, but it has been steadily improving. Improvement means no doctor.

Hooch
05-23-2007, 22:13
Yeah, I know I may need surgery. But, if I don't go in I don't need surgery right? Denial isn't just a river, lvleph. Do yourself a favor and go get it checked out, man.

blackie
05-24-2007, 13:45
he is right..i tried to ignore mine for years untill it was too bad to stand..now i have damage for ever...michele used her head and went rather than risk it..in my humble opinion..better to go too soon then too late

lvleph
05-24-2007, 13:58
Mine didn't even hurt at all today. And I have actually done 27 flights of stairs so far. I think it is probably just about healed.

FanaticFringer
06-14-2007, 21:33
Another hilarious bit from her trail journal:

As I was packing everything up, lots of good ole boys drove up in their pickups and every single one of them walked out with only beer. LOL Then it happened, this guy walks out, sees me packing my pack and he goes, "Woooo Weeeee, that's my kind of trail hiker...a woman." He asked if I was headed to the falls (which I'll see first thing tomorrow) and then said he thought it'd be fun to party up there and how he didn't think he'd be an imposition if he showed up. Ummmm ya...seriously boys, if you want to hit on a woman, I'd recommend another opening line other than "Wooo Weee." I wanted to ask this guy where the General Lee was and if Boss Hog was still harassing him, but I didn't figure that would be well received, so I just smiled and went about my business.

TeeDee
06-15-2007, 16:25
Another hilarious bit from her trail journal:

As I was packing everything up, lots of good ole boys drove up in their pickups and every single one of them walked out with only beer. LOL Then it happened, this guy walks out, sees me packing my pack and he goes, "Woooo Weeeee, that's my kind of trail hiker...a woman." He asked if I was headed to the falls (which I'll see first thing tomorrow) and then said he thought it'd be fun to party up there and how he didn't think he'd be an imposition if he showed up. Ummmm ya...seriously boys, if you want to hit on a woman, I'd recommend another opening line other than "Wooo Weee." I wanted to ask this guy where the General Lee was and if Boss Hog was still harassing him, but I didn't figure that would be well received, so I just smiled and went about my business.

Some people are just born diplomatic :rolleyes:

T-BACK
06-15-2007, 18:24
I wanted to ask this guy where the General Lee was [quote]

And what's wrong with the General Lee?;)

T-BACK
06-15-2007, 18:28
Don't push it. I have been trying to let my foot heal, but I am not sure if it is. .

You should get it checked. I didn't and mine turned out to be a stress fracture that took over a year to heal because I was using it constantly. No permanent injury but a sure source of pain in my later years.:rolleyes:

FanaticFringer
06-19-2007, 23:25
Sometimes it pays to be a ground dweller:
http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=187833

slowhike
06-20-2007, 10:39
wow... that should be enough to wake someone up.

NCPatrick
06-20-2007, 10:52
Whew, that got my adrenaline going too, and I'm only reading about it.

jlb2012
06-20-2007, 12:02
btw - I thought it was better to just squat on you feet instead of laying down to minimize lightening danger - less chance of a ground current seeking a path through your body - is this correct?

Redtail
06-20-2007, 12:14
Wow, that made for some thrilling lunchtime reading. I guess the moral of the story is get off the ridge asap. Those storms can really sneak up on you in the green tunnel though.

blackie
06-20-2007, 13:08
the idea of squatting ..seems to be the accepted norm...but a direct hit will still fry ya..the big idea is to keep the lightning form crossing your chest such as from arm to arm so that it crosses the heart..this acts like the shocker panels you see in all the er drama's..it in effect stuns the heart and it stops..in the end i think much of it comes down to luck...and michele was juts plain lucky

Trillium
07-01-2007, 11:19
I noticed the 18th through the 21st were missing.
I've only read up to page 5 so there may be info on this further in the thread and if so, I apologize. Anyway, the 18th through the 21st are up and here is the passage regarding the man wearing the kilt:

Many male hikers wear hiking kilts...yes, as in Scottish kilts, but they are made for hiking and you can keep stuff aired out I guess. Well guys. . .seriously, if you are going to where one of these, then those "how to be a lady in a skirt" rules apply to you now (a little different following the rules ya'll made for us ladies 2 centuries ago huh?) LOL

See, today while eating lunch, a gentleman, who was wearing one, decided to walk over and stand 5" away from Nicole and bend over to get something. Ummm, trust me, we really don't want OR need to see your "junk"(as my friend Heather calls it), so please be aware...and poor Nicole...my God, she picked the WRONG time to look over at him..and I have been laughing about it all day. We were hiking behind this guy the rest of the day, and the thing was hiked way up in back, and we just kept laughing and laughing......and yes...crack kills! LOLIf another man wearing a kilt sees this and modifies his behavior so that no one else sees his private parts, then it will have been worth it to post this 3 months after it happened. LOL

FanaticFringer
07-01-2007, 12:11
I've only read up to page 5 so there may be info on this further in the thread and if so, I apologize. Anyway, the 18th through the 21st are up and here is the passage regarding the man wearing the kilt:

If another man wearing a kilt sees this and modifies his behavior so that no one else sees his private parts, then it will have been worth it to post this 3 months after it happened. LOL

Amen brother and welcome to the forum.

headchange4u
07-01-2007, 12:21
Many male hikers wear hiking kilts...yes, as in Scottish kilts, but they are made for hiking and you can keep stuff aired out I guess. Well guys. . .seriously, if you are going to where one of these, then those "how to be a lady in a skirt" rules apply to you now (a little different following the rules ya'll made for us ladies 2 centuries ago huh?) LOL

See, today while eating lunch, a gentleman, who was wearing one, decided to walk over and stand 5" away from Nicole and bend over to get something. Ummm, trust me, we really don't want OR need to see your "junk"(as my friend Heather calls it), so please be aware...and poor Nicole...my God, she picked the WRONG time to look over at him..and I have been laughing about it all day. We were hiking behind this guy the rest of the day, and the thing was hiked way up in back, and we just kept laughing and laughing......and yes...crack kills! LOL

I think that I would have to say something to him about his "junk" showing. That's just me though. Kinda along the same lines as telling someone they have a booger hanging out of their nose. I know it would be a little embarrassing to say something, but wouldn't you want to know if you had a booger in your nose? I would really hope someone would say something if I kept exposing my twig and berries or but crack to people. :p

When Doctari, his son, and I went hiking at the RRG recently he wore a kilt. When he started climbing the rocks to Indian Staircase I snapped a picture, not thinking. He told I had to be careful when taking pics of a guy in a kilt, especially when he's starting to climb a rock.:eek: Luckily the pic was "junk" free.:p

Hooch
07-02-2007, 08:19
I think that I would have to say something to him about his "junk" showing. That's just me though. Kinda along the same lines as telling someone they have a booger hanging out of their nose. I know it would be a little embarrassing to say something, but wouldn't you want to know if you had a booger in your nose? I would really hope someone would say something if I kept exposing my twig and berries or but crack to people. :p

When Doctari, his son, and I went hiking at the RRG recently he wore a kilt. When he started climbing the rocks to Indian Staircase I snapped a picture, not thinking. He told I had to be careful when taking pics of a guy in a kilt, especially when he's starting to climb a rock.:eek: Luckily the pic was "junk" free.:pI know a couple people who are into their whole Scottish heritage and wear kilts. As best I am aware, they wear some kind of undergarment or another with it. Those who go "regimental" or "commando" really should warn others.

Cannibal
07-02-2007, 11:03
Those who go "regimental" or "commando" really should warn others.

...and check often for ticks!

blackie
07-02-2007, 20:30
nothing worn lassie...everything is in perfect working order!!!!

BillyBob58
07-16-2007, 22:40
In the tarp and hammocking worlds, there is always talk about misting, which is basically where rain drops hit the tarp @ such a pressure, that water sometimes sprays through the tarp. This happens with silnylon. Well I've not had this problem, and I have a theory as to why.

If rain drops hit a very taught flat tarp surface, the impact of the rain drop is like a bug on a windshield...splat! I don't pull my tarp extremely taught. It doesn't flap around by any means, but I leave a small amount of play. I think this allows a good portion of the force of raindrop impact to be absorbed by the tarp, which now has a slight amount of give in it, which lowers the amount of psi's (pounds per square inch) actually impacting the tarp, resulting in zero misting. (god will this one start a conversation on my hammock forum! LOL) Just a theory.

Also:

Finally, I hang my hammock, and am really lookig forward to getting warm in my
bag. I change clothes, get out my bag to find that part of it got wet!!
NOOOOOOOOOOOO! My stupid trash compactor liner (inside my pack) got a small
hole in the bottom, so it leaked!! Seriously, it has been a hell of a day.
Also, one of my bottles of Aqua Mira got a hole, and I'm assumig it's the one
containing the chlorine, because it ate a hole through one of the hip belt
pockets on my pack! I discovered that today as well. Geez!!

I'm laying in my hammock with all my clothes on, hand\toe warmers and still
shivering. I just can't get warm.

So I've made a decision about the importance of keeping stuff dry.

a. Silnylon pack covers do nothing for keeping things dry. I think my
particular pack cover is just too thin and it soaks thru

b. Trash compactor bags although they work, are too easily punctured

c. I am going to purchase a Sea-to-Summit dry sack for my sleeping bag, and I'm
getting a big one to use as my inner pack liner. Really thinking about not
using a pack cover at all. Everything gets wet with it anyways. .....................................

I did buy a 35L dry sack (my new pack liner) and a 13L dry sack for my sleeping bag. I know it borderlines on overkill, but it only takes once (getting your down bag wet) to make you paranoid....

The voice of experience! Her journal is fascinating!
Bill

Cannibal
07-17-2007, 08:41
It's one of my favorites! HE's should be just as interesting/entertaining!

I bet she's right about the sil being kept really tight. That just makes sense; if there is some flex in the impact, the PSIs should drop significantly.

slowhike
07-17-2007, 12:22
It's one of my favorites! HE's should be just as interesting/entertaining!

I bet she's right about the sil being kept really tight. That just makes sense; if there is some flex in the impact, the PSIs should drop significantly.

i agree about the slack sil. time for someone to put it to the test:rolleyes:

Bird Dog
07-18-2007, 09:45
Whats the deal? Her journal hasnt been updated in a week. Is she still okay? Anyone know? BD

blackie
07-18-2007, 15:56
i have been in contact with certain all along her journey....she has had to leave the trail for a family emergency..she went home..but she will be returning to the trail very soon...everything is fine..i am sure she will make a post soon and let everyone know what going on ...just hang tight the story of certains thru hike is far from over

txulrich
07-18-2007, 15:58
Her updates tend to be about a week behind as well. She noted early in her journal that it was a case of not wanting any undesirables to be within a week of her location.

But, a family emergency is also a good reason not to post for awhile! I do hope everything will be well with her and her loved ones.

FanaticFringer
07-18-2007, 20:42
I wish her well also. I always look forward to her great adventure. She is made of the material to make it all the way.

gumby
07-19-2007, 07:49
Her posts make you feel like you are there. I like her style.
Michelle I hope things are Ok with your family.

txulrich
07-19-2007, 11:34
I'm more concerned about Persisent's (Michele's hiking partner until she was laid up) lack of recent posting. It's been a couple of weeks for her. Very uncharacteristic.

Bird Dog
07-19-2007, 12:06
I knew that she was posting about a week behind, but there for awhile a new post was going up almost daily it was just that that particular post covered the week prior. Glad to hear all is okay with her. Hope to hear some more soon. BD

Coffee
07-28-2007, 13:11
I think it harder than you think to keep up on a TJ. At the end of the day that is usually not the first thing on my mind. It seems like there is always something else to do.

But it's good to see that she will get back on. I'm expecting to run into her in the middle of nowhere or walking through some resturant.

slowhike
07-28-2007, 14:10
I think it harder than you think to keep up on a TJ. At the end of the day that is usually not the first thing on my mind. It seems like there is always something else to do.

But it's good to see that she will get back on. I'm expecting to run into her in the middle of nowhere or walking through some resturant.

i know you probably won't see this for a while, but good to see you drop a post HE! ...tim

RockStar
07-28-2007, 15:18
Her posts make you feel like you are there. I like her style.
Michelle I hope things are Ok with your family.
That is the CUTEST AVATAR! I need Jesus in a Hammock, now THAT would be funny! With a Santa hat on. lol and an Easter egg in hand! Ok that was too much, I admit. :p

i know you probably won't see this for a while, but good to see you drop a post HE! ...tim

I KNOW right! I too was impressed. I find HE's entries give me what I am waiting for from the NOBO's. And with the humor I love! "40 of my closest friend"-that was too funny.

Certain's TJ is like a good Lifetime Movie, where only the rocks and trail beat her up, and in the end she will overcome! :cool:

Coffee
07-29-2007, 07:58

Thanks. It will probibly be awhile before I can check back in.

FanaticFringer
07-29-2007, 18:56
Her recent post:
http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=196548

slowhike
07-29-2007, 20:15
thanks for the up date link fanatic. i had missed her last entry & had no idea what was going on w/ her.
sounds like things are stabilizing a little better right now, even though she still has a lot of unanswered questions.

rhjanes
08-13-2007, 16:00
Her latest entry is that she is off trail, but with a great attitude!

Certain
08-16-2007, 11:38
Hey everyone! Just wanted to say thanks for the wonderful encouragement you all gave me on my hike. Hope you're not too disappointed I chose not to go all the way, but you gotta do what you gotta do and this now gives me an opportunity to hit up next year's group of hikers with my hammock preaching! hee hee

I might finish up the trail next year, might section...not sure, but let me tell ya, NOTHING like having the absolute confidence that you'll be able to find a comfortable place to sleep every single night regardless of terrain (it became a game for me). I just can't imagine doing the AT in a tent...but I'm preachin to the choir...I know this. :D

For anyone that might have questions, feel free to ask away. I'd love nothing more than passing on info to everyone from my 3-season, 4 month AT adventure.

Cool thing is I'm 99% for sure I'll be at the Ed Speer's hangout in Sept. in Hot Springs (possibly bringing a virgin hanger with me). I sure hope to see many of you there. Thanks again for all the great comments.

stoikurt
08-16-2007, 12:04
Welcome back Michele, I mean Certain. It was a lot of fun to follow your journal. I looked forward to checking for and reading your udates...and I will miss that. But you gotta do what you gotta do. I plan on being at the September hang so I look forward to meeting you if you can make it.

RockStar
08-16-2007, 12:35
Wish I could come to the September hang. Wich you could come to our hang this weekend. I am only allowed 1 hiking trip a month and am going for a week with Two Speed to the Grayson Highlands. Sept1-5. Welcome back!

jlb2012
08-16-2007, 13:48
Hey RockStar - I plan on being up in that area also Sept 1-3 for the Blueberry Massacree (see Carolina Hikers in yahoo groups for more discussion) We will be basecamping in the Rhododendron Gap area so if you are in the area and you see the world's largest MacCat tarp its probably me.

Hey Certain - how's the foot? Are you in Virginia now? - if so maybe we could get together a group of hangers and hit one of the local areas - I live a few miles from Swift Run Gap in Greene County. I really enjoyed your journal and look forward to your hike next year.

headchange4u
08-16-2007, 13:49
Welcome back Michelle. I hope you had a good hike. I hope to see you at the September SEHHA.

Cannibal
08-16-2007, 13:52
Your journal got me hooked on reading Trail Journals. Thanks for the stories.

FanaticFringer
08-16-2007, 14:55
Sorry to hear it ended but glad to have you around here again. Welcome back.

Hooch
08-16-2007, 16:13
Michelle, welcome back. We're always glad to se you. I'm sorry your thru ended, but you're a better person for what you've completed and for putting priorities in line. I'm "certain" that you'll finish the AT, you're too determined not to. I hope to see you in Hot Springs at the September SEHHA Hangout. If you're passing through Lexington, you're welcome to carpool/ride with me if you like. I can always make a little extra room. I think HC is gonna maybe ride with me, so I have room for 2 more. Just let me know. Glad to have ya back!

Edit: If you want to, shoot me a PM or an e-mail and we'll work something out, no charge for gas. My way of paying you back for writing such a kick-a$$ Trail Journal for us to read!

slowhike
08-16-2007, 21:18
hey certain... good to hear from you.
i'm sure you made a wise choice, with much thought about stepping off the trail... for now.
hope to see you in hot springs. ...tim

blackie
08-16-2007, 23:03
ok cetain..here is the question..( you said ask away..lol)....what if any changes would you make to a HH..for hiking the AT?
plus what cold weather changes would you suggest..?

Jazilla
08-17-2007, 07:00
Michelle, I am sorry to hear about you having to come off the trail. I have been keeping up with your Journal since you started. I have been slow at reading so I just found out yesterday that you got off. You have such a great outlook on life. Thank you for sharing your experience with everyone on TJ.

Jazilla
08-17-2007, 07:00
Did the biner on your ridgeline come in handy or not so much?

Peter_pan
08-17-2007, 07:09
Hey everyone! Just wanted to say thanks for the wonderful encouragement you all gave me on my hike. Hope you're not too disappointed I chose not to go all the way, but you gotta do what you gotta do and this now gives me an opportunity to hit up next year's group of hikers with my hammock preaching! hee hee

I might finish up the trail next year, might section...not sure, but let me tell ya, NOTHING like having the absolute confidence that you'll be able to find a comfortable place to sleep every single night regardless of terrain (it became a game for me). I just can't imagine doing the AT in a tent...but I'm preachin to the choir...I know this. :D

For anyone that might have questions, feel free to ask away. I'd love nothing more than passing on info to everyone from my 3-season, 4 month AT adventure.

Cool thing is I'm 99% for sure I'll be at the Ed Speer's hangout in Sept. in Hot Springs (possibly bringing a virgin hanger with me). I sure hope to see many of you there. Thanks again for all the great comments.

Michele/Certain,

Welcome back.... Great hike! Congrats.

Pan

peanuts
08-17-2007, 13:26
welcom back michele, and congrats on hike. your journal was fun to read:)

Perkolady
08-17-2007, 14:49
Welcome back Certain!

Thanks for posting your journal, which I not only enjoyed, but learned a LOT from. I'm planning on my own thru in a few years, and thanks to your journal, I have confidence in hanging the whole way. :)

I really appreciate your openess as to what trail life was like for you. I also appreciate all the hanging info and tips!

You had an amazing hike! It was quite inspiring for me! :)

Perkolady

Certain
08-17-2007, 18:18
ok cetain..here is the question..( you said ask away..lol)....what if any changes would you make to a HH..for hiking the AT?
plus what cold weather changes would you suggest..?

The biggest change I would make to the HH is to have a portion of the bugnetting that is velcro-detachable to create a port to the outside that is located where your head is (like on the side). The reason is that I would have preferred to rig my water bottle outside of the hammock and pull only the drinking tube in instead of having the whole bottle hanging from the ridgeline. I personally prefer to keep water totally away from my down and/or sleeping dry camp gear (I used a down sleeping bag, jacket, and underquilt). Even with synthetic gear, I'd prefer this set-up.

Because I LOVE using the carabiners in my suspenion (suspension order is: Tree--tree hugger with ends connected to a load bearing carabiner--HH spectra tied to the carabiner) I'd recommend getting extra long tree huggers, because believe it or not, there were many trees on the AT that were large enough in diameter that the standard tree huggers were too small to completely go around. In that case, I used the tree huggers in the traditional manner minus the carabiners, but the biners speed up the tying up so much, I'd never consider hanging without them if possible.

For cold weather, I don't think it matters what hammock you're using. It's the tarp and the way you pitch it. All I can say over and over again is pitch the tarp corners directly to the ground (no self-tensioning lines). Don't worry if it's not taut or pretty (only time you'd need to worry is if you're in high winds, then I'd recommend finding shelter from the wind which you should do anyway). You absolutely have to stop the airflow under the hammock. So this means, the smaller stock tarps for most people will not be adequate in extremely cold temps, especially if you're a cold sleeper like me. The other thing is filling in any gaps between the bottom of the tarp and the ground with duff (leaves, sticks, twigs, dead rabbits..whatever you can find). Try to hang your hammock so it is perpendicular to the wind (so the wind will be blowing against the tarp, which is blocking it from you.) Just think of sealing yourself up (obviously the head and foot ends are open, but as long as the wind isn't blowing through, it didn't make a big difference. I was comparing my morning temps with Persistent's (Big Agnes Tent user) and there were only a few degrees difference for us, which I actually believe was our thermometers, not our set-ups.

Also, if your tarp ties to the tree seperately from your hammock (I think most do), tie your tarp lines on the tree below the hammock suspension on the tree. The tarp lines will cross the hammock lines, but what this does is lower the tarp height and when you get into your hammock (and the hammock drops lower) it's that much less of an airspace that your body heat has to warm.

In my coldest nights in the Smokies (low teens with wicked wind) I resorted to adding hot water bottles and hand warmers. I'm THE BIGGEST cold weenie on the face of the Earth though, so if I can deal, I'm sure any of you can.

If I think of anything else, I'll add it later. I do want to help anyone that has questions though.

Certain
08-17-2007, 18:23
Did the biner on your ridgeline come in handy or not so much?

I only disconnected that biner 1 time the entire time I was out there. That was the day I zeroed in the woods due to my foot flaring up. On that day, I was REALLY glad I had that biner, because it was warm and whereas Persistent (Big Agnes Tent user) measured 100 degrees inside her tent that day, I was lounging comfortably on the outside of my HH (I do have a pic of this I'll post here).

There's very little time for lounging on a thru-hike, but, I'd still definitely recommend adding the biner to the ridgeline, because you never know what's going to happen, and having the ability to lounge comfortabley all day is a big deal if you find yourself in that situation.

It was one of the few times Persistent outwardly showed a bit of jealousy (by that time she was already oversaturated with my hammock preaching...hee hee). I was hanging comfie all day, she had the ground and her hot tent to contend with.

T-BACK
08-17-2007, 18:59
Michele,

I'm sorry to hear that your hike had to end, but I'm glad to see that you have such a great attitude about it. We're all very proud of you. I've been following your hike and Hammock Engineer's in anticipation of starting my own in October. Thanks for all your tips and advice along the way.

FanaticFringer
08-17-2007, 19:53
Michele, have you given any thought to the ring/buckle set-up that is all the
rave here?

eyewall
08-19-2007, 23:47
Welcome back Certain. I hope to meet you someday, preferably not in the vicinity of thunderstorms! Will try out your tarp suggestions on my upcoming hike on the Superior Hiking Trail.

Certain
08-20-2007, 18:43
Michele, have you given any thought to the ring/buckle set-up that is all the
rave here?

Actually I did think about it. I even bought the straps and buckles, but the only sewing machine I had access to couldn't handle going through the webbing, so I shelved the project for a bit. After spending 4 months with my current system, it'll be hard to convince me to change, because it's second nature now. However, I am hoping to see this system at Ed Speer's hangout this September.

I have a question for the buckle/ring hangers though. One reason I love just adding biners to the regular HH suspension is because when it's cold outside, your hands are totally numb and/or it's blowing sleet and freezing rain, your dexterity goes out the window, so the biners make it even easier to tie up. Are you having to thread the strap through the ring/buckle? I know, seems like a petty thing, but there were several evenings in NC/TN it would have been really difficult to do anything that required dexterity. Just wondering.

RockStar
08-20-2007, 19:06
I can tell you from experience that in 90 degree heat -Dexterity is no problem! Especially when Stoikurt, Funny Money, and Blackie do all the work! :D ;) Just joking! or am I? Wish you were there doncha?! :cool:

stoikurt
08-20-2007, 19:29
I have a question for the buckle/ring hangers though. One reason I love just adding biners to the regular HH suspension is because when it's cold outside, your hands are totally numb and/or it's blowing sleet and freezing rain, your dexterity goes out the window, so the biners make it even easier to tie up. Are you having to thread the strap through the ring/buckle? I know, seems like a petty thing, but there were several evenings in NC/TN it would have been really difficult to do anything that required dexterity. Just wondering.

Once the webbing is threaded thru the rings or the buckles all you have to do is wrap the end of the webbing around the tree and clip the biner (already in a loop at the end of the webbing) back to the webbing and then adjust the tightness of the webbing thru the rings or buckles.

If your webbing is wet and frozen it might be a problem in the rings or buckles. I haven't heard of anyone mentioning that problem yet, though. I'm beginning to sway more towards the buckles than the rings now.

FanaticFringer
08-20-2007, 20:47
Actually I did think about it. I even bought the straps and buckles, but the only sewing machine I had access to couldn't handle going through the webbing, so I shelved the project for a bit. After spending 4 months with my current system, it'll be hard to convince me to change, because it's second nature now. However, I am hoping to see this system at Ed Speer's hangout this September.

The straps should already be pre-threaded thru the rings or buckles before your hike. Never really have to be undone. Just adjust length at ring/buckle for appropriate tree distance/sag.

jlb2012
08-21-2007, 03:53
Actually I did think about it. I even bought the straps and buckles, but the only sewing machine I had access to couldn't handle going through the webbing, so I shelved the project for a bit.

one alternative to sewing the loop in the strap for the 'biner is to use a round turn and two half hitches - no need to sew and no 'biner needed - it does however use a bit extra strap especially on the larger trees

Ed Speer's 4 wrap knot is another possibility but it uses even more strap than the round turn and two half hitches

BillyBob58
08-21-2007, 21:05
Michelle, I spent a lot of pleasant time reading your journal. It was really enjoyable and educational. Thanks for all of that and welcome back. Maybe soon you can fill us in on what you learned- there is no teacher like personal experience, as long as you survive! For one thing, you can fill us in on you ideas on how to prevent and deal with wet equipment/insulation.

I agree with FF, just leave everything threaded thru the buckles, leaving nothing to do but wrap once ( or more if you desire) around the tree with webbing, clip biner around webbing, and tighten. Quickly loosen and quickly re-tighten if adjustment of height or centering is needed. Sweet!
Bill

Coffee
08-25-2007, 12:43

It looks like you have the right mentallity to do what is best for you. Don't worry, it will all work out in the end.;)

If you want to do a section later this year southbound, drop me an email. I have only seen a couple northbound hangers.

Certain
03-04-2008, 20:52
Hey all....wow...long time no talk. Just wanted to let ya'll know, I've miraculously figured out a way to get back out and finish my hike this year...starting from where I left off last year (Front Royal, VA). Start date will be sometime around mid-late April. I can't wait. Hope everyone is well!!

~Michele "Certain"

Iafte
03-04-2008, 20:55
Congrats Michele!!! Let me know if you need anything around PA-NY area.

Hooch
03-04-2008, 20:59
Hey all....wow...long time no talk. Just wanted to let ya'll know, I've miraculously figured out a way to get back out and finish my hike this year...starting from where I left off last year (Front Royal, VA). Start date will be sometime around mid-late April. I can't wait. Hope everyone is well!!

~Michele "Certain"Way to go Certain! Congrats! I'll definitely have to keep my eye on your TJ again. Keep us posted and let us know if you need anything or can help in any way!

BillyBob58
03-04-2008, 21:13
Excellent, Michele! I really enjoyed your TJ, and look forward to reading it again.

FanaticFringer
03-04-2008, 21:14
Good to hear from you. Cant wait to read your TJ again.

slowhike
03-05-2008, 01:01
yep, good to hear from you. i'm glad you're going to be able to get back out there.

NCPatrick
03-05-2008, 06:52
Yep, congrats! Glad it all worked out for you to get back out there. Keep us posted!

Hooch
03-05-2008, 08:00
Maybe HE really is right. It will all work out in the end. :D

peanuts
03-05-2008, 09:09
congrats certain.... good to know you are alive and well!!!

HappyCamper
03-05-2008, 16:20
That's so great. Good luck. Will be reading your TJ. :)

headchange4u
03-05-2008, 16:28
That's great. Best of luck to you and good to hear from you.

Peter_pan
03-05-2008, 16:53
Alllll Right...Good luck and enjoy the hike.

Pan

NCPatrick
04-22-2008, 11:51
I've really been enjoying reading Certain's (Michele's) Trail Journal again.

Here's a link (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=225495) to it.

Iafte
04-22-2008, 18:29
Question is, will she make an apperance at the MAHHA hang this weekend... Duh, never looked at the dates, she will be long gone...

Hooch
04-22-2008, 18:39
I dunno about y'all, but I'm tickled pink she got back on the trail. I'm really glad for her. Go Certain, go!

Iafte
05-28-2008, 15:22
Bump

*cough*
Trail Journals 2007 : Backpacking and Hiking Journals (http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=233528)
*cough*

:D

HappyCamper
05-28-2008, 15:31
Such a nice guy, Iafte. Way to go!

FanaticFringer
08-28-2008, 19:07
Looks like she's in Maine now.

www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=250823

Iafte
10-08-2008, 14:18
Last update was that she was going to be able to summit today. She has been stuck at the bottem waiting for the all clear and finally got it yesterday that it would be open today.

Congrats!!!!!

FanaticFringer
10-08-2008, 14:25
:thumbup1::thumbup::thumbup1::thumbup::thumbup1:

NCPatrick
10-08-2008, 16:47
Whoohoo! I've been reading her TJ regularly. Very cool.

Hooch
10-08-2008, 16:54
It's official, she summited today around 3:45. Big fat congrats to Certain on a hike well spent! I'm pretty sure we were all "certain" she'd make it in the long run! :D:lol:

Peter_pan
10-08-2008, 17:06
Congrats Certain!!!! Way to hang in there...

Hope you can make the winter hang at Mt Rogers and entertain us all with stories of your epic hike and hang...

Pan

neo
10-08-2008, 17:12
:)way to go certain.congrats to ya sweetie:shades:neo

GrizzlyAdams
10-08-2008, 17:27
congratulations Certain!

Grizz

peanuts
10-08-2008, 19:52
:thumbup::thumbup:congrats certain!!!! a job well done!!!!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

slowhike
10-08-2008, 21:00
Way to go Certain!!!

Youngblood
10-08-2008, 21:15
Congratulations!

headchange4u
10-09-2008, 09:10
Congrats certain!!!

HappyCamper
10-09-2008, 16:40
Major! Congratulations!

rigidpsycho
10-09-2008, 16:53
Congrats Certain

Perkolady
10-09-2008, 18:31
WOW !! Congratulations!!!

(throwing confetti and streamers your way.... sorry, wish it could be money instead! :D)

Perkolady

eyewall
10-13-2008, 15:08
I knew you would make it, despite all the obstacles! Congratulations Certain...!!!

JayS
10-13-2008, 15:29
Congratulations! We're all proud of you!!!!

Iafte
10-20-2008, 19:25
6uRCCUMPKDw

Her summit post is finally up. :)

FanaticFringer
10-20-2008, 20:00
Awesome!!!!! :cool:

Hooch
10-20-2008, 20:34
Awesome video! Thanks for sharing! :thumbup::thumbup1:

Iafte
10-20-2008, 20:41
I didn't make it, I just copied knowing people here would like to see it.

swampfox
10-20-2008, 20:51
What a great video!
I am in AWE!
Congratulations Certain!

Hooch
10-20-2008, 21:03
I didn't make it, I just copied knowing people here would like to see it.Oh, no one here ever said you were that slick. Seriously, thanks pointing us in the right direction, then. Much appreciated. :D

Certain
11-01-2008, 12:29
Hey, thanks to all of you for your kind words and support, and especially to all the knowledge and info shared that got me up the trail without freezing to death. In the middle of re-entry...sorta sucking right now, but as always, it's a great distraction to read about what all of you hammocking pioneers have been up to since I've been gone. I've got A LOT of reading to do.

Shadowmoss
11-01-2008, 13:17
Welcome back to the 'real' world.

You were the inspiration that finally pushed me into hammocking. I now own 7 hammocks, and have a Warbonnet blackbird on order. See what you've done! :)

Just Jeff
11-01-2008, 15:22
Welcome back, Certain!! I still remember your first trip to Hot Springs that started this whole thing! Risk was there, and I think the Jacks showed you how to hook up your underquilt, and Ed Speer and Youngblood - you certainly know how to start a new hobby!

Certain
11-01-2008, 16:24
Welcome back, Certain!! I still remember your first trip to Hot Springs that started this whole thing! Risk was there, and I think the Jacks showed you how to hook up your underquilt, and Ed Speer and Youngblood - you certainly know how to start a new hobby!

Oh man...YOU have to give yourself some credit as the person who first showed me how to hang my hammock! I showed up to Hot Springs, you already knew who I was (probably due to the totally lost look on my face) and you hopped up and said, "Let's go, I'll show you how to do this." I still use the half hitch that you showed me for like EVERYTHING too!

Coffee
11-01-2008, 17:29
Welcome back to the fake world. I finished up about 10 months ago. It gets a little easier with time. I will say I look at most things a lot differently than I did pre-hike. Life just makes so much more sense when you are hiking.

I remember the Hot Springs campout well, and the 10 hrs I spent in the car with Certain. It was fun be around someone just getting into hammocks and planning a thru like I was.

Just Jeff
11-01-2008, 19:38
Haha - yeah, I remember when we were first going over the figure-8 lashing and your HH was WAY unlevel and not even close to being centered. We didn't fix it b/c we were just practicing the lashing, and Risk came over...politely as he could without laughing at us...and said in a low voice, "Hey, maybe you couldn't notice by standing so close but this hammock is very unlevel." Haha - he was so polite about it but I could tell he thought it was funny, until I told him what we were doing and that we'd rehang and center it once you got the lashing down. He's a good dude.

Mule
11-01-2008, 20:07
Michelle, I really truly enjoyed your journal and pictures and your sharing your trip with us. I have not read every work of your journal, but I intend to do so soon. Hey Marine, Semper Fi. Mule

pedro
11-01-2008, 21:02
Congrats, Certain! Great vid, too.

Hooch
11-02-2008, 08:46
Certain, along with plenty of others I'm sure, I followed your hike from the start last year. I was so stoked not only to hear of your finish, but to actually see the wonderful summit video that you posted. Your tenacity, commitment and never-say-die attitude are to be admired. Semper Fi, SGT Certain!

NCPatrick
11-02-2008, 17:44
Hi Certain,

You sure picked up a lot of supporters along your journey that I'm sure would be happy to help you any way they can with your transition too.

I enjoyed following your trip and I'm looking forward to seeing you again, this time up at Mt. Rogers.

blackie
11-07-2008, 21:42
remember..re-entry is a great time to begin planning your next great adventure..what shall it be..canoe the mis river..walk the great eastern trail?..or how bout that trans sibera hike i have been hearing bout..

Certain
11-16-2008, 11:13
remember..re-entry is a great time to begin planning your next great adventure..what shall it be..canoe the mis river..walk the great eastern trail?..or how bout that trans sibera hike i have been hearing bout..

I think canoe camping is next...hmm...now where could I find a guide for the first trip?

Shug
11-16-2008, 11:58
Touching video. When you pause to look back upon leaving the summit ..... got me.
Be proud and be patient with your re-entry into life in the world. No hurry. It is just time so take yours.
Shug of the Sniffle

BillyBob58
11-16-2008, 23:10
Hey, thanks to all of you for your kind words and support, and especially to all the knowledge and info shared that got me up the trail without freezing to death. In the middle of re-entry...sorta sucking right now, but as always, it's a great distraction to read about what all of you hammocking pioneers have been up to since I've been gone. I've got A LOT of reading to do.

Way to go, Michele the Certain! You are certainly something, something ( someone) most inspiring!