PDA

View Full Version : MD > Maryland Hangers

BigBearCamper
07-07-2013, 06:32
Any Maryland hangers out there? Would like to meet some.

jwright
07-14-2013, 18:08
Hey,

Belated welcome from another MD'er.
Must have missed this when you first posted...
There are a a few of us here.

Make sure you come out to the fall MAHAA in Oct. You can meet about 100 of us in person :lol:

Jason in Gaithersburg

Downhill Trucker
07-14-2013, 18:16
Hiya! I live in Baltimore and have been hammocking for some time now. Welcome to the addiction!!!

Cranky Bear
07-14-2013, 18:41
Sorry must have missed this, northern B'More here (well north of the city), near White Marsh.

Downhill Trucker
07-14-2013, 18:58
Sorry must have missed this, northern B'More here (well north of the city), near White Marsh.

Yoda, I'm in carney! You ever go backpacking around here (AT or otherwise?).

Turtle Creek
07-14-2013, 19:40
I am in Southern MD area - Calvert Co.

MacGyver09
07-14-2013, 20:17
Garrett County :-)

Cranky Bear
07-14-2013, 20:33
Yoda, I'm in carney! You ever go backpacking around here (AT or otherwise?).

All the time! I have done the MD At section many times, gone for day hikes out there many times, overnights at Gathland many times. I have also done day hikes at pretty much all the parks in the area (near me), sadly none allow overnight's or that would be the norm for us. Usually things are pretty sporadic due to work schedules.

billygoatA
07-17-2013, 09:21
Montgomery County

normis1
07-17-2013, 09:28
Mo Co. here as well.

Padovini
07-17-2013, 19:42
Cumberland here :)

Brian P.

EbbFlow
07-17-2013, 20:02
Hi everyone, Howard County here. So where do you guys go for overnight hangs nearby? Any place that would also let you make a camp fire?

lazy river road
07-17-2013, 20:28
Right outside the city. I go to Robert e Lee park and Oregon Rodge all the time for hikes. Gathland St park a great place for overnighters and yes they allow fires.

GDM
07-17-2013, 22:49
Another in MoCo here..

jwright
07-18-2013, 06:54
Hi everyone, Howard County here. So where do you guys go for overnight hangs nearby? Any place that would also let you make a camp fire?

The AT - any of the shelters in MD, they are all fairly close by. Lots of parking options. You can easily tailor the desired length of your hike. Campfires allowed in the fire rings and they are free. Plenty of trees around the shelters and tent sites for hanging. Its not remote, but you can't beat it for ease of access.

jason

JcarlsonAXP
07-19-2013, 00:12
Work in MoCo, live on the other side of the Potomac.

Demeter
07-19-2013, 18:31
Eastern shore of Maryland in the tidal wetlands of Dorchester County! This forum offers a great opportunity to hook up with fellow backpackers. I am also a hike organizer for a group out of DC http://www.meetup.com/dc-backpackers/. I am leading a Dolly Sods hike next month but it is full right now since we can only take 10 per camp into the wilderness area..

R00K
07-19-2013, 19:03
Welcome from Baltimore County.

Willy M
07-22-2013, 15:09
Howdy. I'm in central MD and hang mostly here (at my home) but also in Bedford Co. PA. In the past, I've hung in W.Va and outside of Ashville N.C. This is a great forum.

Vincebus
07-22-2013, 15:25
I'm a new hanger, been a member of the forums for a while, live in Taneytown, MD.

HappyCamper
07-22-2013, 15:29
Said above. . . Come to MAHHA weekend (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76537) in Oct. and you'll meet plenty!

Padovini
07-22-2013, 20:15
Hey HappyCamper, I am from Morgantown, and live in Fairmont during the week. I commute back to Cumberland on the weekends. Are there any others in the area to get a small group hang?

Brian P.

rockroot=:-(
07-23-2013, 02:29
MD is for hammockers :D
Rock !!! On!!!!!

BigBearCamper
07-23-2013, 05:03
Greetings to all you Maryland hangers. Getting quite a response to this thread, which is awesome. Would like to spread the word about a frozen butt hang in January. If any are interested, and that includes anyone you know who doesn't live in Maryland, lets put something together. I'm thinking about going to Swallow Falls State Park. Will get some info on camping there in January and post it as soon as I can. So, let me know who'd be interested.

Cranky Bear
07-23-2013, 07:20
Greetings to all you Maryland hangers. Getting quite a response to this thread, which is awesome. Would like to spread the word about a frozen butt hang in January. If any are interested, and that includes anyone you know who doesn't live in Maryland, lets put something together. I'm thinking about going to Swallow Falls State Park. Will get some info on camping there in January and post it as soon as I can. So, let me know who'd be interested.

Sounds like a pretty good idea, I would suggest that you make a new thread as a feeler to see what others input is. Bear in mind the other hangs going on in winter time you may be able to schedule it around them and get a good amount of people to show up!?!?

Headcracker
08-19-2013, 12:55
Frederick here always up for a trip

overthinker
01-03-2014, 10:55
Just found this thread, thought I'd chime in. From MoCo, live in PG now. Always looking for someone to hang with, although I'm a bit underprepared until I get my shipment of down from Wilderness Logics.

Lamboy
01-05-2014, 21:07
Waiting on my gear also, but I am from MoCo.

bdaabat
01-07-2014, 05:21
Another MD hanger here from Howard County! Any more news on a group hang?

Thanks!
Bruce

Macabe96
01-07-2014, 11:09
Greetings from the Ceciltucky. I realize this is an old thread revived, but how about we try to set up a winter hang sometime soon...as in before it is no longer winter, haha. Let's not talk about it, BE about it!

OldRagFreeze
01-07-2014, 11:31
Greetings from the Ceciltucky. I realize this is an old thread revived, but how about we try to set up a winter hang sometime soon...as in before it is no longer winter, haha. Let's not talk about it, BE about it!

I'd be in. Plenty of great spots on the AT out my way. :)

cpc1027
01-07-2014, 21:37
I'm in Bel Air. I've been mostly a backyard hammocker since I got into it. I don't get out camping as much as I used to, and I've only had the hammock out on a real camping trip a couple of times. I'm not geared up for winter hammocking, but I wouldn't mind meeting up with some of you in the warmer months.

Cranky Bear
01-07-2014, 22:27

Come to the NJ hang in a few weeks...great hang, great food, great people...should be an awesome time in the pine!

Detman101
08-27-2014, 09:43
Frederick, Md here!
But I have gone day camping/hanging in PA and VA as well

Detman101
08-27-2014, 09:47
Right outside the city. I go to Robert e Lee park and Oregon Rodge all the time for hikes. Gathland St park a great place for overnighters and yes they allow fires.

Awesome! And it's close to me too!
Thanks! I didn't know about this park.
:lol::shades:

GoatHanger
08-27-2014, 12:05
Glad this got revived, Harford County here. Not many places close to me unless you're stealthy. If anyone knows of any though, let me know!

armyofsquirrels
04-28-2015, 17:21
Hey im new to the site. How active is MDs Thread for hammocks?

ccolclou
04-28-2015, 17:29
Baltimore County here! Patapsco is my go-to park for a quick hike and hang.

Detman101
04-29-2015, 08:48
Hey im new to the site. How active is MDs Thread for hammocks?

Not very, apparently...lol.
This is the most active I've seen this thread in the past year.

Lamboy
04-29-2015, 08:50
Yeah not as active as it could be. We have decent number of members in this area.

armyofsquirrels
04-30-2015, 01:53
Lol I couldn't tell. Only 4 pages of comments. Do you guys ever get together for camping trips or local meets? I know the people on TacomaWorld do a lot of meets and wheel/camping trips

Nhott
04-30-2015, 05:07
Hagerstown here. Occasionally a few folks meet up at Gathland State Park. MAHAA is where everyone gets together.

This summer I'll be packrafting Antietam Creek from Hagerstown down to Harpers Ferry and then hiking back up to Gathland. I don't have it scheduled yet but if you are interested let me know.

Detman101
04-30-2015, 08:33
Lol I couldn't tell. Only 4 pages of comments. Do you guys ever get together for camping trips or local meets? I know the people on TacomaWorld do a lot of meets and wheel/camping trips

I haven't seen any group invites yet.
I'm sure people that are friends in the area get together from time to time.
I take my co-workers on hiking trips at lunch, but that's about the most that I can get anyone I know in this area to commit to anything. And only after they've stuffed their faces and gotten fat over the winter. By the time the weather gets to 80+ degrees, they're too out of shape and fat to tolerate sweating.

Meh...

armyofsquirrels
04-30-2015, 09:25
I haven't seen any group invites yet.
I'm sure people that are friends in the area get together from time to time.
I take my co-workers on hiking trips at lunch, but that's about the most that I can get anyone I know in this area to commit to anything. And only after they've stuffed their faces and gotten fat over the winter. By the time the weather gets to 80+ degrees, they're too out of shape and fat to tolerate sweating.

Meh...
Lol how much hiking are we talking here? I'm good for atleast 4 miles along the C&O canal I've been working my way up.

Detman101
07-04-2015, 08:00
Lol how much hiking are we talking here? I'm good for atleast 4 miles along the C&O canal I've been working my way up.
I live I west Maryland and I only hike about 2 miles max each time I go out by myself. When I take my co-workers I only go about a mile.
Where is the C&O canal located?

armyofsquirrels
07-04-2015, 09:32
I live I west Maryland and I only hike about 2 miles max each time I go out by myself. When I take my co-workers I only go about a mile.
Where is the C&O canal located?
Harper's Ferry Area.

Detman101
07-04-2015, 09:35
Harper's Ferry Area.
Awesome, that's right down the hwy from me! If you'd like to get together for a short hike that would rock!

paustin
07-04-2015, 14:16
Frederick area here. Would love to do a group hang. Let me know if y'all are interested

Detman101
07-04-2015, 21:15
Frederick area here. Would love to do a group hang. Let me know if y'all are interested

I'm in Frederick/Walkersville and I would like to participate in a group hang.
Send me a PM if it goes on please.

sockie
07-10-2015, 11:52
I'm in Frederick/Walkersville and I would like to participate in a group hang.
Send me a PM if it goes on please.
I'm in Glen Bernie and am planning on a few day and weekend hikes

Detman101
07-10-2015, 12:07
I'm in Glen Bernie and am planning on a few day and weekend hikes
That's Baltimore area correct?

sockie
07-10-2015, 15:10
That's Baltimore area correct?
Yes, by Pasadena

Detman101
07-10-2015, 16:58
Awesome! Count me in for the next hike please!

sockie
07-10-2015, 19:47
Awesome! Count me in for the next hike please!
Thinking about hitting gunpowder falls tomorrow. Are you in?

Detman101
07-10-2015, 19:48
A bit short notice sir.
I've got a picnic/bushcrafting event tomorrow all day.

sockie
07-11-2015, 08:36
A bit short notice sir.
I've got a picnic/bushcrafting event tomorrow all day.
No problem.... just sitting around last night and was talked about. Leaving here in about an hour or so. Lol

Detman101
07-11-2015, 09:57
Kewl kewl...have a great time! I'm going with you in the next two weeks though.

viktor
07-16-2015, 11:59
Harford County here! Noticed OP is from Havre de Grace?! I'm right nearby!
Definitely hoping some local groups/trips would pop up.

jdenkevitz
07-18-2015, 14:29
I would be interested in maryland hangs. Im in Owings Mills (very close to soldiers delight).

On a whim after work yesterday I drove to Gathland, hiked in 4 miles and hung near Ed Garvey Shelter on the AT, slept over, then hiked back and was home by lunch today.

beenaround
07-19-2015, 17:42
Still working on all my gear, but its coming together. Im in MoCo if there is ever an organized GTG id be up to hang.

OldNWay
07-20-2015, 09:35
Reside 20 min north of MD Pa line. Off every Sunday and Monday so it's hard on short notice but with a little advance planning I can request a Saturday off. Going to try and get out next Sunday and Monday. Anyone interested

beenaround
07-22-2015, 21:03
Reside 20 min north of MD Pa line. Off every Sunday and Monday so it's hard on short notice but with a little advance planning I can request a Saturday off. Going to try and get out next Sunday and Monday. Anyone interested

I still need a few things, lines for the tarp and some small misc stuff. My cousin is coming into town this weekend from out of the country so I wouldn't be able to make it out - but it would be awesome to sort something out before the end of summer as a group.

OldNWay
07-24-2015, 05:33
Will look forward to it

McCormick
08-04-2015, 14:37
All the time! I have done the MD At section many times, gone for day hikes out there many times, overnights at Gathland many times. I have also done day hikes at pretty much all the parks in the area (near me), sadly none allow overnight's or that would be the norm for us. Usually things are pretty sporadic due to work schedules.

Baltimore City Here! Annapolis Rocks on the AT was a pretty cool hike wasn't to to far away and I believe they had some first come first serve camp sites. What we actually just had a great time doing was going to The Dolly Sod Wilderness area in WV it was about 4 hours away from the city and we (my girlfriend and I) left Friday after work so we had to do some night hiking, because the trail head of black bird knob is actually a meadow on the top of the mountain go figure. I "Googled" Red Creek camp ground and just parked on the side of the road.. once you hike a mile or 2 there are GREAT places to set up your Hammocks with a couple great water sources. We ended up setting up base camp and did day hikes because my girlfriends pack was giving her issues and it tends to be muddy a couple days after a rain.

Detman101
08-04-2015, 14:49
Awesome!
So Gathland state park is a place where you can hike in and camp overnight. That's where I need to go this summer.

Never knew about "Red creek" campground either, thanks!!

Detman101
08-04-2015, 14:51
Would love to but I can only do Friday night into Saturday. I have church on Sunday and the wife won't let me get away...

McCormick
08-04-2015, 14:56

OldNWay, Im also off Sunday and Mondays until school starts again sometime here in later august.. Ive been meaning to get out to "Ohiopyle" even though Im told its more like car camping I'm interested in the different water activities like cliff diving paddle boarding and such.

McCormick
08-04-2015, 15:12
Yes, by Pasadena

Sockie, I live in Baltimore half the week and Severn the other half.. Let me know what you have going on I am typically off Sunday through Wednesday.

sockie
08-04-2015, 15:16
Hey Hangers, I am in Glen Burnie (Anne Arundal)
Anybody planning a hang anytime soon? I am making my first Hammock as we speak. Anxious to hang for my first time.

beenaround
08-10-2015, 08:32
I know there was a thread a few years back about this - but does anyone know Little Bennett's stance on hammock camping? I asked about it 2 years ago and they said you need a tent if you are there overnight. I haven't really been able to get anyone on the phone the last few times I called.

jwright
08-10-2015, 16:44
I don't know about little bennett and hammocks but they do show a hanger (next to a tent) on the web page. My bigger gripe is the price --$21 plus some tax/fees if I recall correctly.
I'd rather drive up to Gathland state park and camp for free at the AT shelter (Crampton Gap) site or Washington Monument SP (or South Mountain Inn) and hike 3=4 mi and camp at Rocky Run. I can get to either one in about 40 min (I'm just below you in Montgomery Village).

beenaround
08-10-2015, 18:25
I don't know about little bennett and hammocks but they do show a hanger (next to a tent) on the web page. My bigger gripe is the price --$21 plus some tax/fees if I recall correctly.
I'd rather drive up to Gathland state park and camp for free at the AT shelter (Crampton Gap) site or Washington Monument SP (or South Mountain Inn) and hike 3=4 mi and camp at Rocky Run. I can get to either one in about 40 min (I'm just below you in Montgomery Village).

The price is kinda a bummer, but I want to test out my setup for a quick overnight. It's so close if something goes wrong I can head home and sort the issues out. If I was solid on the gear I'd want to go for 2 nights and I'd definitely be up for a further drive.

larryschwartz
08-17-2015, 12:42
Is anyone from Annapolis or nearby. I am writing some articles about hammocks and hammock camping and wanted to get some other perspectives.

McCormick
08-18-2015, 19:39
Is anyone from Annapolis or nearby. I am writing some articles about hammocks and hammock camping and wanted to get some other perspectives.

Larryschwartz, I will hopefully be in Arnold at the community college tomorrow afternoon and wouldn't mind talking some hammock camping.

larryschwartz
08-19-2015, 09:28
McCormick, I will give you a call.

Anyone else in the Annapolis area? I saw on the HF Google map that there was someone at the Naval Academy at one time.

Bigfoot86
08-27-2015, 16:59
Im in nova area but work in maryland, Montgomery county. I am willing to come to maryland hangs. So im in

robbylepczyk
08-29-2015, 17:23
I'm in northern Baltimore county, not far from Annapolis.

sockie
09-12-2015, 12:56
Anyone up for a car camping trip in Bull Run, Bristow, VA? They have plant of trail to hick during the day.
Planning the trip for 9/25 - 9/27.
Let me know soon so we all have time to book a sight.

Uphill
09-15-2015, 06:45
I'm in DC, less than a mile from MoCo. I enjoy heading over to Swains Lock in Potomac, MD for some easy over nighters. Now that the weather is cooling, I'll be heading out more often during the week.

I'm planning on taking my new WB RidgeRunner for an overnighter tonight, and potentially tomorrow night, and Thursday night as well. Any fellow hangers are welcome to join, it's a great little spot.

beenaround
09-15-2015, 07:18
I'm in DC, less than a mile from MoCo. I enjoy heading over to Swains Lock in Potomac, MD for some easy over nighters. Now that the weather is cooling, I'll be heading out more often during the week.

I'm planning on taking my new WB RidgeRunner for an overnighter tonight, and potentially tomorrow night, and Thursday night as well. Any fellow hangers are welcome to join, it's a great little spot.

Are there specific camp sites there? Ive never seen or heard of them, when I Googled it I only came up with a little yelp review.

**Edit**
Is this the website? Looks like tons of different sites available.

http://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Uphill
09-15-2015, 08:49
Are there specific camp sites there? Ive never seen or heard of them, when I Googled it I only came up with a little yelp review.

**Edit**
Is this the website? Looks like tons of different sites available.

http://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Yep, that's the site. There are a few "loosely designated" sites (fire rings with picnic tables) at that location. I've been down there at times when there are ground dwellers at each of the 4-5 fire rings, and I've just set up between two trees elsewhere. No reservation is required, it's first come, first serve. The C&O canal has sites every 6-8 miles that are all the same kind of deal. Some are more easily accessible by car, while others are several miles from the nearest road crossing. Metro DC's best kept secret IMO.

I like to hang there on weeknights. It's just outside of the beltway, so getting into work the next morning is a breeze.

Downhill Trucker
09-16-2015, 03:28
I might be trying to get out one of the next few Sunday nights for an overnighter. Anyone interested?

OldNWay
09-16-2015, 08:22
When hiking and camping overnight on the C&O can you park overnight?

Uphill
09-16-2015, 08:32
I might be trying to get out one of the next few Sunday nights for an overnighter. Anyone interested?

Where are you thinking of hanging?

When hiking and camping overnight on the C&O can you park overnight?

There are parking lots at select sites/points along the towpath. They are all open 24/7 to my knowledge.

OldNWay
09-16-2015, 10:02
Each time I hiked or biked the C&O someone dropped me off and picked me up at the other end.
In January I drive over 3 HR for the NJ winter hang I think we have enough interest in MD for a winter hang in January or February maybe on the C&O

Uphill
09-16-2015, 11:09
Each time I hiked or biked the C&O someone dropped me off and picked me up at the other end.
In January I drive over 3 HR for the NJ winter hang I think we have enough interest in MD for a winter hang in January or February maybe on the C&O

I think so too. Maybe a December hang so as not to interfere with the Jersey winter hang. The sites along the C&O aren't ideal for more than a few hangers at a time, but I know the state parks can usually accommodate groups.

Being based in DC, I'm lucky because I can attend Va hangs, like the Nova November hang just south of the district, as well as PA hangs like MAHHA in Pine Grove Furnace state park, and the Jersey Winter Hang. All are a reasonable drive or me. A MD hang would be a welcome addition.

A battlefield hang would be cool, and pretty unique to the state. I'm not sure if any of the battlefields have camping nearby.

Downhill Trucker
09-16-2015, 11:10
Where are you thinking of hanging?

There are parking lots at select sites/points along the towpath. They are all open 24/7 to my knowledge.
Don't really care. I live in baltimore so something within an hour or two of me. I have a bunch of overnight spots in the area bit always like to try something new.

Uphill
09-16-2015, 11:19
Don't really care. I live in baltimore so something within an hour or two of me. I have a bunch of overnight spots in the area bit always like to try something new.

My Girlfriend and I will be camping at Patapsco state park on Oct 3. We have a 5k on the morning of the 4th in Baltimore.

beenaround
09-16-2015, 20:54
I'm up for a get together, I have a few new pieces of equipment to test out. However due to work and family life I'd have to sort out the schedule, if you all come up with specific dates I'd try to make it out for an overnighter.

OldNWay
09-17-2015, 08:04
How about Green Ridge state park?

OldNWay
09-17-2015, 08:56
I'm away on vacation and I'm having surgery on Wednesday I'll be out of commission for a few weeks. I posted earlier SUNDAY and Monday are my day's off. I'll need to put in for a Saturday that's why I like to plan ahead for a weekend

Uphill
09-17-2015, 11:53
How about Green Ridge state park?

Green ridge seems a bit fa in the corner. What about somewhere more central? I haven't hung at Gathland before.

Yojimbo
09-17-2015, 12:03
Gathland is a great spot. Former location of the Fall MAHHA till we had too many hangers. I've taken my scouts there several times. Plenty of room to spread out

OldNWay
09-17-2015, 12:37
I assume it's a state park

Downhill Trucker
09-17-2015, 13:04
Well looks like I'm probably going out this Sunday. Probably going to either Crescent rock in VA or Pole steeple in PA. Just a quick overnight. If anyone is interested in meeting up let me know.

Ricky5
09-17-2015, 13:17
Another Baltimore hanger here! I usually get out in for at least an overnighter every weekend. Perhaps I'll start posting them up before I go to see if any of you fellas wanna join. It would be nice to have some company that actually knows what they are doing (I always bring my friends and have to babysit them the entire trip). I'll be heading up to PA this weekend for an overnighter on the AT.

robbylepczyk
09-21-2015, 09:45
i would be interested in planning a winter hang in the area. maybe in February?

Uphill
09-21-2015, 10:13
We may want to consider moving it more east, and south if we want a February hang.

robbylepczyk
09-21-2015, 11:36
like this far east and south? this is a cool spot i have heard of many times, it is a DE state park on one of the most northern cypress swamps. i would assume very few if any other visitors would be there in Feb.

http://www.destateparks.com/camping/trap-pond/index.asp

http://www.destateparks.com/activities/trails/locations/trap-pond/index.asp#2 trail list

don't know if you guys would be into this, the swamps could be frozen in Feb. don't know if hammocks are ok either. if there is interest i will call the park and ask a bunch of questions.

http://www.dewildlands.org/our-work/great-cypress-swamp/ another link about the "The Swamp"

Yojimbo
09-21-2015, 12:33
I was just at Carderock Oark on the C&O with our scouts this weekend. The group site is optimal for hammocking. No undergrowth, a plethera of trees, latrines, water (dont know if will be running in winter). I was told its $40 a night gor the group area 30 people.

beenaround
09-21-2015, 20:43
I was just at Carderock Oark on the C&O with our scouts this weekend. The group site is optimal for hammocking. No undergrowth, a plethera of trees, latrines, water (dont know if will be running in winter). I was told its $40 a night gor the group area 30 people.

Did you have to hike out far? Or is it a car camp type area? I've been really dying to get out. i would have gone somewhere this weekend but was on call. As for February hangs - that's gonna require a new quilt set. I can see that going over well with the wife. :cursing:

Uphill
09-22-2015, 05:57
http://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/marsdentractcampsites.htm

Yojimbo
09-22-2015, 07:21
Beenaround, its just a half mile walk from the parking lot to the group site. Apperantly there is also a drop off point closer but I don't know the details.

Side note there are beavers near the parking area. They felled this tree over night when we were there.

Fire-Bug
09-22-2015, 09:12
I know it's very late notice, but if anyone's interested, I'm planning on doing a short trip this Friday/Saturday (9/25-9/26) to Spruce Knob/Seneca Creek. Been itching to get out, and my eldest son is no longer available, so I figured I'd inquire if there was an interest with the group. I'm always open to something more local as well, but been interested in going to this area for a while.

Detman101
09-22-2015, 09:48
Seneca creek park off of 270 in Gaithersburg?

Fire-Bug
09-22-2015, 10:21
Spruce Knob/Seneca Creek - Seneca Rocks, West Virginia

Seneca creek park off of 270 in Gaithersburg?

Uphill
09-22-2015, 11:10
I think for a Md winter hang, Marsden Tract (Carderock) is a good suggestion. It's relatively central, and also in an area that shouldn't receive the fiercest winter weather.

robbylepczyk
09-22-2015, 12:40
im down to hang at Carderock

climbing.kevin
09-22-2015, 22:28
Me too! I'm always down. Although I have the maaha hang coming up, along with a climbing trip to the new river gorge.

Yojimbo
09-22-2015, 23:00
The MAAHA is in Oct. there is the NOVA hang in Nov. so Dec Jan Feb all look good to me. Actually after the holidays is better for me. Being retail. Hard to get weekends off that time of year.

beenaround
09-23-2015, 04:50
1/2 mile is fine. As for the Beavers, that's good kindle - if there are fire pits. If I can stay away from being on call the weekend its planned I'm down for a Carderock get together. I'm gonna try to make it out there in the next few weeks as well.

robbylepczyk
09-23-2015, 10:25
looking forward, who is taking the lead on this?

Uphill
09-23-2015, 11:32
The Jersey Winter hang up at Batona State Park is in January. February usually delivers the harshest weather here in the dc region.

Uphill
09-23-2015, 12:24
What is their policy on firewood? If it's the same as that of other C&O sites, they don't allow outside firewood.

Maybe we should put our order in with the local beavers.

Yojimbo
09-23-2015, 13:13
The beavers are by the parking lot. So you would need to haulthe wood about half a mile to the site.

beenaround
09-23-2015, 13:17
I'd be up for carrying some of the chips but not logs. As for the weather, anything lower than 20* I'd be really pushing my gear.

robbylepczyk
09-23-2015, 13:54
i did notice that it says no alcohol, not a huge issue for me, but it is nice to drink a beer by the fire...

beenaround
09-23-2015, 15:46
I think all MD state parks are like that. I usually like a beer as well after dinner when camping.

Uphill
09-23-2015, 20:24
So how about we shoot for early or middle January? I'm thinking Jan 8-10 or 15-17? What sounds good to you folks at this point?

robbylepczyk
09-24-2015, 08:54
i have a fly fishing show i will be vending at in NJ later in Jan. so the earlier the better for me.

beenaround
09-24-2015, 17:18
I didn't really think about this till just now. What type of tarp is everyone running? Can you get away with no doors? I haven't hung in the snow before - not that there necessarily will be any snow. It's just that I have a standard tarp.

robbylepczyk
09-25-2015, 08:51
by that time i will have doors, but just roll with what you got. we wouldn't be backpacking so multiple trips to the car would be do-able. if the weather is gnarly, maybe some kind of redneck engineered wind-block with tarps, but a less expensive and less-involved option may be a UQ protector.

robbylepczyk
09-25-2015, 08:53
in the same vain if you get cold to the point of not being comfortable, its close to the car and you cold walk back and ride the night out in the car.

robbylepczyk
09-25-2015, 09:05
as far as the snow goes, we live in MD, there is a better than average chance there will be no snow, and if there is, the chance of significant snow is small. could it happen? yes. would be awesome, yes.

OldNWay
09-25-2015, 10:42
With these group hangs having access to our vehicles we bring extra gear not only for our selves but for someone who might have forgot something. Also it doesn't hurt to ask too borrow.
If you are concerned about the Temps bring a large Nalgene bottle and a sock for a hot water bottle. That adds another 5 * to your sleeping gear and it keeps your water from freezing
Have we decided on a date and location?

beenaround
09-25-2015, 12:05
I've got a Dutch winter sock, Robby is right we prob won't have snow. I could look into getting a set of add on doors, or just get a new tarp if I can scrape funds together. I always forget about the hot water, that's a good idea. But I hate to be a burden so I never like to borrow anything - however I never mind giving out my extra gear for others to use.

Not gonna make silly excuses. Only reason I wouldn't be able to make it is if it's deep deep snow on the roads or work has me on lock down.

robbylepczyk
09-25-2015, 13:59
Jan. 08th-10th works for me and it looks like the spot will be Carderock on the C&O canal

dadgad
09-29-2015, 09:29
New to the party. Harford County.

climbing.kevin
10-07-2015, 06:46
awesome. see you guys then

Uphill
10-12-2015, 08:01
I'll look into booking the group site at Carderock on Jan 8-10 for the first annual DMV Winter Hang.

Detman101
10-17-2015, 19:31
Perfect date for a get together!
Cold weather will keep the old people and women indoors, leaving me free to have fun!
Wonderful!!

Yojimbo
10-17-2015, 19:44
Wait I'm old people.

Thanks Uphill.

Detman101
10-17-2015, 20:31
Wait I'm old people.

Thanks Uphill.
You're not old if you're hanging!
Especially in the winter!

OldNWay
10-18-2015, 06:37
Looking at the map Point of Rocks is closer access for me so I might bicycle in from Point of Rocks. Fell free to join me

Uphill
10-18-2015, 13:40
I'll book the site after next weekend. Then, I'll start the planning thread, with Google spreadsheet.

Bigfoot86
10-18-2015, 20:24
I live in nova but work in Montgomery county.

OldNWay
10-20-2015, 05:40
Thinking about a 1 nighter this Sunday and Monday. Weather looks nice anyone interested in the Maryland area

beenaround
10-20-2015, 20:19
Wish I could but I gotta work Monday. I was dying to get away this weekend.

OldNWay
10-21-2015, 05:43
It's been a pain working Saturday having off Sunday and Monday

icyhorse
10-22-2015, 00:16
Another MD person here, I'm in Carroll Co. And Detman101, I'm a woman :jj:

OldNWay
10-22-2015, 04:46
Welcome Icyhorse. I had a felling Detmer 101 put a bullseye on himself. Maybe see you on Jan 8 you and him can talk about it. lol

Detman101
10-22-2015, 06:19
Hmmm...should have reviewed what I typed. I spoke from my own personal situation of women and old people in my life holding me back from living.
My apologies...perhaps I do need to do something about that.

icyhorse
10-22-2015, 22:58
No offense taken or apologies needed, I like to tease people. :lol:

beenaround
10-23-2015, 08:47
Ive been begging my wife to go camping all Summer. Kept getting "its too hot" from her - which is ok cause I hate the heat as well. I just told her I was gonna go by myself cause its gotten cooler and she said to have fun. Any bets when I pack my gear for a quick overnight she asks me "where do you think you're going"?

Detman101
11-01-2015, 23:21
Ive been begging my wife to go camping all Summer. Kept getting "its too hot" from her - which is ok cause I hate the heat as well. I just told her I was gonna go by myself cause its gotten cooler and she said to have fun. Any bets when I pack my gear for a quick overnight she asks me "where do you think you're going"?
Yup. Same thing happened to me all summer and all last winter and fall.
I reckon it will happen this winter too.

Uphill
11-02-2015, 13:02
Here's the thread for the Capital Area Winter Hang (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/117464-MD-gt-Marsden-Tract-gt-1st-Annual-Capital-Area-Winter-Hang-gt-January-8th-10th-2016) that we have discussed here in this thread.

I will fill in more information this evening when I get home.

But this morning I reserved the site for Jan 8-10.

jwright
11-02-2015, 18:28
Thanks uphill. I have no idea if I'll be able to make it, but will certainly try.

Uphill
11-03-2015, 09:52
Google spreadsheet, and more details about The Capital Area Winter Hang (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=117464) have been added to the thread.

Strungup
11-11-2015, 23:42
AA County sounding off!

Uphill
11-12-2015, 17:04
Anybody do any hanging in Greenbelt Park inside the Capital Beltway?

briana26
11-18-2015, 07:13
Yeah .

Detman101
11-18-2015, 07:33
I did for about a half hour once last year. Family was with me so I didn't get to enjoy it much or for long.

Uphill
11-18-2015, 07:39

I was reminded by Aero-Hiker that they have a rule about not tying anything to the trees. I had asked the forum about this a while back, and since forgot.

I'll just keep hanging at Swain's Lock in Potomac. I'm planning on going for a hang on Friday evening if anyone would like to join me.

Uphill
11-20-2015, 12:58
I just booked a site at Little Bennett for the night of Nov 21.

More info here: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=118271

iconicflux
01-26-2016, 03:00

Aside from not being able to hang things on trees. Be careful of ticks in this park... They are friggin everywhere. Last time I went there I walked under a tree and had 2 drop on me and I really was only under that one tree for maybe 3 seconds.

Nice park, bad ticks.

climbing.kevin
01-28-2016, 15:35
Anyone down for camping next weekend feb 5-7th?

Chesapeake
07-26-2016, 08:29
Hi from the other side of the susky! I'm right down the road from you, just past perryville and outside of Charlestown. I'm new to the forum and just started hanging about 2 months ago. I grew up down the road from the Elk Neck lighthouse and have spent a lot of time hiking, camping and exploring the state park and woods over here in Cecil County. As soon as I can get a bigger pack that will hold my gear I'd love to hang with some of my MD neighbors sometime soon. Even if its just a quick one nighter somewhere locally, Im diying to get out to enjoy my new gear and hang somewhere other than my yard lol. I did do a mile hike a week ago and barely crammed the bare bones essentials in the pack I have now. It got me in the woods tho and I loved it! Can't wait to meet some locals that hang, make new friends and have some fun!

Uphill
12-14-2016, 21:19
Hey folks, if you're looking to get out after the holidays, come join me at Marsden Tract campsite on the C&O towpath for the 2nd annual Capital Area Winter Hang. Jan 6-8. More details can be found here: MD > Marsden Tract > 2nd Annual Capital Area Winter Hang > January 6-8, 2017

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Ehammockforums%2E net%2Fforum%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D132173&share_tid=132173&share_fid=20351&share_type=t

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk