PDA

View Full Version : Mohican State Park in Ohio

Woody
07-07-2013, 07:41
Hello all!

I am planning a trip with my wife to the Mohican State Park. She is new to the hammock world and still a little unsure of it, I thought one of the park and pack sites would be well suited from what I hear.

I personally have never been there. I know there are 10 sites. Can anyone tell me which one or ones are best suited for hammocks? We don't need a big site since it will only be the two of us.

Thanks for the info! - Woody

Bannerstone
07-07-2013, 07:50
Great plan, I haven't been to all the sites but can't imagine any of the park and packs not being excellent for hanging. The Ohio gang does Mohican every other month or so. Recently we've discovered how much we like sites 1, 2 and 3, they are near water and access through the bridle trail. Also we've done quite a few outings up on 8, 9 & 10, they are on top of the gorge and the mountain bike trail weaves closely past them.

Have a great outing and don't forget to register at the Forestry Ranger's office, there is a kiosk across the street from his house in front of the maintenance garages. They like to see that little slip of paper in the windshield of your vehicle where you park.

David

HamMike
07-07-2013, 09:06
8 is small and not much in the way of hanging.

Trail Runner
07-07-2013, 09:24
Site 7 is not great. My favorite is site 10. Its at the top of the ridge with plenty of places to hang. I really like site 2 as its next to Pine Run Creek but it is right on the trail, which is a bridle trail, so not a lot of privacy and more flies this time of the year. Be aware that if you plan on staying at sites 2-4 you will be crossing Pine Run Creek at least once and with all the rain we've been having you'll be getting wet.

Be sure to hike the Lyons Falls trail (starts at the covered bridge). With all the rain the Big & Little Lyons Falls should be particularly nice.

There are both free and "for sale" trail maps available at the office for Campground A which opens at 8am.

The Hemlock Trail, which runs along the river, had a couple of dicey spots when I was there 3 weeks ago but a definite "must" for great river views. I played tag with a Crane along most of the trail last time out but never got close enough for good photo.

jmstallard
07-10-2013, 13:03
I assumed you were referring to the 10 walk-in camp sites on this map (lower right): http://www.mohicanstatepark.org/images/Mohican.jpg. However, I'm hearing stuff about site 2 being next to a creek, and having to cross a creek, and now I'm confused.

Trail Runner
07-10-2013, 13:20
I assumed you were referring to the 10 walk-in camp sites on this map (lower right): http://www.mohicanstatepark.org/images/Mohican.jpg. However, I'm hearing stuff about site 2 being next to a creek, and having to cross a creek, and now I'm confused.

That map shows campground sites, not the Park & Pack sites being referred to above. Go to Backpack Ohio (http://backpackohio.com/mohican.html) to learn about those sites.

jmstallard
07-10-2013, 13:36
Ahh! Thanks for the correction. Those sites look nice.

Woody
07-11-2013, 15:23
Hi all sorry for the late response getting back. Work has been crazy this week. Thanks for all the input. This rain sure has put a damper on things but I guess I'd rather the rain than no rain. Happy trails everyone! :)

jlink79
07-11-2013, 21:30
If you are looking at the lower sites 1-4 checkout my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SuBowokbG4. Sorry for the quality my first video. there are other on the higher trails on you tube as well.

jlink79
08-11-2013, 02:03
Is the Ohio Gang doing another hang there any time soon?

HomeMadeHiker
08-11-2013, 13:33

Good question, my wife and I wanna scope out the lower sights over laborday weekend.

Trail Runner
08-11-2013, 15:34

Good question, my wife and I wanna scope out the lower sights over laborday weekend.

I have 1 more vacation day to burn and am going to take it the Friday prior to Labor Day. I'm either going to head down to Wildcat Hollow in the Wayne NF or to Mohican SF Thursday afternoon after work.

If I get a chance to get out between now and Labor Day to familiarize myself with setting up my new hammock, I'll be headed to the Wayne NF as I prefer that trail and the option to camp anywhere in the forest. If I don't get out between now and then, I'll be going to Mohican that weekend. If its the latter, I'd be glad to reserve/sign up for 1 or 2 of the Park & Pack sites on Thursday afternoon for the Friday - Monday time frame.

DivaB
08-14-2013, 15:58
I think I can pull of a Mohican trip during Labor Day weekend. Just pin it down. Seems there are two different threads going on right now??

HomeMadeHiker
08-14-2013, 21:16
No baby sitter we're out.