PDA

View Full Version : Northern East Coast hiking recommendations

hutzelbein
07-07-2013, 09:13
I already posted in the member's section of the forum, but now saw that there is a dedicated forum for regional trip planning.

I'm visiting the US for ~3 months to do some hiking. Currently I'm in Pennsylvania, and just finished my first day hike in the US. While I enjoyed it a lot, I found that the heat is challenging for me. Admittedly, I was told that the eastern parts of the US get hot and humid, but I just could not imagine how much. I guess you have to experience it first, before you can understand it :)

I already got a lot of great recommendations for the general North-Eastern area, but now that I have been here for two weeks and have done some driving, I have a better idea of what I want to do.

While it was suggested that I visit the Great Lakes area (Michigan/Wisconsin), I find that I would have to drive quite a lot. I would prefer less driving and more time for hiking and chilling out (in my hammock, of course). I think I'll narrow down my travelling area to just the Northern parts of the East Coast, starting with Pennsylvania (= New York, Connecticut, Massachuetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine).

I know that even in that "small" area, there still is more to see and do than I will be able to within the 2.5 months that I have left here. In order to cut down on the driving, I would love to narrow it down to a handful of places where I can go, pick a "base camp", and do my hiking (and hopefully volunteering) within that area. A mix of day-hikes and multi-day-hikes (2-10 days) would be great.

It goes without saying, that I want to use my hammock as much as possible!

With that in mind, what spots would you recommend and why? Trail/hike suggestions would be appreciated very much!

And if somebody wants to come along hiking (or just meet up), I would be happy, too!

desmobob
07-07-2013, 09:58
A good place to base from in upstate NY would be the Lake Placid area. From there, you have access to the high peaks area of the Adirondacks. It's a big and beautiful wilderness with more mountains and lakes than you could hike to in a year of vacation.

Another option would be the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire. Maybe base in North Conway, Jackson, or Lincoln... Lots of beautiful places to hike there, up high in the cooler, breezier atmosphere.

Keep us posted on where you are, and enjoy your stay here!

Take it easy,
desmobob

Yukon
07-07-2013, 10:16
Green Mountains of Vermont on the Long Trail. Go there, be happy :D

DuctTape
07-07-2013, 10:20
Adirondacks in NY were meant to be enjoyed in a hammock.

hutzelbein
07-07-2013, 10:33
Green Mountains of Vermont on the Long Trail. Go there, be happy :D

Adirondacks in NY were meant to be enjoyed in a hammock.

Thanks. Where would be a good place to stay and explore? Which are the best hikes there?

hutzelbein
07-07-2013, 10:35
A good place to base from in upstate NY would be the Lake Placid area. From there, you have access to the high peaks area of the Adirondacks. It's a big and beautiful wilderness with more mountains and lakes than you could hike to in a year of vacation.

Another option would be the White Mountain National Forest in New Hampshire. Maybe base in North Conway, Jackson, or Lincoln... Lots of beautiful places to hike there, up high in the cooler, breezier atmosphere.

Sounds good. Any hikes, preferably loops, you can recommend?

flattop-johnny
07-08-2013, 03:50
While I live only a 1/2 mile off the Appalachian Trail in NJ; this time of year I too like the Adirondacks in NY or Acadia National Park by Bar Harbor Maine.