PDA

View Full Version : Tarp talk: What would be best?

Roadtorque
03-09-2009, 18:54
I have decided the JRB BMB hammock is going to be the next in my collection and my primary camping hammock. I know there are some issues with bridge hammocks and tarps. My plan is this. When I order (next few weeks) this hammock I am going to use it under a typical blue painters tarp. I have zero experience with tarps and hope hanging a few nights under a cheap tarp will help me find likes and dislikes before buying a real tarp. These are my questions.
1. Any advise to make hanging under a painters tarp more enjoyably? Any tips? I know it can be noisy and hard to get tight but this will be a temporary thing. Weight will not be an issue because I will be car camping.

2. Any advise on a good tarp that fits the JRB BMB hammock?

My typical camping trip usually involve bad weather. In the winter I head north to camp in snow. In the summer we get monsoon season which can be windy and lots of rain. I want something big enough to accommodate the bridge hammock without the spreader bars rubbing much on the tarp. I would like it big enough so I can cook, and relax under it in bad weather. Money would be a bigger problem than tarp weight. I would also like a tarp that seals up really good to prevent wind from blowing snow, rain, and especially sand in. I've been looking at the JRB and Speers winter tarps. They seem like they would be big enough but the turn off is the "doors" dont seem to close that much. Having zero experience with tarps I dont know if thats a big deal or not? Anyway any help would be much appreciated. Hope this order is not to tall to fill.

P.S I dont sew. A DYI is not an option for me

angrysparrow
03-09-2009, 18:58
The JRB 11x10 in it's baker-hut pitch is a nice option for the BMB.

Mustardman
03-09-2009, 19:02
I don't have any experience with the BMB directly, but I've fooled around with ways to maximize the amount of space beneath my hammock. Grip clips and hiking poles could become your new best friends. Look under the tarps section in the hammock forums gallery - there are all kinds of clever pictures in there with ideas on how to pitch a tarp.

Roadtorque
03-09-2009, 19:03
The JRB 11x10 in it's baker-hut pitch is a nice option for the BMB.

Looks cool http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DSC00311%20-%20web%20Small.JPG but doesnt look like that much protection if wind is blowing stuff (rain, snow, dirt) around. I could be very wrong though.

Roadtorque
03-09-2009, 19:05
I don't have any experience with the BMB directly, but I've fooled around with ways to maximize the amount of space beneath my hammock. Grip clips and hiking poles could become your new best friends. Look under the tarps section in the hammock forums gallery - there are all kinds of clever pictures in there with ideas on how to pitch a tarp.

I have been browsing around there. I think grip clips will be a must to give the spreader bars room. Thanks for the suggestion.

Brian
03-10-2009, 00:29
My very first tarp was with a net hammock and clear painters tarp, and I recall that duct tape was a great source for adding new tieouts at will - try giving that a shot if you are looking for extra corner/side tieouts, as well as using gripclips in the center sections. Play around with different configurations to find one that you like :)

Heber
03-10-2009, 11:25
I second the grip clips recommendation. They work great with my JRB 11x10 tarp.

pedro
03-10-2009, 19:16
Consider the Sportsman's Guide Guide Gear tarp. 12'x12', approx. 2 lbs., $30. I've got one and I'm happy with it. They've got them back in stock now, but only in dull white. No more Neo camo tarps for the time being.:crying

Peter_pan
03-10-2009, 20:24
Looks cool http://www.jacksrbetter.com/DSC00311%20-%20web%20Small.JPG but doesnt look like that much protection if wind is blowing stuff (rain, snow, dirt) around. I could be very wrong though.

RT, et al,

If you want full coverage and closing doors consider the JRB Hammock Hut... http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Hammock%20Hut.htm

Although it was initially concieved and designed as a true four sided shelter for gathered end hammocks, a BMBH will fit...Smee used this set up at the Winter hang this year at Mt Rogers.... HC4U also used one at the same hang with his WBBB....

Pan

Roadtorque
03-10-2009, 20:52
RT, et al,

If you want full coverage and closing doors consider the JRB Hammock Hut... http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Hammock%20Hut.htm

Although it was initially concieved and designed as a true four sided shelter for gathered end hammocks, a BMBH will fit...Smee used this set up at the Winter hang this year at Mt Rogers.... HC4U also used one at the same hang with his WBBB....

Pan

Is the hammock hut as complicated as it looks? How well does the BMBH fit under the 11x10 tarp? I have been looking at some pics and comments (I think grizzadams?) posted on another thread. The idea was closing off one end and leaving the opposite end open. This might work for me if Im smart enough to predict the wind direction!

Peter_pan
03-10-2009, 21:26
Is the hammock hut as complicated as it looks? How well does the BMBH fit under the 11x10 tarp? I have been looking at some pics and comments (I think grizzadams?) posted on another thread. The idea was closing off one end and leaving the opposite end open. This might work for me if Im smart enough to predict the wind direction!

RT,

The Hammock Hut is not complicated at all.... Basically it is the 8x8 trp with sides.... As extra features there are peak vents and beak covers, side tie back cords and a double row of bottom peg points so that it can be pitched perfectly erect on sloping hill sides.

Tie to the trees.... pull out the side cornes and secure the lines.... stake four corners....tie out the beaks to the same trees as the ridge line...2-3 minute drill...

Pan