PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wayne, IN suggestions

Geck0
07-08-2013, 14:38
I have to go to Fort Wayne in a couple of weeks for work, and was considering hanging instead of getting a hotel. Anyone have any suggestions of a nice place that's not too far away? Would need a shower, so backcountry wouldn't work.

Thanks in advance!

canoebie
07-08-2013, 14:48
Quabache State Park in Bluffton, Indiana might be a possibility. There is also a State Recreation area south of Huntington Indiana that might work as well. I grew up in that area, haven't been back to camp in years. Just a couple of ideas. Good luck. Keep us posted as to what you find. I have friends in Ft. Wayne

TallPaul
07-08-2013, 14:49
No hammocking advice but check out Coney Island downtown if you like a good coney

HomeMadeHiker
07-08-2013, 16:33
Quabache State Park in Bluffton, Indiana might be a possibility. There is also a State Recreation area south of Huntington Indiana that might work as well. I grew up in that area, haven't been back to camp in years. Just a couple of ideas. Good luck. Keep us posted as to what you find. I have friends in Ft. Wayne

Ditto!!!

No hammocking advice but check out Coney Island downtown if you like a good coney

Ditto!!!

Black Chrome
07-08-2013, 18:16
This weekend we rode our Harleys up to Michigan and on the way back all the campgrounds were full. We ended up stealth camping inside of the shelter house at the first rest stop in Indiana heading southbound on I-69. It was about 40 miles north of Ft. Wayne. Worked out well and no one bothered us.

Geck0
07-09-2013, 09:18
Ouabach is looking like a possibility. Its about 45 minutes away though.

Thanks for the suggestions!

OneClick
07-09-2013, 15:02
I live in Fort Wayne and unfortunately the closest place for me is 3.5 hours north! But if pressed, Pokagon SP is about 40min north. That's all I can recommend...honestly there's not really anything good around here.

Almost forgot - there's Johnny Appleseed Campground right smack in the center of it all, so that would be the only reasonable place with almost no driving time.

HomeMadeHiker
07-09-2013, 21:52
closest place for me is 3.5 hours north!
Where might that be?

Almost forgot - there's Johnny Appleseed Campground right smack in the center of it all, so that would be the only reasonable place with almost no driving time.
Is that legal?

OneClick
07-10-2013, 10:18
Where might that be?

Is that legal?

Anywhere north of about Clare really...lots of nice state land to hang out in the quiet pines!

I never checked since I have no interest in camping there. I would definitely call to check beforehand. The problem is, you'll get someone on a egotrip acting like they own the place and they'll say "no hammocks" without anything to back it up. Or you'll get a 17 year old part-timer on a summer job just guessing. Or you'll get someone that thinks hanging a hammock sounds bad for trees and they'll say "no" based on their personal opinion.

There's an old thread here somewhere that lists states/places that allow hammocks.