PDA

View Full Version : Underquilt

Unmighty
07-09-2013, 16:20
Was wondering what underquilt you all might reccomend for my new thunderbird 11ft?

pgibson
07-09-2013, 16:39
Your about to get a hundred different recommendations. All of them will work.

But some might be better suited depending on things like if your hiking or car camping, humidity, tempatures you usually camp in....so on and so on. More info on what you are doing will help to get better recommendations.

Stone
07-09-2013, 16:46
UGQ would be a good start.
http://www.undergroundquilts.com/

yooz85
07-09-2013, 16:48
I have a 10ft DB and my te-wa quilts work great and HG phoenix works just as well. im sure any quilt you choose will work great.

desmobob
07-09-2013, 16:51
Was wondering what underquilt you all might reccomend for my new thunderbird 11ft?

My "long" versions of the KAQ New River and UGQ Zeppelin both fit my 11' hammock (WBBB XLC) perfectly.

Good luck with your choice... I don't think you can go wrong! The cottage vendors in this niche do incredible work!

Take it easy,
desmobob

McBroom
07-09-2013, 21:20
Your about to get a hundred different recommendations. All of them will work.

But some might be better suited depending on things like if your hiking or car camping, humidity, tempatures you usually camp in....so on and so on. More info on what you are doing will help to get better recommendations.

Ditto. My LeighLo works great on my 11' DangerBird. These UQs are not available now, but most of the cottage folks should be able to fix you up.

Unmighty
07-10-2013, 11:47
Thanks for the suggestions...I plan on using it to backpack in temps that can get below 20...I am trying to think about doing away with my sleeping bag and do a top quilt to but these things are expensive, although I know they are worth every penny. Might even brave cutting up my current 15 degree bag and making it a top quilt as I am very senstive to down on my skin.

Caveman
07-10-2013, 11:56
I've got a 0* Incubator and I love it. I like Paul's work from Underground quilts as well. For summer temps, you can't beat Wilderness Logics Summer Series. Oh...and the Poncho Liner UQ is becoming one of my favorites for summer trips as well.

Womble
07-10-2013, 12:04
Both my 40F Phoenix and my 0F Incubator work perfectly fine with the 11'' Dangerbird. I love my top quilts from EnlightenedEquipment which are great value for $$. They also have TQ with synthetic insulation.

OutandBack
07-19-2013, 13:24
When I went from 10' hammocks to 11' I had to add extra shockcord to all my UQ's or they hung too tight. Maybe the quilt vendors have fixed this now. I have not bought a new UQ in two years. Might be something worth asking the vendor you choose to go with. All the cottage vendors you find on HF are top notch and you really can't go wrong with any of them. Find the features you want and I am sure you will be very happy.
HTH

Dutch
07-24-2013, 18:45
Hammock gears UQ are adjustable to fit either size. They have line locs on the shock cord.

mattyg
07-24-2013, 19:56
they all have their merits. my dangerbird 72 i use a long underground quilts zepllin and a new river long. my wife has a new river and a hammock gear incubator on her dangerbird 72. they work great all of them