PDA

View Full Version : MacCat Standard or Deluxe?

DeShazo
03-10-2009, 21:12
I have a BB on the way. I am debating now on which tarp to get. I think the Ultra is probably bigger than I want. I just want it to keep me totally dry in a driving wind blown rain. Give me some feed back MacCat owners.:cool:

koaloha05
03-10-2009, 21:32
Use the DeLuxe size with the BB. One night heavy rain showers with winds exceeding 30knots on the water. Trees cut down the wind, but it was still windy. Stayed dry. With the right sight selection and pitched for the conditions the MC Deluxe will keep you and your gear dry.

If I was hanging out in an area where heavy rains are the norm the extra coverage of the Ultra or RAW's new custom MC would be more convient. Just a bit more mass. More flexibility in site location and pitch. Plus a larger "living room".

Take-a-knee
03-10-2009, 21:32
Well, I can't within an eyelash of ordering a spinntex medium but I decided on another Deluxe. I was WELL PLEASED with the deluxe I had prior.

HikerRanky
03-10-2009, 21:34
I just took receipt of a MacCat SpinnUL Deluxe from Brian..... I had just a few minutes this evening to hang the hammock and put the tarp over it before night fell.... Tonight here in White House, TN the wind is running about 25MPH gusting up to 40MPH, and I must say that the Deluxe is holding up wonderfully out here.

I did a fair amount of research before I decided on the Deluxe myself.... I wanted the extra coverage that comes with the Deluxe tarp. The Deluxe is 130x120, whereas the Standard is 125x85.

Hope this helps.

Randy

DeShazo
03-10-2009, 21:40
What is the difference in the MacCat Deluxe and the SpinnUL Deluxe?

angrysparrow
03-10-2009, 21:43
What is the difference in the MacCat Deluxe and the SpinnUL Deluxe?

The fabric. The regular MacCat Deluxe is made of silnylon and the SpinnUL Deluxe is made of SpinnUL.

intheswim
03-10-2009, 23:42
I just took receipt of a MacCat SpinnUL Deluxe from Brian..... I had just a few minutes this evening to hang the hammock and put the tarp over it before night fell.... Tonight here in White House, TN the wind is running about 25MPH gusting up to 40MPH, and I must say that the Deluxe is holding up wonderfully out here.

I did a fair amount of research before I decided on the Deluxe myself.... I wanted the extra coverage that comes with the Deluxe tarp. The Deluxe is 130x120, whereas the Standard is 125x85.

Hope this helps.

Randy

Did you measure the width? Brian told us recently that the width of both the deluxe and ultra is 104"

HikerRanky
03-11-2009, 06:42
Did you measure the width? Brian told us recently that the width of both the deluxe and ultra is 104"

No I didn't, but this is the page on Brian's site that I got that info from:

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/products.html

drewboy
03-11-2009, 07:14
I've been using the Maccat Deluxe with my Blackbird for several months now and it has worked very well for me in a variety of conditions. I have the silnylon version. Well worth the weight upgrade from the standard. The weight savings from the spinnaker version sounds intriguing, but I have used spinnaker tarps before and seen a branch punch right through it, where I'm fairly confident that on a 1.3 silnylon tarp it would have glanced right off. Everyone needs to make that choice on whether that few ounces is worth the extra care you must take with your gear. Spinnaker also tends to be much noisier in my experience.

After using an alternate tarp this past weekend, it made me realize just how easy my Maccat deluxe setup is; 4 stakes and drum tight pitch first time every time. I highly recommend the snake skins too - no flapping around in the wind to mess with while securing your tarp ridgeline to the trees.

intheswim
03-11-2009, 08:50
No I didn't, but this is the page on Brian's site that I got that info from:

http://www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com/products.html

i think its a typo, give it a quick measure and let us know 8)

Red Hat
03-11-2009, 09:37
Well, I have the MacCat Spinnex Standard with my Warbonnet Blackbird. I have hung it here in Texas (no rain, no cold, just some wind) and it seems like it will give me enough coverage. I head out the the AT for a week on Friday. I'll let everyone know how it worked out when I get back.

Cannibal
03-11-2009, 09:39
It'll work great Red Hat; that's the combo I use when it's warm out.:shades:

HikerRanky
03-12-2009, 00:23

I'll try to do that tomorrow......

Red Hat
03-12-2009, 09:36
Well, that's the question Cannibal.... how I doubt it will be very warm on the Appalachian Trail in TN next week. That's why I decided to keep the underquilt and the pad... I should be warm enough, if the Standard MacCat will keep me dry. I'm excited to get back out there after my disaster last year.

Cannibal
03-12-2009, 09:55
Disasters are nothing more than opportunities to learn; that's what I tell myself anyway.:rolleyes::D

It should keep you dry as long as you pay attention. Since you've got the Spinn version and don't have to worry about moisture soaking thru like sil, you can pitch it really narrow if a bad storm comes along. That will keep your UQ dry even if the weather really kicks-up. Site selection is always a big help too!

You'll do great!:thumbup1:

gladiator
03-13-2009, 17:38
I'm also getting ready to purchase a MacCat, and am having a tough time deciding between the Deluxe and the Standard. Looks like most prefer the Deluxe, but I'm wondering if its overkill. I don't mind the extra weight, just wondering if there is enough extra space to justify it over the Standard. From what I've read elsewhere, Standard seems pretty sufficient. So convince me!

Thanks,
Gladiator

lori
03-13-2009, 22:03
Maybe it's just the week I've had, maybe it's just that my raise was approved, maybe I'm just tired of delaying gratification. But I ordered a deluxe....

I have a LOT of backpacking going on this year. That's my rationalization and I'm sticking to it.

Silver or white? hmmmm....

Take-a-knee
03-13-2009, 23:03
Others here have a lot more hang time than me but I'd say the Standard Macat would be fine IF:

1) You have a synthetic UQ

2) You have a down UQ and always carry an undershield/dri ducks poncho

Having said that, I just ordered a Deluxe, in Spinntex it was an ounce and half heavier.

guySmiley
03-14-2009, 10:34
I'm also getting ready to purchase a MacCat, and am having a tough time deciding between the Deluxe and the Standard. Looks like most prefer the Deluxe, but I'm wondering if its overkill. I don't mind the extra weight, just wondering if there is enough extra space to justify it over the Standard. From what I've read elsewhere, Standard seems pretty sufficient. So convince me!

Thanks,
Gladiator

My Deluxe is supposed to be showing up on Monday, so I don't have direct experience with it, but I was wondering the same thing so I emailed Brian (Owner of OES) and he suggested that since I have a HH Expedition which is a little bit longer than the more popular HH ULBP, the Deluxe might be better. I trusted him and went with his suggestion.

HikerRanky
03-17-2009, 16:39

Sorry for the lateness on this.... Had some family issues to deal with over the last few days.... The Deluxe is 104" wide....