PDA

View Full Version : Synthetic top quilts?

Mrprez
03-11-2009, 07:02
So, I've had several people ask me I would be making synthetic top quilts as well. I have toyed with the idea and in fact have one here that is almost complete.

I wanted to see what size would be best overall, what temp ranges and the final weight would make this idea viable. Also, any other features that might be good, like corner loops, footbox, etc.

Take-a-knee
03-11-2009, 07:47
Above all else, a top quilt needs a head hole, this would also mean no fixed footbox.

Mrprez
03-11-2009, 08:09
Above all else, a top quilt needs a head hole, this would also mean no fixed footbox.

I guess you mean so it could be worn as a poncho around camp?

gunn parker
03-11-2009, 08:35
Yes, no fixed foot box and a head hole for wearing in camp.
Normally you get to camp and setup the hammock, then toss in the top quilt. All that warmth is going to waste while you sit around and chat around the fire.

Duel purpose is the way to go.

MacEntyre
03-11-2009, 16:01
My synthetic top quilt is a combination of a Speer Frog Sac and a Wiggy's poncho liner. The Frog Sac goes on top of me, with the bottom closed, and zipped up to my knees. The Wiggy's poncho liner goes on top of that. When it's real cold, I double one corner of the poncho liner under my feet for a makeshift footbox. I put the opposite corner above my head to make a roomy canopy over my face.

I'd like a top quilt that is the right size and shape for use inside a hammock. I'm not sure it needs to be dual purpose. It definitely needs a foot box. I suppose a larger Frog Sac would suit me... call it a Possum Sac, with more insulation that the total of my Frog Sac plus poncho liner, and a marsupial-like foot box.

On the other hand, I do like using a two layer top quilt very much. I just bought goose feather booties for $11, so maybe I don't need anything at all!

Take-a-knee
03-11-2009, 17:26
I guess you mean so it could be worn as a poncho around camp?

That's it, from about mid-May till early fall in the Southern Appalachians with a poncho quilt you don't need to carry a vest or jacket, maybe a thin fleece. That saves at least a half pound.

LostCause
03-11-2009, 17:35
if you have a fixed footbox and a way to attach it to the 'top' while in poncho mode, it could double as a pocket/hand warmer like a hooded sweatshirt

MacEntyre
03-11-2009, 18:00
Geez, folks, that sounds like a detachable foot box that doubles as a hood for the head opening of a poncho liner. A velcro closure on the head opening would make it disappear in quilt mode.

MrPrez, you could experiment with a poncho liner to perfect the hood, then make one with the right shape for a top quilt, which is not necessarily a rectangle.

LostCause
03-11-2009, 18:09
Not exactly what i was getting at... A hood is a little complicated for this kind of thing. I was talking about just having a fixed footbox on a quilt with a head hole.

The footbox would double as a pocket to carry stuff around, but with the weight you would need to attach it around to the part that's on your back.

Not that it's needed at all. It would be longer with out the fixed footbox, but for some reason I never have enough pockets....

it would definitely be "marsupial-like" though...
a KA-kangaroo quilt

MacEntyre
03-11-2009, 18:18
Gotcha! I like it! The KAQaroo Quilt, with the convertible Sporran Footbox.

That's even easier to prototype with a poncho liner...

guySmiley
04-14-2009, 17:26
Personally, I'd prefer a permanent footbox since it's unlikely I'd be using it as something to wear. Especially around a camp fire where embers would end up burning little holes in it.

What would be really great would be if it was shaped in a way that it wrapped over the shoulders well to keep drafts out. I'm thinking of a deep head notch cut into the top edge.

Another idea would be to have the 2 layers to it. That way I could use just one for summer temperatures, and the combine them when it gets for real cold out.

hacktorious
04-14-2009, 17:29
Sounds good to me.

I made an OQ out of XP and momentum90 with a foot box. It is the best thing I have ever had. XP is super light and warm. The momentum90 is water resistant and breathable. I love that quilt.

guySmiley
04-15-2009, 20:54
another feature that would be really easy to include, but would be very useful is a pocket that could accommodate a fuel bottle or canister, when it's cold out.

Crawldaddy
04-29-2009, 10:17
im just looking for a simple top quilt similar to Speers top quilt only a little wider and longer

NCPatrick
04-29-2009, 10:27
I like to be able to use my top quilts as underquilts as needed (for instance if I'm equipping the kids with quilts too).

Simpler is better IMO. My .02.

Coffee
04-29-2009, 11:05
I think it's harder to get a synthetic UQ to also work as a top quilt. More shaping involved that down will forgive, but syn will cause air gaps.

I think you could make you could pull off a head hole and no fixed footbox and taper the foot end some to save weight.