PDA

View Full Version : Exped Multimat

dakotaross
03-11-2009, 09:56
Anybody have some experience using the Exped Multimat pad inside their hammock? I'm considering using it as a secondary pad underneath my BA insulated pad or by itself in warmer weather.

The posts I've seen so far have more to do with using it in a pad sleeve or supershelter which I don't have.

Narwhalin
03-11-2009, 11:13
Searching for multimat, I found a thread about it:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4842&highlight=multimat

and these threads all mention it somewhere within:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/search.php?searchid=776515

Sounds like many like it for it's 40" width...

dakotaross
03-11-2009, 12:09
Yes, have seen those posts. I see nothing about having the pad inside the hammock. Width is great but might be too wide at head and foot. Was curious if anyone was able to use it by folding head and foot areas or just how it might be used, other than is a sleeve or supershelter.

Might be something that would fit well in a BB double, which I'm considering anyway.

Narwhalin
03-11-2009, 12:41
Might be something that would fit well in a BB double, which I'm considering anyway.

I think that it would...and you should!:D

Shadowmoss
03-11-2009, 20:59
I used my multimat in my BB double layer hammock hanging inside my house when I was moving. It worked fine with some issues. I have the older model double layer and had some issues getting the wide multimat up into the end that was sewn closed (on mine, only half of the layers are open, the other half is enclosed). With a design that lets you stick a hand up into that corner it wouldn't be an issue. Once in, I didn't have any issues. Then again, it's so thin that is wouldn't really be noticed if it did fold over.

The other issue I had could be explained in a couple of ways. I had heard the guys talking about back sweats using pads in a hammock but I didn't think much about it. I'm small, female (we don't sweat! :) ), and hadn't had any issues in the short time I used my zrest in my hammock before I got an underquilt. I used the multimat while hanging inside the house because the snugfit underquilt seemed a bit of overkill when I had the house nice and toasty. I did want some under insulation even then, though. All three nights I was chilly on the bottom, and realized finally that I was damp, just enough to get chilly. I tried turning the multimat over both directions, dark side up and nylon side up. Didn't make a difference. I haven't had a chance to investigate further. It could have been because I was in a house that was already warm causing me to sweat more than usual. I sleep in a heated waterbed inside normally, and have as much insulation as possible when hanging outside.

dakotaross
03-12-2009, 09:27
I used my multimat in my BB double layer hammock hanging inside my house when I was moving. It worked fine with some issues. I have the older model double layer and had some issues getting the wide multimat up into the end that was sewn closed (on mine, only half of the layers are open, the other half is enclosed). With a design that lets you stick a hand up into that corner it wouldn't be an issue. Once in, I didn't have any issues. Then again, it's so thin that is wouldn't really be noticed if it did fold over.

The other issue I had could be explained in a couple of ways. I had heard the guys talking about back sweats using pads in a hammock but I didn't think much about it. I'm small, female (we don't sweat! :) ), and hadn't had any issues in the short time I used my zrest in my hammock before I got an underquilt. I used the multimat while hanging inside the house because the snugfit underquilt seemed a bit of overkill when I had the house nice and toasty. I did want some under insulation even then, though. All three nights I was chilly on the bottom, and realized finally that I was damp, just enough to get chilly. I tried turning the multimat over both directions, dark side up and nylon side up. Didn't make a difference. I haven't had a chance to investigate further. It could have been because I was in a house that was already warm causing me to sweat more than usual. I sleep in a heated waterbed inside normally, and have as much insulation as possible when hanging outside.

Good to know, thanks for sharing that experience. I'm sort of in flux with what I want to do with my setup. Trying to make the most of what I already have, therefore avoiding dropping the big bucks on an underquilt, but little things are adding up. Thinking the JRB Nest might be in my future. Maybe not the near future, though. :(

G Maurice
10-15-2011, 23:24
I recently switched to hammocking and have used the Exped Multimat inside the hammock (and using an Exped Dreamwalker as cocoon/peapod). It works fine if you put the nylon side up/foam side down. With the foam side down it stays in place and you can slide/move around in the hammock normally. The one minor issue is the pad will develop little folds. This is because the pad is rectangular (approx. 40X80) and the hammock obviously, is not. The folds are small and after a few moments you don't really notice them anymore.

When used in conjuction with the Dreamwalker as a cocoon I sometimes slide the Multi-Mat between the hammock and the cocoon. The cocoon should be snug against the bottom of the hammock for the best results. This would probably work with under quilts too, if they are snug against the hammock. Since the Multimat is windproof this can be a real bonus and it weighs only 11.5 oz.