PDA

View Full Version : Cheaha state park/ AL / fall hang

abc
07-16-2013, 00:10
Hey guys and girls this I thought it would be a great time to go ahead and talk about the fall cheaha state park fall hang. I was thinking late September sometime.Same place as the fall one Right beside cheaha falls just before you get to the cheaha falls shelter. It was beautiful earlier this summer can't wait to go back.

prob
07-16-2013, 00:59
Sounds great! Late Sept. those Chinnabee waterfowl (mosquitoes) are done for the year!

aboyd
07-16-2013, 07:41
I might be able to make that. Sounds like fun

tight-wad
07-16-2013, 10:19
Pencil me in. However... once again... I'm doing a week long AT hike in mid Sept, and the wifey may surprise me with other plans. Early Oct might be a better fit for me.

abc
07-16-2013, 10:31
Everyone okay with that first weekend in October

aboyd
07-16-2013, 10:59
First weekend in October is OK by me, at this point at least. I will pencil this in and get approval from the boss lady.

Ewker
07-16-2013, 11:08
Oct. that works better for me

Postal
07-16-2013, 15:46
Sigh going to miss it yet again. Cub Scouts takes up a wee bit of time. We are running Cub Haunted this year, every weekend in October, and the only time I get away from it is for woodbadge. Oh well lots o pics please.

aclawrence
07-16-2013, 16:42
What part of Alabama is this located?

aboyd
07-16-2013, 17:19
Talladega National Forest, pretty close to Cheaha State park

squidbilly
07-17-2013, 07:28
The 1st weekend in October sounds good, looking forward to it.

waterman
07-17-2013, 12:03
Can't remember all the details offhand, but part of the Chinabee was closed a month or so ago due to flood damaged tread way. This included lake chinnabee campground, devils den, and part of the skyway loop if I'm not mistaken.

abc
07-17-2013, 13:40
Me aboyd, grapenut, jaxx, and buhlee all went down there where we camped is not in chinabee it is before that but we also got special permission to hike chinabee if we wanted. They just don't want the general public on the trail for experienced hiker it is ok. Thanks for checking though. But ya we got reports that it was pretty tore up down there.

abc
07-17-2013, 13:42
We actually didn't camp in a campsite but just back in the woods you could tell many people had camped in the same place before thought we were about 20yd from cheaha falls and about 400yds from the cheaha falls shelter

aboyd
07-17-2013, 14:58
I believe the trail was supposed to be opened back up sometime in September...I think. We were less than a mile from the parking area, easy hike. About 200 yards from the Cheaha shelter, just up from the falls. I hiked from Adams Gap to the Cheaha Trail Head two weeks ago, and the Chinnabee trail down to the lake was "officially" still closed, but I bet we could hike it some by October if we wanted.

squidbilly
07-17-2013, 20:41
You're all correct. The worst of the flood damage was around Lake Chinnabee and the Devils Den area. The part of the Chinnabee Trail we will use from 281 to Cheaha Falls is OK. The closed areas are scheduled to be opened Sept. 30 anyway. http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c5/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gDfxMDT8MwRydLA1cj72 BTFxdjAwgAykeaxRtBeY4WBv4eHmF-YT4GMHn8usNB9uHXDzYBB3A00PfzyM9N1S_IjTDIMnFUBADEf0 RM/dl3/d3/L2dJQSEvUUt3QS9ZQnZ3LzZfMjAwMDAwMDBBODBPSEhWTjJNMD AwMDAwMDA!/?navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=stelprdb5212808&navid=120000000000000&pnavid=null&ss=110801&position=Not%20Yet%20Determined.Html&ttype=detail&pname=National%20Forests%20in%20Alabama-%20Alerts

13pt buck
07-18-2013, 09:09
I might be able to make it.

Grapenut
07-18-2013, 09:18
Have to put it down in pencil this far out but definitely want to join you guys if able! Also, I will plan on doing some hiking as well. Might try to get in a day early like Jaxx and I did last time and hike to the top of the Stairway to Heaven, camp, and join the rest of the group the following day near the falls.

G-Nut :shades:

defsquad
07-18-2013, 20:41
Get me penciled in as well. Love every opportunity to hike Chinnabee Silent

obmit
07-18-2013, 20:51
Just marked it on my calendar. Are we looking at Fri-Sun or just Sat-Sun?

aboyd
07-18-2013, 21:19
Have to put it down in pencil this far out but definitely want to join you guys if able! Also, I will plan on doing some hiking as well. Might try to get in a day early like Jaxx and I did last time and hike to the top of the Stairway to Heaven, camp, and join the rest of the group the following day near the falls.

I hiked up the Stairway couple of weeks ago, from Adams Gap to the main Cheaha trail head....11 miles, in the rain. You can have that hike, I was one tired puppy after that.

Just marked it on my calendar. Are we looking at Fri-Sun or just Sat-Sun?

I am gonna shoot for Friday afternoon - Sunday.

defsquad
07-19-2013, 07:02
so, i've yet to attend a group hang.. from the videos i've watched of other group hangs it seems like everyone just goes to one spot and just stays there the whole weekend. is that the idea with this one as well?

Dead Man
07-19-2013, 07:55
I am gonna shoot for Friday afternoon - Sunday.

So I've never done a group hang either. Based on what I've seen thus far in the thread it looks like October 4, 5, and 6. How firm are these dates when y'all set them? If I'm gonna do this I need to commit early (I know - OCD) and move the rest of the world out of the way. Just wondering. :shades:

Buhlee
07-19-2013, 08:41
Pencil me in. As long as work doesn't interfere at the last minute I will go. Hopefully I can get there a day or two early to hike in with Grapenut this time.

Defsquad- the last time we went up to this area we all stayed in one area, I would think it will be the same this time. A few guys hiked a longer trail in but they stayed in the same spot with everyone else.

Jaxx
07-19-2013, 09:07
Pencil me in!

I will plan on going a day early to meet up with Grapenut and whoever else .

MissileMan
07-19-2013, 09:10
Sounds like a nice group hang. I haven't spent any time in Cheha because the Sipsey is closer to Huntsville.

That is Alabama's homecoming weekend, so probably could not make it. However, I will certainly watch the thread and trip report for ideas on future trips. It is only about 3 hours away, after all.

defsquad
07-19-2013, 21:37
i suspect a radio or two will be around for football games.. the folks i used to backpack with (none of them had season tickets so that was convenient) would just bring a good enough radio and we'd have the radio attached to someones backpack and hvae it playing as we hiked :) was nice to stay hooked to the games, while still being outdoors and enjoying God's splendor :D

i agree, sipsey is awesome too. i get all jealous of folks living in colorado, north carolina, utah, california, etc; but appreciate the areas in north alabama too.

Ewker
07-19-2013, 21:40
i suspect a radio or two will be around for football games.

just as long as the radio can pickup the Vols game :D

defsquad
07-19-2013, 21:44
hahaha.. fair enough :) im a strange breed. i grew up an alabama fan, my entire family are rabid bama fans, but i went to school at auburn (as far as i know, only tennessee is more of an enemy to alabama). to be honest though, i just love college football in general, especially the SEC :)

will be nice to get the perspective of a Vols fan during the games.. one of my old hiking buddies is a USC Trojans fan, so that gets interesting.. especially when it was during the pete carroll era.

anyway, looking forward to this group hang. i've been out of the backpacking/camping/hammock scene for nearly a year. so hopefully with this new gear i just picked up from warbonnet, i can get some tips from you guys and gals.

halfastronomical
07-19-2013, 22:29
I am writing this on my calendar and I hope to be there!

tight-wad
07-20-2013, 09:46
so, i've yet to attend a group hang.. from the videos i've watched of other group hangs it seems like everyone just goes to one spot and just stays there the whole weekend. is that the idea with this one as well?

Whatever you want to do. There are several good trails for day hiking if you want to do that. The site is close enough to the parking lot so you can bring as many toys as you want to fill in the hours. If you are a polar bear, or we get a hot day you could jump in the lake. Or just bring a chair, some tea, something to snack on, and just sit back and visit.

obmit
07-20-2013, 09:47
Does anyone have coordinates to the site we plan to camp at?

aboyd
07-20-2013, 10:39
Does anyone have coordinates to the site we plan to camp at?

Search fora thread titled "AL hang" and look on page 3 of the thread. I posted a map and coordinates.

obmit
07-20-2013, 11:49
Is it close to Turnipseed?

aboyd
07-20-2013, 12:05
Is it close to Turnipseed?

Yes, you can park in the turnipseed lot on the road and walk in. It is less than a mile.

obmit
08-04-2013, 13:38
Bump... two months and counting :)

aboyd
08-04-2013, 15:10
Yep, still on the schedule. Got a busy October, but plan to make this trip I hope.

TheGorge
08-04-2013, 15:45
I'll definitely make a point to be there. Scratch that last comment, I'm done with classes by 11:00 on Fridays so I can make it to the whole thing!

tyler73
08-06-2013, 20:14
The OP needs updating with solid date/location information. The dates I assume are October 4, 5, 6 but haven't seen it confirmed - very possible I missed it scanning thru.

I pulled the GPS location from the May 2013 hang "AL Hang" thread.

GPS 33.453071, -85.849485
Date Oct 4-6

halfastronomical
08-06-2013, 20:46
The OP needs updating with solid date/location information. The dates I assume are October 4, 5, 6 but haven't seen it confirmed - very possible I missed it scanning thru.

I pulled the GPS location from the May 2013 hang "AL Hang" thread.

GPS 33.453071, -85.849485
Date Oct 4-6

Yeah man, tyler is coming all the way from Jawga, so he needs to leave soon...:D

tyler73
08-08-2013, 19:34
Yeah man, tyler is coming all the way from Jawga, so he needs to leave soon...:D
Nah, I'm only about two hours from Cheaha (locally pronounced Cheeeeeee Hawwwww)...and that's taking the scenic route.

BillyBob58
08-08-2013, 20:58
some Cheaha maps at the given coordinates. Cheaha Mt just southeast of I20 at Anniston, on 281.

Does that campsite coordinate look correct, in the middle of the woods and not at a developed campsite or on a road? I entered it in the format of N 33.453071, W 85.849485 and it came out as N 33 27.184, W 85 50.969

Let me know if that is not right and I will try to correct it.

aclawrence
08-09-2013, 20:13
I'm going to check with the old lady and see if she will let me come. We are about to have a little baby boy any day now so we'll see if I can get away or not. Hoping to make it though.

aboyd
08-09-2013, 21:05
some Cheaha maps at the given coordinates. Cheaha Mt just southeast of I20 at Anniston, on 281.

Does that campsite coordinate look correct, in the middle of the woods and not at a developed campsite or on a road? I entered it in the format of N 33.453071, W 85.849485 and it came out as N 33 27.184, W 85 50.969

Let me know if that is not right and I will try to correct it.

Your map looks pretty close. The camping spot is not in an established campground, it is a backcountry site. It's about 150 yards from the Cheaha shelter, on the Chinnabee trail. It sees a good bit of traffic, so it is well used. It is approx 1 mile from the Turnipseed parking lot on 281. An easy walk in.

Jaxx
08-10-2013, 07:50
I think the location is pretty close to, only I think where it's marked the camp site is on the opposite side of the creek .

Grapenut
08-10-2013, 12:28
Heading there today on my way to Huntsville. I'll make sure it's still there! Ye Ha! If anyone is going to be in the AO, look for the happy guy swimming under the waterfall!

BillyBob58
08-10-2013, 13:31
Your map looks pretty close. The camping spot is not in an established campground, it is a backcountry site. It's about 150 yards from the Cheaha shelter, on the Chinnabee trail. It sees a good bit of traffic, so it is well used. It is approx 1 mile from the Turnipseed parking lot on 281. An easy walk in.

I think the location is pretty close to, only I think where it's marked the camp site is on the opposite side of the creek .

I changed the defaults on my Delorme map software so that I was able to enter the coordinates in pure decimal fashion, but it made no difference in where it shows on the map.

My dog gone Delorme built in Topo is not showing the shelters or parking areas mentioned. And I don't yet have the topos for this area downloaded, which might show those landmarks. I can believe that the campsite might be on the other side of the creek, I have not found the Delorme stock maps to be quite as accurate as the USGS Topos I download from Delorme.

BillyBob58
08-10-2013, 13:32
Heading there today on my way to Huntsville. I'll make sure it's still there! Ye Ha! If anyone is going to be in the AO, look for the happy guy swimming under the waterfall!

If you have a GPS with you, check the coordinates, and enjoy your swim!

Grapenut
08-11-2013, 14:42
If you have a GPS with you, check the coordinates, and enjoy your swim!

I didn't take a GPS otherwise I would have popped a grid for you.

The site is easy to find. The Park office address is: 2141 Bunker Loop Delta, AL 36258. That address works in my car GPS. You can stop there for a cold drink and a hand-drawn trail map.

When you leave the Park office parking lot, take a right. Go about 4-5 miles until you see the first and only small parking area on the left side of the road (really, its the only one so you can't go wrong). The trail entrance to the waterfall/campground is on the opposite side of the road (actually about 20 yards before you get to the parking lot). There are signs from there.

If the parking lot on the road is full, you can take the gravel road just across the street and follow it down and around to the right. You will see where the trail goes across the gravel road. There is an area just beyond where the trail crosses the road where you can park your car on the right.

EZ!

I verified that the waterfall is still there after hiking in from Adams Gap yesterday. I started the hike at 2:00 in the afternoon on the Stairway to Heaven side and I haven't been that hot and tired in a long, long time. The waterfall and the cool pool below were priceless!

Dead Man
08-13-2013, 08:47
Hey guys, just asking but is there a planning spreadsheet or anything for this? I haven't made the commitment to it yet but it is weighing heavy in my planning.

Billy Bob. You planning on being there? This may well tip the scale. Been wanting to meet you (live in person) for a while now.

:shades:

BillyBob58
08-13-2013, 11:26
Hey guys, just asking but is there a planning spreadsheet or anything for this? I haven't made the commitment to it yet but it is weighing heavy in my planning.

Billy Bob. You planning on being there? This may well tip the scale. Been wanting to meet you (live in person) for a while now.

:shades:

Thanks for that thought, DD, same towards you! I have certainly been thinking about it. I just drove right by that area once again, on I20, coming back from visiting a very sick cousin over in GA, and thought "Man I need to get over here!".

But I've got to where I don't commit to any hikes/camps very far in advance anymore, because I have had to bail on so many the last few years. So I tend not to say "I'm coming" until very near the event when the odds seem very good of me actually showing up.

The other factor is my ability to hike. I have been meaning to, and am actually going to, start a new thread related to that very subject. For the short version here, I am recently very encouraged about me being able to join a hike without the other guys nearly needing to carry me out. ( getting in is usually OK, it's the next day or two where there has been a problem). But things are really looking up on that. In the last week or two I did first ( with light pack) 2 miles with no issues the next day, then 3 and then 5, with almost no problems other than normal out of shape muscle problems which I don't care about. So it looks really good, but I would like a bit more confirmation before committing to any type of group hike. Don't want to be a drag to the other hikers! ( Last 2 hikes out of the Sipsey, and out of the Sawtooths, I have very slowly limped out, with a ridiculous amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth with every step! Don't want to subject anyone to that!)

Grapenut
08-13-2013, 18:01
Thanks for that thought, DD, same towards you! I have certainly been thinking about it. I just drove right by that area once again, on I20, coming back from visiting a very sick cousin over in GA, and thought "Man I need to get over here!".

But I've got to where I don't commit to any hikes/camps very far in advance anymore, because I have had to bail on so many the last few years. So I tend not to say "I'm coming" until very near the event when the odds seem very good of me actually showing up.

The other factor is my ability to hike. I have been meaning to, and am actually going to, start a new thread related to that very subject. For the short version here, I am recently very encouraged about me being able to join a hike without the other guys nearly needing to carry me out. ( getting in is usually OK, it's the next day or two where there has been a problem). But things are really looking up on that. In the last week or two I did first ( with light pack) 2 miles with no issues the next day, then 3 and then 5, with almost no problems other than normal out of shape muscle problems which I don't care about. So it looks really good, but I would like a bit more confirmation before committing to any type of group hike. Don't want to be a drag to the other hikers! ( Last 2 hikes out of the Sipsey, and out of the Sawtooths, I have very slowly limped out, with a ridiculous amount of wailing and gnashing of teeth with every step! Don't want to subject anyone to that!)

Just so you know, the campsite is only about 1 mile from the parking area on the main road and less than 1/2 mile if you park in the gravel road parking area.

aboyd
08-14-2013, 19:15
Yeah guys, this is an easy walk from the car for sure. I walked the gravel road from the Turnipseed parking lot down to the Chinnabee trail crossing, then followed the trail to the falls and campsite. It was .92 miles by my GPS. If others want to get a good hike in, there are certainly trails available. Or, if you want to be lazy and just "hang" out around camp all weekend (like I did last time), then that is certainly an option as well.

DomoTVA
08-15-2013, 09:26
Hey guys, I'm probably the newest Alabama guy here on the forum (3rd day), but I'm most likely gonna make this hang. Looking forward to meetiung some folks...

Dead Man
08-15-2013, 09:40
Billy - there are points where I feel your pain - literally. We had a youth kickoff at church the other night and I got roped into a series of dodgeball games (lost count after 7). The next two days reminded me why I had to quit playing softball. Wailing and gnashing indeed. :laugh:

I understand and will likely be in the same boat. Hit me up when it gets closer and maybe it will work out for the both of us. Would love for my son to meet ya (your a tad bit famous in the house from him reading over my shoulder on the forum). He's a sponge of a lad and he and his dad would enjoy a tip or three from a stand up guy like yourself.

Keep up the training and hope to see ya on the trail. :shades:

Grapenut
08-15-2013, 18:06
Hey guys, I'm probably the newest Alabama guy here on the forum (3rd day), but I'm most likely gonna make this hang. Looking forward to meetiung some folks...

Welcome! It will be a good time for sure.

abc
08-17-2013, 16:38
Hey guys haven't check up on this hang in a month looks like you guys got it planed without me. Sweet Been really busy cant wait for the hang it was fun in the spring I don't se why it wouldn't be fun in the fall.

kwchannell89
08-21-2013, 09:47
I'm new in Alabama and I may try to come to this hang. First weekend of October I have a backpacking trip plan in western North Carolina. What all do you guys do at a hang in Alabama? I'm looking to do some hiking here in Alabama when the weather gets colder. Too hot for me at the moment. :)

abc
08-28-2013, 16:07
if I could make it up to north carolina I would be there. in the spring we just chilled out but this time who know some might want to hike

TheGorge
08-29-2013, 23:33
Scratch my name off the list if it was on there.. I've had something come up. Hopefully I'll be able to make it to the next one!

Firedog
09-01-2013, 18:24
I'm in Squidbilly, You still have it on your calendar?

Mobius
09-06-2013, 08:26
I'm new here ... and I'm wondering if a "drop-in" would be OK? I'm looking for my first hammock, after being introduced to the hang on a father/son retreat in the Smokies last year.

I'm really not a hiker, or an experienced camper ... I've been 2 or 3 times in the past 15 years, but I used to motorcycle-camp a LOT in my younger days.

I'd be coming from Columbus, GA, most likely on Saturday. I'd love to see a handful of examples of how y'all hang.

abc
09-07-2013, 23:42
ya man come on you will have fun the hike to the camping site is not far from the parking lot.

DomoTVA
09-10-2013, 10:23
Haven't really seen any definite confirmation of the fall hang, specifically, Fri-Sun, or Sat/Sun. Is this still on? Also, anyone backpacking in more than the mile from the parking lot? Would like to do 4 or 5 miles in and back out. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Jaxx
09-11-2013, 11:42
Domo, Myself and Grapenut are planning on coming a day early and hiking from Adams Gap to the camp site. I think it's maybe 10 miles or so. We will camp at the top of stairway to heaven then finish the next day. We did it in half a day last time but it's a pretty cool camp at the top of Stairway, so we thought we might camp up there. As far as I know things are set for october 4-6 th with me and Grapenut coming in on the 3rd.

WE Would be doing this backwards..

Mileage
0 AL 281 CROSSING / PARKING AREA
.2 TURNIPSEED HUNTER'S CAMP ~ LC
.4 CREEK CROSSING ~ LC, RW
1.1 SPRING CROSSING ~ SW
2 LITTLE CANEY HEAD CAMPSITE ~ 2100' ~ LC, SW
2.1 SPRING CROSSING ~ 2120' ~ SW
2.2 CAMPSITE ~ 2120' ~ LC
2.3 ROCKY TOP 5 ~ 2160'
2.5 SPRING CROSSING ~ 2140' ~ SW
3.2 – 3.8 3 CAMPSITES ~ 2100' +/- ~ LC
3.6 HEAVEN / ROCKY TOP 4 ~ 2135' SC
3.7 PEARLY GATES ~ 2050'
4.3 STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN ~ 1575'
4.3 SIGN BOARD ~ 1575'
4.5 SIGN BOARD / ROAD BED ~ 1460'
4.8 SPRING CROSSING ~ 1360' ~ SW
4.9 CAMPSITE ~ 1380' ~ LC
6.8 – 8.1 6 SPRING CROSSINGS ~ 1360' +/- ~ SW
7.9 CHEAHA WILDERNESS BOUNDARY / INFO BOARD ~ 1500'
8 ADAMS GAP TRAILHEAD ~ 1444'

DomoTVA
09-11-2013, 14:50
Jaxx,

That sounds like a nice plan. I don't think I will be able to make it on the 3rd. Trying to talk a ground dweller/hangerwannabee friend of mine into coming, and if he does maybe we will follow in your footsteps a day later, getting to the hang late morning. I'm still getting my hiking legs back after years... how difficult is that climb up stairway?

Grapenut
09-11-2013, 21:35
I'm new here ... and I'm wondering if a "drop-in" would be OK? I'm looking for my first hammock, after being introduced to the hang on a father/son retreat in the Smokies last year.

I'm really not a hiker, or an experienced camper ... I've been 2 or 3 times in the past 15 years, but I used to motorcycle-camp a LOT in my younger days.

I'd be coming from Columbus, GA, most likely on Saturday. I'd love to see a handful of examples of how y'all hang.

Mobius, I can lend you a hammock if you need one for the weekend. I have a tarp too...and a light underquilt. You will need to bring a sleeping bag to use as a top quilt.

Jaxx
09-11-2013, 23:28
Jaxx,

That sounds like a nice plan. I don't think I will be able to make it on the 3rd. Trying to talk a ground dweller/hangerwannabee friend of mine into coming, and if he does maybe we will follow in your footsteps a day later, getting to the hang late morning. I'm still getting my hiking legs back after years... how difficult is that climb up stairway?

I guess it depends on your level of fitness but if you are in fairly decent shape it shouldn't be to bad of a climb. Take it slow and rest often ,you'll be ok.

aboyd
09-19-2013, 17:28
Bumping this one up, let's try to get a head count. I plan to be there late afternoon on Friday.

Grapenut
09-19-2013, 17:47
I am definitely in "as advertised." I plan to work on my baking skills while there. Anyone with any experience baking? If so, please bring your bakin' stuff.

Should still be warm enough for a dip in the waterfall too!

I'm psyched!

Thanks for bumping this up Aboyd.

aboyd
09-19-2013, 18:17
I am definitely in "as advertised." I plan to work on my baking skills while there. Anyone with any experience baking? If so, please bring your bakin' stuff.

Should still be warm enough for a dip in the waterfall too!

I'm psyched!

Thanks for bumping this up Aboyd.

I have done some baking before. Will bring my setup if I still have it.

lmoseley7
09-19-2013, 21:43
Hoping to come Friday night and bring my son. It will be our first group hang!

aboyd
09-22-2013, 14:42
Grapenut, did some steam baking this afternoon...banana nut muffin was yummie!

https://db.tt/rf7QQsuC

https://db.tt/lxYAhSaV

https://db.tt/zmdN40nU

Grapenut
09-22-2013, 19:57
Grapenut, did some steam baking this afternoon...banana nut muffin was yummie!

https://db.tt/rf7QQsuC

https://db.tt/lxYAhSaV

https://db.tt/zmdN40nU

What size pot? Aluminum can for the baking dish? Looks tasty.

aboyd
09-22-2013, 20:07
Used my 700ml Backcountry pot and a Blue Diamond almonds can for baking. Coiled up some aluminium flashing to raise the can off bottom of pot. I havd also used my 10cm imusa pot before.

Jaxx
09-23-2013, 06:34
I'm still coming on Thursday the 3rd.

aboyd
09-23-2013, 07:30
I can't make the 3rd, but plan on being there late afternoon on Friday. Earlier if I can slip out of the office after lunch.

pabica
09-23-2013, 19:57
I would like to join y'all... I will be there sometime Friday afternoon and stay overnight... Just a newbie (just a few nights in the woods).... but I look forward to sharing in the fun...

Tx...
Bill...

Grapenut
09-23-2013, 20:29
I'm still coming on Thursday the 3rd.

Me too...will be there NLT 12 noon.

Grapenut
09-23-2013, 20:31
Used my 700ml Backcountry pot and a Blue Diamond almonds can for baking. Coiled up some aluminium flashing to raise the can off bottom of pot. I havd also used my 10cm imusa pot before.

Nice...how much fuel did it take and how much muffin mix?

aboyd
09-23-2013, 22:10
Did not measure the fuel, but I baked 3 small muffins out of one package of ths "just add water" kind. I put about 3 ounces of fuel in the Trangia, and still have some left after 3 bakes.

abc
09-26-2013, 11:05
Did not measure the fuel, but I baked 3 small muffins out of one package of ths "just add water" kind. I put about 3 ounces of fuel in the Trangia, and still have some left after 3 bakes.
does this mean we will have desert on this trip aboyd

aboyd
09-26-2013, 13:28
does this mean we will have desert on this trip aboyd

Quite possible. Picked up a few other muffin and biscuit mixes at the store today. I might cook up some samples.

Grapenut
09-26-2013, 20:48
Ok folks...just went through the thread and the following folks said they will try to make it...24 Hangers! Some were maybes. Please look at the list and if I missed you please sound off...if you can't come now then holler about that too.

Jaxx and I will be there on the 3rd by 12 noon and will meet in the parking lot adjacent to the Turnipseed Hunter's camp camping area. We plan to hike to the top of the Stairway to Heaven before joining the rest of the group Saturday at the waterfall. Anyone else want to join us?

Best Regards,

abc
aboyd
buhlee
BillyBob58
DaddyDaddy
defsquad
DomoTVA +1?
Ewker
firedog
grapenut
halfastronomical
jaxx
lmoseley + son
mobius
obmit
pabica
prob
squidbilly
TheGorge
tight-wad?
tyler73?
13ptbuck?

obmit
09-29-2013, 14:53
Looks like I will be able to make Friday & Saturday but not Sunday. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

aboyd
09-29-2013, 21:28
OK, just to make sure everyone know where we will be, the Cheaha Falls Shelter coordinates are 33.453071, -85.849485. As for a map, see attached. It shows Turnipseed and the Cheaha Falls Shelter. The camping spot is marked by the blue star...approximate location. If you are familiar with hiking towards the Cheaha shelter from the Turnipseed camp, we will be right before the stream crossing below the shelter. The parking on State Route 281 is right about where the "S" on State-Rte 281 is on the map. The trail is directly across the road from the parking lot. Or, you can follow the gravel road in and you will come to the trail crossing. Follow the train sign to Cheaha Falls Shelter. Hope this helps.

The trail you see marked on the map is the Chinnabee that goes east towards the Pinhoti, through Turnipseed camp. We will be going west, or more northwest I guess you could say, away from Turnipseed.

Grapenut
09-29-2013, 22:17
And...we could have quite a few hangers but that shouldn't be an issue. The nice thing about Cheaha is you can camp just about anywhere you want to as long as you are off the trail (I believe they want folks 50 yards away). Flexer Gumbi.

Jaxx
09-30-2013, 07:28
This should be a good turnout. Anyone heard from Buhlee? he's been inactive since the 15th?

stevebo
09-30-2013, 07:51
Have a great time guys! (I would love to join you , but have to work that weekend:( )

DomoTVA
09-30-2013, 09:31
Looks like I'm not gonna be able to make it either. My +1 backed out, and think I will have to work as well. Hope you guys have a great time!

prob
09-30-2013, 10:32
Unfortunately, I've had something come up, and won't be able to make this one. You guys have fun, and I'll try to catch the next one.

Jaxx
09-30-2013, 16:03
I talked with steve (buhlee)he said he's coming on Wednesday and then meeting up with me and Grapenut on thursday . Man I'm stoked for this!

Buhlee
09-30-2013, 16:57
I will definitely be coming (as long as congress pays the military tomorrow). See you guys in a few days.

aboyd
10-01-2013, 21:45
It is looking like I may have to miss this one. Something came up with the kids. It may change, but for now it is not looking like I can make it.

Grapenut
10-01-2013, 22:26
It is looking like I may have to miss this one. Something came up with the kids. It may change, but for now it is not looking like I can make it.

Well, hope all is ok! Would sure like to hang out with you if you can make it.

bigbamaguy
10-01-2013, 23:08
Really like seeing Bama folks getting together and hanging out together. Its been a while since I've been on HF and I really hate Mandydawn and myself are not going to make this hang. Its a besutiful area and a great place to hang out. Enjoy the woods and hope to see you on the trail at some point in the future.

aboyd
10-02-2013, 05:11
Wish you and Mandy could make it Bigbamaguy, it's been a while.

All is well grapenut. Kids running in both direction and hate to leave it all to the wife. Hope to figure it out and still make the hang

aboyd
10-02-2013, 07:46
Wife is encouraging me to go ahead and make the trip, so I plan to make it, unless the kids decide not to cooperate. :-)

Really looking forward to enjoying some hammock time. Been a busy few weeks, so I could use the break.

bigbamaguy
10-02-2013, 09:58
Aboyd it would be really nice to get out this weekend but Mandy is working and so am I. We will make the Mid TN hang at the end of the month, if you can get away come up and join us there.

halfastronomical
10-02-2013, 10:09
Ok folks...just went through the thread and the following folks said they will try to make it...24 Hangers! Some were maybes. Please look at the list and if I missed you please sound off...if you can't come now then holler about that too.

Jaxx and I will be there on the 3rd by 12 noon and will meet in the parking lot adjacent to the Turnipseed Hunter's camp camping area. We plan to hike to the top of the Stairway to Heaven before joining the rest of the group Saturday at the waterfall. Anyone else want to join us?

Best Regards,

abc
aboyd
buhlee
BillyBob58
DaddyDaddy
defsquad
DomoTVA +1?
Ewker
firedog
grapenut
halfastronomical
jaxx
lmoseley + son
mobius
obmit
pabica
prob
squidbilly
TheGorge
tight-wad?
tyler73?
13ptbuck?

Hey folks. Due to the Govt Shutdown, I am gonna have to unfortunately spend my weekend having a yard sale instead of hanging with you fine folks If at all possible I may hike in on Saturday night. I hiked that way a couple weeks ago and I know that I could make it easily in the dark, so that is my plan. I am packed and ready to go.

aboyd
10-02-2013, 10:14
Hey folks. Due to the Govt Shutdown, I am gonna have to unfortunately spend my weekend having a yard sale instead of hanging with you fine folks If at all possible I may hike in on Saturday night. I hiked that way a couple weeks ago and I know that I could make it easily in the dark, so that is my plan. I am packed and ready to go.

Sure hate you can;t make it due to the stupidity on capital hill:(.

If you can make it out Saturday, come on...we should have a good group.

aboyd
10-02-2013, 21:43
So, is there any chance the area we are camping might be closed? Since we will be in the Talladega National Forest, is there a chance we might get run off by a ranger? Just checking. We could always go up to the state park I guess, but would prefer not too. I am not real concerned, just throwing this out there.

FlySubCompact
10-03-2013, 02:23
The only place I heard was closed was the Chinnabee Lake campground that is down-trail from the proposed hang area.The trail was open to "experienced" hikers earlier this Summer.

squidbilly
10-03-2013, 07:49
So, is there any chance the area we are camping might be closed? Since we will be in the Talladega National Forest, is there a chance we might get run off by a ranger? Just checking. We could always go up to the state park I guess, but would prefer not too. I am not real concerned, just throwing this out there.

Here is an e-mail my wife just received regarding the closure:

Hello Friends,
I want to inform you of a couple of things in regards to the government shutdown. As of today, we will be closing our offices for the National Forests in Alabama. We have been instructed to inform our volunteers that as of today, we are not authorized to allow volunteer activity on the National Forest. Now I realize that seems odd…you may ask, why would we turn down free help? Here’s why it is important….as you know, anytime anyone volunteers on the National Forest, we require a volunteer form be completed. This protects our volunteers in case of injury.... Currently, we cannot cover anyone for any type of operation on the National Forest. So please, if you have any work days or other activities planned on the national forest, please postpone them until we get back up and running.
We have also been instructed to close all developed campgrounds and recreation areas. Within 48 hours we will be asking people to leave the campgrounds and we will shut the gates. The Pinhoti Trail and other areas of the forest that do not require a fee will be left open to the public. There will be no trash pickup, bathroom cleaning, or any other activity while we are shut down. If there is an emergency, as always, please call 911 or your local Sheriff’s Office.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to call me on my cell phone. I will be working throughout the shut down to keep employees and visitors informed of what’s happening. My cell number is (256) 201-1194. Our office phones will not be answered as of today so the cell is the only way to get me.
Karen McKenzie
Shoal Creek Ranger District
Talladega National Forest
Heflin, Alabama
(256) 463-2272

I'm not sure, but I think we will be in the Talladega Ranger District. The policy is probably the same though. All campgrounds and facilities(like Turnipseed Camp) will be closed, but areas not requiring fees should still be open.

aboyd
10-03-2013, 08:55
Here is an e-mail my wife just received regarding the closure:

Hello Friends,
I want to inform you of a couple of things in regards to the government shutdown. As of today, we will be closing our offices for the National Forests in Alabama. We have been instructed to inform our volunteers that as of today, we are not authorized to allow volunteer activity on the National Forest. Now I realize that seems odd…you may ask, why would we turn down free help? Here’s why it is important….as you know, anytime anyone volunteers on the National Forest, we require a volunteer form be completed. This protects our volunteers in case of injury.... Currently, we cannot cover anyone for any type of operation on the National Forest. So please, if you have any work days or other activities planned on the national forest, please postpone them until we get back up and running.
We have also been instructed to close all developed campgrounds and recreation areas. Within 48 hours we will be asking people to leave the campgrounds and we will shut the gates. The Pinhoti Trail and other areas of the forest that do not require a fee will be left open to the public. There will be no trash pickup, bathroom cleaning, or any other activity while we are shut down. If there is an emergency, as always, please call 911 or your local Sheriff’s Office.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to call me on my cell phone. I will be working throughout the shut down to keep employees and visitors informed of what’s happening. My cell number is (256) 201-1194. Our office phones will not be answered as of today so the cell is the only way to get me.
Karen McKenzie
Shoal Creek Ranger District
Talladega National Forest
Heflin, Alabama
(256) 463-2272

I'm not sure, but I think we will be in the Talladega Ranger District. The policy is probably the same though. All campgrounds and facilities(like Turnipseed Camp) will be closed, but areas not requiring fees should still be open.

Thanks Squidbilly, sounds like we are fine. I know a few of the guys went up yesterday to hike and are meeting us at the falls. I guess if they ran into issues, they would post an update if possible. Looking forward to a few days relaxing in the woods.

squidbilly
10-03-2013, 09:35
I just spoke with Karen, she says we should be fine. The policy is the same for all US National Forests: all developed facilities requiring staff and/or a fee for use will be closed. (campgrounds,shooting ranges etc.) All other trails and trailheads will be open.

lmoseley7
10-03-2013, 10:08
Change of plans for my son and me. The wife has to work Saturday morning so we will be coming up Saturday afternoon. Hope to be there around 4:00 or so. Looking forward to meeting some fellow members.

TheGorge
10-04-2013, 15:49
I apologize for not letting anybody know sooner, but I haven't had time to get on HF lately to let you know I can't make it. I hope to be able to make it to the next one though!

pabica
10-06-2013, 07:53
A couple of pictures from the hang on Saturday... I had to leave early... the job calls, and I must respond....

More pictures at:
http://pabica.com/cheahafall2013/

http://pabica.com/cheahafall2013/Thumbnails/2.jpg http://pabica.com/cheahafall2013/Thumbnails/3.jpg

aboyd
10-06-2013, 13:01
Thanks for sharing the pics Pabica. Enjoyed meeting you, hope to hang out together again sometime.

FlySubCompact
10-06-2013, 23:37
Just wanted to thank y'all for educating a couple of newbie hangers and sharing your campfire. This was our first hammock forum hang. Enjoyed the hospitality and education.

Been having fun back at the house messing with the new suspension rigs we bought from Squidbilly.

aboyd
10-07-2013, 06:35
Just wanted to thank y'all for educating a couple of newbie hangers and sharing your campfire. This was our first hammock forum hang. Enjoyed the hospitality and education.

Been having fun back at the house messing with the new suspension rigs we bought from Squidbilly.

Enjoyed meeting you guys, hope to see you again sometime.

FlySubCompact
10-07-2013, 11:20
Aboyd,

Ditto on that. We hope to catch more group hangs as time/weather/equipment permit. It was fun and interesting.