PDA

View Full Version : Moab?

Brimstone
07-16-2013, 15:07
Is there anywhere near Moab that is viable for a hammock?

pgibson
07-16-2013, 15:51
One or two of the campgrounds along the river have some trees. Not a ton though so get to the CG early in the day and hunt for the best spot. Seems like there was a CG on the Moab side of the river about 5-6 miles down stream from town that had more trees than the others.

seuss
10-17-2013, 12:35
Depends on how strictly you define "hammock"

If you're willing to spend 24 hours rigging a hammock with 70m lines (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2356795/Would-camp-Thrill-seekers-pitch-tents-ravine-just-rope-420-FEET-drop.html) 400'+ above the ground . . . sure.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/07/05/article-2356795-1AABFB56000005DC-191_634x423.jpg

GrizzlyHackle
10-18-2013, 08:15
When you are heading towards Arches from Moab, turn left just after you cross the river. There are a number of campsites, some with Pit Toilets, on your right. I was in Moab for a week staying in a hotel before I took that drive along the river and found them. I had my hammock with me but never used it. I will know better the next time I am there.

SLCpod
12-23-2013, 12:53
As others have said, there are some good spots but they require some searching. You have to get out early to find a good spot. Don't over look some picnic pavilions.

OutandBack
12-23-2013, 13:16
If you follow the river down stream out of town there are several places to hang your hammock along the river. But in general hanging places are hard to find.
When I mtn bike there (Spring/Fall) I usually sleep in my vehicle.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5516/9601844840_2bc66b16ef_c.jpg

cataraftgirl
12-26-2013, 19:14
A lot of the "trees" along the river are really just scrubby stuff like Tamarisk & Russian olive (big thorns) that don't work well for hanging. Look for areas with big cottonwoods. These would work better. The downstream road along the river is much more remote/less traffic than the upstream highway. If you go upstream, look for the road that goes up Onion Creek. Might be something up there???

2eez4life
12-26-2013, 19:22
Yes do it!
Head down Kane creek road and continue descending down to the canyon floor, there are multiple offshoot ravine oasis's with big enough trees to sling from. Been there done that.

321jer
12-27-2013, 21:48
When are you coming to Moab? Are you going to be near Moab or on the outskirts.

Close to Moab

Along Hwy 279 (aka Potash rd) there is a Jaycee Park campground with some fairly large cottonwoods.

Along Hwy 128 (aka river rd) there is an oak grove campground with a bunch of shrubby oak. Im not sure of tree trunk size and if they'd be suitable for hanging, but there's a good chance especially if you tied the first tree off to a second to secure it.

Down Kane creek there is a Moon Flower Canyon camping area where I know there are good trees for hanging. I've seen a hammock down there. There are just a few camp sites close to the parking lot the rest require a short pack-in. (A few hundred yards to maybe a quarter mile).

Farther from Moab

Ken's lake campground has a few options.

If you are going late spring or summer, up in the LaSal mountains would be an awesome place to hang. Warner Lake campground is covered in aspen trees. Oowah lake is beautiful and probably has some good places but I haven't spent as much time there so I'm not as familiar with it.

The La Sal mtns are about 45 mins from Moab.

Those are the places that come to mind.

PM me with your phone number if you want. I live in Moab and don't mind chatting with you about it.

Good luck. Its a fun place to visit.