PDA

View Full Version : Should I try a Speer?

Big Suave
03-13-2009, 08:06
I purchased a Warbonnet Blackbird a while ago and while I think it's superb quality I do have one complaint. Using it as a seat to just chill out and relax in is impractical. The ridgeline is directly in my face and/or head area so you can't really sit comfortably in it. I'm starting an AT thru hike in a couple of weeks and thought it would be nice to have a hammock I could actually sit and relax in. So I was wondering if you Speer owners find it comfortable using your hammock as a seat for cooking, relaxing, whatever???? Thanks

neo
03-13-2009, 08:34
I purchased a Warbonnet Blackbird a while ago and while I think it's superb quality I do have one complaint. Using it as a seat to just chill out and relax in is impractical. The ridgeline is directly in my face and/or head area so you can't really sit comfortably in it. I'm starting an AT thru hike in a couple of weeks and thought it would be nice to have a hammock I could actually sit and relax in. So I was wondering if you Speer owners find it comfortable using your hammock as a seat for cooking, relaxing, whatever???? Thanks

my claytor jungle hammock serves all my needs,i set and sleep well in it:cool:neo

Mustardman
03-13-2009, 08:40

You could just add a quick-detach to your blackbird's ridgeline. Or alternatively, it would be pretty easy to just outright remove the ridgeline temporarily.

Several folks on these forums have cut the ridgeline on their hennessey hammocks, and added a carabiner in the middle somewhere so they can reattach it when they feel like it. Rather than investing in a whole new hammock, perhaps a simple mod like that would work.

Big Suave
03-13-2009, 08:46
You could just add a quick-detach to your blackbird's ridgeline. Or alternatively, it would be pretty easy to just outright remove the ridgeline temporarily.

Several folks on these forums have cut the ridgeline on their hennessey hammocks, and added a carabiner in the middle somewhere so they can reattach it when they feel like it. Rather than investing in a whole new hammock, perhaps a simple mod like that would work.

Never really thought about that. I guess with my lack of knowledge on hammocks I thought the ridgeline was structural and had to be there at all times. Thanks, I'll check that out

Ramblinrev
03-13-2009, 08:57
contact Warbonnetguy and ask his suggestion for doing that.

Alan
03-13-2009, 09:05
Before modifying your BB, you might consider a little ENO/TrekLight/TTTM single or double for use as a camp seat.

On a recent trip, my BB setup was my preferred sleeping quarters and I hung an ENO Singlenest next to the fire/food/social area of our campground and used it as a seat while we cooked, visted, and just relaxed.

Coldspring
03-13-2009, 09:07
So far, my biggest complaint about the Blackbird is the netting tie outs. It seems like you have to get them really tight to get everything set up correctly. When you enter and exit the hammock, you have to duck under the netting. I haven't spent enough time in it, to use it as a seat yet. If someone had a bad back or something, wouldn't this really be an issue? I would much rather have the side tieouts attached to the hammock body, rather than the netting. If the Speers had zippers around the netting, I would have one instead of the Blackbird. I just absolutely hate velcro that is over 2 feet long! So check most of the Jacks R Better and Speers products off of the list of things I'll have in my arsenal.

Cannibal
03-13-2009, 09:08
Yeah, modifying the ridgleline isn't that difficult. A biner to join/unjoin would do the trick and be really easy to switch back and forth. I've been thinking of doing the same to mine. The only thing the ridgeline does is set a consistent sag in the hammock; that's what "structural" refers to. You could remove the ridgeline altogether if you wanted to; the BB would still be just as comfy you'd just have to pay attention to the sag when setting it up.

Coldspring
03-13-2009, 09:09
Before modifying your BB, you might consider a little ENO/TrekLight/TTTM single or double for use as a camp seat.

On a recent trip, my BB setup was my preferred sleeping quarters and I hung an ENO Singlenest next to the fire/food/social area of our campground and used it as a seat while we cooked, visted, and just relaxed.

If I was going on a LONG hike, I don't think I would be carrying two hammocks??? I wouldn't even carry two hammocks on an overnighter. :confused:

Cannibal
03-13-2009, 09:15
I wouldn't even carry two hammocks on an overnighter. :confused:
Ooo, I often do that. It's nice to have a 'camp' hammock set-up just for sitting/lounging. The weight penelty of just the TrekLight or ENO (no tarp or quilt) isn't much if it's just an in and out of the woods. Speaking of "in and out", I'm hungry.:D

Alan
03-13-2009, 09:15
If I was going on a LONG hike, I don't think I would be carrying two hammocks??? I wouldn't even carry two hammocks on an overnighter. :confused:

Quite right! My apologies! I'm having reading comprehension issues this morning and skipped right over that important info in his post.

Sorry about that!

stevebo
05-09-2009, 16:19
I had a hennesy hammock, and didnt like it much-------I have been so much happier with my speer. I made my own, so I was able to custom fit it to my size. It was easy to build, its really easy and fast to set up, (much faster than a hennesy in my opinion!) Its comfortable, and fun to use---------whats not to like! Also, its so versital, works great as a chair, a hammock, with bug net, without bugnet etc. The possibilities are endless.

Clumseybear
07-18-2009, 06:59
I know this may be a little late on a reply but I recently aquired a Speer with a Cat Tarp. I like it much more than I thought I would. At first the velcro idea was just throwing me off but after setting it up and using it a couple of times it really is a nice set up. Ed's customer service is awesome. When my tarp came in it was missing the Stuff Sac. I called Ed and he immediately shipped one with 2 of his caribiners. The Speer set up weighs less than my Clark, so that is an advantage too.

LyttleBryan
10-06-2009, 18:05
Be glad you have In and Outs :(

MacEntyre
10-06-2009, 19:34
If the Speers had zippers around the netting, I would have one instead of the Blackbird.
I wonder if 2Questions is listening...

:confused:

- MacEntyre