PDA

View Full Version : MI>FALL HANG> Sept 27,28 & 29 2013

sr1355
07-22-2013, 08:05
Well it's that time to start thinking about another Michigan HF Tradition our annual Fall Hang. Last year we had a great time on the MRT at Slagle Creek even with all the RAIN!!!! Thinking about possible locations for this fall I have a few suggestions to consider.

Slagle Creek USFS CG, Mesick MI- MRT Drive in primitive car camping with hiking and paddling on the Manistee River. No hand pump or vaulted toilet.

Seaton Creek USFS CG, Mesick MI - MRT Drive in rustic camping with hiking and paddling on Manistee River. Hand pump and vaulted toilet.

Lake Dubonnet SFCG, Interlochen MI - Drive in rustic camping on Lake Dubonnet close to Plate River, Boardman River, Lost Lake Pathway, Sleeping Bear Dunes, and Traverse City. Hand pump and vaulted toilet.

Interlochen SP, Interlochen MI - Drive modern camping close to Plate River, Boardman River, Lost Lake Pathway, Sleeping Bear Dunes, and Traverse City. Water and shower building. They have large group sites that I would need to look into if this is an option for the hang which would fit 100+ hangers.

Open to other suggestion as well....

sr1355
07-22-2013, 08:29
I do have an email request into DNR Program Assistant for Interlochen SP requesting details for using group sites. Should hear back in a day or two to know if that is an option for us....

Jeff Kindy
07-22-2013, 09:18
Depending on how many people are going. I have been to Island Lake in Brighton. They have a group camping area with some nice trees for hanging. Outhouses and a pump well. Swimming lake about 1 mile on the trail or short drive. It is $180 for Friday and Saturday night for like 10 sites / 4 people per site. Great spot because there are no other campers in that park.

Jerrysr
07-22-2013, 17:31
1 for Dubonnet

Have been camping off and on at Dubonnet since the 70s. ( for the last several years its been off but I always stop and wet a line). I would love to camp there. One side of the dam is the horse camp and several (loosely defined) sites overlook the lake from a high bank. ( dibs on the corner site :tongueup: ) the other side has several designated sites
Its a great place, quiet, sandy soil, it has very good water (I like it anyways),fishing has been good in the past and lots of trees but, I have never looked at it from a hangers perspective.
I'll bet it would work out well. ( Since there's horse droppings- hanging might be a better option :thumbup:)

I will start priming my wife and see if we can make it.

I am camper camping at Interlochen SP this weekend. Hoping for a hammock friendly site.

JerrySr.

sr1355
07-23-2013, 07:06
1 for Dubonnet

Have been camping off and on at Dubonnet since the 70s. ( for the last several years its been off but I always stop and wet a line). I would love to camp there. One side of the dam is the horse camp and several (loosely defined) sites overlook the lake from a high bank. ( dibs on the corner site :tongueup: ) the other side has several designated sites
Its a great place, quiet, sandy soil, it has very good water (I like it anyways),fishing has been good in the past and lots of trees but, I have never looked at it from a hangers perspective.
I'll bet it would work out well. ( Since there's horse droppings- hanging might be a better option :thumbup:)

I will start priming my wife and see if we can make it.

I am camper camping at Interlochen SP this weekend. Hoping for a hammock friendly site.

JerrySr.

Spent a few nights at Lake DuBonnet ths summer, great SFCG for hanging. Lake is nice for paddling with lots of great rivers close by as well.

Depending on how many people are going. I have been to Island Lake in Brighton. They have a group camping area with some nice trees for hanging. Outhouses and a pump well. Swimming lake about 1 mile on the trail or short drive. It is $180 for Friday and Saturday night for like 10 sites / 4 people per site. Great spot because there are no other campers in that park.

Certainly a possible option, I'll see if site is available for a group event.

Stone
07-23-2013, 09:42
I'm there. Just let me know the place and time!

sr1355
07-23-2013, 14:44
Interlochen SP is out, entire north unit will be closed of electrical improvements.

Redoleary
07-23-2013, 16:06
I'm gonna suggest AuSable River Canoe Camp (http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?id=556&type=SFCG) Just outside of Grayling. My wife and I stayed a night there last summer and we were the only ones there. In the a.m. a ranger guy came by and said almost nobody uses this place accept the locals. So, it was quiet and it had trees, a pit toilet and water pump, no electricity IIRC. Its on the river so those interested could paddle, but it has road access....obviously. Just putt'n it out there. I don't know if it's any less of a drive for the east siders?

easy_grounder
07-23-2013, 17:07
I'm in +1 (JP) for wherever we end up. As long as the place has trees and isn't on fire.

I voted for Dubonnet cuz I liked the name.

Stone
07-23-2013, 19:02
I'm open for wherever

sr1355
07-23-2013, 19:06
I'm gonna suggest AuSable River Canoe Camp (http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?id=556&type=SFCG) Just outside of Grayling. My wife and I stayed a night there last summer and we were the only ones there. In the a.m. a ranger guy came by and said almost nobody uses this place accept the locals. So, it was quiet and it had trees, a pit toilet and water pump, no electricity IIRC. Its on the river so those interested could paddle, but it has road access....obviously. Just putt'n it out there. I don't know if it's any less of a drive for the east siders?

Nice option, been there myself and great location for group hang. We had the whole place to ourselves on a Friday in July. Also livery in Grayling for those who would like to canoe/kayak the AuSable. Could be fun paddle hang....

gargoyle
07-23-2013, 19:07
I'm open for wherever

I thought for sure you were gonna vote "Ludington"...again. :laugh::rolleyes:

I think if we keep it south, we can attract neighboring states??

sr1355
07-23-2013, 19:11

Any thoughts? Most of my personal time has been spent north... Maybe Warren Dunes SP???

ToHa
07-23-2013, 19:20
+1 on Redoleary! I grew up in the heart of the Huron National Forest. Many great camp sites all along the Ausable River. Excellent place to have a hang in that neck of the woods! If I'm allowed outta VA to return to the promise land, I'll go wherever y'all are hanging!

gargoyle
07-23-2013, 19:22
The first MI hang was at Deep Lake. Part of the Yankee Springs Rec. Area. A lake to fish, swim, and cruise some (lake is somewhat small) in a 'yak. Vault toilets, pump water. No crowd this time of year. Mountain bike trails.
Deep Lake (http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?id=246&type=SPCG) (its to the far right on the map)

and its 10 min. from my house....:rolleyes:

ToHa
07-23-2013, 19:26
I thought for sure you were gonna vote "Ludington"...again. :laugh::rolleyes:

I hope you meant the likes of Illinois, Indiana & Pennsylvania. Remember fall is college football season. Don't wanna have a ruckus in the woods...:scared:

gargoyle
07-23-2013, 19:31
I hope you meant the likes of Illinois, Indiana & Pennsylvania. Remember fall is college football season. Don't wanna have a ruckus in the woods...:scared:

Yep, can't miss Big Blue!!:cool:
The first hang had folks from Illinois and Indiana...along with the Michigan folks.

sr1355
07-23-2013, 19:33
The first MI hang was at Deep Lake. Part of the Yankee Springs Rec. Area. A lake to fish, swim, and cruise some (lake is somewhat small) in a 'yak. Vault toilets, pump water. No crowd this time of year. Mountain bike trails.
Deep Lake (http://www.michigandnr.com/parksandtrails/Details.aspx?id=246&type=SPCG) (its to the far right on the map)

and its 10 min. from my house....:rolleyes:

Another good option for us to consider. We could all use your house as the shower building as well...:lol:

gargoyle
07-23-2013, 19:38
Another good option for us to consider. We could all use your house as the shower building as well...:lol:

There is shower/bathrooms at the Gun Lake campground (for rv's). But a pass at Deep Lake gives the folks free use of the facilities at GL. 5 minute drive.

Redoleary
07-23-2013, 19:56
I'd second Deep Lake, its probably less than a 4 hr drive from almost anywhere in the Lower Peninsula, and as Gargoyle said would offer additional access to out of state folk.

Bush
07-23-2013, 21:06
I'd go for a return to Deep Lake. It did seem to attract people from a variety of locations. Had a good turnout as well. Plenty of activity options and plenty of good trees for hanging...Bush

Wolverine
07-23-2013, 21:13
I thought Ludington was the Triple A Farm club of Michigan Hangers, but I'm all for making Gargoyle happy. I'd be good with Deep Lake.

Stone
07-23-2013, 21:29
I was thinking Ludington would be a good spot. That's a great idea G! LOL! I,m good for wherever.

nimbus37
07-24-2013, 09:41
Deep lake works for us. We could bring some non-hangers too! Plus that weekend is a bye week in UofM's football schedule so we can make it!

Mike

canoebie
07-24-2013, 09:46
Just a note about Deep Lake, alcohol is forbidden. There have been those who have camped there and consumed with no issue, then there are those who have been busted like a bunch of high school kids. Won't name any names.:lol:

Stone
07-24-2013, 10:16
Just a note about Deep Lake, alcohol is forbidden. There have been those who have camped there and consumed with no issue, then there are those who have been busted like a bunch of high school kids. Won't name any names.:lol:

I think that is a deal breaker. LOL!

TZBrown
07-24-2013, 14:39
Watching and waiting on a chosen location.

I have no preference, but I sure hope to be there

Dblcorona
07-24-2013, 17:32
I'm kind of liking the Deep Lake option. Now that my crazy 7 months is done, I should be hanging around a bit more (pun intended).

devils son in law
07-25-2013, 06:21
Put me down for the paddle into the campsite. White Pine State Forest Campground between Wakeley and McMasters bridges on the North side of the river is a nice spot with not much use. Get to it by river or road. Even if the whole group doesn't go, I'll meet up with anyone!

mountainhanger
07-25-2013, 09:13
i would like to be there and might be able to again this year! I like the deep lake option, coming from indiana.. plus being a non drinker the alcohol rule doesnt bother me..just me tho..

shogun_8574
07-25-2013, 13:51
I think Deep lake sounds good. Sure we can find something to do other than drink....not sure what that is yet, but..... :unsure:

Vulture
07-25-2013, 21:07
I haven't hung since... February? Been focused on milking out as much time with my kids as possible. I'm looking forward to hanging again. I need to get and would welcome advice on suspension as I have none yet. KISS principle would be good. I will try to make it to wherever the hang is.

LakeSuperior777
07-26-2013, 07:34
Deep Lake sounds nice

hangswithraccoons
07-26-2013, 11:08
I'm in the sooner we pick a date the better. :)

sr1355
07-26-2013, 11:09
I'm in the sooner we pick a date the better. :)

Dates are picked, Sept 27-29, 2013....

cjayflo
07-26-2013, 23:23
Thank you for planning in advance! I will see if I can get the date off, I already have a trip planned for second weekend in Oct.
Deep lake sounds good to me.

Kerrkid
07-29-2013, 05:09
I'm in for that weekend.

nimbus37
07-29-2013, 08:25
I am pretty sure that me, my wife and maybe even a friend will be in for the Deep Lake location. Looking forward to it.

Nimbus

OneClick
07-29-2013, 09:41
Well, Deep Lake looks like a good idea. All the good stuff seems to be up north but I can use a break from the 4+ hour drives. I could make Deep Lake in a little over 2hrs. I'm also more of a backpacker, but it would be nice to relax and take it easy for once!

OneClick
07-29-2013, 12:01
Nice option, been there myself and great location for group hang. We had the whole place to ourselves on a Friday in July. Also livery in Grayling for those who would like to canoe/kayak the AuSable. Could be fun paddle hang....

This sounds like fun too. Plus, I'll take any excuse I can get to stop by Spike's in Grayling for a Spikeburger!

easy_grounder
07-29-2013, 13:01
Alright Paul, you gonna make the executive decision?

I vote for the Deep Lake option as well.

There's a 13 mile MTB loop. TH right at the parking lot. That seals the deal for me as I'll bring Jips and my bikes.

Map of the rec area attached for anyone who wants to review.

Peace

Reyno2ac
07-29-2013, 13:33
Deep Lake sounds like fun!

Do we need to reserve a camp site for hammocks, or is there rustic camping widely available?

OneClick
07-29-2013, 14:01
Rustic camping, kayak, mountain bike, hammock, food and "Cola"...sounds like a good time to me!

sr1355
07-29-2013, 16:55
Deep Lake sounds like fun!

Do we need to reserve a camp site for hammocks, or is there rustic camping widely available?

Most rustic camping is first come first serve from what I understand. I will be contacting management unit to discuss details this week. Once I have worked that out we can start an official thread with dates and location.

OneClick
07-30-2013, 12:35
Paul, thanks for your efforts in making this happen!

ohiomp84
07-31-2013, 09:50
So excited! If it works out with my schedule, this will be my first hang!!!

sr1355
07-31-2013, 10:04
So excited! If it works out with my schedule, this will be my first hang!!!

Hope you can make it, will be a GREAT time...:D

bloomgorge
07-31-2013, 20:04
i'd like to see it at deep lake. being able to bike during the morning would be nice and maybe a night ride as well.

sr1355
07-31-2013, 20:38
I'll be posting official planning thread tomorrow...DEEP LAKE it is...

Wolverine
07-31-2013, 20:45
I'll be posting official planning thread tomorrow...DEEP LAKE it is...

Thanks Paul!

dieselbaron
08-02-2013, 20:12
Can't wait pumped to get some more knowledge and partake in some barley pop....maybe even bring some home-brew

sr1355
08-02-2013, 20:24
Be sure to check out official planning thread....

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77177