PDA

View Full Version : GSMNP - trip planning - suggestions?

TallPaul
07-22-2013, 23:52
Hi -
I'm looking for trip/trail suggestions for an upcoming backpacking trip in the Great Smoky Mountain National Park during August. I need to get my reservations in :eek:

I'm going with a friend from Kentucky, and we are trying to meet in the Big Creek Ranger station area (NE corner of the park).

We have 2 full days, then exit by noon on the 3rd day.

Here are the 3 options I'm considering (also seen in the video).

0:21 Option 1 – Mt. Cammerer & Mt. Sterling
1:48 Option 2 – Cosby to Low Gap to TriCorner Knob, then TriCorner Knob to Mt. Sterling
3:09 Option 3 – Newfound Gap to TriCorner Knob, then TriCorner Knob to Mt. Sterling

ayRBCI62og8

I'm leaning toward option 1 (Mt. Cammerer & Mt. Sterling - though the elevation gains worry me) or option 3 (Newfound Gap to Mt. Sterling, with a shuttle).

Any advice? Just tell me if I'm crazy or on the right track if you have any experience in the area.

TallPaul
07-23-2013, 20:02
Quick update.

I went to REI at lunch and got some trail books. One said a loop I was considering would be good for somebody training to be a Navy Seal. So I ratched back my mileage.

After consulting the little brown book, got the trip dialed in. Big Creek to CS37, then up to Mt Sterling CS38. The ranger said the Big Creek trail had just opened an hour of me calling.

Roche
07-23-2013, 20:36
The little brown book is your friend, providing elevation profiles and water sources. Enjoy your hike.

Ewker
07-23-2013, 22:44
Quick update.

I went to REI at lunch and got some trail books. One said a loop I was considering would be good for somebody training to be a Navy Seal. So I ratched back my mileage.

After consulting the little brown book, got the trip dialed in. Big Creek to CS37, then up to Mt Sterling CS38. The ranger said the Big Creek trail had just opened an hour of me calling.

I have done that route before in July and it got cold on Mt. Sterling. A storm moved in and the temps dropped into the 40's.
You will be going on Swallow Fork trail where we saw a huge rattlesnake laying right in the middle of the trail and I dang near stepped on him. No warning at all since he was relaxing after eating lunch. He wouldn't move so we went downhill through some briars to go around him.

MedicineMan
07-23-2013, 23:04
little brown book=also water crossings :)
In an effort to broaden our horizons we're headed to Panthertown Valley to backpack this weekend....
TallPaul, have you called the rangers yet about the Sterling area; just curious how much is still closed post tornado strike.

Woodsy
07-24-2013, 00:56
I love the Big Creek area of GSMNP. Do not be worried about elevation gain/losses in this area. You can cover a good amount of ground with little difficulty. 10+ mile days should not be an issue for most people. I took a heavier out of shape guy with me from Davenport Gap on the A.T. past Mt Cammerer, to Walnut Bottom campsite 37. He was ungodly slow but even he made it with daylight to spare in the month of December.

You can't go wrong with any route in this area but here are my 2 cents:

Mt Cammerer is more worth visiting than Mt Sterling but both are pretty cool. Yes, it is feasible to do a loop to see both lookouts on a 2 night backpacking trip.

The A.T is pretty nice looking in this area so it is worthwhile planning a trip that incorporates at least some sections of the A.T.

If you need to bail-out or need quick access into the forest, the Big Creek Trail is a very flat and easy trail to hike in/out of. I typically arrive at Big Creek ranger station late in the day and make the quick scamper to campsite 37 to start my backpacking trips.

TallPaul
07-24-2013, 07:29
I have done that route before in July and it got cold on Mt. Sterling. A storm moved in and the temps dropped into the 40's.
You will be going on Swallow Fork trail where we saw a huge rattlesnake laying right in the middle of the trail and I dang near stepped on him. No warning at all since he was relaxing after eating lunch. He wouldn't move so we went downhill through some briars to go around him.
I'll watch out for the cold temps & snakes :)

little brown book=also water crossings :)
In an effort to broaden our horizons we're headed to Panthertown Valley to backpack this weekend....
TallPaul, have you called the rangers yet about the Sterling area; just curious how much is still closed post tornado strike.
The website was still showing closed yesterday, but when I spoke to the ranger he said Big Creek trail had just opened up within the hour. It looks like they lifted the closure from the website now as well.

I love the Big Creek area of GSMNP. Do not be worried about elevation gain/losses in this area. You can cover a good amount of ground with little difficulty. 10+ mile days should not be an issue for most people. I took a heavier out of shape guy with me from Davenport Gap on the A.T. past Mt Cammerer, to Walnut Bottom campsite 37. He was ungodly slow but even he made it with daylight to spare in the month of December.

You can't go wrong with any route in this area but here are my 2 cents:

Mt Cammerer is more worth visiting than Mt Sterling but both are pretty cool. Yes, it is feasible to do a loop to see both lookouts on a 2 night backpacking trip.

The A.T is pretty nice looking in this area so it is worthwhile planning a trip that incorporates at least some sections of the A.T.

If you need to bail-out or need quick access into the forest, the Big Creek Trail is a very flat and easy trail to hike in/out of. I typically arrive at Big Creek ranger station late in the day and make the quick scamper to campsite 37 to start my backpacking trips.

Thanks for the suggestions Woodsy. I have a feeling I'll just be getting an appetizer of the area, and will want to come back for the main course later.

MrPopper
08-07-2013, 22:07
Im interested. When were you thinking about going?

TallPaul
08-13-2013, 00:32
Im interested. When were you thinking about going?

Just got back from the trip this past weekend. Great time other than it raining a bunch.

wisenber
08-13-2013, 07:40
Just got back from the trip this past weekend. Great time other than it raining a bunch.

It did dump rain up there pretty hard this past weekend. Hopefully the clouds didn't block all of your views.