PDA

View Full Version : Stock suspension and rain

Blue Caboose
03-15-2009, 06:57
Just got back from hiking from Springer to Neel gap in north GA. This was the first time out with my Speer set up. (hammock, snugfit, quilt) It was awesome, luxurious comfort every night and the weather was mild. Now I am home in south AL. and it is raining like it does down here, just loads of down pours all night. I was wodering if anyone has experience with the stock suspension straps with the Speer felt strips pinned on in heavy rain. Will they keep the hammock dry. I have had a problem in the past with with wicking into the hammock on another brand that I have.

Blue Caboose
03-27-2009, 07:47
Hung last night here in south Alabama. It couldn't have rained more, it just poured most of the night. Well the drip strips worked great. They are soaked and dripping steadily and the hammock is bone dry.

HappyCamper
03-27-2009, 07:53
Excellent!

headchange4u
03-27-2009, 08:07
The drip strings do work great. Adding ring buckles or cinch buckles to the suspension system will also stop water from making its way to the hammock.

Blue Caboose
03-27-2009, 23:33
Hey, I have seen the posts about amsteel and rings. Is it complicated to take off the stock strap and replace it with amsteel rope. I can see how to attach the rings but have been hesitant to mess with the hammock.

bob2guns
04-04-2009, 00:01
Hey, I have seen the posts about amsteel and rings. Is it complicated to take off the stock strap and replace it with amsteel rope. I can see how to attach the rings but have been hesitant to mess with the hammock.

i like spectra cord better than straps ( and half the bulk of straps ) i changed a Speer to Hennessy type non-slippery spectra. just do one end at a time - reverse engineering - it comes out real nice. i put the knot covers back on w/a cable tie around the outside. its some kind of double sheepbend?kinda knot, but doesn't matter-just hold the nylon the way it is and unthread the strap and put the cord thru the same way.

stevebo
05-26-2009, 13:25
I have a question, with the drip strips, instead of pinning them to the strap with a safty pin, what about sewing them? ( a very simple hand stitch) Has any one ever tried this? Is there ever a situation where you would have to take the strips off?

FarStar
08-14-2009, 15:21
stevebo,

I think sewing the drip strips on would make an excellent permanent solution.

The only reason I can think of wanting to take them off would be to dry them? They might dry slower than the rest of the hammock. If that's a concern, how about attaching them with velcro?

FarStar