PDA

View Full Version : Pad question

bama29
03-15-2009, 17:24
Im new to hammocking heres my ? i have HH how cold can i get down to with just a pad and sleeping bag and over cover?I have a 20,degree north face cats meow bag.:confused:

Raven-US
03-15-2009, 21:17
I've slept in my open ENO Singlenest down to ~25*F in a Wiggy's 20* bag plus a Walmart closed cell foam pad... no problems. With an over cover and the relatively sheltered space in the HH, you should be good for a bit cooler than that. (I do admit to being a warm sleeper, though.)

I've recently switched to a DIY underquilt... now THAT is the cat's meow, for sure! :D

bama29
03-15-2009, 21:28
thanks raven im gonna get a uq latter im headed to alabama the first of april and i know it can get cool at night there im headed to the pinhoti i help build some of it back in the 70,s plus i grew up really close to it thanks again {hang on }

Compass
03-15-2009, 21:49
What Pad?

I would give a range between 65* and 20* depending on the thickness and type of pad.

Compass
03-15-2009, 21:52
Youngblood wrote this article on pad effectiveness.
http://www.hammockcamping.com/Free%20Reports/DWombleFoamPads.htm

DeShazo
03-16-2009, 08:48
thanks raven im gonna get a uq latter im headed to alabama the first of april and i know it can get cool at night there im headed to the pinhoti i help build some of it back in the 70,s plus i grew up really close to it thanks again {hang on }
I am also new to hammocking. I will be trying out my Blackbird hammock in April on the Pinhoti. The pad I am thinking about using is coming from Ebay. I have heard this stuff is pretty good to use, I guess I will see.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=190259655964#ht_1332wt_943

Fiddleback
03-16-2009, 10:36
Im new to hammocking heres my ? i have HH how cold can i get down to with just a pad and sleeping bag and over cover?I have a 20,degree north face cats meow bag.:confused:

To paraphrase Smokey, "Only you can prevent nighttime shivers."

There are so many variables...the sleep system and its myriad components, the weather/climate conditions faced, the physical condition of the camper and the camper's own proclivity; hot or cold sleeper? Part of your answer can be found in backyard experiments but they still won't mimic trail conditions and you will still need to plan a safety margin.

Virtually all my hammock nights have been without a bag, quilt or other cover...I rely on cold weather clothing instead. But that works for me because of the climate/weather I face May-Oct. It certainly isn't the choice for most people and places. Given all that, my ¼" Oware pad (7oz) has kept me comfortable into the mid-20's. At 22° I felt cold coming through after 3-4 hours.

It is my opinion that adequate yet light and convenient under insulation is the limiting factor for keeping warm in a hammock.

FB