PDA

View Full Version : Thermarest trail light plus blue ccf review.

atison
03-16-2009, 08:52
Just a quick review of a test pad configuration for those considering options for pads like I am.

I slept out in the backyard last night down to the low 40's with socks, long underwear, t-shirt and light fleece in a 32 degree slumberjack (read as 40 at best).

I slept too warm. Never even cinched the hood up on my bag. Could have gone without the fleece and probably the long johns.

I took a blue ccf pad un-modified and folded it in half an put it horizontally under my torso with my thermarest blown up partially on top of it. I didn't have as much trouble adjusting or staying on this pad configuration as I anticipated. It was extremely warm too.

This configuration is not practical to pack in (both a full ccf and full thermarest), so I think I will cut the ccf in half and try the thermarest again, and then try my Pacific Outdoor Ether compact 6 mummy in place of the thermarest with the ccf.

Rushthezeppelin
03-16-2009, 17:40
The blue CCF alone should get you down to 40....I've only had both my blue pad and thermarest for nights when I think it would get below freezing.

lori
03-16-2009, 22:08
I got a somewhat less warm butt at 33F with the egg crate blue CCF from Walmart. Could have got up and pulled in the sit pad, but it wasn't THAT much of an issue. Just tucked the quilt in tighter and went back to sleep.

Narwhalin
03-16-2009, 22:17
I got a somewhat less warm butt at 33F with the egg crate blue CCF from Walmart. Could have got up and pulled in the sit pad, but it wasn't THAT much of an issue. Just tucked the quilt in tighter and went back to sleep.

I have never seen an egg crate blue CCF at walmart...does it really have an eggcrate pattern?

Mustardman
03-16-2009, 22:45
I absolutely hated the thermarest + CCF pad combination. Thermarest by itself was fine, CCF by itself was better, but the two combined was absolutely horrible - they were slippin and slidin all over the place and kept me awake all night.

Ewker
03-16-2009, 22:56
I absolutely hated the thermarest + CCF pad combination. Thermarest by itself was fine, CCF by itself was better, but the two combined was absolutely horrible - they were slippin and slidin all over the place and kept me awake all night.

it works better in an SPE

lori
03-16-2009, 23:00
I have never seen an egg crate blue CCF at walmart...does it really have an eggcrate pattern?

It's got dimples. I like it better than the cheap foam the blue pads at REI have, or the cheaper Walmart pads. I cut on it some because I'm not a zillion feet tall and trimmed off the corners a little so they wouldn't curl over on me in the Hennessy. Haven't used it yet in the Blackbird. Maybe they don't carry it any more... I got it in late 2007.

Take-a-knee
03-16-2009, 23:04
it works better in an SPE

It certainly does.

anewconvert
03-17-2009, 00:51
It's got dimples. I like it better than the cheap foam the blue pads at REI have, or the cheaper Walmart pads. I cut on it some because I'm not a zillion feet tall and trimmed off the corners a little so they wouldn't curl over on me in the Hennessy. Haven't used it yet in the Blackbird. Maybe they don't carry it any more... I got it in late 2007.

Got one as recently at 11/08. It was the only pad WW had in 25" width.

BC