PDA

View Full Version : Clearly, a cool tarp.

Cannibal
03-16-2009, 11:10
This was just for fun, but it turned-out kind of cool.

While paging thru the kite sites in search of that next new greatest thing ever (I tend to dream big:D) I found something called Norlam PX0.75 (http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/24_174/products_id/1101?osCsid=3236fc5b506e08d97fb3fae4a6e2297b). It is two layers of clear mylar with polyester scrim sandwiched in between. Well, that would be fun, I tell myself. Then I noticed the weight: "0.75oz"! Oh happy day I think. I should have learned my lesson about thinking a very long time ago, but not so much. I called the master gearmaker Brandon and told him of my find. He agreed to make me a tarp from it and here it be:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/3/5/img_2258.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=5204&c=7)

Here's Genuine Draft looking out:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/3/5/img_2250.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=5201&c=7)

This is Genuine Draft pouting because I won't let her set-up her BB yet:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/3/5/img_2249.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=5200&c=7)

From inside:

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/3/5/img_2256.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=5202&c=7)

Pretty cool, huh? OK, so here are the problems. First of all, this stuff makes Spinn sound quiet! Holy Hannah, this stuff is so not stealth in sound. Second, it does not exactly pack down small, or easy. It barely fits into a SuperFly stuff sack...barely! I worked-up quite the nice sweat trying to get it back into its home. Third, the master gear maker dropped a straight edge and reported that it went thru the tarp like butter. Good news here is clear packing tape is the ultimate patch. It took me about 5 minutes to find the repair; very hard to see. Fourth, and this one just plain made me mad, the .75 oz/yard...that refers to sailmaker's yards aparently. I think I remember Brandon telling me it works out to about 1.3oz/yard. :cursing:

I haven't thrown it on the scale yet, but it's a bit heavy. Still, I think it's a cool way to view the world from the hammock. I'm looking forward to taking it out on an overnight to see if it reflects all the moonlight and starlight. I was hoping for the ultimate stealth, we'll see.

Here it is in early evening. I'm concerned about the reflection.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/3/5/img_2257.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=5205&c=7)

stoikurt
03-16-2009, 11:15
Kinda hard to change clothes behind that.:D

headchange4u
03-16-2009, 11:16
That's AWESOME!

sir White Wolf
03-16-2009, 11:19
10 on the cool looking scale! :shades:
And yea I know how it sounds in the wind, a buddy had a bike cover made out of it and Wow was it loud :scared:

Cannibal
03-16-2009, 11:20
Kinda hard to change clothes behind that.:D
Yep, plan on putting Genuine Draft under this one when we go hiking. ;):D

That's AWESOME!
Thanks! Now to see if it lasts.

10 on the cool looking scale! :shades:
And yea I know how it sounds in the wind, a buddy had a bike cover made out of it and Wow was it loud :scared:
Oh, I was kind of hoping it would get less noisy as time passed, but apparently not.:(

moski
03-16-2009, 11:30
A cool, clear tarp. :)

Ekul
03-16-2009, 11:50
well you want miss a sunrise or a full moon night =P. neato none the less. Thanks for the details.

Coldspring
03-16-2009, 12:03
If you sealed in the ends, you could just grow your own fresh produce on a long distance trek.

Good thinking though, not being afraid to try new things is what advances the hobby.

Cannibal
03-16-2009, 12:07
Good thinking though, not being afraid to try new things is what advances the hobby.
If only I were so noble.
You kidding me? I just did it to be cool and to have a hope to say "I did it first :tongueup:". :lol:

froldt
03-16-2009, 13:23
You kidding me? I just did it to be cool and to have a hope to say "I did it first :tongueup:". :lol:

Coldspring didn't say that you did it for selfless reasons. ;) If it had worked out like you had hoped, who knows how many people would be watching the moon rise through their tarps fairly quickly. :cool:

Cannibal
03-16-2009, 13:27
Indeed, froldt!
I still have some high hopes for it. There is a little bit of a weight penalty and it is quite noisy, but for someone that wants to keep an eye on their kids this might still work nicely. You can't really see clearly thru it, but you can see shapes and movement very well. It also makes a good alarm clock; no way you're going to sleep thru sunrise.:D

KMACK
03-16-2009, 13:47
Cannabis...I mean Cannibal, what you gonna grow in that??

Looks cool!

Cannibal
03-16-2009, 13:53
Ummmmm, nothin osifer. :D
But, maybe there will be a market for this in California in the near future. That way they can guard their crops in style. :lol:

fin
03-16-2009, 14:48
I can't wait to read your report after the first downpour under this thing.:lol: No sleep that night!

10+ on the coolness scale for appearance.:cool:

TeeDee
03-16-2009, 15:49
...................... Fourth, and this one just plain made me mad, the .75 oz/yard...that refers to sailmaker's yards aparently. I think I remember Brandon telling me it works out to about 1.3oz/yard. :cursing:................

Yeah - I got caught on that one once also :(. I no longer buy from kite making sites.

Also, the stuff I got from a kite making site is a coated nylon and it is stiff and noisy also.

Regular 1.1 nylon ripstop is better for what I want. If I want waterproof, then 1.1 silnyl.

Kite makers want light, but they also seem to want very stiff. That doesn't work for hammocks.

Thankfully, the suppliers we frequent don't use the sailmakers yard. :D

canoebie
03-16-2009, 16:04
If you were to change clothes behind that Cannibal, we would be able to clearly see you're nuts!! HA!! This is family oriented. Note the contraction.

sir White Wolf
03-16-2009, 16:11
I bet it would double as an Awesome Canoe Sail! :D

JayS
03-16-2009, 16:33
Cool tarp and good attempt at something new. Kudos.

Didn't Ray Jardine start off with clear plastic drop cloths for tarps? Or maybe it was Colin Fletcher ("The Complete Walker" author).

clearskyblue
03-16-2009, 16:34
Thats a fine looking tarp Cannibal.I bet the night sky will look so sweet under there.:)If it does not quite work out the way you want you could always make a dress out of it:laugh:perhaps some pyjamas:lol:Whats its insulation properties like?:DNaa seriously its nice.

Oh-No
03-16-2009, 16:45
Just some trivia:

The Norlam construction is very similar to Cuben Fiber Corporation's Sail Cloth.

Norlam is made by North Sails which bought the Cuben Fiber Corp. in O7.
So it seems that North Sails is using some Cuben Technology to develop
some new products.

HitchHiking
03-16-2009, 21:38
Looks good, Im sure it will create a great atmosphere for ya and wont have that all cramped under a trap feeling,
good on ya.

riverkeeper
03-17-2009, 15:17
Ran into a hi mileage guy in the middle of the Olympics last year who had made a tarp with something that was sailing related and ~0.75oz/yd. He planned to experiment with it. He made every thing he used (almost) .. he was using a tiny WB bivy-tent with no tarp at the time.

Couldn't get him away from the hammocks ... a gear-head engineer.

Thanks for the info ... push the limit.

d-p
05-08-2009, 06:50
OK Hangers,
First, I LOVE the piter-pater of rain, so ... I bought some of this fabric.
I need your help assembling my cat-cut tarp.
Should I tape it together or sew it for strength?
Tank you Tank you in advance for your help ...
dp

Cannibal
05-08-2009, 08:26
Tape it!
When Brandon tried to stitch some scrap pieces, they pulled apart without too much force. I've had this tarp set a few times now and it seems to be holding up pretty good. Real PITA to put back into a stuff sack because it's pretty stiff, but even that seems to be getting a little better.

Ewker
05-08-2009, 08:41
I know people have made tarps out of tyvek but any idea how they will hold up?

Cannibal
05-08-2009, 08:53
I don't know, but if you use the C3 (?) tape that Brandon uses I can just about promise you it won't be the seams that fail if it fails. That stuff is crazy kinds of strong.

fin
05-08-2009, 13:30
I don't know, but if you use the C3 (?) tape that Brandon uses I can just about promise you it won't be the seams that fail if it fails. That stuff is crazy kinds of strong.

And C3 was purposely designed for repairs to sailing fabrics, so you are using it on fabric it was designed for.

RTR
05-08-2009, 15:42
Hey Cannibal or anyone really....Have you bought any other fabric from these folks. In one of the posts someone was saying that the fabric from here is different from say the fabric from Quest or other fabric sites. I only ask because I was about to post a link to this site to everyone here due to the prices they have for their Rip Stop. Recently got into flying some big kites and was looking at sewing my own due to my DIY bug, but figured I could save some on a few hammocks I have in mind using this stuff rather than Quest... Just a question. I know my kite ripstop is stiffer/ louder than what I used for my current DIY hammock.

Gordzilla
05-08-2009, 15:58
It would be cool to add windows or sky lights onto a regular tarp with that stuff.

Cannibal
05-08-2009, 16:36
Hey Cannibal or anyone really....Have you bought any other fabric from these folks. In one of the posts someone was saying that the fabric from here is different from say the fabric from Quest or other fabric sites. I only ask because I was about to post a link to this site to everyone here due to the prices they have for their Rip Stop. Recently got into flying some big kites and was looking at sewing my own due to my DIY bug, but figured I could save some on a few hammocks I have in mind using this stuff rather than Quest... Just a question. I know my kite ripstop is stiffer/ louder than what I used for my current DIY hammock.
I believe it was TeeDee in the first page of this thread that said the fabric received from the kite shops was usually stiff. This is the only thing I've ordered from a kite site, so I can't say for sure if all their stuff is similar. But, I've learned to trust TeeDee about this stuff.

It would be cool to add windows or sky lights onto a regular tarp with that stuff.
Kind of what I'm thinking about these days. :shades:

utilisateur
05-08-2009, 19:59
I believe it was TeeDee in the first page of this thread that said the fabric received from the kite shops was usually stiff. This is the only thing I've ordered from a kite site, so I can't say for sure if all their stuff is similar. But, I've learned to trust TeeDee about this stuff.

Many sailfabrics have a hard(er) finish so it is less stretchy, there are different finishes though with varying stiffness ,
so you have to check what it is or rather find out for yourself as i think it's difficult to get an impression of the finish unless you have it in your hands

BTW , some Poly Spinnaker from Contender will be on the way to me next week:D

d-p
05-09-2009, 11:58
CanAbull,

Mucho Thanko for suggesting I tape the 75 mylar. I too was disappointed when I weighed my 5 yard roll from KiteBuilder. 5 yds=15oz Yikes, I've a WalMart SilNylon material tarp that only weighs 16oz With the lines and 6 stakes. Needless to say I'm disappointed. I thought I was headed for the ''Cuben'' gardens ...

C3 tape? Where does one find the best deal? As I've not heard of it.

And, has any one DIY Tarp with TriSpi 25? Web says .6oz, and I'm sure that's Sail Maker weight also. So it must weigh just under an ounce a yard? Not sure these "loud speaker" fabrics are worth the effort of time and money?

And may I suggest to those of you who are not sewing yet, I've made nearly everything I backpack with now and I"ve only been sewing about a year. Had a buddy show me how to make a straight stitch which is about all you need to know. hey, it's really easy.

I"m sewing with a Kenmore 385, less than $300 and belive me, it will sew anything a backpacker wants. Even yo' pack. My very talented daughter saw the 385 and she immediately wanted it. Said it sews like "butter" compared to her antique.

FYI: I've a 1 3/4 pound, 3,500 cu in "bamboo" external frame pack that is the most comfortable pack I've ever used. (Waist belt is LuxuryLite and straps are off an el'cheapo no name that I liked)

AND, while I'm at it ... I made "bamboo" fishing pole hiking poles that are lighter than carbon fiber commercial ones. One is 3oz and the other is 3 1/2. So much for "natural" fibers ............
Gott'a go
dplant

d-p
05-14-2009, 07:33
PX 75 Tarp update

I have the 5 yards joined at the hip with cat cuts cut. (weight is now 14 1/2 oz weighed on a Good Cook, electronic scale. WalMart about $30) I'm ready to start installing the tie-outs and then applying the edge trim.

Opinion? this should be loudspeaker cone material, but since I love the pitter-pat of rain, it should be an interesting tarp. (9 1/4 x 7 1/2 feet)

And yes, the fabric is so stiff, I'm thinking I am going to fold and roll it rather than stuff it in my pack. Lord knows, attempting to stuff it creates quite a ball.

And my main reason for updating is ... the more I work with this material the more it reminds me of a "blue" tarp. I'm now thinking one could purchase a bit larger than wanted blue tarp, trim it to desired size and design without the brass grommets and heavy edging seams. Probably end up a similar weight to the PX75. In fact, I may try said next. I'm thinking a Blue material, custom tarp will cost about $10. That's a LONG way from the $55 + $12 postage I paid at Kite Builder.

All of the above FYI ...

And I must apolgize to Cannibal for my attempt at humor with the spelling of his handle last email. It's just that I'm one who likes to tease and enjoy mental sparing.:rolleyes:

later 'cause I'm heading to the Hoosier National Forest for 3 daze wth about 6-7 Hoosier Hangers.
dplant :shades:

Cannibal
05-14-2009, 07:41
And I must apolgize to Cannibal for my attempt at humor with the spelling of his handle last email. It's just that I'm one who likes to tease and enjoy mental sparing.:rolleyes:
No apology necessary. You're going to have to try much harder to offend me. :D

d-p
05-18-2009, 06:20
It's Dunnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

hey, what's all the flap about PX75 being noisy? Those CuteCatCuts do the job, IMHO

I am anticipating a driving rainstorm tho. PityPats? Ha I bet PX75 will amplifiy them 10 fold over silnylon. Mmmmmmmm

PX75 is a BEAR tho to pack. I'm going to roll it up and stash on the OUTSIDE of me pack. (PacCover?) I cannot see the value of stuffing this stuff. And thinking of how "un-stuffable" it is. I'd love a report on Cuben's stuffability. Hate to plunk down the $25 a yard and not like it.

My PX75 specs ... 5 yds made it 9 1/4 x 7 1/2 feet, just right for my 6' Bridge mock. I'm 6' and like my feet to hang out of the mock. NO heel pressure. Better than me bed at me cottage. Creative pitching allows a cabana or pretty closed up even for driving rain.

I'm happy with everything but the weight. 498 grams. About 100 grams heavier than I wanted. In the future, I'll always consider "sail makers" weight/yards.

Now, if I could just find my camera .................. I haven't seen it for a long time. You know the dang things are getting so small, they are easily misplaced.

Plus, I'm not sure how to post pix on the site. Got instructions? anyBODY?

I'll chek back in after the first storm with my new LoudspeakerGreenhouse.

ttfn
dp

Rapt
05-22-2009, 15:52
Yep cool stuff. and this is stuff is way stiffer than most of the more "normal" woven sailing fabrics.

I have a roll I've been meaning to try out. But I'm really leaning towards the regular spinnaker fabrics with the coatings to make them impermeable. Very popular in sail and kite making land... 0.49oz/sailmakers yard... So about the same weight as heavier sil but cheaper.

NorseAmerican
05-22-2009, 16:30
Looks like hi-tech sail cloth. That stuff is used on go fast racing sail boats. Noisy as jiffy pop I imagine in a rain storm:D