PDA

View Full Version : Converted my NX-200 to a structural ridgeline

RAW
03-16-2009, 20:03
I finally got the SMC rappel rings and 3mm Amsteel blue.
I just sat down and tied it all on.

I came up with the lengths by setting up the hammock with my normal cinch buckle setup. Then I ran a completely separate ridgeline that held up the netting. From there, I measured from the ends of the hammock, along the straps to where the separate ridgeline intersected.

http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/493514908_7mqHf-L-1.jpg
http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/493515573_kPLqP-M.jpg
http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/493514380_Zp4LA-M.jpg

Here's my wife laying in it:
http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/493513251_GpuT2-M.jpg

I tied some shock-cord into a loop with a prussik on the ridgeline to hold up the netting
http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/493516208_9oePb-M.jpg

cavediver2
03-16-2009, 20:23
pretty slick job you did

Grillmastertoo
03-16-2009, 20:48
hey RAW--
I ahve a nx 200 and after hanging out this past weekend, i noticed several of the guys use a ring/buckle type suspension....None of them had a clark though....would you mind sharing how you converted to a ring buckle suspension....also, the ridgeline idea looks awesome.....i need to try that out too...
thanks

RAW
03-16-2009, 21:47
Added pics to first post.

RAW
03-17-2009, 16:26
And here's a pic of me in it:
http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/493518047_KmY2f-L.jpg

I'll have to go back and trim some of the tail ends later. But I'm leaving them for now in case I want to change the ridgeline length a little.

photomankc
03-17-2009, 17:34
Nicely done.

Grillmastertoo
03-17-2009, 17:35
great looking set up....i have noticed alot of folks use webbing or straping to run throug their gathered end on the hammock....What advantage or disadvantage is there to using the the rope that you did?
Thanks

hangnout
03-17-2009, 17:44
Looks good, I like the ridgeline on the Clark. What tarp are you using?

stretch
03-17-2009, 17:56
Very clean looking, nice work.

gRaFFiX
03-17-2009, 18:01
I'm curious how hard it was for you to convert it to rings, and where you got the hardwear. Also I see that senior members tend to prefer the ring setup as opposed to a carabiner and strap system. Is this more secure, faster setup, or easier to take down?

RAW
03-17-2009, 18:09
great looking set up....i have noticed alot of folks use webbing or straping to run throug their gathered end on the hammock....What advantage or disadvantage is there to using the the rope that you did?
Thanks

I'm not sure that there's any advantage of running rope through the channel versus webbing.

But for adding a structural ridgeline, I think it works out better with the rope tied to the ring buckles. Doing ringbuckles with straps through the channel would be awkward, I'd think.

I would imagine that you've seen people use webbing that was tied AROUND a gathered-end hammock . . . not through channel. But maybe I'm wrong.

RAW
03-17-2009, 18:10
Looks good, I like the ridgeline on the Clark. What tarp are you using?

I use the Clark XL camo sometimes. And I use a custom 10x12 from OES.

RAW
03-17-2009, 18:12
I'm curious how hard it was for you to convert it to rings, and where you got the hardwear. Also I see that senior members tend to prefer the ring setup as opposed to a carabiner and strap system. Is this more secure, faster setup, or easier to take down?

carabiner and straps with cinch-buckles is fine. That's what I had before this setup. But for adding the structural ridgeline to the Clark . . . this seemed like the tidiest, most convenient way to achieve it.

Both of these methods are much easier to make adjustments to than the stock Clark rope and tree hugger setup, IMO.

I bought the SMC rings from backcountrygear (http://www.backcountrygear.com/)
And the green Amsteel blue line came from APS. (http://www.apsltd.com/)
The rest was just a matter of knowing some knots.

RAW
03-17-2009, 20:13
Hangnout, have you had any issues with your ridgeline?
Still enjoying it?

hangnout
03-17-2009, 20:26
Hangnout, have you had any issues with your ridgeline?
Still enjoying it?

I have not had any issues with the ridgeline. I use it to attach my UQ's to because I can get the exact angle of pull I want. I put one on my daughter's Claytor mosquito hammock also.

headchange4u
03-18-2009, 08:15
Looks great RAW. That Amsteel Blue looks good with the hammock.

RAW
03-18-2009, 08:25
Looks great RAW. That Amsteel Blue looks good with the hammock.

Amsteel Blue in Green. :confused::lol:

Three
03-18-2009, 08:41
Raw -- Looks very cool. This is the first structural ridge line I've seen used on a Clark. What's the reason you did this?
Chris

RAW
03-18-2009, 11:54
Raw -- Looks very cool. This is the first structural ridge line I've seen used on a Clark. What's the reason you did this?
Chris

I liked the idea of an easily repeatable sag, with no fuss.
Also, doing it my way, there aren't extra lines to tie out for the netting.

Hangnout has had his Clark with a ridgeline for quite some time. I'm sure there are others.
I just document everything for the world to see. ;)

cavediver2
03-18-2009, 20:31
I liked the idea of an easily repeatable sag, with no fuss.
Also, doing it my way, there aren't extra lines to tie out for the netting.

Hangnout has had his Clark with a ridgeline for quite some time. I'm sure there are others.
I just document everything for the world to see. ;)

many others have done it but marta and Hangout are probably the first that I know of anyhow.

gRaFFiX
03-23-2009, 00:28
carabiner and straps with cinch-buckles is fine. That's what I had before this setup. But for adding the structural ridgeline to the Clark . . . this seemed like the tidiest, most convenient way to achieve it.

Both of these methods are much easier to make adjustments to than the stock Clark rope and tree hugger setup, IMO.

I bought the SMC rings from backcountrygear (http://www.backcountrygear.com/)
And the green Amsteel blue line came from APS. (http://www.apsltd.com/)
The rest was just a matter of knowing some knots.

Thanx for the info raw, I'll be looking into this style of conversion. One question tho, What is the length of the rope you purchased? I cannot find the length on their website, only a quantity.

RAW
03-23-2009, 07:02
Thanx for the info raw, I'll be looking into this style of conversion. One question tho, What is the length of the rope you purchased? I cannot find the length on their website, only a quantity.

I bought 40 ft. And that covered my suspension ropes, my ridge line, a second ridgeline for my wife's ENO, and about 5-6ft. extra.
APS sells by the foot, so when you enter quantity . . . you're entering length in feet.

gRaFFiX
03-23-2009, 22:51
Perfect... that helps alot. Thanx so much again

keys?
04-20-2009, 15:09
I need something like this. I fear the NA is going to suffocate me in my sleep:scared:

Maybe I'm doing something wrong... definitely wouldnt be a first:rolleyes:

SmokeHouse
04-20-2009, 15:38
very nice...

RAW
04-20-2009, 18:23
I need something like this. I fear the NA is going to suffocate me in my sleep:scared:

Sounds like your setup needs some tweaking! :D You'll get the hang of it.

TinaLouise
04-21-2009, 09:09
I need something like this. I fear the NA is going to suffocate me in my sleep

my first "out in the big woods" camping trip, I woke up with the netting/weathershield more or less laying on me. As I camp more and set it up more, the netting is looking better and better. Last weekend's trip, I woke up (slept from 10:30pm - 7am) and the netting was where it was supposed to be!!!! My clark is still in it's "original" form though I have taken the tarp off of it.

cavediver2
04-21-2009, 09:52

don't feel that way you will get the hang of it very soon one thing I look at when tying the tarp up is when i set down in the hammock what are the bungee doing. after I have sat down in the hammock I grab the hammock where the bungee are and pull if i have about 2-3 inches of stretch to them I feel like that is a good hang. Once you have done this a dozen times or so you will be able to just look at it and a tree and figure out just how high each piece needs to be. Tying out the tarp can be just important as the hammock as far as height goes. Make sure each end of the tarp is pulled tight because if it is loose it will allow the hammock to fall in on itself or you. If your hammock is setting at the right level under tarp when you lay down you should still have some slack in the bungee's. if it is setup to loosely it will allow it to collapse into the hammock and you.

If you have some trees or a close line pole and a tree which is what I use try to set up at home. But of course if you don't then it's just a reason to get out of house and enjoy the outofdoors.

I also think that before one should start doing mod's to there equipment that it should first be done the way it was designed and get that right. Once that is accomplished then you could start making mod's to it. I teach TECHNICAL DIVING and that is just how I train divers. Mod's are and some times a great thing and some times our Mod's make the equipment even better but one should know who it's suppose to work before you start changing things around.

I am sure I am going to get some backlash on that statement but if the manufacture of said product didn't design the hammock the way it was suppose to be then all the R/D would be just a waste of time.

just my 2cents worth.

Don't give up the game just yet.

keys?
04-21-2009, 14:10
my first "out in the big woods" camping trip, I woke up with the netting/weathershield more or less laying on me. As I camp more and set it up more, the netting is looking better and better. Last weekend's trip, I woke up (slept from 10:30pm - 7am) and the netting was where it was supposed to be!!!! My clark is still in it's "original" form though I have taken the tarp off of it.

lol! That's encouraging.
I hung again last night and it was much more comfortable. Low was 37 and windy. I used my thermarest this time, and I actually think I prefer the thermarest to nothing...go figure. I thought I would be wrestling with it all night and I wasnt.

But yeah not to get off the subject I need some sort of ridgeline...

keys?
04-21-2009, 14:22
don't feel that way you will get the hang of it very soon one thing I look at when tying the tarp up is when i set down in the hammock what are the bungee doing. after I have sat down in the hammock I grab the hammock where the bungee are and pull if i have about 2-3 inches of stretch to them I feel like that is a good hang. Once you have done this a dozen times or so you will be able to just look at it and a tree and figure out just how high each piece needs to be. Tying out the tarp can be just important as the hammock as far as height goes. Make sure each end of the tarp is pulled tight because if it is loose it will allow the hammock to fall in on itself or you. If your hammock is setting at the right level under tarp when you lay down you should still have some slack in the bungee's. if it is setup to loosely it will allow it to collapse into the hammock and you.

If you have some trees or a close line pole and a tree which is what I use try to set up at home. But of course if you don't then it's just a reason to get out of house and enjoy the outofdoors.

I also think that before one should start doing mod's to there equipment that it should first be done the way it was designed and get that right. Once that is accomplished then you could start making mod's to it. I teach TECHNICAL DIVING and that is just how I train divers. Mod's are and some times a great thing and some times our Mod's make the equipment even better but one should know who it's suppose to work before you start changing things around.

I am sure I am going to get some backlash on that statement but if the manufacture of said product didn't design the hammock the way it was suppose to be then all the R/D would be just a waste of time.

just my 2cents worth.

Thanks for the advice. I will pay particular attention to the bungees this weekend when I set it up again. I'm definitely not going back to the ground. Just gotta find out what works for me. I'm definitely going to keep the manuf. rope.... There's soooo many good ideas on this forum that it's tempting to try them:D

keys?
04-21-2009, 14:30
Sounds like your setup needs some tweaking! :D You'll get the hang of it.

No, I just need a RAW :boggle:

What are you doing next year? You could come with me on the AT and tie all my knots and do the tweaking and such on my hammock. That's what I need! A hammock *****! :lol:

Just kidding of course...I'm sure your wife would miss you! Sometimes I can be so evil!

keys?
04-21-2009, 14:34
Whoops! Didnt think that word would show up...Sorry!

cavediver2
04-21-2009, 15:05
Thanks for the advice. I will pay particular attention to the bungees this weekend when I set it up again. I'm definitely not going back to the ground. Just gotta find out what works for me. I'm definitely going to keep the manuf. rope.... There's soooo many good ideas on this forum that it's tempting to try them:D

The ropes that hold the hammock up is the only thing I have changed and it was a blessing.

RAW
04-21-2009, 17:13

just my 2cents worth.

I agree that it's not a good idea to mod until one gets used to the existing setup. Then you can slowly start to play with things to find what works for you.

And that's where I think the thing about manufacturer R&D comes in: Stuff is always designed to work for the average user; it may not be what works perfectly for the individual.

And that's why you'll see nearly as many different ways of doing this stuff as there are users on this forum.:D

I think all of the answers are right. It just depends on who's asking. :cool:

cavediver2
04-21-2009, 18:07
I agree that it's not a good idea to mod until one gets used to the existing setup. Then you can slowly start to play with things to find what works for you.

And that's where I think the thing about manufacturer R&D comes in: Stuff is always designed to work for the average user; it may not be what works perfectly for the individual.

And that's why you'll see nearly as many different ways of doing this stuff as there are users on this forum.:D

I think all of the answers are right. It just depends on who's asking. :cool:

well said RAW

keys?
04-21-2009, 23:47
The ropes that hold the hammock up is the only thing I have changed and it was a blessing.

I thought Clark rope was supposed to be superb utmost waterproof. Why did you change it up?

cavediver2
04-22-2009, 10:05
I thought Clark rope was supposed to be superb utmost waterproof. Why did you change it up?

They are indeed that but with the ring and webbing setup it makes for setting up easier. just rap around tree thread it through the rings like a motorcycle helmet strap put a slippery halfhitch in it and it's done go to the other end do same thing pull the strap through until you get the height you want and put another slippery halfhitch and your done.

Makes those little adjustments super easy.....Thats all

oh and I put tarp shock absorbers on the four corners.
to take the stress off the tarp and to cut down on flapping
noise in the wind.

Lyndon
04-22-2009, 17:01
Sorry guys, I have been so busy teaching school, that I had to focus on that.
I ordered both the webbing and the rope, and am about to go to REI for those SMC rappel rings. Black Diamond wanted $10 each, and they were serious overkill for this purpose.
But I thought that RAW or somebody said I either use the rope, or the web straps, but not both. But it sure looks like RAW is using both in his photo page.
I will probably take my Clark down to Moab this weekend, but my buddy will have short patience with that. We head down in his Jeep Wrangler, and will pitch in the dark Friday night, and will mountain bike all Saturday, then have dinner in Moab, and grab a brew, while looking at the Classic Car Round Up going on. Then it is back to the campsite, and an early bike trip to Gemini Towers or the Klondike and drive the 6 hours home.
The tallest thing around those parts is Juniper trees, which don't seem to offer much of a point to hang a hammock. But I am betting you guys could hang it even with only sagebrush.
Lyndon
Salt Lake City, where we finally jumped from 2 feet of snow in the mountains last week to 80 degrees. What happened to Spring????:confused:

RAW
04-22-2009, 18:09
But I thought that RAW or somebody said I either use the rope, or the web straps, but not both. But it sure looks like RAW is using both in his photo page.

On my setup, I use rope for the hammock to rings and for the ridgeline.
Rings to trees is strap.

keys?
04-23-2009, 14:00
They are indeed that but with the ring and webbing setup it makes for setting up easier. just rap around tree thread it through the rings like a motorcycle helmet strap put a slippery halfhitch in it and it's done go to the other end do same thing pull the strap through until you get the height you want and put another slippery halfhitch and your done.

Makes those little adjustments super easy.....Thats all

oh and I put tarp shock absorbers on the four corners.
to take the stress off the tarp and to cut down on flapping
noise in the wind.

Ah I see. It's like a cinch buckle? That would be easy. I'm using a carabiner and just wrap more of the line around it to adjust the sag. It kind of looks like a tangled mess. Forgive me for being so ignorant. Tis all new to me.

So do you still use the drip ring? Have you had any problems staying dry with the new rope?

Tarp shock absorbers...what a clever idea.

cavediver2
04-23-2009, 18:09
Ah I see. It's like a cinch buckle? That would be easy. I'm using a carabiner and just wrap more of the line around it to adjust the sag. It kind of looks like a tangled mess. Forgive me for being so ignorant. Tis all new to me.

So do you still use the drip ring? Have you had any problems staying dry with the new rope?

Tarp shock absorbers...what a clever idea.

no I do not use drip ring and I have not had any problem with the drip's LOL

got the idea from justjeffs site. works great.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=2082&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=826&cutoffdate=-1

sir_n0thing
09-07-2009, 20:36
Sorry to resurrect an old thread... but... after a solid weekend of using the NX200 I've decided the stock suspension could be improved upon. I'm really intrigued on what I've seen in this thread, so I ordered 100' of Amsteel Blue and 30' of strapworks polypro webbing. Still looking for the best source of SMC rings. Sure wish I could have gotten everything from one source, shipping is killing me with the rope, webbing and rings coming from three different vendors. :P But, I figured the Amsteel and webbing could come in handy for something, even if not my originally intended purpose.

Anyway, are you still using this suspension, RAW?

n0thing

RAW
09-07-2009, 20:59
Yep. I love it.
It works really well for me.
I've adjusted the lengths of the ridgeline and the end-connections a couple of times to get it just right.
So, make sure that you keep some extra Amsteel in there for that.
Don't cut off the tail ends until you've fiddled with the setup a little.

Good luck!

sir_n0thing
09-07-2009, 21:15
By the way, thanks a ton for selling me this thing... I'm loving it so far! Can't believe I used to think my tent was so awesome.
Tent? What tent? ;)

twinkletoes
09-07-2009, 21:51
Can I ask why you have a clark?

RAW
09-07-2009, 23:20
By the way, thanks a ton for selling me this thing... I'm loving it so far! Can't believe I used to think my tent was so awesome.
Tent? What tent? ;)

I'm glad you're liking it.

I feel the same way about my conversion to hammock camping. Why didn't I see the light sooner!?

Kankujoe
09-08-2009, 00:15
Can I ask why you have a clark?

Because they make some great hammocks... there are several threads in the Clark subforum that talk about Clarks... what you read in those threads may answer your questions... if not ask specifics & you'll probably get some good answers...

sir_n0thing
09-12-2009, 18:22
Yep. I love it.
It works really well for me.
I've adjusted the lengths of the ridgeline and the end-connections a couple of times to get it just right.
So, make sure that you keep some extra Amsteel in there for that.
Don't cut off the tail ends until you've fiddled with the setup a little.

Good luck!

Just out of curiosity, what dimensions did you end up with? Length from hammock to rings and length of ridgeline?

I got 100' of Amsteel Blue and 30' of Strapworks stuff. Just waiting on the SMC rings to arrive (darn you FedEx!!!) and I'll be ready to convert. I've got it hanging in my homemade stand out on the back deck right now so I can get some initial measurements. Been fiddling all evening trying to get that perfect hang going.

RAW
09-14-2009, 17:31
Just out of curiosity, what dimensions did you end up with? Length from hammock to rings and length of ridgeline?

I'm headed up to NC tomorrow, and I'll be hanging.
Probably in my BB, but I'll try to remember the Clark so I can take those measurements.

sir_n0thing
09-14-2009, 19:12
I'm headed up to NC tomorrow, and I'll be hanging.
Probably in my BB, but I'll try to remember the Clark so I can take those measurements.

Thanks a bunch, but don't go out of your way over it... I was mostly just curious. I was playing with set-up over the weekend and taking some measurements. Good thing I got 100' of the Amsteel, I have a feeling I'll be playing with this a bit before I get it set just right.

:cool:

sir_n0thing
09-19-2009, 21:50
Got the Amsteel and SMC rings installed today. Did a test hang in the yard, added the ridgeline and played around some more. So far it's looking good! I left in a couple feet of extra line on the ridgeline so I have room to dial it in a bit better. I'll put up some pics tomorrow, but basically it looks just about like RAW's setup.

Grillmastertoo
10-20-2009, 22:39
Hey sir Nothing---How is your set up? did you finially get it dialed in? I will be working on mine this weekend...i already have the rings and straps, but want the ridgeline to keep the netting up...What length rope did you end up with for the ridgeline and did you use a prussic knot like raw did?
Thanks

RAW
10-20-2009, 22:52
I posted somewhere else about this too, but . . .

I adjusted my setup so that the ridgeline runs straight through the plastic d-rings. I got rid of the shock-cord . . . just made sure to leave plenty of slack in the netting to allow for movement when I put my weight in the hammock.

Grillmastertoo
10-21-2009, 06:19
Raw--
Thanks for sharing...i have fought with my clark set up for over a year now and i think i am on the right track now....does anyone run a ridgeline no the inside of the bug netting?

TinaLouise
10-21-2009, 07:11
I've run a cord inside my bug netting for hanging my fan in the summer time and for socks, my flashlight and stuff at night. Tied the cord to those two loops that are already there (bowline knot on one side, tautline hitch on the other side) And used that type of cord that lights up when you shine your lite on it.

sir_n0thing
10-21-2009, 17:37
I've run a cord inside my bug netting for hanging my fan in the summer time and for socks, my flashlight and stuff at night. Tied the cord to those two loops that are already there (bowline knot on one side, tautline hitch on the other side) And used that type of cord that lights up when you shine your lite on it.

Same here. Ran some paracord between the two loops. Gives me a place to hang my Orbit, iPod sling, wet socks, glasses, whatever.

My ridgeline length is 132" between the two sets of SMC rings. I don't know off hand the lengths on the suspension lines from hammock to rings... I made some field adjustments on the last night of the Northern Hang, and all I know is the triangulation I ended up with was super comfy!

And yes, currently I have shock cord/prussik knots from the netting to the ridgeline.

nsdemon
02-03-2011, 17:01
I finally got the SMC rappel rings and 3mm Amsteel blue.
I just sat down and tied it all on.

I came up with the lengths by setting up the hammock with my normal cinch buckle setup. Then I ran a completely separate ridgeline that held up the netting. From there, I measured from the ends of the hammock, along the straps to where the separate ridgeline intersected.

http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/493514908_7mqHf-L-1.jpg
http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/493515573_kPLqP-M.jpg
http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/493514380_Zp4LA-M.jpg

Here's my wife laying in it:
http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/493513251_GpuT2-M.jpg

I tied some shock-cord into a loop with a prussik on the ridgeline to hold up the netting
http://steelgod.smugmug.com/photos/493516208_9oePb-M.jpg

where did you get the SMC rappel rings and 3mm Amsteel blue from?

bigbamaguy
02-03-2011, 17:11
You can get all the supplies you need for this at Arrowhead Equipment. He has rings that are not SMC but have held me off the ground and I am at 300lbs. He also has amsteel for sale and the webbing needed for the straps.

Lorax
02-21-2011, 07:45
Interesting thread. I've been messing around with my NX-200 and have quite a few nights in it now, including two 10+ day trips.
A problem I see with my hang is the netting issue no matter how I adjust it. I can see right now that I have to come up with a ridgeline fix.

Thanks for posting this info.

gvdocholiday
02-26-2011, 20:00
This is my first post. I've been researching hammocks online reading more reviews and watching more descriptions on youtube than I care to admit. I thought I was set on getting the Hennessy with shelter system....However this thread has pushed me to the Clark.

I found a good NA Camo on Craigslist and just sent payment. It's currently set up with whoopie slings and treestraps.

The primary reason I had wrote off Clark happened to be because of the fact there was no structural ridgeline.

I plan on installing the drip rings between the smc's and hammock as well, just incase my ridgeline length leaves the smc's outside the tarps coverage. I have no desire to get wet.

Thanks once again for this very informative thread. I trust my Clark will last me many years of weather proof slumber!!

RAW
02-26-2011, 21:53
Thanks once again for this very informative thread. I trust my Clark will last me many years of weather proof slumber!!

Glad it helped you out.
Enjoy the Clark!! :D

Lorax
02-27-2011, 18:02
I'd like to know how the XL fly is working for you on that rig. I copied what you did today and I'm very impressed with the results. I will wait to get outside and play with the hang better to determine my ridgeline length.

Lorax
03-20-2011, 09:05
I'd like to know how the XL fly is working for you on that rig. I copied what you did today and I'm very impressed with the results. I will wait to get outside and play with the hang better to determine my ridgeline length.

*UPDATE*
I completed the mod but ran the ridgeline through the rings that attach to the tarp. I also added a ring in the middle of the mesh portion so the top is supported in three places on the ridgeline. Between these little things I did, it really opens up that mesh and I'm overall happier with the hammock now.

RAW
03-20-2011, 14:58
*UPDATE*
I completed the mod but ran the ridgeline through the rings that attach to the tarp. I also added a ring in the middle of the mesh portion so the top is supported in three places on the ridgeline. Between these little things I did, it really opens up that mesh and I'm overall happier with the hammock now.

That doesn't put the tarp too close to the netting for your taste?

Lorax
03-20-2011, 16:59
As far as I can figure out, the tarp attaches the exact same way it did before. I don't see it as a problem even though the netting rides higher in the set up now. The two contact points for the fly never changed, just the height of the ridgeline. The good thing is, if it does not work well, I can re-string the line above the rings and use drop down loops.

hangnout
03-20-2011, 17:12
As far as I can figure out, the tarp attaches the exact same way it did before. I don't see it as a problem even though the netting rides higher in the set up now. The two contact points for the fly never changed, just the height of the ridgeline. The good thing is, if it does not work well, I can re-string the line above the rings and use drop down loops.

There really is no need to attach the tarp to the netting when using the ridgeline. Just use it like a regular tarp. I ran my ridgeline thru the D-rings on netting also but still used a piece of shockcord attached to one Dring to keep netting from sagging.

Lorax
03-20-2011, 18:30
There really is no need to attach the tarp to the netting when using the ridgeline. Just use it like a regular tarp. I ran my ridgeline thru the D-rings on netting also but still used a piece of shockcord attached to one Dring to keep netting from sagging.

I had thought about that, but then looked at the length of the front shock cord, the gap between the mesh/ridgeline on the foot end and attached the fly as normal. It looked like it had good clearance.
I thought I'd try it this way before finding myself not able to get the fly lines up high enough when using the hammock backpacking.

The beautiful thing about this set up is that there are many options and if something doesn't work right, it's easy to modify or change during use.