PDA

View Full Version : Looking for places to hang in Canada August 13 - 21

BFGMofo
08-05-2013, 21:05
I have decided to ride the Harley from Virginia up through Canada around lake Ontario, out to Nova Scotia and then back to Virginia. I am looking for some places to hang on my journey, depending on weather, dates and places are as follows.

August 13 - somewhere in the Niagra Falls area
August 14 - somewhere near Montreal
August 15 - somewhere near Fredericton New Brunswick
August 16 - somewhere near Sydney Nova Scotia
August 17 - somewhere half way between Nova Scotia and Bangor Maine
August 18 - somewhere near Bangor Maine
August 19 - somewhere near Saratoga Springs NY
August 20 - somewhere near Chestnut Ridge PA

Any suggestions/guidance will be greatly appreciated. Also, if you are anywhere along my route and care to join me, let me know.

BrianWillan
08-07-2013, 19:17
I have decided to ride the Harley from Virginia up through Canada around lake Ontario, out to Nova Scotia and then back to Virginia. I am looking for some places to hang on my journey, depending on weather, dates and places are as follows.

August 13 - somewhere in the Niagra Falls area
August 14 - somewhere near Montreal
August 15 - somewhere near Fredericton New Brunswick
August 16 - somewhere near Sydney Nova Scotia
August 17 - somewhere half way between Nova Scotia and Bangor Maine
August 18 - somewhere near Bangor Maine
August 19 - somewhere near Saratoga Springs NY
August 20 - somewhere near Chestnut Ridge PA

Any suggestions/guidance will be greatly appreciated. Also, if you are anywhere along my route and care to join me, let me know.

If you can stretch you first leg to a little closer to Hamilton, Ontario, you could hang at Valens Conservation area. They are very hammock friendly. You might need a reservation at this time of the year though.

I will let other Canadian hangers help you with hanging spots in the other areas of Canada on your trip.

Cheers

Brian

Mikeinajeep
08-07-2013, 19:25
Wrong side of the country or I'd have lots of good places.

keg
08-08-2013, 13:23
The Niagara escarpment has plenty of places to camp or stealth hang along the Bruce Trail. Starts at Niagara falls.

http://brucetrail.org/places/9

Rest can't help you with.

Singingcrowsings
08-16-2013, 19:57
The Fundy Footpath (Not the national park) is a nice shorter thru-hike. Most people try to do it quickly (4 days - it's 65kms direct but with tons of switchbacks, the "path" is a moose trail), but I like to actually see the beauty of the place, so took my time and stayed a day or two in a few stops. The ends are Alma and St. Martin, NB; markers seem to be done from the Alma to St. Martin direction, but I did fine going the other way around. There's also a path that goes up from Alma to Moncton... Dawson path??? Dayton? I can't remember.

Of course in NS, you have the Cabot Trail near in Cape Breton area. http://www.cabottrail.com/ Gorgeous views!

Crazily enough, I tend to leave the province to go for my thru-hikes. Most of my times around Montreal are maybe 6k day hikes, so I can't really help you out there just yet (I'm from the other side of the country), but if you find something, please let me know. I'm due for a vacation soon! And hopefully will have my hammock by then.

Singingcrowsings
08-16-2013, 20:36
I just realised you're already heading to Maine by now. Hope you've had a great trip!