PDA

View Full Version : KAQ for a Warbonnet

Mrprez
03-17-2009, 17:51
OK, so I have a WB to study and I can see ways already in which to do this. I'd like to get some input from those of you who know the WB better than I. What would you like to see in a KAQ UQ?

GOLFER
03-17-2009, 17:55
I can not help you much prez being I just got my BB. But I'll assume that I would like the footbox to have good coverage. All the way up to the top of my head or so. Myabe to just under the shelf.

TY

Alan
03-17-2009, 17:57
I'd like to see something specifically designed around the footbox and integrated with the wings. It would be nice if the baffles were curved to meet the curve of the hammock and where the UQ comes all the way up to where the netting meets the fabric. I'm all about full coverage!

Take-a-knee
03-17-2009, 18:51
Make it 3/4 length.

GOLFER
03-17-2009, 20:03
if it's only 3/4length then it wouldn't be custom for the BB. Customed should mean including the footbox which is what makes the BB different. Maybe prez can develop two different kind 1 full length incorporating the footbox and 1 three quarter length. How about it prez you up for something like that.

Cannibal
03-18-2009, 01:53
While I loathe extra weight and bulk, I tend to agree that it should somehow be customized to the footbox. There are already low cost solutions for a torso length quilt (can you say Yeti?:D); let's see something cool in the form of a KAQ!:shades:

Shug
03-18-2009, 19:44
Maybe a footbox on the KAQ ..... slip the feet right in from inside the BlackBird........

gRaFFiX
05-18-2009, 23:33
So when can we expect its debut?

Mrprez
05-19-2009, 06:07
There won't be a BB specific KAQ. The one I am making for gathered end hammocks works just fine.

JGard2010
05-19-2009, 06:22
I would like to see something designed primarily with the footbox in mind and if it took into account the wings of the BB that would just be a plus to the design. Good luck with the design Prez! I am interested to see what you come up with.

warbonnetguy
05-19-2009, 11:50
There won't be a BB specific KAQ. The one I am making for gathered end hammocks works just fine.

that's what i figured. is it alot different from the origional kaq?

Mrprez
05-19-2009, 12:23
Somewhat. This one is just straight sides and has no shock cord on the sides or end.

warbonnetguy
05-19-2009, 14:09
will be interesting to see how it is suspended, sounds like something different

Mrprez
05-19-2009, 14:33
Nothing new really. It has a shock cord suspension that runs from the corners of the quilt to the hammock end knots and a drawstring closure on the end of the quilt to cinch it up. It also has 3 grosgrain loops on each side. I use the one on the right side by the footbox to keep it close up to the footbox.

warbonnetguy
05-19-2009, 14:35
ok, i see what you mean

mozzie
05-19-2009, 15:52
i too would like to see a bb specific foot box coverin full coverage kaq that no one else can use.bb is an awsum fancy *** hammockl that deserves only the best.this what puts the monkey on our backs.we want sumtin special.i think we deserve it!

Mrprez
05-19-2009, 15:53
We looked at doing that, but the end result was way too big and heavy.

Cannibal
05-19-2009, 16:01
Just throwing this out there because it popped into my head.

Nest was busy showing off a new underquilt he made. He talked about it last year on the trail and I guess he got bored during his brief time off. He took a blanket like the one you find at motels. You know, the cheap blanket between the sheet and the comforter. If feels soft and spongy. Anyway, he sandwiched that between a couple of layers of nylon and claims it is doing a good job. He was using it at Trail Days and seemed to be doing fine.

Sooooo, what about a 'pocket' of sorts for the footbox make with this material? It should weigh less than the traditional insulation and be a bit more manageable with regards to packing. The foot doesn't need to be real warm if the rest of the quilt is doing its job. Something to think about anyway.

Ewker
05-19-2009, 16:06
Just throwing this out there because it popped into my head.

Nest was busy showing off a new underquilt he made. He talked about it last year on the trail and I guess he got bored during his brief time off. He took a blanket like the one you find at motels. You know, the cheap blanket between the sheet and the comforter. If feels soft and spongy. Anyway, he sandwiched that between a couple of layers of nylon and claims it is doing a good job. He was using it at Trail Days and seemed to be doing fine.

Sooooo, what about a 'pocket' of sorts for the footbox make with this material? It should weigh less than the traditional insulation and be a bit more manageable with regards to packing. The foot doesn't need to be real warm if the rest of the quilt is doing its job. Something to think about anyway.

A vellux blanket is what you are talking about
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=vellux

Cannibal
05-19-2009, 16:10
Link isn't working for me, but a quick search for "vellux" found the tread in question. 99.9% sure that's what it is he's using right now.

Peter_pan
05-19-2009, 16:15
i too would like to see a bb specific foot box coverin full coverage kaq that no one else can use.bb is an awsum fancy *** hammockl that deserves only the best.this what puts the monkey on our backs.we want sumtin special.i think we deserve it!

Mozzie, et al,

The footbox that ya'll keep refering to on the BB is a bit of a misnomer as far as UQs are concerned....The BB base is a 65 inch by 120 inch gathered end hammock....Every under quilt that fits gathered end hammocks fits the BB...for example all of the JRB UQ fit the BB, so I'm sure that the KAQ described will also fit....

The "footbox" is primarily formed in the top by the triangle of material that replaces the bug net of the asym HH .... It has no impact on the bottom material or the fit of an under quilt.

Pan

Ewker
05-19-2009, 16:16
Link isn't working for me, but a quick search for "vellux" found the tread in question. 99.9% sure that's what it is he's using right now.

sorry about the link. I am sure that is what he is using since he mentioned it in Hot Springs at Ed's campout.

Mrprez
05-19-2009, 17:17
Mozzie, et al,

The footbox that ya'll keep refering to on the BB is a bit of a misnomer as far as UQs are concerned....The BB base is a 65 inch by 120 inch gathered end hammock....Every under quilt that fits gathered end hammocks fits the BB...for example all of the JRB UQ fit the BB, so I'm sure that the KAQ described will also fit....

The "footbox" is primarily formed in the top by the triangle of material that replaces the bug net of the asym HH .... It has no impact on the bottom material or the fit of an under quilt.

Pan

That's what I found on a recent hike using a BB and the GEKAQ (yet to be named). All I needed to add was a short length of cord from one of the grosgrain loops up to a point directly above that on the hammock to bring out the UQ so that the feet wouldn't pop out of the UQ. I used a gripclip and a biner on the UQ to attach the 2 points. Worked well.

gRaFFiX
05-19-2009, 19:23
(soundin repetative) So when can we expect the mod to be for sale on your website?

Mrprez
05-19-2009, 20:14
(soundin repetative) So when can we expect the mod to be for sale on your website?
I have a lot going on right now preventing me from keeping sales open. I have surgery next week (with a 2 week recovery) and a 2 week hike in June. I am only taking requests from people on HF and only when I can work it in to my schedule. Send me a PM with your request and I will see what I can do.

John

gRaFFiX
05-19-2009, 20:19
Thanx Mrprez, but I also have some things I need to get first before I get an Underquilt, just thought I'd inquire for the greater good of the forums. Take your time with recovery and I will get in touch with you later. And, for sure, enjoy that hike!

Mrprez
05-19-2009, 20:20
Thanx Mrprez, but I also have some things I need to get first before I get an Underquilt, just thought I'd inquire for the greater good of the forums. Take your time with recovery and I will get in touch with you later. And, for sure, enjoy that hike!

OK, thanks I'll do both! Once I get back from the hike, I should be able to reopen the website for orders and have all the info on the new model. Maybe even have a name for it!

gRaFFiX
05-19-2009, 20:30
Make sure to give it a kickass name *pun intended*