PDA

View Full Version : Noobs First DIY - Hammock

Dev
08-07-2013, 23:04
So for my first every DIY I decided to go for a tablecloth hammock. I have finally finished it and I can say that for the most part it was a success. I have a few questions that have come up from doing this DIY. Firstly, I went the whipping route and this being my first attempt at whipping does it look correct from the photo? Secondly how do you install the ridgeline? I put mine on there but it seems to be taking some of my weight, I'm not sure if this is correct or not.

In the pic the green whoopie is my ridgeline. If I need to post a different angle of the whipping I can.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=53945&stc=1&d=1375934312

Overall, it was a fun and easy first DIY and there will definitely be more, once I google how to use a sewing machine. :lol:

gmcttr
08-07-2013, 23:11
The photo is not showing for me.

Mountnman
08-07-2013, 23:16
Yea no photo is showing up. Would love to see your handy work, welcome to the forum, and to the ever addictive DIY world :D

Dev
08-07-2013, 23:38
Okay the photo should show up now.

Mountnman
08-07-2013, 23:46
Is it an adjustable ridgeline?

Dev
08-07-2013, 23:51
Is it an adjustable ridgeline?

Yes, I'm using a regular whoopie sling right now but am going to get something longer as it is a bit short.

BroChaos
08-08-2013, 01:24
how much material did you lose on the ends? if you are on the taller end of things, you might be able to get a better lay by using the hybrid/knotty/warbonnet method of whipping using the existing hem.

Mountnman
08-08-2013, 01:28
Yes, I'm using a regular whoopie sling right now but am going to get something longer as it is a bit short.

Should start out around 83% of the length of hammock, sounds like it is too short. I ordered enough amsteel to make basically a long whoopie that I can adjust. The more you shorten the tighter the ridgeline gets

iRokk
08-08-2013, 02:18
That is exactly how i have the suspension/ridgeline set up on my gathered end. In terms of length, +1 on what mountnman said.

Dev
08-08-2013, 09:20
Thanks for the help guys I'm going to give the warbonnet method a go and see if that is better. I noticed the center of the hammock is deep making the sides tight when I sit on it.

Dev
08-08-2013, 13:08
okay so after finally getting my gutted paracord through the channel I was able to do the warbonnet style whipping. I followed the gathered end hammock guide above that is stickied and this is the result, hopefully it is correct.

BroChaos
08-08-2013, 14:35
i just got my tablecloth in the mail today, but looks good to me. i plan on doing it the same way. i think you saved yourself ~6" on each end or so right? should help you get a flatter lay with less calf ridge.

what color is that btw? i got the sage one...

Dev
08-08-2013, 15:43
i just got my tablecloth in the mail today, but looks good to me. i plan on doing it the same way. i think you saved yourself ~6" on each end or so right? should help you get a flatter lay with less calf ridge.

what color is that btw? i got the sage one...

It is sage too, really loving the color. After a long day toying with different methods and dealing with sore fingers I ended up redoing my whipping and went with the fan gathering method. I was having trouble fitting gutted paracord through the channel. Even with it whipped It is still a fairly long hammock. My ENO has now been moved down the bench. :lol:

grannypat
08-08-2013, 19:34
It is sage too, really loving the color. After a long day toying with different methods and dealing with sore fingers I ended up redoing my whipping and went with the fan gathering method. I was having trouble fitting gutted paracord through the channel. Even with it whipped It is still a fairly long hammock. My ENO has now been moved down the bench. :lol:

I used mason's line in the channel of my DIY hammock. Tie it around a safety pin--makes it easier to work the line through the channel.

MDSH
08-08-2013, 20:42
Looks good, Dev!

Dev
08-08-2013, 22:07
I used mason's line in the channel of my DIY hammock. Tie it around a safety pin--makes it easier to work the line through the channel.

Mason line probably would of worked better than paracord with the tiny channel I was working with. I can't believe I didn't think of the safety pin idea, thanks for the tip.:)

Looks good, Dev!.

Thanks MDSH! :)