PDA

View Full Version : Through Hiking in Ontario?

jimmay
08-10-2013, 10:44
I know of the Superior Hiking Trail near Wawa Ontario, but what other trails offer through (I keep wanting to spell it thru) hiking in Ontario? Most of the trails I'm familiar with (Frontenac Park) are short distance or offer no camp sites (Rideau Trail). I find the Rideau Trail pointless other than for day hiking as two cars are needed at each end of the daily hike so that transportation to accommodations can be made for the night.

Jim

keg
08-10-2013, 19:02
There's the Voyageur trail. It goes from Manitoulin along the shore of Superior. It has well established sections with sites in Lake Superior PP and Pukaskwa NP (I hiked it last summer). There is also the Bruce Trail but much of the camping along it is stealth only. You could also do the Ganaraska trail but most of it is roads except through QEII Wildlands.

Taliesin96
08-14-2013, 21:59
I know of the Superior Hiking Trail near Wawa Ontario, but what other trails offer through (I keep wanting to spell it thru) hiking in Ontario? Most of the trails I'm familiar with (Frontenac Park) are short distance or offer no camp sites (Rideau Trail). I find the Rideau Trail pointless other than for day hiking as two cars are needed at each end of the daily hike so that transportation to accommodations can be made for the night.

Jim

you have the ottawa temiskaming highlnd trail it is northern ontario near temagami its around 100km

The Old Boot
08-19-2013, 08:40
Both Killarney PP and Algonquin have backpacking trails.

You could also take a look at some of the Trans Canada Trail and compare it to crown land maps to find some sections that are on crown land although a lot of it is on back country roadways.

Debi Jaytee
08-19-2013, 14:32
There are some trails along the north shore of Lake Superior, the Casques Isle trail comes to mind off the top of my head. There are also a number of trails in Sleeping Giant Provincial Park. This link might help:
http://www.ontariotrails.on.ca/trail-regions/northwestern-ontario

Woolman
11-01-2014, 22:41
K&P Trail, an old railway line running from Kingston to Pembrooke. It runs through a fair amount of Crown Land and offers wilderness camping.

Spent several nights on the trail, love it.

Whiskeyjack
11-03-2014, 09:22
Welcome to the joy of Ontario. More wilderness than almost anywhere in the world, very limited backpacking options outside of day hikes. I`ve been trying to get my wife to print up some maps from the US border to Thunder Bay in the hopes of finding a feasible path to maybe one day begin to continue the SHT to Thunder Bay. I`d also love to see one made North along Hwy 527 to Armstrong. It`s almost all crown land up there.
The TCT pretty much skipped Northwestern Ontario. They just drew lines through the lakes and called it a day.

keg
11-06-2014, 16:34
Ive done part of pukaskwa and its scenic and pretty quiet. Most of the sites are along the shore of lake Superior in sheltered bays or behind islands. Would be a pretty neat park to kayak. Only problem is its linear ( not a loop)and a pretty long drive from south/central Ontario.

As mentioned it is also part of the voyageur trail system (and the trans Canada) but to connect to the other parts would be some pretty rough trails. The voyageur trail assn. does have GPS and maps for most parts though.

The Old Boot
11-06-2014, 17:27
There's also lots of trails in the Temagami area including the Ottawa Temaskaming Highland Trail.

Link -
http://www.nastawgantrails.org/area-trails_en.html