PDA

View Full Version : Yo-Yoing 73 miles in 3 days!

Preacha Man
03-19-2009, 14:07
Hey guys,

I just finished hiking the Buffalo River Trail in Northern Arkansas. I started on a Thursday morning and hiked 32.2 miles the first day. I then woke up loaded up, and hiked the 4.3 miles to the end, turned around and hiked 23.9 miles back the other way. Saturday I finished up the 73 miles by hiking 12.6 miles.

Some of yall have asked me how I could hike with my ULA Conduit pack, and I had my PW Climashield XP Comforter Quilts (top and under), My PW 10X12 Catherdral Cat Tarp, and my DIY hammock. I had an aquamira Frontier Pro, but I was moving so fast that I found that tablets worked better for me. My base pack wieghed 9 pounds, and a friend told me that I needed to carry extra food since I was travelling so much. I carried 3 pounds of food a day, and I found that this was way too much. I gave a lot of my bars away to some boy scouts, and I still came home with a lot of food. One of the best things I carried was a Met-Rx Protien Plus bar that has 32gr of Protien. I wouldn't eat this as fuel for the day, but used the protien to help repair my muscles at night. My conduit still had room and was more than comfortable the entire time, it is the best pack I have ever used by far :boggle:.

Here is a full report with pictures here, sorry I didn't want to re-type it all here. (http://www.arkansasbackcountry.com/buffalo-river-trail-f27/preacha-s-buffalo-solo-trip-report-t669.htm)

Dwight

Schneiderlein
03-19-2009, 14:36
Nice trip report! Wow, that's a lot of miles in three days. But still, sleeping under the sink, when you have a hammock with you?

te-wa
03-19-2009, 14:40
Conduit is also my best pack to date, and ive tried a bunch of 'em. 32 miles in one day.. is that your record?
mine is 34,(with about 5K' AEG) but i dont think i'll ever do that again..:scared:

sounds like you had a blast out there. nice!

Preacha Man
03-19-2009, 14:51
Nice trip report! Wow, that's a lot of miles in three days. But still, sleeping under the sink, when you have a hammock with you?

I was really tired, and believe me, next time I will hang up the hammock. My hip hurt me for a few days after sleeping on that concrete.

32 miles in one day.. is that your record?

so far that is my record, 32.2 miles in one day. It is not one that I am willing to break for a while though.

Dwight

JayS
03-19-2009, 14:54
Did you see anything that wasn't blurred?!? Just kiddin'.

Can't wait to get home and open the trip report. What a way to pack in the miles!

Cannibal
03-19-2009, 15:00
Those are big miles. Kudos to you for succeeding! Good nap afterward?:D

drewboy
03-19-2009, 16:04
Another vote for the Conduit pack. Been carrying mine for ~2 years now and still love it. Record of 34 miles in one day? I think I'd let that one stand :o. I've got a couple of 28 milers in there, and that was plenty for me.

WrongTurn
03-24-2009, 21:17
x4 on the Conduit. However, I'll leave mileage like that to you gentleman. About 18-20 is the most anyone will ever get out of me.

froldt
03-25-2009, 05:23
Wow, that's some great mileage! I might be able to do that in the future, but I'm no-where near the shape I'd need to be in to do that now.

I dunno about sleeping on the concrete, that'd definitely take a few miles to work the kinks out. :D Exhaustion does help soften hard surfaces, though.

Preacha Man
03-25-2009, 09:55
It took 6 months of training and shedding fat to be able to do that many miles so fast. I trail run on the weekdays, and I shed 50 pounds of fat since last September.

My gear and I use to weigh 260-265 pounds together, but since shedding fat and pack weight, me and my gear (including food and water) doesn't get over 200 pounds now. You can go a lot faster when your not lugging around 60-65 pounds with you. I will also note that I was solo, and I hiked as long as there was sunlight. I woke up before dawn, and even hiked with my headlamp a little. I kept on singing the song, Put One Foot In Front Of The Other ;)

Dwight

Big D
03-27-2009, 19:41
Man that is awesome! You inspire me to work harder.
Thanks

hdbint
05-06-2009, 10:33
Looks like your feet were pretty beat up after that. That's big miles for one day.

Out of curiosity, what footwear were you using (shoes, socks, liners)? Would you change your foot gear if you were going to try to break that record?

shrek
05-06-2009, 10:52
I kept on singing the song, Put One Foot In Front Of The Other ;)

Dwight

I thought I was the only one that did that. :lol:

east_stingray
05-06-2009, 10:53
Yowza. Glad you had a good time, but I just don't enjoy myself when I'm moving that fast.

ZooBee
05-06-2009, 12:07
Having hiked that same trail , 2 wks ago, my hats off to you. I hiked 15 miles one day and I thought I was going to die. I am in awe of your accompishment.

SmokeHouse
05-06-2009, 12:23
Sounds like a great trip. I was on the buffalo also doing a 5 day float, but had to cut it down to 4 days due to the flash flooding Saturday. I got off the river just in time before it flooded Saturday evening.

Coffee
05-06-2009, 12:47
I thought I was the only one that did that. :lol:

For me its 'Ain't no Mountain High Enough'.

Preacha Man
05-06-2009, 13:43
Out of curiosity, what footwear were you using (shoes, socks, liners)? Would you change your foot gear if you were going to try to break that record?

I was using my well broken in Saucony trail runners, with liners and smart wool socks. Yes, next time I will be using my Injinji socks as liners and my smart wool as outers ;). I will also use my SOLE Orthotics that really help keep my foot in alignment.

For me its 'Ain't no Mountain High Enough'.

That's a good one, but uphill doesn't bother me at all, it is always downhill that slows me down odd enough :)

Dwight

Coffee
05-06-2009, 13:46
I'm kind of the same way. I get focused on getting to the top. I hike faster on the uphill then on the straight or downs. That some just sticks in my head. During the rain it's usually 'Rainy days and Mondays'. No good reason, just the songs that I sing over and over while I hike.

Preacha Man
05-06-2009, 13:51
I had my ipod with me on this hike, and I never used it, I just sang to myself. I am preparing for another hike of this size, but I have to wait for the weather around here to settle down, we have had one storm after another, and I really do not want to hike 60-70 miles in the mud :)

Cannibal
05-06-2009, 14:24
Whiskey River by Willie Nelson.
I thought it would drive me insane! I don't even like country music. :scared: