PDA

View Full Version : AT thru HH hyperlite, need insulation opinions. thx

Mud__Bone
03-20-2009, 00:19
as the thread title states I'd love to hear what folks feel would be the best insulation choice for the journey in the wood? now mind you I intend of starting no later than Apr 7.

the HH super shelter? JRB nest and snivler? Kickass Quilts Potomac? DIY is out of the question at this point. any other choices?

all help/input is greatly appreciated folks.

I'm honestly at this point looking at the two options of going the SS route. the down sorta scares me being exposed to weather. but I just can't wrap my head around how a second layer of silnyl and a thin ocf pad is going to provide enough insulation . even with the space blanket on top the ocf. I hope my questions don't seem lame. from what i've read so far the space blanket is pretty much needed, so then I scratch my head and ask then what the heck is the ocf doing simple creating an air space? if so , then my mind snaps to garbage bags , wouldn't they create a much better air space?

what sorta real world low temp comforts can I expect with suggested solution?

should the whole hammock be treated for the ol bugs?

any sleeping bag/quilt suggestions, ? down? syn?

sorry, as I'm guessing its the same old questions to someof you, but please bear with me. I appreciate your thought and sharing of your knowledge.

look forward to hearing thoughts.

PeaceB2U, Mud__Bone :shades:

MacEntyre
03-20-2009, 02:24
...how a second layer of silnyl and a thin ocf pad is going to provide enough insulation . even with the space blanket on top the ocf.
It does provide enough insulation for above freezing. There is nothing that will get you to lower temps for the same money. It's easy to supplement the SS pad to take it to lower temps.

what sorta real world low temp comforts can I expect...?
I've used my SS without a space blanket to near freezing. When I added a Gossamer Gear Thinlight 1/4" CCF pad, I was toasty at 20 degF.

should the whole hammock be treated for the ol bugs?
Some folks have used Permethrin... I have no experience with it. The bugnet works, and the bottom entry is very good at keeping critters out.

any sleeping bag/quilt suggestions, ? down? syn?
Depends on the temps you expect. Whatever you use, configure it as a top quilt.

Ramblinrev
03-20-2009, 02:42
I got into the teens with my super shelter and a sleazy cheap butt nasty Wally World 0* Coleman sleeping bag. I like the system. (Well not the WW sleeping bag but you go with what you have available.)

Mud__Bone
03-20-2009, 04:20
It's easy to supplement the SS pad to take it to lower temps.

I added a Gossamer Gear Thinlight 1/4" CCF pad, I was toasty at 20 degF.

I take it "supplement" to mean that gossamer pad? would that be the full or 3/4 length, torso?

and silly maybe but would this additional pad be used inside or simply under hammock on top of the ocf that is part of the SS?

closed cell open cell ? hummm , wonder what the insulation and resilience differences are.

awwww crap i just checked and no more 1/4 thickness at their site :scared::(

also I read at bp geartest of an over cover, I'd like to have that as well if it'd help, but I don't see much mention of it in my readings other than GT reviews.

Ramblinrev not sure what to do about a bag/quilt. I have a bag, quite warm as I recall, from Marlboro cigs from when i used to smoke cigs, well , right handed cigs anyway lol , I'd have to look to see what the fill is, but I recall being hot in it. that'd save me a nice chunk on change. as quilts/bags are expensive man ... whew.
anywho, thanks guys for your input, appreciate it much,

anyone else care to share?

MacEntyre
03-20-2009, 04:54
I take it "supplement" to mean that gossamer pad?
or nearly anything else you think might work well between the OCF pad and the under cover.

would that be the full or 3/4 length, torso?
Mine is 60" long

...no more 1/4 thickness at their site :scared::(
I would not mind using the 1/8" Thinlight. I mght cut it in two, and use them crossways.

...over cover, I'd like to have that as well if it'd help
It will help.