PDA

View Full Version : Double Layer

Wolverine
08-16-2013, 05:38
Ordered a Darien single layer, having doubts about not getting double layer? I do most if not all of my hanging in Michigan. My main concern is just mosquitos, although I did want to keep the weight down.

outdoorsguy
08-16-2013, 06:11
I have a single layer WBBB for use primarily in the summer months. For use right in the middle of skeeter season and I am very happy with my decision to go SL.

I get exactly zero bites through the bottom, but I have to use permethrin. I can hear them right under me, but they never land, much less bite. And when the night is hot, trust me, you will be very glad you picked a SL for the ability for breezes to go through. I also have a double layer hammock, the SL is noticeably cooler in the same environment.

gargoyle
08-16-2013, 07:34
Treat with permethrin.

dakotaross
08-16-2013, 07:45
Up there, you probably won't ever use without an UQ, right?

nyhiker50
08-16-2013, 07:58
Treat with permethrin.

Yep, it works. I seem to be different from everyone else. I use a sleeping bag, insect repellent and sometimes a head net or buff. The bugs won't bite from the bottom and the bag or anything else keeps them off the top. With the temps here going into the 60's (IN AUGUST???) the bugs won't be buzzing at night.