PDA

View Full Version : Have a week to backpack next year. Where to go?

cloudedice
08-16-2013, 13:45
My wife and I have an arrangement that started this year. Whenever I go away on a trip, she gets to go away for a trip that length.

Well, she's already informed me that she intends to be away for about a week next year which means I can go away for a week. :) Question is, where do I go?

Any suggestions you have for trips in the Northeast would be much appreciated. Never too early to start planning.

buckeyeslinger
08-16-2013, 14:44
it may be a long drive, but dolly sods WV gets my vote. Ecological diversity alone makes it worth it. the views are just the icing on the cake.
Or bag the presidential peaks!

Turtle Creek
08-16-2013, 14:49
Never too early to start planning.

Planning them out is half the fun.

MightyMouse
08-16-2013, 14:57
My first long hike was Foothills Trail in SC. Stunning.

Getting set to leave for Grayson Highlands - one and a wake-up... :D

raiffnuke
08-16-2013, 15:00
If you want to stay up north, sections of the AT or the LT are great!

Zigerot
08-16-2013, 15:14
Hanging Rock State Park, NC.
Ive never been to another park that has prettier waterfalls, or so many.
the lower cascades are my favorite. officially the park wants you to base camp in their grounds. But i have walked the whole park on multi day adventures and stealth camped many times. I would particularly suggest stealth camping the upper cascades. Its a little tricky to get down to the falls, so no one is going to do it in the dark. It is a very pretty spot and you have it all to yourself after sundown.

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/haro/pics/parkmap.pdf

Chriss
08-16-2013, 15:45
No advice for trails (I am going to the Hot Springs, NC section of the AT this fall). My wife and I just came to the very agreement a few weeks ago! She already burned two of her five nights this past weekend.

Wolverine
08-16-2013, 17:12
What I wouldn't give to be doing the 100 Mile Wilderness. 100 Mile Wilderness might be a tad much for a week though. The Whites would be my choice in your area. Here in Michigan the Holy Grail of backpacking is Isle Royale.

DuctTape
08-30-2013, 15:38
In the Adirondacks:
120 miles Northville Placid Trail. Or a section of it, or a section of it looped in with a different trail.

How many miles were you planning on doing? What type of terrain, water features, mountains, etc... do you desire?

G.G.
08-30-2013, 15:47
AT Section
Long Trail
Whites
100 Wilderness

Throw a dart. Doesn't matter. Just time the season right and know you're fitness level. You'll have a great time.

Jealous

cloudedice
10-07-2013, 14:31
it may be a long drive, but dolly sods WV gets my vote. Ecological diversity alone makes it worth it. the views are just the icing on the cake.
Or bag the presidential peaks!
WV is a bit far for me. I was hoping for 3-4 hours drive time max, to maximize my outdoor time. Meeting the Presidents is on my short list though. :)

Planning them out is half the fun.
Absolutely!

My first long hike was Foothills Trail in SC. Stunning.

Getting set to leave for Grayson Highlands - one and a wake-up... :D
Hope you had fun in the Highlands. I'll make it down south one day, but probably not till the kids are older.

If you want to stay up north, sections of the AT or the LT are great!
I've done about half of the CT AT, but our usual hiking buddies weren't able to do it this year and I don't want to complete CT without them. Next year they probably won't be able to take as much time off as I can get. I hiked an overnight on the AT/LT in VT this year and I loved it. It's definitely on my short list for the week-long hike.

What I wouldn't give to be doing the 100 Mile Wilderness. 100 Mile Wilderness might be a tad much for a week though. The Whites would be my choice in your area.
Me too. If I had 10 days, I'd probably do it, but I'm pretty certain I wouldn't be able to pull off 100 miles in less than 7 days. The Whites are on my list though. :)

In the Adirondacks:
120 miles Northville Placid Trail. Or a section of it, or a section of it looped in with a different trail.
Hadn't considered the Adirondacks. I will now.

How many miles were you planning on doing? What type of terrain, water features, mountains, etc... do you desire?
I'm up for almost any terrain and knowing my speed/strength I'm thinking 60-70 miles over 5 days. I usually plan two sets of stops and attempt the longer one knowing I can do shorter days if I need to. It's worked well so far, but I've only done weekend trips. We'll see how it works on a longer trip.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! (and sorry for not responding sooner)

desmobob
10-07-2013, 16:00
Just be sure to plan two or three trips, all in different areas. That way, the weather has less of a chance to foil your plans.

I'm sitting at home now, on vacation, waiting for a nasty storm front and wind to pass by so I can embark on my planned solo Adirondack canoe camping trip (two days late).

Take it easy,
desmobob