PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION! Bushcrafters and Turtle Dog Stand Owners

lesspayne
08-18-2013, 18:34
I bought a chair about a month or two a go after watching a couple of You Tube videos from JP on his EconoChallenge channel. It turns out to be quite a simple and useful multitasking piece of gear, that JP introduces in his video. I have provided a link below.

KH6yqDFGRqI

The Amazing Wilderness Camp/Hammock Wilderness Chair Specs:

The Original:

Made from Ripstop Nylon

Weight Capacity: 300 lbs

Weight (chair only no suspension): 110 grams

Cost: $30

The Ultra-Light:

Made from Nylon Taffeta

Weight Capacity: 200-250 lbs

Weight (chair only no suspension): 100 grams

Cost: $30

I decided to get this chair after seeing JP demonstrate the chair in the above video, watching him convert it into a hammock chair and make a sofa (with two chairs and a hammock) (check out his You Tube channel for more about this chair). After having a thought that I could also use it as a gear hammock as well as a chair I made a purchase. For thirty dollars I obtained a square nylon taffeta rectangle that measures approximately 40" X 21" and had two channels sewn into either end with one channel larger than the other. On one side a pocket has been sewn in to provide a built in stuff sack.

I built the chair JP built in the above video in about 20 to 30 minutes. My first go at it landed me on my butt because I decided to use a rotten branch for the chairs bottom support, it snapped under my weight and I quickly got a refresher course in gravity. A few minutes later I found another branch that took my weight and my camp chair was born.

This chair is very comfortable. My friends that I was camping with commented that the chair was more comfortable than the folding chairs that they had. When it started raining I moved the Amazing Wilderness Camp/Hammock chair, tripod and all, under my tarp, set in porch mode and cooked dinner from my comfy perch, listening to the rain drops bounce on the tarp.

I also wanted to show my idea, this chair used as a gear storage hammock. So in the morning I took apart the tripod camp chair and set it up as a gathered end hammock, underneath my hammock and dropped in whatever gear I had close at hand into it. I was pleased with the results.

Not shown in my pictures, this chair can be used as a hammock chair hung like a gathered end hammock. It could make an easy chair to rest in during breaks along your hike which would set up in the amount of time it would take to hang a normal hammock. I have not tried it out as the hammock chair yet but I am sure it will hold my weight with no problems after making the camp chair with it.

Other tips from JP include using the camp chair on any hillside by adjusting the tripod or cutting one leg shorter than the others. When being used as a camp chair some people like to lash the chair's bottom support to the tripod or cut notches for the bottom support brace of the chair into the tripod legs, I didn't find it necessary.

If you are interested in getting one yourself and like me have no sewing skills, email JP at Econo Challenge [email protected].

Pictures:

GT
08-18-2013, 18:59
Very Cool! But I see a problem finding 4 dead straight pieces of good solid wood about 5 feet long. Especially around a camp site where dry wood is usually picked clean for campfires.
Just my thoughts.

lesspayne
08-18-2013, 19:17
Very Cool! But I see a problem finding 4 dead straight pieces of good solid wood about 5 feet long. Especially around a camp site where dry wood is usually picked clean for campfires.
Just my thoughts.

It took me about 10 minutes to round up the materials, here in the swamp deadfall is not a problem. I plan on building the Turtle Dog Stand and using it in the same manner for car camping, should set up a lot quicker seeing as how I don't have to search for materials. But really, I like the gear box it can make.

Trambo
08-20-2013, 00:14
You know what Lesspayne, I saw this a few months ago
and thought "What a simple and easy idea".
Imagine a stuff sack that has a large bottom channel
so that it can become a bush-chair.

Every turtlelady stand should use this.

You could also make some very simple beaks,
when you have tripods.

lesspayne
08-20-2013, 00:21
You know what Lesspayne, I saw this a few months ago
and thought "What a simple and easy idea".
Imagine a stuff sack that has a large bottom channel
so that it can become a bush-chair.

Every turtlelady stand should use this.

You could also make some very simple beaks,
when you have tripods.

Thanks. :)

Is it Turtle Lady stand? I don't know it's history, It was introduced to me as the Turtle Dog. Should I change this threads title?

I have no sewing skills, luckily JP does...

Trambo
08-20-2013, 00:25
Nah, no need to change the title.
It was first called turtlelady, and some say TL.
But, Turtledog is just modifications onto the TL,
and honestly, I wouldn't know the difference.
To me, both are right /shrug.

Pipsissewa
08-20-2013, 06:34
Turtle Lady was the first to come up with tripod stands made of bamboo that she uses when she travels.

The Turtle Dog stand is Old Dog's version of the Turtle Lady stand using large gate hinges to connect the legs of the tripods, I believe. :D

lesspayne
08-20-2013, 07:26
Turtle Lady was the first to come up with tripod stands made of bamboo that she uses when she travels.

The Turtle Dog stand is Old Dog's version of the Turtle Lady stand using large gate hinges to connect the legs of the tripods, I believe. :D

Thank you for the history. You are right, gate hinges connect the tripod legs for the Turtle Dog stand. For the Turtle Lady stands, how does she connect the bamboo legs, simple lashings?

Trambo
08-20-2013, 07:30
Yes originally is lashed

snellvillehammock
08-20-2013, 19:29
Thansk for sharing, i'm going to give it a try

lesspayne
08-21-2013, 09:17
Thansk for sharing, i'm going to give it a try

Your welcome. Please feel free to share your experience on this thread if you like.

Floridahanger
09-09-2013, 21:00

Yes, and to complete the conversion, he used 2x2's instead of the bamboo bundle.

I like the bushcraft chair. Sewed one up ~3 years ago, but never used it since like LostinSpace has stated, it's hard to find those darned 4 perfect pieces of wood here. I don't even take it anymore. I will make a gear loft though, to double as a camp chair between the trees. There was one at the "no underquilts hang" made by Life Scout. Nice lite piece of gear with multiple uses.

mountainjulie
09-19-2013, 15:29
With sleeves and a hood this could double as a windbreaker!

CamoNut
09-19-2013, 19:48
I use one of these from time to time(pic is from last Feb.). I would rather use a nice cushy chair though if I am able to, but this is much easier to pack with me.
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3710/9123056328_869d594235_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/96315997@N08/9123056328/)