PDA

View Full Version : field report on first nite ever outside

GOLFER
03-22-2009, 13:36
O.K. ladies and gents. Well last night 3/21/09 was the first time I spent the night in the blackbird in the out of doors. First let me start by saying thank you to all the avid hangers here at Hammockforums to lead me on my quest for comfort in the New England woods. I will try to load some photos later to show the set up in the woods in my backyard but not sure how to.

Started the set up around 7ish and got done 15 to 20 minutes later, not to bad. Inside the hammock I used 2 blue wally world pads 1/2" X 24" X 72" and let me just say I was comfy warm all night.

The temp got down to 28 degrees with wind making it feel like 24 degrees. I was able to shut the foot end of the speers winter tarp to block this wind, work out sweet. Didn't get a lot of sleep due to my wife and kids freakin out thinking I'm going to get hypothermia so they kept texting me. Then my daughter kept reminding me about a bear in our area with cubs so needless to say every noise I heard was like, what was that.

Got out one time for the call of nature around 1 a.m. Inside the hammock for blankets I had a 20 degree sleeping bag used as a quilt and an Italian wool blanket which was quit nice. It allowed me to let my lower legs be covered while I pulled the mummy sleeping bag over my head because my face ,even with a balaclava, would get cold. Hate when my nose gets cold.

Woke up around 5:30 a.m. to go golf this morning. back felt wonderful so I had a great game shot a 79 second time out this year. The blackbird is a great hammock and would reccomend it to anyone , in fact I think I sold one to someone on the course during play today, by just describing it to another player he asked for the web site of th WBBB. thats about it have to get to store for the kids right now fill y'all in more later with pictures I hope.

Forgot to mention what I was wearing that night. well balaclava for one but couldn't get comfy with it so ended up with my knitted hat on.
thermal underwear
turtleneck
fleece top
two pairs of socks

WARMINGLY,

TY

MacEntyre
03-22-2009, 13:42
...back felt wonderful so I had a great game shot a 79 second time out this year.
Man! I gotta have one of those Blackbirds if it will help my golf game like that! :D

GOLFER
03-22-2009, 19:20
Man! I gotta have one of those Blackbirds if it will help my golf game like that! :D

been a while for the back to feel that good for a round. I think I'll sleep in it the day before a big tournament

MacEntyre
03-22-2009, 20:06
You'll appreciate this... today, a friend called and invited me to the Tuesday practice day at the Masters!

GOLFER
03-22-2009, 20:29
I got one word for you! DUUUDE!!!
I have to add to this let's say you buy a blackbird, then go to practice round. Now with the BB looking like a stealth fighter do a stealth hang at agusta national . Whoa that would be cool.

Shug
03-22-2009, 20:37
Yessir, glad you had a swell night out. It is ON NOW!!!!!!!
Time for Backpack time. Come down for our Northern June Hang........
Shug

GOLFER
03-22-2009, 20:44
[QUOTE=Shug;110220]Yessir, glad you had a swell night out. It is ON NOW!!!!!!!
Shug[/QUOw

Where exactly is it shug.

Shug
03-22-2009, 20:51
[QUOTE=Shug;110220]Yessir, glad you had a swell night out. It is ON NOW!!!!!!!
Shug[/QUOw

Where exactly is it shug.
In Northern Wisconsin ......

GOLFER
03-22-2009, 20:53
shug when your out in the cold do you tend to cover your face with you quilt or whatever your useing.

TY

Shug
03-22-2009, 20:56
shug when your out in the cold do you tend to cover your face with you quilt or whatever your useing.
TY
I don't ... the moist air will just get inside your bag. My face does OK ... in real cold I pull my balaclava over my chin and my hat to my nose. In real, real cold I wear a fleece facemask I got years ago.

GOLFER
03-22-2009, 20:58
[QUOTE=GOLFER;110221]
In Northern Wisconsin ......

Wish I could but need to get on plane sorry chief shug.

GOLFER
03-22-2009, 21:02
I had a hard time getting comfortable with the balaclava on. Is yours fleece(balaclava that is)

Shug
03-22-2009, 22:50
I had a hard time getting comfortable with the balaclava on. Is yours fleece(balaclava that is)
I have a fleece and a polypro ... both feel real good on my noggin.
Shug

bukkit
03-22-2009, 22:53
I think it's also important to point out that Shug -being in Northern Wisconsin - has a different definition of "cold" than most.

MacEntyre
03-23-2009, 03:24
I have a polypro balaclava for the hammock that doubles as a motorcycle helmet liner.

I've also used a silk Wild Rag (modern cowboy 36" bandana) which works very well in the hammock. I put it over my face like a bank robber.

There is a secondary benefit to covering your mouth... your mouth doesn't dry out as bad in winter. I tell my body to breathe through my nose, but often I will wake up and find that it breathed through my mouth, and I need water bad!

lori
03-23-2009, 08:03
I like the idea of a balaclava but when I wear one I end up using it like a beanie anyway - start to feel trapped in it.

I think my momma should have named me Claustrophobia.

DeShazo
03-25-2009, 15:06
I have just started but used my Buff and it worked just fine. It can be worn like 10 different ways. I love this thing.
http://www.buffwear.co.uk/pages/technical/ways-to-wear.php

Ekul
03-25-2009, 15:18
I have just started but used my Buff and it worked just fine. It can be worn like 10 different ways. I love this thing.

I second that! lightweight enough not to interfere with breathing thru it.

JayS
03-25-2009, 15:50
O.K. ladies and gents...
I pulled the mummy sleeping bag over my head because my face ,even with a balaclava, would get cold. Hate when my nose gets cold.

TY

I hate it when my nose freezes! :( I use a Serius QuickDraw hat that has a pull down face cover that usually does the trick.

MacEntyre
03-25-2009, 16:20
I love this thing...
Thanks for posting that. I've never seen them... gonna get a couple for the kids, and a camo Buff for myself!

Ekul
03-25-2009, 16:53
Thanks for posting that. I've never seen them... gonna get a couple for the kids, and a camo Buff for myself!

Buffaholic soon to be! They have SPF rated ones also. REI has them in stock fyi

GOLFER
03-25-2009, 17:30

these things look pretty darn sweet. Have to get a couple, thanks for bringing to my attention.

TY

DeShazo
03-26-2009, 15:39
Its the next best thing to a Warbonnet Blackbird.... Well, not that good...haha