PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question about fabric..

WSG
03-23-2009, 08:09
Hello, I'm new here but after reading for a long time I decided to try something on my own. I have found some rip stop at my local Wal-Mart and some that I believe is water resistant. From what I read and searched it is Water resistant if it doesn't breath? is that correct? I know I looked silly in Wal-Mart trying to blow through the fabric but I couldn't, it seems, without blowing out a lung.

Is this what DIY people are using for tarps? I know there is sil-nylon but I was wanting to try this first to play with, it was only 1.50 a yard. (now all I have to do is get my wife to teach me to sew:laugh:)

Ramblinrev
03-23-2009, 08:14
(now all I have to do is get my wife to teach me to sew:laugh:)

Take a look at the We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! vid series. It was designed and put together for novice gear makers and people unfamiliar with the power gear driven thread injector equipment.

Cannibal
03-23-2009, 08:44
From what I read and searched it is Water resistant if it doesn't breath? is that correct?
For the most part, yes. Best test is to get a large bowl and drape the fabric over it, fill with water, carefully lift and hang. Check after 30 minutes and see if any/how much water leaked. Material will probably be a little heavy, but my guess is it will work great for a first tarp. Another benefit is because it isn't sil, it will be easier to sew; which is important in the early days.:D

Good luck!

Mrprez
03-23-2009, 08:55
There are 2 types of coatings. Silnylon and PU. If the material feels light and thin most likely it is sil. If it feels thick and heavy, most likely PU. A tarp out of PU would be very heavy.

WSG
03-23-2009, 13:20
If it feels thick and heavy, most likely PU. A tarp out of PU would be very heavy.

Like I have said..im pretty much a newbie, what does the "PU" stand for?

jeffjenn
03-23-2009, 13:23
WSG, Give this (http://websearch.cs.com/gw/boomframe.jsp?query=pu+coated&page=1&offset=0&result_url=redir%3Fsrc%3Dwebsearch%26requestId%3Dc 8e8240e6c0ca4e9%26clickedItemRank%3D2%26userQuery% 3Dpu%2Bcoated%26clickedItemURN%3Dhttp%253A%252F%25 2Fwww.bushwalking.org.au%252FFAQ%252FFAQ_SiliconeV sPU.htm%26invocationType%3D-%26fromPage%3DGWYTop%26amp%3BampTest%3D1&remove_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bushwalking.org.au%2FF AQ%2FFAQ_SiliconeVsPU.htm) a quick once over.

Cannibal
03-23-2009, 13:30
Like I have said..im pretty much a newbie, what does the "PU" stand for?
"polyurethane"

warbonnetguy
03-23-2009, 14:35
water resistent implies it has a dwr treatment making it water resistent and still breathable (uncoated) to find out if an uncoated fabric is treated with dwr, put it over a glass and make a depression and pour a little water in. if it still doesn't leak after a few mins, and it's uncoated and breathable it has a dwr treatment.

to find out if a coated fabric is waterproof enough for a tarp, take a piece and stretch it tight between your hands, and put it an inch from the shower head and see if it mists through or not.