PDA

View Full Version : Mt Rogers Section Hike - Mar 28th

Rockdawg69
03-23-2009, 08:21
Okay Mt Rogers hangers, can I get over and across the Mt Rogers area to Atkins/Pearisburg VA with the following, or I do I need more insulation? Starting around Mar 28th. I am a cold sleeper. Day time is not an issue for cold.

HH ULBA; 20* bag; SPE w/ Z-Rest pad and wing pads; light weight thermals and wool socks for bedtime; fleece jacket for extra; poly cap; fleece gloves.

Trying to leave the Nest UQ and BA Air Core home to save space. Should I add a DDP/SB/other VB to help with bottom insulation?:confused:

Doctari
03-23-2009, 10:25
Where you starting? You going over MtRogers? Ending at Atkins?
Starting at Va. 600, Elk Garden & up (almost) over Mt Rogers, lots of sheltered areas for us to camp along here. It's a bit windy at the Thomas Knob Shelter & area, but mostly sheltered at Rhododendron gap less than 1 mile further, and you are on the (mostly) Lee side of the hill. There are alot of open areas along here, but not too bad, I did it with less, but my metabolisim is, , , , different, so I can stand a bit more cold than most. I did that section with a KAQ & 3/4 foam pad & a RayWay quilt w alpine up-grade & I was way warm.
My clothing was similar to yours & I rarely wore it.

Once you get to the Wise shelter, there are still a few open areas to pass thru, but they are shortish & you get alot of tree cover to warm up in after each. After the Old Orchard shelter it's "all trees" till Atkins so you are mostly out of the wind.

So: Yea, you should be good to go.

Rockdawg69
03-23-2009, 11:14
Starting at Damascus and plan to be no more than 3 nights getting to Troutville and another 3 or so to Atkins/US -11/I-81 junction. Once over the highlands, I was thinking I would be okay if we don't get another heavy winter storm/snow/etc.
Thanks for the info.

jeffjenn
03-23-2009, 12:26
Starting at Damascus and plan to be no more than 3 nights getting to Troutville and another 3 or so to Atkins/US -11/I-81 junction. Once over the highlands, I was thinking I would be okay if we don't get another heavy winter storm/snow/etc.
Thanks for the info.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but Damascus to Troutville is about 260mi. You can do this in 3 nights??? That's 65 miles per day for 4 days. :scared:

Doctari
03-23-2009, 12:35
K.
Plenty of hanging behind & around the Lost Mt shelter. Very sheltered area. Want a hernia, try to move the picnic table by yourself :D

Real nice trail to Elk Garden, it gets a bit tougher going up Mt rogers (loose rocks & stuff) but not bad overall.

Way cool stuff to see along the next few miles, Great views, Fat man's misery was fun, more great views, the world famous Wise shelter (could you look for my flutes?). After about 1 mile the trail is real nice, with a few PUDS to Old Orchard shelter.

I stopped at Lost Mt, Thomas Knob & Old orchard & was at Dicky gap by 1400 on day 4 then Trimpi shelter by 1630 day 4. The hike to Partnership was Very easy, I stoped often & did the distance by 1300 day 5. If you push it, you could be to Atkins late afternoon.

HINT: if you get Pizza from Pizza hut at partnership, GET EXTRA PIZZA SAUCE! Trust me on this!

Rockdawg69
03-24-2009, 20:12
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but Damascus to Troutville is about 260mi. You can do this in 3 nights??? That's 65 miles per day for 4 days. :scared:

Oh Yeah! I was day dreaming again. I meant Troutdale.

Rockdawg69
03-24-2009, 20:15
K.
Plenty of hanging behind & around the Lost Mt shelter. Very sheltered area. Want a hernia, try to move the picnic table by yourself :D

Real nice trail to Elk Garden, it gets a bit tougher going up Mt rogers (loose rocks & stuff) but not bad overall.

Way cool stuff to see along the next few miles, Great views, Fat man's misery was fun, more great views, the world famous Wise shelter (could you look for my flutes?). After about 1 mile the trail is real nice, with a few PUDS to Old Orchard shelter.

I stopped at Lost Mt, Thomas Knob & Old orchard & was at Dicky gap by 1400 on day 4 then Trimpi shelter by 1630 day 4. The hike to Partnership was Very easy, I stoped often & did the distance by 1300 day 5. If you push it, you could be to Atkins late afternoon.

HINT: if you get Pizza from Pizza hut at partnership, GET EXTRA PIZZA SAUCE! Trust me on this!

Thanks for info. First day out of Damascus will be 16 miles or 12 minimum, depending on my legs. Then I can start having fun.