PDA

View Full Version : Got to see where Clark's are made.

nwmanitou
03-23-2009, 17:46
Well, I'm new to the forum and to hammock camping. I've been reading everything I can about the various manufacturers. I've settled on using a homebuilt hammock for now, but lemme tell you, those Clark hammocks are nice. Turns out that I work just a few minutes away from Clark Outdoor Products, L.C. I gave em a call and they invited me in to see the hammocks first hand. Mr. Clark himself gave me the tour.

I'm really impressed with these hammocks. I'm 5' 10", gorilla stocky, 280lbs, and the NX200 was remarkably comfortable. Just about perfect in size and width. Guess I need to start saving my pennies.

Narwhalin
03-23-2009, 18:03
Wow! That must have been awesome...

Can you elaborate on the factory, how many people were there working, etc?...

Hoosier
03-23-2009, 18:12
I purchased a Clark Ultra Light just a year ago. I cant find enough..... time to spend in my hammock. After 30+ years of camping and tweeking my gear, I finally solved my comfort for sleeping. I have been very happy with my purchase and service from Clark and would highly recommed them.

nwmanitou
03-23-2009, 18:16
It was incredible. First you meet the Guards with submachineguns at the front gate who hand you an ID badge and sterile jumpsuit. Then they load you up on a sort of maglev golf cart and you head Through the massive blast doors into the side of the mountain. About 100 yrds down the brushed stainless steel tunnel, you reach an elevator that takes you down several hundred yards to the main portion of the facility....

Actually it was a two story building across the road from a stone and gravel business. From what he told me (and what I saw) they sew all the hammocks on site. I saw the piles of hammock materials on a table and in bins, and I caught a glimpse of people who were sewing away in a side room. Seemed like a modest operation. They also do screen printing. In fact, I think that the hammocks may be secondary if not just a portion of their total business. They had set up two hammocks for me to try on indoor stands.

All in all, Mr. Clark was very cordial and helpful. I really wish I could afford one of their hammocks. But my wife would peel my hide off to make her own hammock if I bought one.

Oh yeah, one more thing I mentioned to Mr. Clark that I'd love to get a hammock in other camo styles, particularily, Multicam. He seemed interested and asked for a little more info on multicam. Who knows? in a year or so might have something new.

Alan
03-23-2009, 19:34
That's cool! A personal tour from Mr. Clark?!? Wow! Thanks for sharing.

headchange4u
03-24-2009, 07:18
It would be cool to see some pictures or video of their facility, if they would allow it (hint, hint).

nwmanitou
03-24-2009, 11:18
Well, as far as taking pictures and video.. we aren't that close. But I'm sure that some of their staff might be on this forum, that may be an option.

It really was a modest operation with the hammocks as far as I could tell. I only got a glimps of the sewing room through an open door and didn't see more than a lady working on a sewing machine. Though it would have been cool to see a hammock in various stages of contsruction.