PDA

View Full Version : Emigrant Lake. Labor Day weekend?

mountaingoat
08-20-2013, 20:41
Anyone interested in a trip to Emigrant Lake the weekend of Labor Day? Maybe get to the trail head late Friday night and start early on Saturday?
Nothing planned yet, just checking if anyone is interested or has suggestions.

Sidewinder
08-21-2013, 08:42
I am up for something. Never been out to that lake. Can you give more details about what you had in mind? I'll have to check with the family to see if they'll let me go away that weekend.

S

mountaingoat
08-21-2013, 10:47
Hi Sidewinder. I am trying to retrieve info on a hike I did four years ago, with someone else navigating :(.
I know we started near Relief reservoir, crossed a couple foot bridges and hiked though Kennedy meadows , maybe 5 miles for this first stretch. Then another 5 or so to the lake.
When I search the trail I am getting info on a trip from Kennedy Meadown to the reservoir, but from my recollection the meadow was definitively not at a trail head. I believe there are two meadows by the same name.
Sorry for the confusion. I will ask at BPL where there are more local people.

Kapang!
08-21-2013, 16:33
Very interested. Keep us posted...

Edit: look around this site http://tahoetowhitney.com/TY-Sonora_Pass_to_Tuolumne/TY-Sonora_Pass_to_Tuolumne_Maps/kennedy-meadows-relief-reservoir-map.html#map

He's got a bunch of maps. It looks as though there's a pack trail from Kennedy Meadows (w/ footbridge) to relief and then across a couple meadows to Emigrant lakes. Hope it helps

Sidewinder
08-21-2013, 19:11
I found this link as well:

http://www.sonorapassvacations.com/hikes/emigrant_lake_hike.html

Can you make this, Kapang! ? would be good to see you again.

S

mountaingoat
08-21-2013, 19:36
That's the hike I would like to do again. We did it in one day and it wasn't bad at all. We hiked up through Mosquito Pass.
I would prefer to do the hike in one day, then maybe Lake hop, day hike and possibly fish.

Kapang!
08-21-2013, 20:20
I like to walk. But, fourteen miles sounds pretty ambitious for one day. Steady climb of 1000 ft. or so? We'd have to start really early. I can do it. Just not sure how happy my hips, feet and legs will be about it. If you don't mind me whining, I'm down. :)

mountaingoat
08-21-2013, 20:37
I like to walk. But, fourteen miles sounds pretty ambitious for one day. Steady climb of 1000 ft. or so? We'd have to start really early. I can do it. Just not sure how happy my hips, feet and legs will be about it. If you don't mind me whining, I'm down. :)

I am game. Just happy to get out ; we'll make it work for everyone. We can split it and take it easy :)

mountaingoat
08-21-2013, 20:42
Lunch meadow was beautiful. Maybe spend Saturday night there and day hike to Emigrant on Sunday?

Sidewinder
08-21-2013, 21:11
That's the hike I would like to do again. We did it in one day and it wasn't bad at all. We hiked up through Mosquito Pass.
I would prefer to do the hike in one day, then maybe Lake hop, day hike and possibly fish.

You said fish! That sounds great.

Do you mind if my dog comes? He's well behaved.
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/7/6/1/2/img_3283_original.jpg

S

mountaingoat
08-21-2013, 21:24
Love dogs.

Kapang!
08-22-2013, 09:06
I can vouch for Cody. He's awesome! But, it's a wilderness area, yes? Are there any restrictions on dogs? And, do we need to procure a permit in advance?

mountaingoat
08-22-2013, 09:27
I think dogs are fine there. A friend of mine will head up to Emigrant the same weekend with his dog as well. I will look into permits. If needed I can pick them up Friday night.

Kapang!
08-22-2013, 09:59
http://www.fs.usda.gov/detailfull/stanislaus/specialplaces/?cid=stelprdb5361242&width=full

Says nothin' bout dogs. Permits can be left in a box for pick up if you phone ahead. Looks like it's all good in the hood

And, no bear canister req'd. Woohoo!

Kapang!
08-23-2013, 19:23
I got the go ahead from Mrs Kapang B-)

mountaingoat
08-23-2013, 20:32
I talked to my friend that is heading up there late Friday night. Looks like they will be going along the same trail for a couple of miles, then veer off to Kennedy Lake, about 7 miles in. Then day hike on Sunday. That is an option too..Sounds like good fishing there. He's bringing two grown sons and they will be fishing.
I will be heading up Friday after work.

Kapang!
08-23-2013, 23:56
Not sure when I'll be leaving, yet. I'm starting back to school this week and have to see what the workload is like.

The Rim fire seems to keep expanding. Hope it does not impact the fun.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/3660

Oh, never mind. The fire is way southwest of where we are headed

mountaingoat
08-24-2013, 00:01
The Rim fire seems to keep expanding. Hope it does not impact the fun.

http://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/3660

Sounds like it might

Kapang!
08-24-2013, 00:04
Not unless something really drastic occurs. But, there may be smoke issues. Should we develop a plan B?

mountaingoat
08-24-2013, 00:12
Not unless something really drastic occurs. But, there may be smoke issues. Should we develop a plan B?

I think that's a good idea. I want to go hike/ hang so if that area is too smokey I still would like to head out. Any ideas?

Kapang!
08-24-2013, 01:03
I was just at Beyers lakes last weekend. But, I'd gladly do it again. I know Sidewinder was interested in checking it out. And, according to this guys blog, there's plenty of opportunities for more lake hikes. However, I think it's about a half hour extra driving if you're coming from south of the bay area.

http://tedmuller.us/Outdoor/Hiking/2013/130706-WagonWheelLakeLoop.htm

Directions from SC, CA: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=bowman+lake,+ca&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF-8&ei=VEsYUpLbKMm7iwKM-4DoDQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg

Mach9
08-24-2013, 10:21
So there are folks in my neck of the state. I'd love to make it, unfortunately I have to work, but, I will keep my eyes open for a trip I can make. You all have fun.

Kapang!
08-24-2013, 10:25
Welcome Mach9! Yep, we're here. Hopefully you can make it next time.

Sidewinder
08-24-2013, 12:02
That Rim fire is getting too close to Emigrant lake for comfort. Must be smokey there too.

Here are some other places to look at:

Tahoe Rim Trail
Plumas National Forest
Lassen National Forest, thousand lakes wilderness?
Ventana Wilderness

We'll have to keep in mind that this will be a crowded weekend in some places. I'm open for anything. Less smoke would be better though.

S

ssdivot
08-24-2013, 12:04
You guys may already know about this, but I just learned about this map page that shows the smoke pattern really usefully:

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

Then on right click the "active fires", and it shows the smoke.

I had tripped planned to take my friend on next week and spent all day yesterday researching alternatives, as the place I was going to take him is near where I live and it is quite smokey here and getting a little worse every day. I live off HWY 88 about halfway between the fire and the Beyer's lake area you guys are talking about and while I guess everyone's tolerance would be different, in my opinion it is pretty bad. I can see the smoke hanging in the air like a low fog and the smell is getting quite obnoxious. Gets a little better later in the day.

I figured out several options for my trip all of which involve long drives though, going either to Caribou Wilderness, or more likely south to Ansel Adams Wilderness, or possibly the Kaiser Wilderness. Even though annoying, its nothing compared to those poor people who live near the fire itself worrying about their homes or having to evacuate :(

Kapang!
08-24-2013, 12:20
Thanks for the heads up, ssdivot. I'm grateful.

That Rim fire is getting too close to Emigrant lake for comfort. Must be smokey there too.

Here are some other places to look at:

Tahoe Rim Trail
Plumas National Forest
Lassen National Forest, thousand lakes wilderness?
Ventana Wilderness

We'll have to keep in mind that this will be a crowded weekend in some places. I'm open for anything. Less smoke would be better though.

S

Lassen is awesome. I was there last year and there's no fires near there except one that is 100% contained. A bit of a haul from the bay, but, I'm right off I-5. If anyone wants to carpool.

Entering from Warner valley, there are a myriad of loop options. Take a look at the park map (scroll down bottom left) http://www.nps.gov/lavo/index.htm

Kapang!
08-24-2013, 12:55
Lakes Basin in Plumas looks pretty awesome too. And, a bit closer.

One guy's adventure tp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KK2i60qwmw4

http://www.everytrail.com/guide/lakes-basin-plumas-national-forest/map

http://www.mytopo.com/previews/preview_view.cfm?previewfn=1536493&previewurl=1536493&previewthumburl=1536493&res=full

Sidewinder
08-24-2013, 14:43
You guys may already know about this, but I just learned about this map page that shows the smoke pattern really usefully:

http://www.wunderground.com/wundermap/

Then on right click the "active fires", and it shows the smoke.

I had tripped planned to take my friend on next week and spent all day yesterday researching alternatives, as the place I was going to take him is near where I live and it is quite smokey here and getting a little worse every day. I live off HWY 88 about halfway between the fire and the Beyer's lake area you guys are talking about and while I guess everyone's tolerance would be different, in my opinion it is pretty bad. I can see the smoke hanging in the air like a low fog and the smell is getting quite obnoxious. Gets a little better later in the day.

I figured out several options for my trip all of which involve long drives though, going either to Caribou Wilderness, or more likely south to Ansel Adams Wilderness, or possibly the Kaiser Wilderness. Even though annoying, its nothing compared to those poor people who live near the fire itself worrying about their homes or having to evacuate :(

Very good map. Scary when you zoom out and have a look at all what is burning.

S

Mach9
08-24-2013, 14:47
Fire is bad, even worse is the huge smoke impacted area. I haven't been up to lassen in years. Great area as I recall.

mountaingoat
08-25-2013, 13:11
Dinky creek? Any interest of going there?

Kapang!
08-25-2013, 14:31
Aspen fire 20 miles to the north. http://wxug.us/17ibn

I'm liking Plumas more and more as I research. Lotsa lakes, good fishing, accepts dogs, no bear cans, no nearby fires.

Sidewinder
08-25-2013, 15:01
I read about the aspen fire, they say that it's about 80% contained. Most of the smoke from the fires are blowing Northeast. If we stay to the south/west it might be ok to got to Dinky Creek. I'm not sure what the acceptable distatance is from a fire one would be considered safe. Maybe a call to the ranger station would be a good idea. I'm not opposed to the Plumas either.

S

Kapang!
08-25-2013, 16:54
Maybe a call to the ranger station would be a good idea.

S

I did. Aspen fire is not a problem at all. But, told her we were thinking about Dinkey and she only has a small # of walk in permits for L day weekend. She seemed to be more positive about our prospects at Kaiser Wilderness. Potter pass and sample trailheads are open now and they will be deciding on opening more, this coming week.

We should get the destination nailed down quickly to reserve a permit. Do we have 3 (+ Cody) in the group?

ssdivot
08-25-2013, 17:04
Sorry to keep butting into your thread here, but its just funny because it is so paralleling my own experience trying to change trip plans due to this fire.

I had ended up with same choices, Kaiser (Twin Lakes), Ansel Adams (Vandeburgh Lake area...this was my first choice it looks awesome!), Dinky Lakes (I'd like to go there but I wanted to go in the west trailhead and can't figure out if my car would make it down the road..I have ford escape..didn't really want to go in that eastern trailhead), and Caribou Wilderness. The only place I've been before is the Caribou Wilderness and that was my first backpacking trip ever about 13 years ago.

I left it up to my friend (this is only his second trip) as to where he'd like to go because he probably won't get chance for another trip this summer. He chose Caribou even though I cautioned him that its supposed to be super windy. So we'll see how that goes. Leaving in the morning!

I hope you guys have a great trip!

Kapang!
08-25-2013, 17:47
I appreciate it ssdivot. You'll be beating the crowds by gettin out early. Enjoy and I expect a trip report and pics when you're done. :)

mountaingoat
08-25-2013, 19:18
I am in, Kapang.

Kapang!
08-25-2013, 22:28
Cool. I'll see if I can call and reserve a permit, tomorrow. I'm pretty sure you can put alot of people on one permit (like more than five). Hope no one minds hangin' with a ground dweller :)

Sidewinder
08-26-2013, 00:33
I'm in. Where are going?

S

Kapang!
08-26-2013, 14:40
We are too late to reserve a permit. They only do them by mail. But, 40% of the permits are for walk in. I suggest we shoot for grabbing a permit at Prather ranger sta. on Fri., with the Sample trailhead as our first option, if that's cool w/ everyone. It's close to a campground for the Fri. night arrivals. I should be able to get there mid afternoon on Fri. However, I'm still not sure what my lab schedule will be like. So, I'm a bit up-in-the-air in that regard. I'll know more about when I can arrive after tomorrow.

As it stands, Kaiser Wilderness, upper Twin Lakes. Sound good?

Sidewinder
08-26-2013, 15:21
Never been there, but sounds good. I will do some research and check it out.

S

Kapang!
08-27-2013, 09:38
OMG, as of yesterday, Kaiser Wilderness is closed! http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/sierra/alerts-notices/?aid=19652

I'll call, today and find out what's going on. I just can't believe it. Grrr!

mountaingoat
08-27-2013, 13:47
Well, I changed my plans. I am sorry if this messes up anyone else!
I have a chance of hiking the Skyline to the Sea trail this weekend. Hard to believe I have not done this trail before, but not having to drive so far is very appealing to me.
I live less than 10 minutes from the west end of the trail, Waddell Creek.
29.5 miles, point to point.
Again, my apologies if I started this thread and now part ways.

Sidewinder
08-27-2013, 19:48
Well, I changed my plans. I am sorry if this messes up anyone else!
I have a chance of hiking the Skyline to the Sea trail this weekend. Hard to believe I have not done this trail before, but not having to drive so far is very appealing to me.
I live less than 10 minutes from the west end of the trail, Waddell Creek.
29.5 miles, point to point.
Again, my apologies if I started this thread and now part ways.

Have fun. I'm sure we'll meet up further down the trail someday.

S

Kapang!
08-27-2013, 20:26
Too bad, MG. Next time, for sure....

mountaingoat
08-27-2013, 22:06
Thanks for being nice about this!
Look forward to next time.
The idea of getting out without the drive was just too appealing given that I am feeling a bit tired..

Mach9
09-04-2013, 19:28
So how was the outing?

Sidewinder
09-04-2013, 19:45
Kapang! and I had a great time! it was awesome and epic at times. the dog had fun too. I'll have to download some pics and do a trip report. We ended up in the Plumas National Forest.

S

Kapang!
09-05-2013, 10:09
The scenery was exceptional! Postcards views around every turn. Great trip!

Mach9
09-11-2013, 11:47
Sounds like fun, wish I could've made it