PDA

View Full Version : MO>Ozark Trail>November 13-17

Skygzr
08-23-2013, 16:23
Ok the thread is officially started. the Plan at the moment is Hwy 8 (Berryman Campground) to Hwy A including Bell Mountain Loop. Approximately 47 miles.
I will throw out some itenerary in the next few days and everyone can jump in with any ideas.

List of Participants:

skygzr (and maybe significant other)
Hoot
Ramen Shamen
Kerflop

Snopes
08-24-2013, 00:34
Mind if I join?

Not 100% sure I can make it, but the route you picked is the exact one I have been looking at for the past couple of months.

Gideon
08-25-2013, 14:08
Hi Skygzr; I won't commit at this point but would like to make this one. I'm coming off a bad knee injury so I don't know if I'll be in shape by then; that along with a new job and it might be tough but it sounds like a simply outstanding hike.

I always thought I liked warm weather hiking/hammocking but I'm starting to think I enjoy the colder weather events even more.

Thanks for putting something out there.

Pyro and I are planning a short easy over nighter sometime in September. When we finalize our plans I'll put it out there for anyone to join us. It'll be a chance to get the knee going again.

Enjoy the new week!
Gideon

Kerflop
08-26-2013, 11:03
This is gonna be a blast. I personally do not care who joins us, as long as you can keep up... :) I hear Ramen moves like the wind.

rngn
08-26-2013, 17:18
Ok the thread is officially started. the Plan at the moment is Hwy 8 (Berryman Campground) to Hwy A including Bell Mountain Loop. Approximately 47 miles.
I will throw out some itenerary in the next few days and everyone can jump in with any ideas.

List of Participants:

skygzr (and maybe significant other)
Hoot
Ramen Shamen
Kerflop

I did that section last year, Cost me two toe nails ,Its brutal But a good brutal lots of elevation changes. Especially the last 10 to 20 miles. If you guys know approximately where you are going to be Thursday night I could meet you guys.

digitizer101
08-26-2013, 20:25
I would love to go on this hike. I will have to check with the wife and verify how much vacation I have. I will keep an eye on this and let you guys know.

Disco
09-02-2013, 07:44
My new job is keeping me very busy and I dont have any vacation to spare, but I might be able to join you guys on Friday night if it works out.

Skygzr
09-02-2013, 08:46
My new job is keeping me very busy and I dont have any vacation to spare, but I might be able to join you guys on Friday night if it works out.

I will work on maps and iternary this week- just been very hectic for me as well this month- sorry for the delay in details

Kerflop
09-02-2013, 10:15
Sounds good Disco... Work has been busy for me too... Skygzr, I look forward to seeing the plan. :)

Skygzr
09-02-2013, 12:31
Wednesday Nov 13 Day 1
• Meet at the Berryman Campground off Hwy 8 by mid afternoon and shuttle car/cars to Hwy A parking lot- return to Berryman and hang in the campground ( can explore Berryman Trail and loosen up) car camping food and adjust gear as needed

Thursday Nov 14 Day 2
• Start from Berryman campground OTMM 32. Hike to Hazel Creek Trailhead OTMM45.
As I recall this section can be a bit boggy and overgrown, but plenty of water available and a good first day of 13 miles. The Hazel Creek trailhead is a primitive spot , but does have fire ring and picnic tables

Friday Nov 15 Day 3
• OTMM45 to OTMM59 from Hazel Creek Trailhead to Nazarenko Spring (just before junction with Council Bluff Lake loop trail. 14 miles*. Relatively straight forward section with your typical trail- up to a ridge line and then down to the creekbed.

Saturday Nov 16 Day 4
• OTMM59 to Hwy A trail head OTMM70. Evaluation of physical ability- arrival time around 1-2 pm. We can stay at the Hwy A trail head and camp. Leaving Sunday morning for anyone that wants to hike up to Bell Mountain in the morning as a day hike and return before going home- or continue on up to Bell Mountain to camp for Saturday night. This would be an additional 6 miles for a total on Saturday of 17 miles*

Sunday Nov 17 Day 5
• Hike out down the way you came or finish the Bell Mountain loop 6 miles. Pile in and shuttle back to Berryman Campsite.

*if you push on to the Big River on Day 3 you make Day 3, 16 miles, but reduce Day 4 to 15 miles

Suggestions, comments

hairbear
09-02-2013, 16:56
Sounds good to me.

Skygzr
09-02-2013, 19:43
Mind if I join?

Not 100% sure I can make it, but the route you picked is the exact one I have been looking at for the past couple of months.

not at all- come on and join in

Skygzr
09-02-2013, 19:47
I did that section last year, Cost me two toe nails ,Its brutal But a good brutal lots of elevation changes. Especially the last 10 to 20 miles. If you guys know approximately where you are going to be Thursday night I could meet you guys.

Thursday night should be easy to find us at Hazel Creek and if you need someone to take you back to a car there, I can do that. :shades:

rngn
09-03-2013, 17:51
Thursday night should be easy to find us at Hazel Creek and if you need someone to take you back to a car there, I can do that. :shades:

Sounds great. I cant wait!!!!

Kerflop
09-03-2013, 17:53
If there is a way to stay the night at bell without a 16 mile day that would be great. If not, then oh well. Can we start early in Weds? For those of is on the western side of the state, we could drive late on Tuesday to be there for a morning start.

momedic
09-07-2013, 15:59
Don't forget Nov 16th is opening day for rifle season, i'd bring some blaze orange.
I am interested but my new supervisor seems to enjoy playing musical schedules so Ill have to wait untill its a bit closer.

Hoot
09-10-2013, 19:12
This is gonna be a blast. I personally do not care who joins us, as long as you can keep up... :) I hear Ramen moves like the wind.

Ramen moves slow now. He tweaked his Knee at work. He is not planning on attending.

Skygzr
09-10-2013, 19:19
Ramen moves slow now. He tweaked his Knee at work. He is not planning on attending.

will he be better in time to make the hike in November?

Kerflop
09-16-2013, 16:22
Crap, haven't had time to check the forum and when I do I see that RS is out.... That sucks.

Skygzr
09-16-2013, 16:24
Crap, haven't had time to check the forum and when I do I see that RS is out.... That sucks.

I haven't heard if he will be better by then either?

Kerflop
09-16-2013, 16:25
I took Hoot's comment to mean that he wasn't going on this trip.

rngn
10-22-2013, 17:07
So are we still a go november hang?????

Skygzr
10-22-2013, 17:21
So are we still a go november hang?????

As far as I know we are all still a go. I have it on the calendar

rngn
10-28-2013, 18:18
Well its happened again, I was planning on making this trip but then my wife tells me she going to in-laws for that week. so unless something changes I will not make it. "life is fubar".

Skygzr
10-28-2013, 18:32
Well its happened again, I was planning on making this trip but then my wife tells me she going to in-laws for that week. so unless something changes I will not make it. "life is fubar".

Perfect - the wife goes to the in laws and you come hanging.

rngn
10-28-2013, 18:37
Perfect - the wife goes to the in laws and you come hanging.

I know right ,I wish it was that easy.

Hoot
10-29-2013, 11:16
No word on the physical status of Ramen as of yet.

I assume he is doing better, he also has been MIA - Must have a New Girlfriend.

I'm good for whatever this run. Just point and prod - i'll move that direction.

2 more weeks and :D 's for me!

Kerflop
10-30-2013, 09:35
And I am all married up and back from the Caribbean... I was speaking with Hoot yesterday. Gonna sync with Skygzr and finalize the plan. I am so looking forward to this trip...

RADIOHEAD
10-30-2013, 11:55
Ok if I tag along? I should be able to keep up with everyone without too much trouble. I gots my base load down to 50 pound:s now! :lol:

Skygzr
10-30-2013, 12:32
And I am all married up and back from the Caribbean... I was speaking with Hoot yesterday. Gonna sync with Skygzr and finalize the plan. I am so looking forward to this trip...

super cool:lol:

Hoot
10-30-2013, 23:25
Ok if I tag along? I should be able to keep up with everyone without too much trouble. I gots my base load down to 50 pound:s now! :lol:

Are you Kidding me? :lol: 50 Pounds :lol:

All that UL Gear you been buying... I am betting you Are more around 47 pounds :D

RADIOHEAD
10-31-2013, 00:18
Are you Kidding me? :lol: 50 Pounds :lol:

All that UL Gear you been buying... I am betting you Are more around 47 pounds :D

Nah! With my Clark NX, JRB UQ, sleeping bag, food, cook gear, and 2 qts water I am coming in at just shy of 30 pounds. Amazing how much weight it shed when i took away tha cappuccino maker, satellite dish, and chainsaw! :-D

Hoot
10-31-2013, 19:18
Nah! With my Clark NX, JRB UQ, sleeping bag, food, cook gear, and 2 qts water I am coming in at just shy of 30 pounds. Amazing how much weight it shed when i took away tha cappuccino maker, satellite dish, and chainsaw! :-D

No More Fresh Brewed Vanilla Cappuccino's! I no longer desire to hike with you sir...

Hoot
10-31-2013, 20:02
Head count

Skygzr (Possibly the boss)
Kerflop
Hoot

Hairbear?
Annnd?

digitizer101
11-01-2013, 10:23
Hey everyone, sorry I have been out of commission for a while but, I am very much thinking about making this one if there is room for one more. I am checking with work and my better half now to see if I can schedule it in.

I will check back soon.

Hoot
11-01-2013, 12:21
Hey everyone, sorry I have been out of commission for a while but, I am very much thinking about making this one if there is room for one more. I am checking with work and my better half now to see if I can schedule it in.

I will check back soon.

Of Course there is room! Skygzr can even carry your gear! :lol:

triforresttri
11-01-2013, 13:00
Just got a hammock. I haven't hung it yet, not sure if I can stay warm enough overnight, don't have a stove and my pack is questionable. As much as I'd like to join in on this, it's not quite the right timing. Hope you guys have a great time! I'll be living vicariously through you, so take some pics. I look forward to joining you on the next one.

Kerflop
11-01-2013, 13:08
And not to scare anyone off, but we will have limited day light with decent miles. We aren't going to be sprinting, but we will be going at a good pace... Up early and on our way most likely.

Hoot and Skygzr, correct me if I am wrong... :)

Skygzr
11-02-2013, 06:29
we are going to have a conference call to discuss logistics for the hike. If anyone wants to join in that doesn't already have the details just PM me and I will give you the secret code to join us. :lol:

Hoot
11-03-2013, 13:04
Hoot is Out... Matter of fact I will be out for a good while. Nothing for me this season or Possibly the next.

Personal Issues just screwed me long term. Nothing would ever keep me down from what I love but this is Drastic and will take even more Drastic Measures.

Sorry to all of my Hiking friends. I will keep in touch as I troll your trip reports and Live Life Vicariously through your adventures.

Happy Miles, Stay safe, all that stuff.

Kerflop
11-03-2013, 13:30
Crap!!! Nothing more to say :(

Kerflop
11-06-2013, 11:55
Just to update everyone... We have a plan.

Attendees:
Kerflop
Skygzr
Hoot (WOOO HOOO, was a little worried there)

The Plan:
Hoot and I are coming from KC, so we are going to head down after work on Tuesday night. We will drive right to Hwy A trailhead where we are going to make camp for the night. According to Skygzr, there is a place with a fire ring and trees to hang from. Weds, Skygzr will meet us at Hwy A and we will pile into his vehicle (leaving mine at Hwy A), and head to the Berryman trailhead. We talked about being on the trail by 10 am. Weds night, we will stop at the Hazel Creek Camp for the day. Day 2, Thursday, we will attempt to make it to somewhere around mile marker 59 (see the OT maps linked below)... Friday, don't remember exactly where we were going to stop, but it will be somewhere before Hwy a trail head. Day 3, Saturday we are headed to Bell Mnt. This is the part that I really am looking forward to seeing. We are looking to stay the night on Bell on Saturday. Sunday, up early and out so we can grab some grub and headed home.

If anyone else is planning on going, contact us here or reach out to Skygzr, Hoot or myself so we don't leave without you.

OT Maps - http://www.ozarktrail.com/planner/tripmaps.php?id=526

fuhgawee
11-16-2013, 09:38
Looking forward the stories and pics. Bet it was pourfect!

Skygzr
11-16-2013, 14:36
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1133961#post1133961

and here directly in 4 parts
http://mustexplore.blogspot.com/2013/11/ozark-trail-hike-berryman-campground-to.html

fuhgawee
11-17-2013, 18:06
Good pics,like the tarp in the woods with the sun setting.

Kerflop
11-18-2013, 11:03
Sorry about being late to respond, but I have been resting up and staying away from the computer. Anyways, I wanted to thank both Skygzr and Hoot for a wonderful time... Even though it wasn't exactly what we planned, I do call this a success. It was loads of fun, even though I was sure I was going to freeze to death on Tuesday night :) . My leg is fine, although still very sore. No serious damage and I should be back out in the backcountry soon. If you guys haven't been on the OT, you need too... The section we did was beautiful and unforgiving. We had ample water, the weather was beautiful and the company was second to none. Looking forward to my next trip on the OT...