PDA

View Full Version : Cheyenne area

toddhunter
08-25-2013, 15:10
Traveling through WY on way from Chicago to SF and want to find a couple of days to hike, fish and hang. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks!

swankfly
08-25-2013, 17:44
Not a lot of trees, but they have picnic shelters that are perfect to hang from...the North Platte river, huge trout and lots of them. There are public campsites that were completely unused when I was there in July. Look on a map for Alcova, WY and downstream from there it just keeps getting better. If you want a guide or lodge, try out the North Platte Lodge, Trent and Katherine Tatum have a first class facility.

When you leave there head NW and go to the Winds!

pgibson
08-25-2013, 18:29
Second the Winds. On that wrote it would be way better than right along the HWY. Or drop south into the Uinta Mountains in northern Utah.

toddhunter
08-26-2013, 16:26
These suggestions are right on track and have me pumped. Now I could use more detail. Can/should I contact you guys directly? I need to find out how far these areas are from I-80, accessibility to places to camp/fish etc.

pgibson
08-26-2013, 16:36
These suggestions are right on track and have me pumped. Now I could use more detail. Can/should I contact you guys directly? I need to find out how far these areas are from I-80, accessibility to places to camp/fish etc.

Either area is going to be several hours off the freeway. Winds more so that the north end of the Uinta's but you could get a good ways out with either if you wanted to. If your going to spend a couple days then it's not way out of the way...if just for a few hours and back on the road then may not be worth it. Fishing is top quality with either. I have not spent any time in the Winds but have talked with lots of folks that have and read lots of trip reports. Neither would dissapoint if your looking for amazing scenery, mountains, lakes, fish and a total change from the horridly boring drive across southern Wyoming. :mellow:

swankfly
08-26-2013, 17:22
Yes, I only suggested either locations because they were heading in a general westward direction, towards CA and shoot if he has already driven from Chicago, well...

toddhunter
08-27-2013, 15:19
Have any of you got some contact numbers for more details? Fly shops or whatever?

pgibson
08-27-2013, 15:22
I know there is a fly shop in Pinedale WY....don't have their number but I am sure they are on the web. Don't know of a shop near the Uinta's that would be specific to them.

But fishing lakes up high this time of year...chuck a hopper pattern, or most any other attractor and you will get action. The fish are greedy in the lakes up high this time of year...they can feel winter coming on and will attack almost anything that hits the water within 30 feet of them.

toddhunter
08-27-2013, 18:10
Yikes, who could resist?!

toddhunter
08-30-2013, 11:47
Any reason not to consider Estes Park/RMNP?

pgibson
08-30-2013, 12:12
Any reason not to consider Estes Park/RMNP?

Much more crowded then the other two but a beautifull area as well. I thought the west side of RMNP was much nicer and far reduced crowds than the east side.

BillyBob58
08-30-2013, 16:38
Not a lot of trees, but they have picnic shelters that are perfect to hang from...the North Platte river, huge trout and lots of them. There are public campsites that were completely unused when I was there in July. Look on a map for Alcova, WY and downstream from there it just keeps getting better. If you want a guide or lodge, try out the North Platte Lodge, Trent and Katherine Tatum have a first class facility.

When you leave there head NW and go to the Winds!

Second the Winds. On that wrote it would be way better than right along the HWY. Or drop south into the Uinta Mountains in northern Utah.

Roger all of this. I think the Uintas will be quicker to get from I80 than up into the Winds, but if you have a couple of days either will be fine. Either leave I80 at Rock Springs, go north on 191 to Farson, eat in a great sandwhich shop there, and ask directions locally to Big Sandy Campground at 9100 feet, maybe 80 or 90 miles from I80. Hang in or near(if you have water) the campground or hike from 1 to 6 miles along Big Sandy River ( trout!) either camping along the river or at Big Sandy Lake after 6 miles. You won't be disappointed if weather is good, and probably will be. There are 2 closer lakes to hike to, that are still real scenic, V lake and Diamond lake, but you veer off of the main Big Sandy Lake trail.

Or go a little further west on I80 to Evanston, turn south into UT on HWY 150 and go from 28 to 45 miles all the way up to Mirror Lake or campgrounds along the way. Either way will be beautiful!

Enlarge these maps by clicking on them:

Rock Springs WY north off I80 to Big Sandy Campground/Lake in Wind Rivers WY
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/2/9/rock_springs_to_big_sandy_thumb.jpg (https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=21723&c=11)

Evanston WY south off I80 to Mirror Lake 10000 ft and Uints East West Divide 13000+ ft in High Uintas, UT
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/2/9/evanston_wy_to_mirror_lake_uintas_ut_thumb.jpg (https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=21722&c=11)

toddhunter
09-03-2013, 10:38
Great options, but I think the Uintas and maybe the Winds may be a little far to get to the second day out of Chicago. (how do you pronounce Uintas?) If I gather enough information, I can play it by ear.
PG, what are you referring to as on the western side of RMNP?

2eez4life
09-03-2013, 11:27
Have any of you got some contact numbers for more details? Fly shops or whatever?

My suggestion would be to check out flaming gorge for your fishing kick! There is a fly shop at the flaming gorge resort. From there you can Explore Ashley national forest or even better Utah's high Uintah's! There are a million pristine lakes and basins that have fish in them. The scenery is absolutely spectacular, one of my all time favorite places to be! and when you have Utah's variety of landscape, that is saying something!

pgibson
09-09-2013, 18:54
PG, what are you referring to as on the western side of RMNP?

Anything on the west side of the continental divide. I only had part of one day in the park years ago but the western side was nicer from what I saw and have read/seen in video of the hiking and fishing in the park.

http://www.rocky.mountain.national-park.com/map.htm