PDA

View Full Version : ENO DBL vs HH Expedition

dkurfiss
08-27-2013, 08:02
I have started a new "project" that will continue for the next 52 weeks or until I have a good comfort level with all my camping gear in all weather condition. My goal is to spend 1 night per week sleeping in my camping gear or 52 nights total. Since I have 3 hammocks and 3 tents along with a bunch of misc. gear to "test" it will certainly take some time.

Let me start this out by saying this is my impression and experience. Yours might be very different and is no indication of poor quality by any vendor.

Height: 5'2"
Weight: below 200 above 100 but still too much :lol:
Weather Conditions: very mild. over night temps in high 60's, no wind, low humidity (for No. VA)
Common Equipment: DIY Hammock stand, Kelty 12x12 Noah, The Nest UQ, PLTQ

ENO DBL has ridge line installed @ approximately 30degree along with ENO Bug net

HH Expedition is stock with no mods except for tarp change out as noted above.

For me the HH is the clear winner in this "sleep out". I went to "bed" at about the same time both nights. With the HH I was able to sleep all night and woke up refreshed with no body aches beyond what old age brings me.

With the ENO after 2 hours in the hammock I woke up with a sore back, sore neck, and even my left leg was sore. I was uncomfortable enough that I was unable to go back to sleep so after laying there for an hour, I went into the house to my comfy bed :D

I am sure I could "fiddle" with the ridge line on the ENO, perhaps change the height of head vs foot, put something under my legs, etc, etc but that was not the point. The point was to just hang both units, not "fiddle" around with them and see which was the most comfy because that is the one I am going to take camping with me. I have no wish to spend time messing around to get a unit perfect. I want to hang it and forget it. I was able to do that with the HH but not with the ENO.

Bobbinheadlodge
08-27-2013, 10:49
I'm very interested in your research. I am about to embark into hammock camping, after a month of constant research. I'm starting with a pair of grandturk ultralights with the intent to develop interest in my kids and pass on to my daughter when I upgrade to a different unit. I have been reading alot about DIY silnylon tarps, and DIY bugnets so will start there and was thinking of perhaps adding those to an ENO DN.

I have spent alot of time reading about the HH, but the price of the ultralight asym keeps me at bay for now. My knees have always been an issue, so I want to shave weight where at all possible, without refinancing my future. 3+ lbs, seems like alot of weight but your post sums it up, there is no exchange for a good nights sleep.

Anyhoo, I'd be interested in hanging from time to time if my life as a Dad permits it. I live in the Lorton area.

dkurfiss
08-27-2013, 11:24
The next hammock/gear I am going to be setting up to work with is The Handy Hammock Stand http://theultimatehang.com/2012/12/handy-hammock-stand-review/ This is a link to Derek's (The Ultimate Hang) review.

I purchased the Handy Hammock stand earlier this year in a group buy that was done on HF but have just not had enough time to play with. I find that to be the case with a bunch of my gear from cooking stoves & pots to hammocks and stands. Hence the challenge I have set up for myself. I am going out of town until mid Sept. so will end up not getting to test any gear until I get home.

I would love to swap stories with you and get together to show of gear, do some hanging. I have found two locations locally that welcome hammock campers. Prince William Park (in the primitive area) and Pohick Bay Park (hang em where ever you want). The VA State parks want you to keep all camping gear on their pads which contain no trees so putting up a hammock w/o a stand is a bit of a challenge :lol:

dkurfiss
08-27-2013, 11:27
I have spent alot of time reading about the HH, but the price of the ultralight asym keeps me at bay for now. My knees have always been an issue, so I want to shave weight where at all possible, without refinancing my future. 3+ lbs, seems like alot of weight but your post sums it up, there is no exchange for a good nights sleep.

Keep a close eye out. HH normally does a fall sale on their stock items, rip/tears (which they repair), one off things. I picked up my Expedition last year, entire kit including tarp, skins, tree straps, for under 100.00 shipped. It had a small tear in the screening which they repaired.

Bobbinheadlodge
08-27-2013, 12:48
Good information, I'll keep an eye out. Thanks.

Tinmar
08-27-2013, 21:10

I would love to swap stories with you and get together to show of gear, do some hanging. I have found two locations locally that welcome hammock campers. Prince William Park (in the primitive area) and Pohick Bay Park (hang em where ever you want). The VA State parks want you to keep all camping gear on their pads which contain no trees so putting up a hammock w/o a stand is a bit of a challenge :lol:

Bull Run Park is also good with hammocks.. My Son I hang there often. We do plan to hang at PWF some time in the next couple of weeks now that they allow hammocks.

dkurfiss
08-27-2013, 21:19
Bull Run Park is also good with hammocks.. My Son I hang there often. We do plan to hang at PWF some time in the next couple of weeks now that they allow hammocks.

Sounds like we should do a No. Va hang around

Tinmar
08-27-2013, 21:24
Sounds like we should do a No. Va hang around

We tried to get one going at BRP last fall with slim results. There may be more hangers in NOVA now. PWF looks like a good spot.

Tinmar
08-29-2013, 20:58
Are you going to make the fall MAHHA Hang in OCT? Maybe we can have a NOVA group section. Would also love to see that BRIT hammock stand.

dkurfiss
08-30-2013, 05:59
Are you going to make the fall MAHHA Hang in OCT? Maybe we can have a NOVA group section. Would also love to see that BRIT hammock stand.

I wish but I already have plans for that weekend :(

Bobbinheadlodge
10-21-2013, 16:28
Took your advice on the Oct sale, I am now the proud owner of a HH backpacker ultralight!

dkurfiss
10-21-2013, 19:32
Took your advice on the Oct sale, I am now the proud owner of a HH backpacker ultralight!

I purchased an HH Explorer at the sale an OMG, it is so much more comfy than the Expedition is for me.