PDA

View Full Version : Olive Drab sylnylon/uncoated ripstop?

funbun
03-25-2007, 07:18
Okay, where can I get olive colored materials? I'm a military wanna be.

I want to make a whole new hammock set up with all Olive colored stuff. I need uncoated stuff for under/overquilts, and sylnylon for tarp. I've already got plenty of "noseeum" netting, and my current supports are olive drab and black.

Just Jeff
03-25-2007, 07:43
I got uncoated 1.9 oz and 1.1 oz DWR (better for quilts than uncoated) from Walmart....might still be some running around if you have one near you that hasn't closed the fabric section.

Haven't found OD silnylon.

IIRC, Quest Outfitters had some last time I checked.

blackbishop351
03-25-2007, 11:31
OWFinc has olive 1.1 oz. DWR seconds. I think the color is about right, but I've heard that the material quality can vary widely from order to order.

blackie
03-25-2007, 20:37
for the real wanna be try sportsmans guide..they have full military parachutes for 60 bucks( lines are cut but maiterial is uncut) and those are sil-nylon make a couple of tarps hammocks quilts ect...good luck

Just Jeff
03-25-2007, 23:00
The chutes we used in SERE weren't waterproof.

lvleph
03-26-2007, 07:40
Speer has 1.9oz chocolate. Not olive, but...

blackbishop351
03-26-2007, 12:55
Speer has 1.9oz chocolate. Not olive, but...

A note on Ed's "chocolate brown"...for interested parties, it's almost exactly the same color as the nylon on my HH ULB body. Really nice color. Maybe others of you imagined it that way, but for some reason "chocolate" didn't click with me until I actually saw it :p

lvleph
03-26-2007, 13:15
A note on Ed's "chocolate brown"...for interested parties, it's almost exactly the same color as the nylon on my HH ULB body. Really nice color. Maybe others of you imagined it that way, but for some reason "chocolate" didn't click with me until I actually saw it :p
Yeah, I didn't want to call it chocolate, but that is what it is called on the site.

gibmo
09-25-2007, 14:25
I came across some olive silnylon at Textile Outfitters on page 24 of their online catalog.
http://www.justmakeit.com/pdf/TOI2007.pdf
I called the 888 number. The salesperson said they had 6 meters left on the roll and they normally keep it in stock. The cost is fairly high especially with shipping (see page 77) to US.

stoikurt
09-25-2007, 21:11
Whew, $20/m is quite high. I'd love to have some OD Green Sil but that's too steep for me. The material alone would cost about $150 for a BlackCat.:eek:

Rapt
09-26-2007, 07:19
Yeah, we really get screwed up here in Canada... Most places are still pricing things like there's a 50% exchange rate, instead of being at par...

That said they do have good sales sometimes... I paid $4/m for goretex one time.

NCPatrick
09-26-2007, 07:37
Yeah, we really get screwed up here in Canada... Most places are still pricing things like there's a 50% exchange rate, instead of being at par...

That said they do have good sales sometimes... I paid $4/m for goretex one time.

Well, at least there's OD silnylon for sale there. It's nearly impossible to find OD or Camo Sil anywhere in this country. My 'tinfoil hat' conspiracy theory is that the military has giant warehouses full of the stuff under guard, lock and key for their own purposes. :rolleyes:

Oh crud! ... now they know I know! :eek: :D

Rapt
09-26-2007, 07:41
Scary thing is that's a good possibility.

7075 Al is very hard to get these days because its what's used in weapons manufacture, so most of it goes there. The military machine is a big consumer.

skar578
10-07-2007, 19:37
woah, rapt where did you get the $4/yd gortex?! i gotta look out for those deals!

BTW what good would waterproof/ breathable material? It couldnt be used as a tarp could it?

Take-a-knee
10-07-2007, 20:19
WP breathable could be used for a tarp but it would be heavy and a waste of the product. It might have a hammock application

warbonnetguy
10-07-2007, 20:49
i didn't know sil came in camo.

the marine digital is the good stuff, its woodland colors instead of the regular grey digital, can't find it anywhere. not in ripstop anyway.

Well, at least there's OD silnylon for sale there. It's nearly impossible to find OD or Camo Sil anywhere in this country. My 'tinfoil hat' conspiracy theory is that the military has giant warehouses full of the stuff under guard, lock and key for their own purposes. :rolleyes:

Take-a-knee
10-08-2007, 00:28
Sil doesn't come in camo, at least none that I've seen. I did pickup some army ACU in about a 2 ounce taffeta at Walmart in the dollar bin. I plan to make something like a JRB No-Sniveler out of it. Maybe with Climashield.

Nightwalker
10-08-2007, 07:23

The Coyote Brown that's used in the ULBP? Cool! It'd be nice to have a HexCat in the right color!

Frank

Nightwalker
10-08-2007, 07:30

Now Uncle **** will get yer butt!

NCPatrick
10-08-2007, 08:24
Now Uncle **** will get yer butt!

Lol, be afraid... be very afraid. :eek::D

Rapt
10-09-2007, 10:43
woah, rapt where did you get the $4/yd gortex?! i gotta look out for those deals!

BTW what good would waterproof/ breathable material? It couldn't be used as a tarp could it?

I got it here.. (http://www.justmakeit.com/specials/index.html). It was two layer with a tricot bonded "lining" fabric rather than the normal face fabric. Usually in white, or silvery-grey. Regular price is still pretty reasonable, at $8/m for 56" wide, see page 10 of their 2007 PDF catalogue.

I've used it for waterproof breathable lightly insulated sleeping bag overbags... Great if you want a light summer bag, to convert a 3 season down bag to very functional four season system, or to keep your down bag dry(er) in wet conditions.

As was said it CAN be used as a tarp but it'd be a waste and quite heavy. Better used as an "undercover" or supershelter/weathershield type system.

Also Goretex is 100% windproof, which can be handy in keeping heat in.

skar578
10-09-2007, 20:53
Ah my (hopeful) setup would be a 1,9 DWR hammock, 1.1 DWR quilt lining, Primaloft insulation, and 1.1 sil for tarp and ws.

momentum 90 i heard is nice for a hammock, so it might work for that and even the quilt. but that would be if i was hit by gates or something...

pure_mahem
10-10-2007, 18:07
with the other thread make your own silnylon it might be possible to get that camo silnylon tarp now.