PDA

View Full Version : Help with canoe trail along the PIne Barrens

Deadphans
08-28-2013, 18:50
I am located in New Jersey and have been craving to go canoeing and camping. I was hoping to portage in, paddle down river, and then camp, and paddle to the extraction area where another car will be.

I spoke to someone at the new LL Bean store in Freehold and they had said there is a place to put a boat in the Mullica River right passed the Atsion Headquarters. Then down river there will be a campsite where I could camp. I failed to ask which road you can get off of. I was just too excited to hear about this canoe/camp site lol.

Any suggestions? Help? Or other great spots?

Thanks!

Ratdog
08-28-2013, 19:08
The put in is just past the Atsion office on the left side heading South on Rt 206.

The Mullica River Campground is camp they were talking about.

Here is some info on paddling in the area.
http://www.pinelandsalliance.org/exploration/todo/canoeing/

Lots of options for stealth camping, only a few for legit camp sites, but enough.

http://www.phillypaddler.com/USGSGraphs.asp?STA=01409400&SEL=GE

Ratdog
08-28-2013, 19:13
Bodine Field is on the water but is usually slammed in the Summer.
Looks like it is being closed for repairs in Oct.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/wharton.html

Deadphans
08-28-2013, 19:14
Oh perfect, thanks a lot Ratdog! Once again! :) These are incredible resources. Thank you!

I think I will just end up stealth camping. I want to have some solitude time. Life has been crazy lately and I need a retreat.

Are there ramp fees? I am searching at the moment, but not finding anything. I feel like there is....

kayak karl
08-28-2013, 19:22
MAP (http://www.belhavenpaddlesports.com/trips.php)

Im doing the Mulica after holiday. didn't pick days. my plan is Atsion-Buttonwood Camp then Buttonwood (Crowleys Landing)-Mystic Island.

Call Bellhaven Paddlesport 609-965-2205 ask for JIM. You can park other car there for small fee. its on 542.

SilvrSurfr
08-28-2013, 19:28
I was also thinking of doing the Mullica in September. Here's the GPS coordinates of the Atsion drop in, which you can input to Google maps:

N 39 44.384, W 74 43.472

Here's a little more info I found.

http://www.meetup.com/thedvk/events/111112522/?action=detail&eventId=111112522

Somebody told me that when they flush the cranberry bogs, the water levels can be quite good on the Mullica and Batsto rivers in Sept/Oct.

nothermark
08-28-2013, 22:29
The story about the bogs is true. We used to go down there around the third weekend in October for a last trip of the season paddle.

Ratdog
08-28-2013, 23:40
Crowleys is closed for the rest of the year.
Rangers office will give you options.

We've had a lot of rain so all levels are good.

There is a boat ramp permit.
If you are leaving a car, better get the paperwork
NO fees after Labor Day

----launch fees-----
New Jersey Resident $12.00 per Launch.

Non-Resident $20.00 per Launch.

Daily
New Jersey Resident $60.00

Non-Resident $80.00

Annual
---------------------

Belhaven are good people.

The rivers are good fishing, have pulled 25 catfish out of the Mullica in an evening without any effort.

Skeeters are brutal, ticks are plentiful, prepare standard counter measures.

Http://www.njpinebarrens.com has a forum.

Get info, but don't publish when and where, folks take advantage of the info.

Good eats in the area
Picalilly Inn (wings and beer) rt 206
Tabernacle Inn (good food, service a little slow) rt 206
Upper Crust (small plaza, unassuming, good pizza) rt 206
Nixons General Store Tabernacle couple miles off 206

If stealth camping, scout maps, stay away from dirt roads, kids out partying in the Pines at night, mostly harmless.

SilvrSurfr
08-28-2013, 23:47
The rivers are good fishing, have pulled 25 catfish out of the Mullica in an evening without any effort.

Did you eat any of them? How did they taste? I understand the Yellow Bullhead catfish are prominent, with possibly some Brown Bullhead.

Ratdog
08-28-2013, 23:52
Haha of course I ate'em

They taste like crik fish.
I grew up on a crik, so it doesn't bother me.

Deadphans
08-29-2013, 16:47
Wait a minute, if I understand you correctly, that's 72 dollars to launch my own canoe in a river!

I did it all the time in Maine, for free!

Thank you for all the advice, I am reading and taking it all in :-)

SilvrSurfr
08-29-2013, 16:53
Wait a minute, if I understand you correctly, that's 72 dollars to launch my own canoe in a river!

I did it all the time in Maine, for free!

Thank you for all the advice, I am reading and taking it all in :-)

After Monday, it's free.

Deadphans
08-29-2013, 17:23
After Monday, it's free.

which is much better lol.

I was going to go Saturday, but I suppose I will wait till after Monday. I guess hoofing it on foot is what I will do for the weekend.

Maybe next weekend ill put the boat in.

kayak karl
08-29-2013, 18:46
i thought the fee was for the boat ramp. they had a daily price too when it was open. that beach stretcher 1/4 mile north and we put in and out there all the time. we just stay clear of the ramp and motor boats. its the parking there is a fee for i think. call belhaven for info.

NEW KK MAP (https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208353935963662732477.0004e51ea00622fe5006 4&msa=0&ll=39.633655,-74.606609&spn=0.038141,0.084543)

OLD PINE BARRENS CAMP KK MAP (https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208353935963662732477.00044a0879e733a9bda1 e&msa=0)

KK

Ratdog
08-30-2013, 13:20
Not $72, the last numbers were annual passes

The other numbers were daily fees, it just copied weird from the website.

You will want to leave your car at the Ranger Station.

kayak karl
08-30-2013, 13:24
You will want to leave your car at the Ranger Station.

Which ranger station?

Ratdog
08-30-2013, 13:30
Atsion.
Not really a Ranger Station.

If you put in at Atsion, unload the boat at the launch, then park in the lot by the mansion and have someone walk back to launch.

Deadphans
08-30-2013, 18:28
Ahhhhh okay. That makes much more sense. Delaware River rafting trip came to mind where the raft is provided and it is way over priced (and the camping is too loud!).

Knowing that, I may go this weekend.

Is camping free after labor day as well? I've done most of my camping after labor day/fall/spring up in Maine, and summers in Jersey. So I have no clue. Appreciate the help folks you are quite amazing!

Deadphans
08-30-2013, 18:38
So here is what I gather, thanks to you.

Putting in at Atsion station, just below on the Mullica. I can see the put in in the aerials. After the dam, of course. Pay the fee (or go after Monday for the free deal) and parking my car there. Have the second car parked at Bellhaven (I will ask for Jim and pay the small fee). First day, paddle to either the Mullica Camp or stealth camp somewhere (probably stealth camp, I need some solitude).

Then end at Bellhaven, grab our cars, head to Picallily Inn on 206 for wings and beer, right Ratdog?!

Sounds like a sound plan. Im doing it. Question right now is when and with whom.

kayak karl
08-30-2013, 18:41
camping is not free. $4-$20 a night. most of the sites on the rivers are $4.
Controlled by Reserve America (http://www.reserveamerica.com/homeLeft.do?mode=submit&topTabIndex=CampingSpot)

there is a $9.25 reservation fee, but if you go in person to Batsto that morn they will wave that.

Ratdog
08-30-2013, 19:14
So here is what I gather, thanks to you.

Putting in at Atsion station, just below on the Mullica. I can see the put in in the aerials. After the dam, of course. Pay the fee (or go after Monday for the free deal) and parking my car there. Have the second car parked at Bellhaven (I will ask for Jim and pay the small fee). First day, paddle to either the Mullica Camp or stealth camp somewhere (probably stealth camp, I need some solitude).

Then end at Bellhaven, grab our cars, head to Picallily Inn on 206 for wings and beer, right Ratdog?!

Sounds like a sound plan. Im doing it. Question right now is when and with whom.

Love it when a plan comes together...

kayak karl
08-30-2013, 19:29
enjoy your trip. be careful stealthing. fines are very hefty. have a fire and get caught, have bail money with you :)