PDA

View Full Version : Extra wide hammock

Frolicking Dino
03-25-2007, 08:14
Has anyone made a really wide hammock? I know 60" is the norm with a few of you gram conscious types going more narrow, but I need extra stability and will probably need a top loader. While I haven't totally given up on the idea of a HH, I did dream last night that I was swallowed by an item that looked like a cross between a HH and the plant from Little Shoppe of Horrors. :eek: The hammock is locked up just in case...;)

Wider material is available for making bedspreads, quilts, and sometimes for wedding gowns (woven poly lining) so I could probably do this without a seam. Has anyone tried it? Would it be even harder than a 60" wide model to exit?

Just Jeff
03-25-2007, 08:41
Put the 60" wide material down the middle - sew another 12" strip to either side. I doubt you'll notice the seam and 84" should be plenty.

But no, I haven't made one yet.

Redtail
03-25-2007, 09:06
To experiment maybe you could make a test hammock out of a double or queen size bed sheet just to see if the extra width helps or makes it more difficult to exit. My son had a little difficulty getting out of my test hammock which had the sides whipped a little tight (relatively, 60" is pretty wide for him) so in his final version I made them a little floppy and he had less trouble. Just a thought, good luck with your project!

attroll
03-25-2007, 11:50
If you go 60 inches wide and tie it at the ends you will have a heck of a time getting out of it I would think. It will have a deep pocket for you to get into and out of maybe.

Frolicking Dino
03-25-2007, 12:18
I have some 60" 1.9 ripstop about 9 ft long. I'm going to try Risk test hammock again and see how that goes. I will try the HH again when I get more strength in the leg. I still cannot walk / waddle in a crouched position. This uses the quads and the quads in my right leg are still partly paralyzed. I can move them in some positions (mainly straight and slightly elevated), but not at all in the crouched position. Pushing up with only the leg leg is really hard - I had to grab the 1" webbing with both hands and pull against the tree to get up yesterday.

Hana Hanger
03-25-2007, 13:13
FD I have to usually grab my webbing at times also. I have a wide homemade hammock and found it was more comfortable and able to really lay more flat.

64" material and found if I simply start swinging the hammock and make sure I am at the right height to began with...I simply swing then I sit up in the hammock and on the "up" swing my feet come down and I stand up with no problem. This is why my top loading hammocks are easier for me to get out of ...as long as my netting and tarp are up out of the way to the rear.
I personally found I must hang higher then my family to get out easier.

If you are always camping with the male dino he can start the swinging for you :)

Just Jeff
03-25-2007, 13:55
You could tie some webbing to the foot support, then run it through the slit and secure it loosely to the ridgeline. When you want to get out, use the webbing like a handle and pull yourself upright, then pull the hammock over your head.

Grinder
03-25-2007, 14:22
FD
I think your 9 foot length is marginal. I have always used 10 feet. But then, you are probably shorter than my 5' 10". 60 inch width is ample for me to get almost flat.

If you fold the thing up with the "secret hennessy hammock" technique, you should be able to swing your legs over the side and sit up just like a real bed.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=670&page=11
several tries may be required to minimize the side height.

Try using a sheet bend knot, rather than whipping, while you are experimenting with folding the ends. It's much faster to make changes.
http://www.tollesburysc.co.uk/Knots/Sheet_bend.htm
When you get it how you like it, you can whip it, if you prefer that technique.

I just tried it in my homemade.You would have to experiment to get the height right to minimize knee bend.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

Frolicking Dino
03-25-2007, 15:47
I'm 5' 9.5" and quite fluffy (over 200 lbs). I could get pretty much flat in the hammock and could move around inside without nearly flipping in the HH.

I was thinking about making a wider top-load hammock for extra stability - and using the HH fold would be an excellent idea for comfort. The last time I tried a top-loader, my right leg could barely support my weight when it was oh-so-carefully placed and balanced on a firm, flat surface. The instablity of the top-loaders scared me to death because I knew if I fell out I woulfd like get hurt as I couldn't catch myself with the right leg at all.

The leg has gained a lot of strength since then - especially when partially extended. The lower I am squated, the less strength it has because I lose voluntary control of the muscles. In time the nerves may regrow and make this a moot point, but for now I am limited by the remaining paralysis. I need to be able to enter and exit on my own. While the male dino will be there for help in extraordinary situaltions (like rain turned the area under the hammock into a mud slick), I don't want him to have to get up for my potty breaks or get up as early as I normally do. The male dino needs significantly more sleep than I do.

slowhike
03-25-2007, 16:14
maybe someone has already suggested this, but sometimes just sitting up & getting my legs hanging down on one side has been a little bit of a challenge for some reason.
but after i'm sitting up (like in a chair) standing up isn't much of a problem... especially if i have the hammock hung at about the right height.
so to help getting up into the sitting position maybe you could have two webbing straps attached to the support on the foot end.
then (after finding the right length) find a way to attach them to the out side edges of the hammock so they can be easily reached when you're ready to get up.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/P3250111.JPG

lambdahammock
04-06-2017, 19:11
I have yet to make my own hammock and I don't think I've seen this done but the Butt In A Sling Camper XL is my favorite hammock and it's 72 inches wide.

signing off,
https://bestcampinghammockgear.com

tonydc
09-26-2017, 10:19
If it's possible, I would like to see that done!

308Shooter
09-26-2017, 21:42
I can't speak to the ease of exiting the hammock with a certain, but I've found it depends on the height of the hammock. Swinging actually helps too. In terms of the material, Rip Stop By The Roll has XL material that is 76" wide I believe. Good Luck.

mirrorslap
09-26-2017, 22:55
I have not made a wide hammock but my 2nd purchased hammock was a MalloMe double parachute GE hammock. It is 79" wide and I thought the extra width would make for a better/flatter lay compared to my other hammock at the time that was only about 55" wide.

The MalloMe was 6" longer as well (10') so it was a better lay for me than my first hammock. However, I found it very difficult to get out of due to the excess fabric. If I every hung it a bit low (say under 18" from the ground once in the hammock) then I often found myself having to hang my legs out of the hammock, push on the ground to get the hammock swinging, and then time my exit just right in order to get out.

I now have a Trail Lair hammock from Simply Light Designs. It has a cat cut that does two things really nice for the hammock. It allows for a great view from the hammock - no more flapping, unusable fabric hanging all over you. And, without a doubt, makes getting out of the hammock SOOOO much easier.

I'll be the first to state that my reply may be way off topic since it is not about making a hammock but I just thought I would share my experience with a very wide hammock and the exiting challenges it presented.

jellyfish
09-27-2017, 17:52
I have a 66” wide model and it is no more difficult to exit.

WhollyHamaca
10-12-2017, 20:06
I sleep indoors every night in a 90" wide cotton T'cloth hammock. Nothing special (except that it's very nice, smooth, strong fabric). With a decades-old spine injury, badly mended rotator cuffs, and arthritis it's essential that I can sit up and get out easily. After lots of experimenting with sizes, shapes, gathers, rolls, and folds I finally settled on the Hennessy-style fold and whip method. It gives soft sides (no high, tight clamshell or bathtub sides) and no calf ridge. Look for wilsonbmw in the HF gallery for some very good how-to pix of his retake of the Hennessy fold.
Long, wide hammocks are SO luxurious, once you overcome the tight sides!

WhollyHamaca
10-12-2017, 20:19
[QUOTE=mirrorslap;1821088] I now have a Trail Lair hammock from Simply Light Designs. It has a cat cut that does two things really nice for the hammock. It allows for a great view from the hammock - no more flapping, unusable fabric hanging all over you. And, without a doubt, makes getting out of the hammock SOOOO much easier.

@mirrorslap: Can you please tell me the dimensions and how deep the cat cuts are on your Simply Light Designs Trail Lair hammock? I'm considering cat-cutting the sides of my 90" wide hammocks for better view. Otherwise, I love the width.

joe_guilbeau
10-15-2017, 22:20
Wider and longer make for more comfort.

A polyester taffeta tablecloth hammock can be had in 132" x 90", sew a half inch channel in each end with three rows of stitching and you have 130" length (10.833 feet in length and 90 wide). They also make 156" x 90" for a longer more comfortable lay. These tablecloths will hole 350 lbs and allow for a nice diagonal lay. Very flat. Cost is about $25 per tablecloth, and sides are already sewed. Polyester offers very little stretch, and does not hold water.