PDA

View Full Version : The Great Pumpkin Hang>Mt. Cardigan, NH<Oct 18-20

sunshower
08-31-2013, 18:42
Crisp nights on 100+ acres of land off NH 93, exit 26. Member Reason has offered their land for a backwoods hang. Come one, come all :0)

Great Pumpkin Hang Spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ah4b9cfRoQLZdEc0MDRJc2hDYlE2MHE3RUZTUTU1N 2c#gid=0)

sunshower
08-31-2013, 18:44
From Reason
Oh hi,
We have 110 acres of forest adjacent to the Mt. Cardigan area and Welton Falls. We would love to have people up there. We keep saying we wish more people would come up and enjoy it.

Trucks can easily make it up the mile of logging road without needing 4wheel drive. Cars without really good clearance may be scary. Camper and stream is about 200 yards from where you park. A wheel barrow is available. You could camp with the group or hike wherever you want on the land and hang solo.

Camping up there is primitive. Wilderness for miles in every direction and a zillion nice hikes from there. Cell phones mostly don't work unless you climb a mountain. You can get and send texts by 3g at the camper though.

No running water and just a little gas generator if we needed electricity. There is a big running brook for non potable water and cold swimming. Setting up a hammock over the swimming hole is fun :-)

The outhouse is clean and easy. You never have to see or smell anyones poo but your own. Standard ceramic toilet in the outhouse, but rather than water, you use a bag and some kitty litter, then tie that bag and throw it in the trash which we pack out. (It is much easier than it sounds). Flush toilet and running water is at the AMC lodge a 1.5 mile hike away.

We have no shortage of trees :-) People can always bail to the fifth wheel camper if their hammock insulation doesn't work out in the middle of the night. We have lots of sleeping space in there and propane heat.

zappa870
08-31-2013, 18:48
I'm in, lets get this party started

raiffnuke
08-31-2013, 19:03
I am a maybe. I would love to make this one.

~Reason~
08-31-2013, 19:10
I'm ~Reason~, and I approve this message :D

From Reason
Oh hi,
We have 110 acres of forest adjacent to the Mt. Cardigan area and Welton Falls. We would love to have people up there. We keep saying we wish more people would come up and enjoy it.

Trucks can easily make it up the mile of logging road without needing 4wheel drive. Cars without really good clearance may be scary. Camper and stream is about 200 yards from where you park. A wheel barrow is available. You could camp with the group or hike wherever you want on the land and hang solo.

Camping up there is primitive. Wilderness for miles in every direction and a zillion nice hikes from there. Cell phones mostly don't work unless you climb a mountain. You can get and send texts by 3g at the camper though.

No running water and just a little gas generator if we needed electricity. There is a big running brook for non potable water and cold swimming. Setting up a hammock over the swimming hole is fun :-)

The outhouse is clean and easy. You never have to see or smell anyones poo but your own. Standard ceramic toilet in the outhouse, but rather than water, you use a bag and some kitty litter, then tie that bag and throw it in the trash which we pack out. (It is much easier than it sounds). Flush toilet and running water is at the AMC lodge a 1.5 mile hike away.

We have no shortage of trees :-) People can always bail to the fifth wheel camper if their hammock insulation doesn't work out in the middle of the night. We have lots of sleeping space in there and propane heat.

shrineclown
08-31-2013, 19:15
In and out. But will be there for some of it. Oh yeah, and I am bringing my blanket. I just know he is coming.

sunshower
08-31-2013, 20:44
nice one, shrineclown, nice one :0)

SkyPainter
09-01-2013, 06:37
===> IN! Depending on medical crap, as usual. This should be a cool hang!

~ SkyPainter

ne_hanger
09-01-2013, 18:21
Sounds interesting. Last time I hiked Cardigan I was almost blown off the mountain. I would like to give it another shot and see if I can enjoy the summit a little bit more.

I do most of my hiking/camping solo (unless I can talk the wife into going) so the idea of group hangs is a bit daunting. If I make it or not a big thank you to Reason for allowing access to the land for the group. Appreciate the offer.

~Reason~
09-01-2013, 19:35
we have plenty of land up there for you to find some quiet if you prefer to solo. I can point you toward some nice spots. The terrain can be challenging enough that you can hike for over an hour and still be on our land if you go off trail.

JoshuaTrees
09-02-2013, 14:37
Wow! this sounds like a really good hang. Hopefully I can be there.

jerzybears
09-02-2013, 16:17
No water? Not ever small streams, etc.?

~Reason~
09-02-2013, 16:49
No water? Not ever small streams, etc.?

By no water i meant no access to well or town water. There is a big brook right at the camper with a few nice swimming holes and some little trout and a big beaver pond a ways upstream and Welton falls downstream . I wouldn't trust it for drinking though.

sunshower
09-02-2013, 18:42
We have a Sawyer squeeze we can share for water

R3l@x
09-02-2013, 18:43
I'm in for this one. Just found out I'm getting back from a work trip just in time.

Can't wait to learn how to make the three loop cord strap thingy you showed us at the winter hang. I can't even remember what it was called never mind how to make it :laugh:

~Reason~
09-02-2013, 18:46
We have some 5 gallon cans to bring in some fresh. It isn't far from where we park to the camp (and its down hill :-) )

~Reason~
09-02-2013, 18:49
I'm in for this one. Just found out I'm getting back from a work trip just in time.

Can't wait to learn how to make the three loop cord strap thingy you showed us at the winter hang. I can't even remember what it was called never mind how to make it :laugh:

Lol, I love that knot. I've still never found it in a book. I'll call it the Cindy Sinet and be famous across the land.

R3l@x
09-02-2013, 18:57
Lol, I love that knot. I've still never found it in a book. I'll call it the Cindy Sinet and be famous across the land.

Better than a book we'll put it in a video for all to learn across the interwebs :)

I'm bringing plenty of paracord and line to play with over the weekend. Maybe some Amsteel and I'll have a few new toys to try out also :D I just picked up a Katadyn Combi and can bring it or one of my other filters if needed.

shrineclown
09-02-2013, 19:07
I have a portable bubbler I will bring, but we won't be there until Saturday night about 4:30. I'll bring a couple 5 gallon bottles with me. If someone wants to grab it early, feel free to contact me and I will hand it off. Much easier than pumping or squeezing. When you don't have to. But if you want to, please feel free to have at it. No judgements. :D

sunshower
09-02-2013, 20:32
Better than a book we'll put it in a video for all to learn across the interwebs :)

I'm bringing plenty of paracord and line to play with over the weekend. Maybe some Amsteel and I'll have a few new toys to try out also :D I just picked up a Katadyn Combi and can bring it or one of my other filters if needed.
You toys? Never.;)

R3l@x
09-03-2013, 07:01
I have a portable bubbler I will bring, but we won't be there until Saturday night about 4:30. I'll bring a couple 5 gallon bottles with me. If someone wants to grab it early, feel free to contact me and I will hand it off. Much easier than pumping or squeezing. When you don't have to. But if you want to, please feel free to have at it. No judgements. :D
Portable bubbler sounds like a plan! With all the 5 gallon bottles I think the filter will just be a backup which works for me :)

You toys? Never.;)

It was so hard over the holiday weekend to not buy at least one new flashlight or knife with all the sales going on :laugh:

doc17th
09-03-2013, 07:20
Wow that is really nice of you to allow the use of your land.

jofish
09-03-2013, 17:45
Aw... I get back to New England on Oct. 20th. Winter hang, it is!

sunshower
09-03-2013, 20:41
Aw... I get back to New England on Oct. 20th. Winter hang, it is!
the Northeast is an active group.. there's a Maine hang the last weekend in Oct too.

Veto 65
09-05-2013, 22:04
I'm in too.
Even though people tell me where to go, I still need directions to get there.

Nighthauk
09-07-2013, 20:36
MUST..... FIGHT....... THE....... URGE...... TO...... GO..... TO..... ALL.....THE...... OTHER..... HANGS........I am losing the battle....must go.....noooo Iiiii can't.....your going....noooooooooooooooo.

Seriously though, I would love to go but I just can't.I am scheduled already six weekends straight of camping. I hope all of you have a great time. The next group hang I will see you all at is the Winter Hang.

shrineclown
09-07-2013, 20:51
I'm in too.
Even though people tell me where to go, I still need directions to get there.

Just keep driving, you will find it. That is what I do.

~Reason~
09-10-2013, 10:26
If you map, Cream Hill Road, Alexandria NH, 03222 that will get you near the logging road. It is about 25 minutes off the highway (exit 23 route 93 which is 68 miles north of the MA border).

sunshower
09-11-2013, 07:00
so who's in so far?

R3l@x
09-11-2013, 13:15
so who's in so far?

I'm in.

I've created a spreadsheet we can use to help track people going. Feel free to add this to your sig and maybe we can get one of the mods to add it to the first post if you can no longer edit.

sunshower
09-11-2013, 13:46
Yes, mods please!

Nighthauk
09-11-2013, 15:31
I'm in.

I've created a spreadsheet we can use to help track people going. Feel free to add this to your sig and maybe we can get one of the mods to add it to the first post if you can no longer edit.

All set. Just added it

SkyPainter
09-11-2013, 17:18
===> So far, I am still in! I am having eye surgery in Oct, but am trying to schedule all the appts around this hang! Surgery is on the 24th, to remove my cataract-clouded eye lens, and replace it with a custom plastic intra-ocular lens behind the Retina. (Just this one-need both done eventually) Recovery could be fun. But I may need a series of pre-op appts, and will try to work around this hang!

~ SkyPainter

~Reason~
09-13-2013, 07:53
===> So far, I am still in! I am having eye surgery in Oct, but am trying to schedule all the appts around this hang! Surgery is on the 24th, to remove my cataract-clouded eye lens, and replace it with a custom plastic intra-ocular lens behind the Retina. (Just this one-need both done eventually) Recovery could be fun. But I may need a series of pre-op appts, and will try to work around this hang!

~ SkyPainter

Be sure to test if you have a new superpower after the surgery especially when you have only one done..http://www.komar.org/faq/colorado-cataract-surgery-crystalens/ultra-violet-color-glow/

SkyPainter
09-13-2013, 08:37
Be sure to test if you have a new superpower after the surgery especially when you have only one done..http://www.komar.org/faq/colorado-cataract-surgery-crystalens/ultra-violet-color-glow/

===>. This is VERY cool! I will ask the docs about this during the pre-op appts! Maybe then I could see if my alcohol stoves are actually lit! I want X-Ray vision too! And Infrared! Would be helpful in the woods while hunting, and great fun in a nightclub. Now I am actually looking forward to these surgeries!

Thanks!

~ Soon to be Bionic SkyPainter

~Reason~
09-23-2013, 08:16
I'm getting so excited for this! Can't wait.

SkyPainter
09-23-2013, 09:33
===> Okay! Scheduled all my pre-op appts around this hang, so I am good to go! This should be fun! :)

~ SkyPainter the half-blind

SkyPainter
09-23-2013, 09:40
====> Where is the spreadsheet for this hang?

~ Sky

sunshower
09-23-2013, 09:51
It's on Relax's siggy

SkyPainter
09-23-2013, 17:12
It's on Relax's siggy

===> Got it- although I am not sure it took from my iPhone.

~ Sky

gogrillz
09-27-2013, 13:08
This looks like fun! Is the attendee list full?

~Reason~
09-27-2013, 13:19
This looks like fun! Is the attendee list full?

Far from it. We have 120 acres of trees to choose from. I'm sure we can find a spot for you. :)

gogrillz
09-27-2013, 13:51
Far from it. We have 120 acres of trees to choose from. I'm sure we can find a spot for you. :)

GREAT! Sign me up:thumbup:

mbnow
09-27-2013, 20:06
signed up and pending.

My wife may be in on this too.

Lets talk bathroom....
just want to be sure. Packing it out or hike to Outhouse is only option?
No burying ?

just trying to clarify.

Thanks,

Matt

R3l@x
09-30-2013, 06:32
signed up and pending.

My wife may be in on this too.

Lets talk bathroom....
just want to be sure. Packing it out or hike to Outhouse is only option?
No burying ?

just trying to clarify.

Thanks,

Matt

I don't believe the outhouse is a long hike and it has a real toilet in it, waste is packed out instead of composted from what I read. The 1.5 mile hike is to flush toilet with water if someone wants that.

~Reason~
09-30-2013, 06:47
The outhouse is a building 30 feet from the fifth wheel camper. I do the packing out, not you. To be blunt, you sit on a regular toilet with a regular seat, but under the seat where the water usually is, you put a plastic bag and some kitty litter (we supply both). When you are done you lift the lid, tie the bag and toss it in the trash rather than flushing. That's it. Most people who were intimidated by the no flush toilet idea are really surprised how easy it is. On the scale of scary places to poo it is miles better than a port a potty and slightly better than a random public toilet in my opinion.

shrineclown
09-30-2013, 19:28
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/O-9VzNVxDj0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://youtu.be/O-9VzNVxDj0

mbnow
10-01-2013, 00:07
Thanks all for the clarification
This bagging concept is new to me.

Klipspringer
10-01-2013, 05:26
I'm in, this will be my first hang and the wife (tent) might tag along.

sunshower
10-03-2013, 07:43
getting closer!

Veto 65
10-03-2013, 21:34
getting closer!

Are we going to have a Sunshower count down?

GrizzlyAdams
10-03-2013, 22:26
How nice! I won't be coming, but I used to live nearby (Cornish) and hiked up Mt. Cardigan many times. I don't know of any other hike in the area where you can get such good views for so short a hike (notice I said _short_, not _easy_ ). Wind at the top over the last quarter mile....my wife did that section on her hands and knees once....

Enjoy!
And ~Reason~, what a great thing for you to offer.

sunshower
10-04-2013, 07:18
are we going to have a sunshower count down?
14 days!!*****

zappa870
10-05-2013, 10:06
I just got a wbbb1.1 double layer for the occaision

SkyPainter
10-05-2013, 18:49
I just got a wbbb1.1 double layer for the occaision

===> AWESOME hammock! I have two of 'em. You will LOVE it!

~ SkyPainter

shrineclown
10-07-2013, 00:52
:eyes :clown

brambor
10-09-2013, 08:56
I may go. My schedule usually doesn't allow me to commit until a day before the trip. Hope to make it. Looks like a great hang.

baiku
10-10-2013, 20:44
Total noob here, but I'd like to join. Brand new T'bird with 3 nights on the odometer, thanks to help/advice from Shrineclown! Don't have a UQ, but hoping my 20 degree down bag inside a bigger 40 degree bag will be enough. If not, maybe liquid insulation will help ............:)

brambor
10-11-2013, 18:36
Ok let's talk directions. I mapped Cream Hill road and there appears to be only one viable option for a secondary road. That would be taking a left from The Cream Hill Road. Then there is one possible fork (click here (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Cream+Hill+Road,+Alexandria+NH,+03222&hl=en&ll=43.665454,-71.853877&spn=0.000599,0.001206&sll=45.188406,-68.984705&sspn=4.776959,9.876709&hnear=Cream+Hill+Rd,+Alexandria,+Grafton,+New+Hamp shire+03222&t=h&z=20))

Do we take a left there or continue on straight? At which point should low clearance vehicles resort to parking and hiking towards the group hang area?

:-)

~Reason~
10-12-2013, 18:20
Hey all! I just got back from two days and a night up on the land and boy, this is not one to miss! So, so pretty up there right now. So much wildlife! It makes me overuse exclamation points!!

EDIT: on the map linked above Google incorrectly shows welton falls Rd / river road continuing straight which is actually the logging road. On that map our camp is just after the end of that welton falls / river Rd.

For directions, Google "Cream Hill Rd, Alexandria, nh". That is a short dead end road. The logging road is right at the beginning of Cream hill Rd. You basically go straight rather than do a 90° curve to the right onto Cream hill Rd. When driving to Cream Hill keep an eye out for the "fresh eggs" signs with stencils of chickens. They point you right there.

I will put a sign at the entrance to the logging road just in case.

We are over the bridge, one mile up the hill and are the first thing that looks like you've gotten to something. You can't miss us. ( Literally because the road doesn't really go anywhere much past us :-) )

If I'm not at the landing helping people park, I'll draw a diagram and slap it up somewhere.

~Reason~
10-12-2013, 18:46
Ok, tell me if this works, I think I made a map.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208081568329509257364.0004ae1e7714e15acd56 0&msa=0&ll=43.619487,-71.778059&spn=0.055736,0.132093&source=gplus-ogsb

~Reason~
10-12-2013, 19:08
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-O9xyR1brN8Y/Ulmxwbx8zgI/AAAAAAAAJLI/uVmxSVRrExA/w1534-h865-no/IMAG0794.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-o1ZX0OYEH7s/Ulnj2wZMxxI/AAAAAAAAJMM/CkWojMrJi1U/w1534-h865-no/IMAG0773.jpg

SkyPainter
10-12-2013, 19:11
===> AWESOME pics! Can't wait to hang there! THANKS!

~ Sky

~Reason~
10-12-2013, 19:13
one more
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-hIDTs6hMHPw/UllJnnUFNnI/AAAAAAAAJFI/BPO-zHMlrYg/w1534-h865-no/IMAG0784.jpg

brambor
10-12-2013, 19:31
whew. I'm glad I asked. :-) My circumstances are leaning well in favor of making this trip. Looking forward to it. Hopefully I could even try hiking the mountain.

sunshower
10-12-2013, 20:52
Do we hike in a bit or drive right up to the camp? Those pictures are gorgeous, hoping some of the color remains next weekend as well. I am going to make a pot of chili to share along with corn bread and spaghetti.

sunshower
10-12-2013, 20:53
Oh, and 6 more days!

gogrillz
10-13-2013, 05:33
"Scary narrow wooden bridge" Perfect for Halloween!

SkyPainter
10-13-2013, 09:39
===> How scary, and how narrow is the wooden bridge? Wonder if it will support The Truck Of Holding? We'll see I guess. Keep 911 and AAA on speed dial!

~ Sky

~Reason~
10-13-2013, 11:27
I make no claims as to the structural integrity of said bridge. It has huge steel I-beams and new wooden decking. I drive my bigass truck over it all the time. ( I think I still always hold my breath though).

You can drive right up to our land and it is maybe 200 yards to the campfire and stream and outhouse. The vista where I camped this weekend is maybe a half or third mile hike uphill with a little bushwhacking. I expect most of you will want to camp at the stream, but you are certainly welcome to camp anywhere that strikes your fancy. We just have to follow the fire marshal's rules and not have campfires out of the prepared fire ring.

shrineclown
10-13-2013, 22:59
Woo Hoo....

And Go Sox!

SkyPainter
10-14-2013, 19:17
===> Okay - getting there! I will be bringing a +1 to the hang this weekend. My new Son-In-Law will be coming with me. I have a hammock set-up for him, he is a hammock virgin. He was in the process of enlisting in the National Guard when the Govmnt shut down, so he has to wait to get to the next steps in the process, and is still available and wants to try it. His head is shaved, but that is the Army.

I updated the spreadsheet already.

Now just to find the place! What time can we get there on Friday????

~ SkyPainter

sunshower
10-14-2013, 20:20
4 days... Just sayin.

R3l@x
10-15-2013, 06:41
Ok, tell me if this works, I think I made a map.
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=208081568329509257364.0004ae1e7714e15acd56 0&msa=0&ll=43.619487,-71.778059&spn=0.055736,0.132093&source=gplus-ogsb
Works great! I did a google trip to Homeland cemetary coming in 91 to 104 and it's only 3 hours instead of closer to 4 coming up 93 :D

===> Okay - getting there! I will be bringing a +1 to the hang this weekend. My new Son-In-Law will be coming with me. I have a hammock set-up for him, he is a hammock virgin. He was in the process of enlisting in the National Guard when the Govmnt shut down, so he has to wait to get to the next steps in the process, and is still available and wants to try it. His head is shaved, but that is the Army.

I updated the spreadsheet already.

Now just to find the place! What time can we get there on Friday????

~ SkyPainter
Have him bring a warm hat :lol:

SkyPainter
10-15-2013, 07:11
Works great! I did a google trip to Homeland cemetary coming in 91 to 104 and it's only 3 hours instead of closer to 4 coming up 93 :D

Have him bring a warm hat :lol:

===> LOL! You bet I will! Think I will take an extra Black Rock Beanie for him, too! I want him in The Guard, not home with pneumonia! Hehehe...Hope to see you there, John!

===> Chaaaz, AKA, SkyPainter

~Reason~
10-15-2013, 12:50
I plan on getting there either Thursday night or Friday morning at about 11:00. You can come any time. It is, after all, just a big hunk of forest, so it's not like we lock up at night. :-)

~Reason~
10-15-2013, 12:58
One thing, if you would like to contribute to the campfire, please consider contributing elbow grease rather than wood.

We are in danger from several invasive species up there. The emerald ash borer has made it as far north as Concord.

We have a ton of wood on the ground, seasoned but not cut up that the loggers didn't take out. We would much rather use that than risk helping a beetle hitch a ride to eat our trees.

Eliot will be bringing his chainsaw and a splitting axe.

raiffnuke
10-15-2013, 15:12
One thing, if you would like to contribute to the campfire, please consider contributing elbow grease rather than wood.

We are in danger from several invasive species up there. The emerald ash borer has made it as far north as Concord.

We have a ton of wood on the ground, seasoned but not cut up that the loggers didn't take out. We would much rather use that than risk helping a beetle hitch a ride to eat our trees.

Yes, but will there be anyone there in a kilt to use that chainsaw?! :D

sunshower
10-15-2013, 16:32
Yes, but will there be anyone there in a kilt to use that chainsaw?! :D

I don't know, will you be there?:p

gogrillz
10-15-2013, 16:39
BYOB, or is this a dry event? Also how far is it to the nearest market/supplies? I may be traveling up on motorcycle and will need to stop for a sixer and food.

brambor
10-15-2013, 17:29
I would love to arrive Friday. Problem is I will leave Portland, ME at 5PM. We will see.

zappa870
10-15-2013, 17:47
I will be getting out of work at 230 ish to head up

raiffnuke
10-15-2013, 17:51
I don't know, will you be there?:p

Sadly, I can't make this hang.

~Reason~
10-15-2013, 18:46
Alcohol is fine with us.

I think the closest grocery is a hanniford in Bristol 15 or 20 minutes away.

shrineclown
10-15-2013, 19:45
Alcohol is fine with us.

I think the closest grocery is a hanniford in Bristol 15 or 20 minutes away.

If you follow Reasons directions you go right by the local grocery store on the West side of Newfound lake....name is escaping me, but it is a nice market.

SkyPainter
10-15-2013, 20:33
===> I think that I will be careful driving over the scary wooden bridge....will keep the doors open in case we need chop and
pull silver!

~ SkyPainter - who hates cutaways

GT
10-15-2013, 20:53
Exit 26? Isn't that the Plymouth area? Cardigan is in Alexandria. You mean exit 23 rt 104W? Or no?

GT
10-15-2013, 20:55
If you follow Reasons directions you go right by the local grocery store on the West side of Newfound lake....name is escaping me, but it is a nice market.

Shackets...I would do my shopping somewhere else though. They are geared for tourist.

GT
10-15-2013, 21:03
Do you have GPS co-ordinates for the spot?

gogrillz
10-15-2013, 21:19

The Shop & Save on 104 in Bristol

SkyPainter
10-15-2013, 21:31

===> Good advice! I will be bringing an axe, a hatchet, and two saws to help process firewood, and maybe build some woods furniture (table, etc). I can put the new SIL to work! Hehehe....

~ SkyPainter

SkyPainter
10-16-2013, 07:18
4 days... Just sayin.

===> Be sure to bring your two-burner grill - I still have your grill grate from the Harold Parker hang, and will be bringing it up with me. Can never have enough stoves at these hangs!

See ya in two days!

~ Sky

~Reason~
10-16-2013, 07:35
Shackets is the name of the little grocery on the shore of newfound, but I think it is closed for the season now.

~Reason~
10-16-2013, 07:38
It is exit 23 off 93 ( about mile marker 68)

Let me know if the Google map I posted above isn't working for you. There is several paragraphs of info with it and a picture of the logging road entrance , but it seems to be a little wonkey about showing all of the info on mobile devices. Click the pins.

GT
10-16-2013, 07:47
Anyone interested in hiking Mt. Cardigan on Sat afternoon? I am very familiar with the trails there. I live about 3 miles away and hike them regularly.
My favorite hike is about 5 miles and starts at the AMC lodge which is about a mile from where we will be camping, goes ccw over Fire Screw Mt. which is a mile long ridge walk, and onto Mt. Cardigan than back down to the lodge. Or cw Cardigan to fire screw and back to the lodge.
Or a lot of people just go the clark trail up and then back down the same way 4 miles round trip. I would rate the hike as "Slightly Moderate"
P.S. I am a slow hiker and it takes about 4 hours to go around with a lunch break ontop. PM me if interested and bring your camera. The views are extreme.

GT
10-16-2013, 07:57
It is exit 23 off 93 ( about mile marker 68)

Let me know if the Google map I posted above isn't working for you. There is several paragraphs of info with it and a picture of the logging road entrance , but it seems to be a little wonkey about showing all of the info on mobile devices. Click the pins.

Exit 23 then left at the end of the exit. Rt 104W. AKA, Ragged Mountain Highway. Go 5 miles to Bristol (watch speed, bristol police are always along there) Go thru town of Bristol headed to Newfound Lake. When you come to the yellow caution light at newfound lake go left onto shore road. Go straight for about 2 miles and you will come to a 90* left corner. Go straight. Road will turn to dirt and you will go over a small wooden bridge. Stay on the dirt road and you will come to a split about 1/4 mile after the bridge. (Fresh Eggs) sign there. Head for the eggs. P.S. If you get lost just ask anyone how to get to the Mt. Cardigan AMC lodge. You will have to go by the fresh eggs sign no matter what.

SkyPainter
10-16-2013, 11:10
===> If I find my Dutch Oven, I will be making fresh donuts ALA Nitehauk's recipe each morning. Will also be bringing coffee, eggs, and of COURSE, Bacon!!! Lotsa Bacon!

Do we need a table there??? I might be able to bring a small 4 ft folder if necessary.

~ SkyPainter The Hungry

gogrillz
10-16-2013, 11:40
===> If I find my Dutch Oven, I will be making fresh donuts ALA Nitehauk's recipe each morning. Will also be bringing coffee, eggs, and of COURSE, Bacon!!! Lotsa Bacon!

Do we need a table there??? I might be able to bring a small 4 ft folder if necessary.

~ SkyPainter The Hungry

You can never have too many tables, I say bring it if you can fit it............And mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Bacon.

brambor
10-16-2013, 12:02
I was Planning to hike The Mountain after breakfast, Weather permitting.

Anyone interested in hiking Mt. Cardigan on Sat afternoon? I am very familiar with the trails there. I live about 3 miles away and hike them regularly.
My favorite hike is about 5 miles and starts at the AMC lodge which is about a mile from where we will be camping, goes ccw over Fire Screw Mt. which is a mile long ridge walk, and onto Mt. Cardigan than back down to the lodge. Or cw Cardigan to fire screw and back to the lodge.
Or a lot of people just go the clark trail up and then back down the same way 4 miles round trip. I would rate the hike as "Slightly Moderate"
P.S. I am a slow hiker and it takes about 4 hours to go around with a lunch break ontop. PM me if interested and bring your camera. The views are extreme.

~Reason~
10-16-2013, 12:21
There are two picnic tables and ten of those plastic Adirondack chairs . There is a basic fire pit and a cast iron stove. Unfortunately the ground around the pit isn't super flat so you have to pick a spot for your chair carefully. That's one of those things on the list of projects to be done someday. In case of rain, the fifth wheel has a long awning and we have one of those Colman hexagonal shelter thingies.

GT
10-16-2013, 12:24

~ SkyPainter The Hungry

I would like to place an order for a doughnut and bacon sandmich please. Extra Bacon.

gogrillz
10-16-2013, 14:01
There are two picnic tables and ten of those plastic Adirondack chairs . There is a basic fire pit and a cast iron stove. Unfortunately the ground around the pit isn't super flat so you have to pick a spot for your chair carefully. That's one of those things on the list of projects to be done someday. When it rains, the fifth wheel has a long awning and we have one of those Colman hexagonal shelter thingies.

Fixed for ya! It's been my experience when camping (especially in N.E.) to ALWAYS expect rain. :scared:

JoshuaTrees
10-16-2013, 14:18
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-O9xyR1brN8Y/Ulmxwbx8zgI/AAAAAAAAJLI/uVmxSVRrExA/w1534-h865-no/IMAG0794.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-o1ZX0OYEH7s/Ulnj2wZMxxI/AAAAAAAAJMM/CkWojMrJi1U/w1534-h865-no/IMAG0773.jpg

OK I'm sold. Adding my name to the spreadsheet after this post.

SkyPainter
10-16-2013, 14:57
I would like to place an order for a doughnut and bacon sandmich please. Extra Bacon.

===> You've got it! If you had any of Nitehauk's donuts at the NEHHA, you know what's coming! And I will have several pounds of Bacon, 'cause, you know, it's Bacon!

I'll see if I can take the table. Might help.

~ SkyPainter

SkyPainter
10-16-2013, 15:02
===> I will bring a couple of extra tarps we can link together for extra coverage if needed. We should be fine.

~ Sky

SkyPainter
10-16-2013, 15:14
I would love to arrive Friday. Problem is I will leave Portland, ME at 5PM. We will see.

===> you can get there by 7!! We'll save a coupla trees for ya! :)

~ Sky

brambor
10-16-2013, 17:12
I am all set with the directions now. I got me a new detailed hiking map of the Cardigan location and connected it with the google map provided by Reason.

I will pack my backpack tomorrow and head out right from work on Friday. I am looking forward to my first ever hang with a group of likeminded folks who like camping.

===> you can get there by 7!! We'll save a coupla trees for ya! :)

~ Sky

SkyPainter
10-16-2013, 18:28
I will pack my backpack tomorrow and head out right from work on Friday. I am looking forward to my first ever hang with a group of likeminded folks who like camping.

===> Come hungry! Seeya Friday! Glad to have ya there!

~ SkyPainter

zappa870
10-16-2013, 18:44
Anything special That I should bring for food?

Nighthauk
10-16-2013, 19:11
===> You've got it! If you had any of Nitehauk's donuts at the NEHHA, you know what's coming! And I will have several pounds of Bacon, 'cause, you know, it's Bacon!

I'll see if I can take the table. Might help.

~ SkyPainter

Maybe I should've held my doughnut secret a little closer to the chest. Everyone seems to be stealing it. Oh well. I now get to sleep in later is all.

SkyPainter
10-16-2013, 19:15
Maybe I should've held my doughnut secret a little closer to the chest. Everyone seems to be stealing it. Oh well. I now get to sleep in later is all.

===> Tim, those donuts were just AWESOME! These should become a NEHHA specialty! Dunkin Donuts will have nothing on the Northeast Hangers!Are you coming to this hang???

~ Sky

Nighthauk
10-16-2013, 19:16
Im glad that everyone enjoyed them. I know R3l@x is getting the doughnut for winter hang.
I wish that I could make it. I have a scout function this weekend.

raiffnuke
10-16-2013, 19:26
Im glad that everyone enjoyed them. I know R3l@x is getting the doughnut for winter hang.
I wish that I could make it. I have a scout function this weekend.

Are you kidding?!? Those doughnuts were horrible! I had to sacrifice and eat them just to spare everyone else the agony! :D

Nighthauk
10-16-2013, 19:27
Are you kidding?!? Those doughnuts were horrible! I had to sacrifice and eat them just to spare everyone else the agony! :D

That sacrifice right there is leading cause of why we elected you President. ;)

raiffnuke
10-16-2013, 19:30
That sacrifice right there is leading cause of why we elected you President. ;)

And that is why I had to regretfully accept the position. Sacrificing my self for the greater good is hard work! :D

Nighthauk
10-16-2013, 19:32
And that is why I had to regretfully accept the position. Sacrificing my self for the greater good is hard work! :D

And yet you do it so effortlessly. I bow down in awe. Lol. And now back to our regularly schedule program.

gogrillz
10-16-2013, 19:38

That gives a whole new meaning to "taking one for the team" more like a dozen :lol::lol:

SkyPainter
10-16-2013, 19:44
That gives a whole new meaning to "taking one for the team" more like a dozen :lol::lol:

===> I hope to make far more than a dozen each day!

~ Sky

Nighthauk
10-16-2013, 19:47
===> I hope to make far more than a dozen each day!

~ Sky

Sky I made 3 dozen each day. :o.o: That should be a good reference for you.

SkyPainter
10-16-2013, 20:23
Sky I made 3 dozen each day. :o.o: That should be a good reference for you.

===> How many cans did you use?

~ Sky

Nighthauk
10-16-2013, 20:25
They usually come 8 to a can. I got the Pillsbury grand biscuit rolls. You can either get the original or the buttery ones. Which are the ones I got last time.

SkyPainter
10-17-2013, 07:50
They usually come 8 to a can. I got the Pillsbury grand biscuit rolls. You can either get the original or the buttery ones. Which are the ones I got last time.

===> THANKS! I truly think that these will turn into the 'Signature' dish for most of the hangs in the Northeast. Now to hunt down my Dutch Oven.

~ SkyPainter

sunshower
10-17-2013, 08:14
1 day to go!

SkyPainter
10-17-2013, 08:24
Anything special That I should bring for food?

===> Well, there are 24 of us signed-up so far, so whatever you decide to make/bring you should take that into account. I will be making the donuts. Hopefully, others will bring food to share for Sat night, as usual!

Seeya there! Glad to see you getting out there again!

~ SkyPainter

sunshower
10-17-2013, 09:28
Exit 23 then left at the end of the exit. Rt 104W. AKA, Ragged Mountain Highway. Go 5 miles to Bristol (watch speed, bristol police are always along there) Go thru town of Bristol headed to Newfound Lake. When you come to the yellow caution light at newfound lake go left onto shore road. Go straight for about 2 miles and you will come to a 90* left corner. Go straight. Road will turn to dirt and you will go over a small wooden bridge. Stay on the dirt road and you will come to a split about 1/4 mile after the bridge. (Fresh Eggs) sign there. Head for the eggs. P.S. If you get lost just ask anyone how to get to the Mt. Cardigan AMC lodge. You will have to go by the fresh eggs sign no matter what.

are these directions to the hike or where we are staying?? we will be arriving after 630-7ish so it'll be dark.. just want to make sure we have the right directions.

~Reason~
10-17-2013, 17:18
Those directions go to the land. You should be able to see the chicken signs easily. You are not going to the AMC lodge, but getting on the road towards it will get you in the vicinity of the chicken signs. The house they sells the eggs is about a mile past the logging Rd entrance. I'll make a NEHHA sign at the logging Rd entrance.

SkyPainter
10-17-2013, 21:11
Those directions go to the land. You should be able to see the chicken signs easily. You are not going to the AMC lodge, but getting on the road towards it will get you in the vicinity of the chicken signs. The house they sells the eggs is about a mile past the logging Rd entrance. I'll make a NEHHA sign at the logging Rd entrance.

===> Think they'll sell us a coupla chickens to dress out and cook?

~ Sky

brambor
10-17-2013, 21:22
poor girls :D

speaking of the hens. I have seven chickens in my coop so forgive me for the empathy :-)

gogrillz
10-17-2013, 21:31
Ok, the bike is packed and ready to go 1st thing in the morning. If I take the scenic route it should take me 6 or 7 hours and 5 states. I'm guessing I'll arrive around 3 or 4 depending on how many times I stop, and how long I break for lunch. Should be a good ride with some nice weather, oh and we have a full moon!

~Reason~
10-17-2013, 21:45
Isn't it grouse season? There are a bunch of them up there. The little guys sound like two stroke engines that just can't get going. If you've never heard them you'll laugh. I hear they taste better than chicken.

SkyPainter
10-17-2013, 22:14
Isn't it grouse season? There are a bunch of them up there. The little guys sound like two stroke engines that just can't get going. If you've never heard them you'll laugh. I hear they taste better than chicken.

===> my Gung-ho Son-In-Law asked to bring his pellet rifle. I told him no, there were kids about. Although a Wrist Rocket could take a Grouse down! And they do sound odd.

~ Sky

SkyPainter
10-17-2013, 22:15
Ok, the bike is packed and ready to go 1st thing in the morning. If I take the scenic route it should take me 6 or 7 hours and 5 states. I'm guessing I'll arrive around 3 or 4 depending on how many times I stop, and how long I break for lunch. Should be a good ride with some nice weather, oh and we have a full moon!

===> Where ya riding from grillz?

~ Sky

SkyPainter
10-18-2013, 05:09
===> Looks like we caught a nice break with the weather each day! A bit breezy, and chilly at night. Perfect! See you in a coupla hours!

~ Sky. - The SIL is stoked!

gogrillz
10-18-2013, 06:09
===> Where ya riding from grillz?

~ Sky

Southern Ct

Nighthauk
10-18-2013, 07:36
Have fun guys. Wish I could've made it. You have a beautiful weekend a head of you. Bring back pictures.

sunshower
10-18-2013, 07:55
Be there around 7. Look for a Subaru with two directionally disoriented folks in it.

~Reason~
10-18-2013, 08:18
I'm finally going to get out of here I an hour, so should be there 11:30 or so. Hope anyone who gets there before me finds it ok.

I'm so excited!

sunshower
10-18-2013, 10:56
We're bringing chili for Saturday night to share with all. It's in the crock pot now.

brambor
10-18-2013, 11:36
I'm bringing organic soda for Saturday

Black Hyundai Elantra with kayak/bike rack

GT
10-18-2013, 12:02
We're bringing chili for Saturday night to share with all. It's in the crock pot now.

CHILI !!!! My fav food in all the world.
I will bring my famous boiled egg, cabbage, and bean Soup to go with the chili.
:)

~Reason~
10-18-2013, 12:23
We're here!

baiku
10-18-2013, 12:27
Sorry for the late reply....I have to bow out for Saturday night. Life is getting in the way.:)

Have fun!!

shrineclown
10-18-2013, 12:28
Sorry for the late reply....I have to bow out for Saturday night. Life is getting in the way.:)

Have fun!!

Bummer, I have stuff for you. We will have to catch up.

Klipspringer
10-18-2013, 13:45
Bringing some lasagna for Saturday night, see you guys tomorrow.

~Reason~
10-18-2013, 15:17
People are having a hard time finding us. Be sure to print out directions and make sure you check the directions yourphone tells you. Some have been sent on roads that are not more than hiking trails. Once you get out here 3g is very spotty, so you can't check it then.

brambor
10-18-2013, 15:22
Partial Lunar eclipse tonight at 7:50pm

~Reason~
10-18-2013, 23:48
Time for bed. A few more people rolled in tonight with getting lost stories, so seriously double check before you go.

sunshower
10-20-2013, 10:19
"Hi I'm Megan and we are royally stuck on a mountain. We need a shovel, a tow,or 6 strong men."
Thank you everyone for an awesome time and rescuing our car from the logging road. Now I wish I had pictures because like they say: pics or it didn't happen.

brambor
10-20-2013, 10:27
Definitely happened :) I can proudly proclaim that I was one of the pack who shovelled you out. Cheers.

McRat
10-20-2013, 10:43
What a great time seeing everyone. Wish I could have stayed longer.

Thanks everyone for a great time at the 'Proper T'. ;)

brambor
10-20-2013, 13:18
It was great to meet everyone. Thanks for the invite. :-)
Here are some photos of setups from Saturday morning and then some photos from my hike up to Mt.Cardigan. :-)

You can claim your hammock here. :-)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7422/10386202116_027a2728f7_c.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5493/10386197616_1dd544a9bf_c.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3743/10386166896_857cd69553_c.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2808/10386128124_21277788d1_c.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5503/10386112965_b522f1769a_c.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3728/10386122375_65e4bbe90e_c.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2884/10386140295_02b604bdb6_c.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3815/10386111364_a86a371401_c.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2813/10386120144_2f52bb17bf_c.jpg

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5538/10386666173_ec0599f3b8_c.jpg

SkyPainter
10-20-2013, 16:53
Great pics, Brambor! Thanks! It was great meeting and hanging with you! Hope you can make the NEHHA Winter Hang!

FOR EVERYONE ELSE, PLEASE POST YOUR PICS AND REPORTS IN THE "TRIP REPORTS" FORUM THREAD. I WILL GET IT STARTED IN A SEC. THANKS!

~ SkyPainter

shrineclown
10-20-2013, 18:38
Smokey and I want to thank ~Reason~ and family for a most excellent time. What a great place. Don't feel bad Sunshower, we did the same thing and got a lot further....no replacement for displacement and ground clearance. And we backed out. Smokey was a little concerned.

sunshower
10-21-2013, 20:02
Smokey and I want to thank ~Reason~ and family for a most excellent time. What a great place. Don't feel bad Sunshower, we did the same thing and got a lot further....no replacement for displacement and ground clearance. And we backed out. Smokey was a little concerned.
thanks, i appreciate the moral support. tell Smokey the Huskies say hi.

shrineclown
10-21-2013, 23:17
thanks, i appreciate the moral support. tell Smokey the Huskies say hi.

That was the first thing he said..."He doesn't hate me anymore!" :D