PDA

View Full Version : ME>The Maine Hang - Brunswick, ME April 25th-27th, 2014

McRat
09-03-2013, 12:58
The Maine Hang
Thomas Point Beach, Brunswick, Maine
April 25-27th, 2014

Heading up to my favorite campground during the last weekend of April for some preseason camping, hammock hanging, music jamming, food, friends, fires and fun.

We attempted this event last year and had a lot of fun for a small group - but I think we'll give everyone more than ten days notice and see if that helps attendance.

The abundance of pine trees could allow for a ridiculous amount of hammocks, and the preseason camping makes it easy to span campsites if the tree placement is preferable. I'm inviting along some of my bluegrass pickin' friends, but the campground is large enough to find a 'banjo free' zone if needed.

Last year, camping was $7/person/night - should still be under $10 unless we pool in on a community meal or get a large enough turnout to make port-a-johns advisable.

I welcome others to join in and add whatever fun you bring to the mix. Workshops, meals, paddling, cycling, or shopping trips... what have you. I have no agenda at this time beyond a good family-friendly time from arrival to the (now) traditional 'throwing of the pancakes' before leaving.

So... who wants to hang?

The Maine Hang - Brunswick April 2014 signup sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Anb0JoYftY9kdEpDeW91WVkyU3JCNlkxNkZrNmo4M Xc&usp=sharing)

Snaggletooth
09-03-2013, 13:55
This is going to be good....

RKP
09-03-2013, 14:31
Will put this on my calendar.

Zigerot
09-03-2013, 15:59
I love Brunswick, I used to work at Maine State Music Theater. i didn't explore to much beyond the town area but i dont remember a camp area. Is it in one of the little islands?

McRat
09-03-2013, 16:26
I love Brunswick, I used to work at Maine State Music Theater. i didn't explore to much beyond the town area but i dont remember a camp area. Is it in one of the little islands?

Still on the mainland, but headed out towards Harpswell and the islands. Specifically, it's in the Cooks Corner area.

Campground info - http://www.thomaspointbeach.com

Mapper link - http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=43.89523,-69.89320&z=17&t=S&marker0=43.89424%2C-69.89148%2C5.9%20km%20WxSW%20of%20Bath%20ME

sunshower
09-03-2013, 20:42
add the two of us

attroll
09-03-2013, 22:23
I would like to commit to this but it is just to far out right now. I have been contemplating hiking the AT again.

DocGary
09-04-2013, 11:10
Sounds like it'll be fun used to live in Brunswick area

mudsocks
09-04-2013, 11:48
Excellent way to start the spring camping season. I'm in.

Grey Eagle
09-05-2013, 21:35
I've put it on my calendar

Tripod
09-12-2013, 09:31
I can put this on my schedule, about 3 hours from here which is about what I will be doing next weekend.

JollyGreen
09-12-2013, 14:06
Putting it on my schedule too, a LLBean trip is in order.

Zilla
09-19-2013, 20:33
The wife and i are gonna try and make the trip,Maine is beautiful that time of year

SkyPainter
09-24-2013, 10:17
===> On the calendar. Now I have to get the Banjo, Mandolin, Guitars, and Harmonicas back out and start practicing again! Of course that implies making room for it/them in the Truck Of Holding. Could be problematic. But I plan on attending!

~ SkyPainter

sunshower
09-24-2013, 20:05
Skypainter, perchance there be room for our forgotten grill in that truck?

SkyPainter
09-24-2013, 22:25
Skypainter, perchance there be room for our forgotten grill in that truck?

===> Of course! I brought it to the NEHHA, but you couldn't make it, unfortunately. It is in the truck, whenever we hook up again. If you need it, just let me know! Gastar and I should be hanging and fishing in Harold Parker State Forest soon, otherwise I will bring it to the Maine hang. Just let me know.

Hope you're feeling better!

~ SkyPainter

mainewoods
09-26-2013, 12:37
Has a new hanger I'll put in for it. Would be nice and meet you all. I hope to learn some more! Plan me coming.

sunshower
09-26-2013, 13:12
===> Of course! I brought it to the NEHHA, but you couldn't make it, unfortunately. It is in the truck, whenever we hook up again. If you need it, just let me know! Gastar and I should be hanging and fishing in Harold Parker State Forest soon, otherwise I will bring it to the Maine hang. Just let me know.

Hope you're feeling better!

~ SkyPainter

I thought Harold Parker was closed for the season? If you do go, let me know. At least I could swing by and say hello.
I finally feel better. Get your flu shot.. it's nasty this year and had me in bed for 5 days with zero energy.

SkyPainter
09-27-2013, 08:42
I thought Harold Parker was closed for the season? If you do go, let me know. At least I could swing by and say hello.
I finally feel better. Get your flu shot.. it's nasty this year and had me in bed for 5 days with zero energy.

===> Glad to hear you're feeling better! Being Diabetic, I always get a flu shot, and keep my Pneumonia shot up to date as well!

The campground at HP is closed for the season, but it's a 3000 acre forest! There are 2500 acres other than the 91 sites in the campground, and a night or two stealth camping is fairly easy to do, as long as you set-up away from the trails. We will let you know, but if you need the grill grate, I can meet you someplace in the meantime.

Hope to see you at either the great Pumpkin Hang in NH, or the Winter NEHHA!

Stay well!

~ SkyPainter

Snaggletooth
01-16-2014, 10:23
Here is one if the many sections if trees.
http://youtu.be/-VLCGCapBhE

shrineclown
01-16-2014, 12:00
Here is one if the many sections if trees.
http://youtu.be/-VLCGCapBhE

I got all hurt I wasn't invited....and then I noticed the date posted. Not to hijack the Maine thread...but let me know if you are sneaking about.

Can't make this one in Maine unfortunately....

R3l@x
01-27-2014, 18:47
On the Calendar. Let's see if I can swing two long weekends in one month :cool:

CountryRoads
01-27-2014, 19:07
This is the same weekend as the spring MAHHA. Being from the south, myself and a couple other northeasterners were going to try and make it to that. It's in PA about 5 1/2 hours from here. Too bad because the Maine hang is closer...

McRat
01-31-2014, 23:50
This is the same weekend as the spring MAHHA. Being from the south, myself and a couple other northeasterners were going to try and make it to that. It's in PA about 5 1/2 hours from here. Too bad because the Maine hang is closer...

No worries. I'm sure you'll have a grand time with MAHAA. If I didn't have this set up already it would certainly be tempting.

We recently acquired several t*nt-dwelling musician friends who are hoping to make it to the Maine Hang, so it may have lost some purity as a hammock event - but they should make up for it in mirth and hammock evangelism opportunities. ;)

attroll
03-03-2014, 11:52
This event is getting closer. I am looking forward to it.

McRat, do you want me to create a signup sheet for this event?

McRat
03-03-2014, 12:24
Excited here too! Spoke to the campground owners a couple weeks ago, been twisting the arms of a few musician friends, and think I got the whole family on board. I'll be heading up the weekend prior to check things out and make final prep.

If you can post a spreadsheet, ATTroll, that would be awesome. If not I hope to get to it in the next few days. Been under the weather or playing catch-up at work much of the time lately.

I can't tell you how great it is to be able to share my favorite campground (where I hung my first hammock and have camped for over 23 years) with my hammock forum friends.

Bring along instruments, but fear not - the campground is large enough to find trees away from the music if quiet is your thing.

We have also welcomed tent dwellers, so there should be plenty of opportunities for spreading the joy of hammock camping to those benighted ground-sleeping friends. :D

atrane21
03-03-2014, 15:17
Wish this wasnt the same weekend as MAHHA or I'd be there.

SkyPainter
03-04-2014, 08:01
I plan to make Brunswick, have a couple of things to deal with first. May need another surgery around then, and need to buy a car. Hopefully, the surgery will be taken care of by then.

~ Sky

attroll
03-04-2014, 11:27
I have created a signup sheet and also added it to the first post in this thread.

The Maine Hang - Brunswick April 2014 signup sheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Anb0JoYftY9kdEpDeW91WVkyU3JCNlkxNkZrNmo4M Xc&usp=sharing)

mudsocks
03-25-2014, 12:09
I've added myself to the spread sheet.

Meriadoc
03-29-2014, 12:29
I'm house sitting for someone during the hang, but I'm free during the day. Will you folks be around for me to come say hi? Day trips?

I'm a former hammock hanger, so I'm not sure I'm welcome :P. And my ukulele skills are not sufficient to grant me entry on a musician's ticket.

mudsocks
03-29-2014, 13:10
I'm house sitting for someone during the hang, but I'm free during the day. Will you folks be around for me to come say hi? Day trips?

I'm a former hammock hanger, so I'm not sure I'm welcome :P. And my ukulele skills are not sufficient to grant me entry on a musician's ticket.

Sure thing. Bring some of your minimalist footwear and conversation.

SkyPainter
04-01-2014, 22:37
===> Well, I fixed my car, so I have a ride again! Trying to get my surgery and other treatments scheduled around the upcoming hangs. Eye surgery should not be a problem, but if I have to start Radiation treatments, that may nix the hangs. 5 days a week for 7 weeks, M-F. Sucketh. We'll see how that goes. I plan to be at the hang!

~ SkyPainter

McRat
04-03-2014, 08:41
3 Weeks, 1 day 'til the Maine Hang!

Needed a use for the sour face photo from last year... ;-)

dingbat
04-07-2014, 17:34
Tentatively in for this. Campsite seems to be 40 mins. from Popham Beach. Hoping for some good weather and a clean swell.:thumbup1:

harvywells
04-07-2014, 18:06
Hi Russ
This is your bluegrass neighbor Dale at TPB,you know Red,Van,Green hammock stand,was wanting to make it this spring,but we are starting our summer business that week end.(Window Cleaning),unreal.Pick some bluegrass for me and stay dry and we will see you in the fall.
dale

Snaggletooth
04-07-2014, 19:17
Im totally ready for this one, maybe it will get warm enough to get in the water .

zappa870
04-08-2014, 08:45
I'm signed up for this one also.Get more excited every time,can't wait

mudsocks
04-08-2014, 14:15
Im totally ready for this one, maybe it will get warm enough to get in the water .

Ha! It's never to cold to get into the water, but it is unlikely to be warm enough to enjoy.

McRat
04-09-2014, 17:21
Spoke to the campground owner, good news all around.

First, the bathroom should be open and available. This saves us a portajohn rental.

Second, campground fee is just $7/person/night. I'll ask about a discount for children.

Try to appease the weather gods -things are looking promising for a relaxing hang among the pines.

zappa870
04-11-2014, 08:01
Spoke to the campground owner, good news all around.

First, the bathroom should be open and available. This saves us a portajohn rental.

Second, campground fee is just $7/person/night. I'll ask about a discount for children.

Try to appease the weather gods -things are looking promising for a relaxing hang among the pines.

Sounds great

Grey Eagle
04-20-2014, 18:51
What's the procedure when we arrive? Pay the camp ground or is someone collecting for the group? What sites are we gathering at? I may be there early on Friday as I live less than 20 miles away.

McRat
04-20-2014, 19:53
What's the procedure when we arrive? Pay the camp ground or is someone collecting for the group? What sites are we gathering at? I may be there early on Friday as I live less than 20 miles away.

Hoping to be up there Friday afternoon. I'll be collecting fees to pay the campground owners and possibly passing the hat for firewood unless someone local miraculously has leftover firewood after this winter,

Last year the gate was open, and we gravitated to sites #1-11

Site map - http://thomaspointbeach.com/camping.sitemap.shtml

Lots of trees to spread out from there. Hope to see you there.

olddog
04-20-2014, 22:10
I'll be there in spirit if not in body. Our season is over down here and already looking forward to some summer hangs in Maine. Not so much looking forward to hanging in Maine as I am looking forward to hanging with Mainers this summer. Ya'll have fun.

attroll
04-23-2014, 19:34
The weather does not look like it is going to cooperate this weekend. I am now iffy.

SkyPainter
04-23-2014, 19:38
===> I am out, unfortunately, as well. I have some medical issues to take care of by Monday for the VA. We need to plan another hang there over the summer!

With regrets,
SkyPainter

McRat
04-24-2014, 07:42
The weather does not look like it is going to cooperate this weekend. I am now iffy.

If only there were some camping system that kept you off the wet ground, while protecting you from the rain above... :rolleyes:

Friday night weather is looking pleasant enough for April in Maine, but Sat/Sun have over 70% chance of rain with temps in the 40s/30s. I still plan on going and enjoying the rain falling on the tarps, but understand if anyone wants to back out. It will be brisk. Bring lotsa layers if you come.

The spirit of the Maine Hang is taking the time to relax and unwind. You can do it in a hammock, a t*nt, or celebrate at home.

Just relax and have fun this weekend.

Grey Eagle
04-24-2014, 08:43
I plan on a noonish arrival and will bring some tarps. However, I do NOT have the 40 x 60 foot size.

zappa870
04-24-2014, 18:10
unfortunately I won't be able to make it

Unicoi Zoom
04-25-2014, 20:56
I've been wondering for awhile if there was a hammock hang group in Maine. My boyfriend and I moved to Portland in September and have just started to explore where we can go hang besides the hammock stand in the living room. We finally got off our butts and went to Acadia on Wednesday and got back today (Friday). Then today it hits me to actually search hammock forums for hangs, and here you all are. Meeting in Brunswick, which we just drove by, today. Well, sorry to be missing you this time, but look forward to hanging out later this summer.

olddog
04-25-2014, 22:25
UZ, if the cost of diesel fuel keeps doesn't keep me from making the trip to Maine this summer I plan on hosting another hang in the Mt. Waldo area this summer. It was my pleasure to meet some of the Hammock Forum family last year and look forward meeting even more next year. just keep an eye open on the trip planning threads.

SkyPainter
04-26-2014, 14:05
I've been wondering for awhile if there was a hammock hang group in Maine. My boyfriend and I moved to Portland in September and have just started to explore where we can go hang besides the hammock stand in the living room. We finally got off our butts and went to Acadia on Wednesday and got back today (Friday). Then today it hits me to actually search hammock forums for hangs, and here you all are. Meeting in Brunswick, which we just drove by, today. Well, sorry to be missing you this time, but look forward to hanging out later this summer.

===> Welcome! My family has also hung in Freeport, at the Desert of Maine Campground. It is a REAL inland desert; they have a Butterfly House, a 1783 Barn display, tours, and more. We hung three hammocks at site #10 (suggested by the owners for the tree availability). LL Bean's Mothership Store is a mile or so away, with lots of other shopping and eating. Hang in the piney woods, eat at a bistro!

Good luck, and hope to meet you guys at a hang sometime!

~ SkyPainter