PDA

View Full Version : Twin Cities Area Hammock Help

Awkward Sportsman
09-04-2013, 18:33
I have noticed lately that a lot of new people (myself included) get easily frustrated and overwhelmed with trying to figure out how to set up a hammock.

I would like to offer my advice if anyone wants to meet somewhere in the area. It should be noted that I am NOT at all an expert, nor have tons of experience hanging. I do on the other hand have a good basic knowledge of my set up at least.

There are definitely people that know more about hanging than I ever will, but if you are frustrated and need to see a setup in person, I am willing to help. Here is my setup as of today (new hammock on order):
-ENO Singlenest
-Whoopie sling/tree hugger suspension
-Adjustable structural ridgeline
-Guardian bug net
-Zing it tarp ridgeline with Dutch hook and tarp flyz
-Outdoor Equipment Supplier MacCat tarp
-Hammockgear.com Incubator under quilt with dutch gear to keep in place

If you would like to learn about this type of setup just let me know. Fronkey was kind enough to show me his setup in person when I was brand new so I know how much it can help. Please undetstand I have lots to learn so this is not necessarily the "right" way of doing things (if there is such a thing).

Happy Hanging!!!

VineyGirl
09-04-2013, 18:44
my husband and I would be very interested in something like this. we are diyers to the max. everything we have is either walmart, goodwill, or diy and we would love some advice on some lighter weight and long term stuff. let me know a good time to meet up. i would love to see a few different set ups if we can get more hangers together. we're from eagan, but can meet wherever is best for everyone.

we would also love to possibly set up some sort of newbie hang, just an overnight or a weekend thing before it gets too cold. let us know when anyone is available. we're very open.

dammfast
09-04-2013, 18:50
sounds like the start of group hang!!!

Awkward Sportsman
09-04-2013, 18:56
Awesome sounds like a good idea. I am in Bloomington. Will wait a day or 2 to see if anyone else wants to get together. Even if we can't figure out an overnighter we can meet at Hyland or some park somewhere to check it out.

Debi Jaytee
09-04-2013, 20:32
that's the ultimate "pay it forward" Awkward Sportsman! Hats off to you for sharing the love!

Awkward Sportsman
09-04-2013, 21:24
I just hope I can help rather than cause more confusion!

the_lorax
09-04-2013, 22:16
I'd be up for something depending on the dates; gotta get out soon and test the gear I've been DIYing.

Bic
09-05-2013, 06:13
Group hang!

Spurr
09-05-2013, 08:08
Depending on when I'd like to come and meet a few of you..I'm very new to this as well with a total of ten nights in a hammock and would really like to see your set ups..

I'm available almost any Saturday night in September..I do work early Saturday mornings so Friday nights are not an option right now..

Shug
09-05-2013, 10:19
Always good for the new-folk to eyeball some hanging gear.
Pick a place, date and time and let it transpire.
A gathering in a local park like Highland or such would be way easier to do than planning a hang in my opinion. Also nice for folks to meet one another before committing to the wood or a backpack trip.
Shug

riverjoe
09-05-2013, 11:42
Always good for the new-folk to eyeball some hanging gear.
Pick a place, date and time and let it transpire.
A gathering in a local park like Highland or such would be way easier to do than planning a hang in my opinion. Also nice for folks to meet one another before committing to the wood or a backpack trip.
Shug

Just want to thank you Shug for your excellent videos . Stumbled across a few and decided to give hammock a try again . Tryed it once in the Nam back in 68 with a cheap rope deal and about broke my back and have been shunning them ever since .
Really enjoying these new diaganol hang jobs so thanks again .
Joe

Awkward Sportsman
09-05-2013, 12:22
I am also thinking it will be best to just do an afternoon meet up sometime. Does sunday 9/8 work for everyone? Sometime in the afternoon? Also if anyone knows of a good park with plenty of trees they would be great. Hyland is an option, or Normandale lake area (right near Hyland, might even be part of hyland :/

Shug
09-05-2013, 12:26
I am also thinking it will be best to just do an afternoon meet up sometime. Does sunday 9/8 work for everyone? Sometime in the afternoon? Also if anyone knows of a good park with plenty of trees they would be great. Hyland is an option, or Normandale lake area (right near Hyland, might even be part of hyland :/
I am out of town on the 8th. Maybe it will work for most though.
Shug

rcam1977
09-05-2013, 13:03
that's the ultimate "pay it forward" Awkward Sportsman! Hats off to you for sharing the love!

I second that, that's awesome of you to put yourself out there like that and as Shug said a great way to put some faces with some names and get to know people a little before committing to a weekend or over nite hang with a bunch of people you don't know,

VineyGirl
09-05-2013, 17:17
well sunday works for us, as does any day. is hyland good for trees? im trying to think of a good place, but none come to mind that are clear enough of brush to have easy access to. hrm. so yeah, sunday, sounds good! Hillbilly Deluxe and I will be there.

Awkward Sportsman
09-05-2013, 19:36
Sounds good. Lets make it Sunday at 1:00 pm at Hyland Park Reserve if that works. If this doesn't work for anyone else we can always try and set another time up.

Hyland Park should have something available for trees in the park. How hard can it be right? This isn't the Hyland ski hill just to clarify. This park is down Bush Lake road from that, but not far at all.

Address: 10145 Bush Lake Road, Bloomington, MN

Hope this works!

the_lorax
09-05-2013, 22:13
I'm busy this weekend - have fun folks!

Awkward Sportsman
09-05-2013, 23:33
Bummer, we will definitely have to get s hang going. Wishing I could make it this weekend with hikingdad up to the SHT.

Spurr
09-05-2013, 23:56
Sounds good for me as well and looking forward to it..Should we plan on bringing some food?..Maybe do some brats, or not..I'm good either way, just a thought..

Awkward Sportsman
09-05-2013, 23:59
Heck bring whatever you want! They have those grills on a poll there. That sounds like a great idea though. Ill bring a pkg of brats and buns, maybe something else a little funky for ppl to try as well.

Bic
09-06-2013, 08:35
Bummer, we will definitely have to get s hang going. Wishing I could make it this weekend with hikingdad up to the SHT.

I'm not going this weekend. I am heading up from the 13-15 and then again from the 27-29. Both trips will be a ton of fun and more are welcome to come if they'd like :)

VineyGirl
09-06-2013, 14:36
Looking forward to meeting you guys. we'll be there.

Spurr
09-07-2013, 15:12
I regret that I wont be able to make this. I had something unplanned that came up that I must deal with. Hope you all have a good time and it looks like great weather as well..

VineyGirl
09-08-2013, 12:37
getting everything ready and we'll be on our way very shortly.

Awkward Sportsman
09-08-2013, 12:39
Sounds great, just about to head out as well.