PDA

View Full Version : Ridge-line chat.

Ghillieshot
09-05-2013, 09:42
Hey Guys,

I have been making hammocks and modding them a lot, and one question that I have never really found the sweet spot for is Ridgelines. Now I have researched this a bunch, so I do not want people redirecting me, or sending me links. I am starting this thread as a place to go to talk about what has worked well for them.

Now I know the basics of hanging and all the mathematical side, 30 degrees, 83% (or close), 15 feet apart... I do understand the elements to hanging a hammock. I just want to know what has worked for you.

I have tried shorter ridgelines, longer, and having none. I personally enjoy having none, or a bit longer then what most do.

Any pros to having a RL over having none if I know how to hang the hammock correctly?

Anyone experimented with RL and found something that works great for them?

If ridgeline is too tight what could be the cause. (I presume the hang distance is too far, and low, hence the tightness.)

Are RL really all they are cut out to be if you know how to hang a hammock? (Besides hanging things on them)

Share your experiences, and tips with us here.

Cheers,

Ghillieshot

Boston
09-05-2013, 09:59
I like a ridgeline because it reduces fiddle, and isolates the hammock sag from the hang angle.

Ridgeline tightness is a product of hang angle. Lower hang angle = more force along the ridge line. I use dynaglide or amsteel for my ridgelines and don't worry about tightness. Dynaglide is the lightest typical material for a ridgeline - and has 1000lb breaking strength.

Mountnman
09-05-2013, 10:03
I do like a ridgeline, I can throw my hammock up and it's right where I need it. I do have an adjustable one that way I can let it out or take it in if the need arises.

Also, I use it to help keep things at close reach that I need while laying in my hammock. I also throw socks and whatever I have that needs to dry. If staying in camp for a few days I like to pull my tarp back during the day and I hang my TQ over my RL inside out to air it out and allow to dry if need be.

Jayson
09-05-2013, 10:11
Ridgeline keeps the bugnet/winter sock off my face. I also like my ridgeline longer than the 83%.

XTrekker
09-05-2013, 10:57
Best thing I ever did was make an adjustable ridgeline. I learned alot from it.
The longer I made my ridgeline, the less diagonal lay I could have. This had a positive effect and a negative effect. Positive is it makes your body more straight which should make it easier to get an UQ adjusted correctly but the negative effect was my hammock length increased. It seemed to increase shoulder squeeze also but I will have to play around with it more to be sure. I also tried shortening my RL down to 75% and which made the hammock hang pretty low and increased the pitch along the lateral axis for diagonal lay.
Another thing I noticed that hammocks of certain length need a certain ridgeline length compared to others. Basically I wouldn't use the same % for RL length on a 11' hammock with a width of 64" as I would for a hammock with a 10' length and a width of 60". It varies significantly. Once I am done with this next hammock, I will play around with the ARL more and report my findings.

Mumbles
09-05-2013, 16:16
I only know a ridgeline. It's value seems logical and effective for me. Eventually I'll experiment, but for now, thanks for starting something that should keep me reading and thinking.

DivaB
09-05-2013, 16:21
I love my ridgeline. It keeps my bugnet up, my hammock sock up, supports my ridgeline organizer, holds my hammock light and more, and gives me a pretty consistent, quick hang every time. I have found that I do like mine a little long on some hammocks and shorter on others, but I most certainly want it there.

Awkward Sportsman
09-05-2013, 16:31
I myself love having an adjustable ridgeline. Its possible that I don't know what exactly I am doing, but I seem to adjust mine a little here and there depending on how I am feeling, and what trees are available. Most of all I like my RL for keeping my watch (alarm) and my headlamp within quick reach.

I have found that generally I like my RL a bit longer tha the 83% starting out point, but that percentage is great place to start initially with the length.

I have never used a fixed RL because it just makes sense to me to have some sort of adjustability. I have used my hammock without a RL and found it to be difficult to get a consistent comfortable hang. At least with the ARL I am always within a couple inches.

Brute1100
09-05-2013, 19:31
I like them because it keeps the bug net off my face... I gave been really happy with 83% or however close I get when trying to get 83%... To each their own... I just make all mine fixed now as I never changed any of the ones I made adjustable...

Olydog09
09-05-2013, 20:57
good info in here

robv60
09-05-2013, 23:18
I like mine. I especially like the way it holds my bug net off of my face. That is a necessity for me. Also, in my very limited experience, its nice to have a place to hang things as has been mentioned. Even though I origanally added a 'ridge just for those reasons, I can say that adding one immediately made a difference in the lay/comfort of my hammock. Plus, its fun to play tunes on it when it gets a little too tight. ;) Just pinch it at different lengths and pluck it like a stand up bass. Quite entertaining!

Pipsissewa
09-06-2013, 06:23
I always make my ridge lines adjustable with a trucker's hitch. After I'm sure where I like the length, I mark the line with a permanent marker. That way, if I don't have a bug net to hold up, I can set my hammock with the right amount of sag using the ridge line's mark, then loosen my ridge line with the trucker's hitch, and use it as a foot line. Even if I'm not using a foot line, it's nice to get the ridge line out of my way if I'm not using it to hold up a bug net.

This is what works for me. Remember: HYOH! :D

Espdp2
09-06-2013, 07:54
Pip, that's exactly what I do, except for the marker. It seems to change with every hang.

Dead Man
09-06-2013, 08:03
I'm a ridgeline lover. Give or take on the consistency of the lay. I can screw that up easy by hanging too far out (get shoulder squeeze) or too tight (seem to see a little calf ridge - minimal but there).

Keep the bugnet up, and place to put my light, glasses and hang my Kindle. I like having stuff close at hand and consistently where I put it.

:shades:

Shug
09-06-2013, 08:19
I lean and hold onto my hammock ridgeline when changing pants under my tarp standing. Yes....I am a ridgleline fan.
Shug

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5459/7164799828_efc9de7d1d_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/shugsbackpacktrips/7164799828/)

XTrekker
09-06-2013, 08:51
I always make my ridge lines adjustable with a trucker's hitch. After I'm sure where I like the length, I mark the line with a permanent marker. That way, if I don't have a bug net to hold up, I can set my hammock with the right amount of sag using the ridge line's mark, then loosen my ridge line with the trucker's hitch, and use it as a foot line. Even if I'm not using a foot line, it's nice to get the ridge line out of my way if I'm not using it to hold up a bug net.

I did that with 2 of my amsteel ridgelines and both times the permanent marker faded almost completely away after some handling. Think I may need to rub off the Coating on the rope first and then mark it.

ohiomp84
09-06-2013, 08:59
Ive been fairly happy with mine at 85%. I have two hammocks that are 120" RL point to RL point, and one compact one for pitching on my buddys sailboat that is about 90" from RL point to RL point. I use 85% on all three and have been super happy with that figure.

Otherwise, same as what everyone else is saying. Great for organizer, wet clothes, headlamp, bugnet, etc. Im used to having one, so it is just so natural that it seems weird now to not have one. I started without a ridgeline and now that i use them, i couldnt imagine not using them.

Pipsissewa
09-06-2013, 09:04
I did that with 2 of my amsteel ridgelines and both times the permanent marker faded almost completely away after some handling. Think I may need to rub off the Coating on the rope first and then mark it.

Yeah, you're right! Not much sticks to amsteel. Even the dye they use on it ends up all over my fingers. I bought some red amsteel thinking it'd be the cat's meow. Well, it didn't take long for it to fade to yucky pink!

My ridge lines are made of some unnamed poly cordage I got off blinds where I used to work. (strong, not stretchy, I've got lots of it.) I put a little bit of masking tape on where I think it should be marked--and really, that tape has stayed put for many many hangs and take-downs! Paint or nail polish might work on amsteel too. Let us know what you figure out to mark amsteel permanently. :D

XTrekker
09-06-2013, 11:49
Yeah, you're right! Not much sticks to amsteel. Even the dye they use on it ends up all over my fingers. I bought some red amsteel thinking it'd be the cat's meow. Well, it didn't take long for it to fade to yucky pink!

My ridge lines are made of some unnamed poly cordage I got off blinds where I used to work. (strong, not stretchy, I've got lots of it.) I put a little bit of masking tape on where I think it should be marked--and really, that tape has stayed put for many many hangs and take-downs! Paint or nail polish might work on amsteel too. Let us know what you figure out to mark amsteel permanently. :D

Just gonna whip it with some thread...lol

Ghillieshot
09-09-2013, 22:39
Hey everyone.

Thanks for all your thoughts. I have really enjoyed reading through all of them and want to reply to every single one. There are some really good reasons to have a ridgeline, in this thread. I like the idea of being able to use it as a foot rest, use it to stabilize as you change under the tarp. I prefer an adjustable RL and have marked where I like the hang with a marker. I too also prefer it to be a bit more then the recommended 83%, but as it is stated, 83% is a good starting point. I agree that the longer the RL, the more shoulder squeeze, and the shorter the RL the more ridges (neck aching, or leg aching).

I think the general consensus here is that having a RL has no drawbacks, and if you don't want it, you can always just take it off. I feel that most people tend to lean towards 85% RL length too (or at least longer).

So thanks for all your replies and comments. I enjoy hearing every ones ideas. Keep them flowing in.

Ghillieshot

darkbyrd
09-10-2013, 21:16
When I added a ridgeline it turned my porch setup from barely adequate to perfect. With a ridgeline you can adapt to conditions and still get a perfect night's sleep. My first adjustable ridgelines were whoopies, but now I make 2.2 zing-it UCRS, usually with a range of about 75% to 90% of the hammock length.

Ghillieshot
09-24-2013, 10:05
So far the conclusion is that a ridgeline is good. Do we have anyone who would prefer going without a ridgeline? Throw your thoughts out there.

Ghillieshot.

rledge21
09-24-2013, 10:35
Love my ridgeline! I keep mine around 9-9.5 feet on my ENO Doublenest. I hang all my gear from it using carabiners: backpack, guitar, water bottle, food. if its raining hard I can slide my gear closer to me & out of the rain. I can move it out of the way as I need. I really liked this when I was hanging @ All Good Festival. Only time I don't use a ridgeline is when I'm camping in my Geodome. The hubs are the perfect length from each other, and there are plenty of spots to hang my gear from on the dome. so I just unclip the ridgeline for that.

Richard Tipton
09-24-2013, 10:49
I have an adjustable ridgeline and I love it! Takes any guesswork out of hanging.

wesbri
09-24-2013, 11:16
I've just gone from no-RL to an adjustable ridge line which I don't adjust much now that I have it dialed in. I'm intrigued by the post about the length affecting your diagonal lie. I noticed mine changed but thought it was a new pad with shoulder flies affecting the lay. Now I guess I need to go out and play with the RL some more.

Hctits
09-24-2013, 11:24
I like having a ridge-line so my hammock always hangs the same, I made the rest of the suspension first, and used an adjustable ratchet strap in place of a ridge-line until I found the length I found to be most comfortable. Then I made a permanent structural ridge-line to the same measurement. I didn't pay any attention to the ratio of RL length to hammock length, I just went with whatever felt the best for me.

priller
09-24-2013, 11:52

Pips, can you describe how you use it as a footline? I seem to remember something regarding this but I am foggy on the details. Is it for lounging perpendicular in hammock?

Thanks!

Gannoli
09-24-2013, 17:25
I'm a big ridge line fan. I hung my hammock for first time with out on, the second hang had a ridge line and I haven't gone back since. Mine is a little shorter than 83%, I like more sag. Although the line I used does have some stretch so I don't really know where it is (need to get some amsteel). But like what most people have said, it's really nice for hanging things (glasses, head lamp, socks in case it gets cold out or even a thermometer)