PDA

View Full Version : Warbonnets wants

attroll
03-28-2009, 16:35
I have been the proud owner of a Blackbird for a while now.

This is a hypothetical question, sort of.

If you could change or would want something added to the blackbird to make it better what would it be?

GvilleDave
03-28-2009, 16:49
Warbonnet T-shirt.

Mustardman
03-28-2009, 17:00
The only thing I'd add to the blackbird would be a better way to secure the pad. Even with the double layer, the dang thing is so HUGE inside that the pad can move around a bit.

intheswim
03-28-2009, 17:02
More color options, especially black! Blackbird hammocks should be available in black IMHO. ;p

Bigger triangle rings on the straps to make it easier to loosen.

Some way to hang back the netting when you don't need the bug net without having to get out of the hammock.

We got a foot box, would a head box make it even more comfortable? hehehe

Little pieces of fabric tied on the zippers for easier pulling. I know this is an easy thing for everyone to do , but i'm just trying to help. 8)

attroll
03-28-2009, 17:07
Yes I agree with the big space for the pad with the double layer. I have found that you can not just slide the pad in and leave it. There is a little aligning to do but it is not a real big problem. The way it is sewn together it is just a second layer sewn on top of another layer and it goes all the way up the sides of the hammock until it meets the netting on both sides. These leaves a lot of space in between layers. It would be nice to set it up so that it does not go all the way up the sides but I can not think of a better way so I have no suggestions.

Quoddy
03-28-2009, 17:26
Due to a right shoulder problem I am only able to lay on my left side, so my feet extend to the left. If the foot "pocket" was available on the opposite side, I'd be interested in one, but right now, without that, there isn't a great advantage over the Speer I already have.

BillyBob58
03-28-2009, 17:51
A way to bring the right side "wall" and net down closer to the same height as the left side is. This would allow it to work better with the PeaPod, like my Claytor does. And a cure for the left calf pressure I feel just as with all other gathered end hammocks. Though this varies from hang to hang, or from person to person(I may be the only one who feels this with this hammock) and is probably not a problem when using a leg pad with a torso UQ or with something under your knees, it would be more excellent with out this gathered end effect. In fact, if I didn't feel the calf pressure I don't think I would even need anything under my knees with this hammock.

Shug
03-28-2009, 18:11
Although it is designed to be the perfect length ... an easy to adjust ridge line.

JayS
03-28-2009, 18:16
One in every house.

Oh, I'll be first. Pick me, pick me! (hand waving frantically..)

deadeye
03-28-2009, 18:45
A left-footedBB (assuming mne is right-footed)

April Fool
03-28-2009, 18:52
I'm pretty sure Brandon will customize the side of the footbox for us. Didn't someone get this done recently?

GOLFER
03-28-2009, 19:39
Due to a right shoulder problem I am only able to lay on my left side, so my feet extend to the left. If the foot "pocket" was available on the opposite side, I'd be interested in one, but right now, without that, there isn't a great advantage over the Speer I already have.

you can order the BBwith the footbox on the left side. I did and when you order you just say in your email that you would like a lefty.

cavediver2
03-28-2009, 19:52
A detachable weather shield I think should do it

Coldspring
03-28-2009, 19:52
The zipper pulls are just too small, and really need an attached string.

I don't like the overhead netting on the left side. It is hard to duck underneath, and I often knock the shockcord off the groundstake and have to redo everything. I wish the pull outs on the side were attached to the hammock body instead of the netting.

I don't like the material they are made from, it is too slick, it does sag a lot, and it seems cold to the touch.

I wish there was an option to have netting above the zipper, instead of more fabric, and also on the top part of the footbox. It blocks a lot of wind, but if I use it this summer I am going to roast from not having a breeze in the heat and humidity. You can't see out of it either.

I wish you could take all the netting off, or get it out of the way.

I can't seem to get my torso UQ to stay in place. It always slips off to the rightside while I sleep and roll, and then I freeze. There is not way to grab it without a zipper on the right side, so it wears me out to fight with it all night.

A zipper on both sides would be nice.

I don't like the white and thin amsteel blue line, it's not so much an issue with a strap suspension, but I've never liked the stuff. It is not very good for knot tying, and if you mess up you sure can't get it untied.

I wish the ridgeline had an adjustment and wasn't made out of the amsteel blue.

I wish the whipping had some kind of covering, it just looks unrefined.

I don't like the white stretchcord, it's just not a pretty color.

I've only slept in mine a few nights, so far I've awakened with a sore right shoulder half the nights. (I don't have shoulder problems) I can't figure out how to lay to the right at al w/o feeling the pressure on the rightside, and when I lean to the left my underquilt slips to the right side and I can't retrieve it. I've been just fine in other hammocks, after a night's sleep.

I've never tried to put a pad in it, I only got the double layer for mosquito protection, but I know it's hard to keep a pad in place in these kind of hammocks w/o a channel or pocket.

I think it's actually more comfortable to sleep with my head in the footbox, as there is more shoulder room, but I suffocate that way.

I wish it had a logo or tag somewhere.

That's all I can think of right now, but it's only been four nights of use.

fin
03-28-2009, 19:57
A tab or an attachment point sewn at the top "point" of the footbox. That would allow you to "custom fit" your UQ to totally cover the footbox by adding an extra attachment point on your UQ.

Tie-backs on the bugnet.

A pretty girl with a cold (or warm, depending on the season) beverage and a warm sandwich standing near the hammock at all times, that only says nice things, and sings you to sleep while massaging you.;)

A "triple layer," inside the current double layer, that is made entirely of $100 bills. :rolleyes:

Buy one, get one free.:lol:

GOLFER
03-28-2009, 20:04

I don't like the overhead netting on the left side. It is hard to duck underneath, and I often knock the shockcord off the groundstake and have to redo everything. I wish the pull outs on the side were attached to the hammock body instead of the netting.

I don't like the material they are made from, it is too slick, it does sag a lot, and it seems cold to the touch.

I wish there was an option to have netting above the zipper, instead of more fabric, and also on the top part of the footbox. It blocks a lot of wind, but if I use it this summer I am going to roast from not having a breeze in the heat and humidity. You can't see out of it either.

I wish you could take all the netting off, or get it out of the way.

I can't seem to get my torso UQ to stay in place. It always slips off to the rightside while I sleep and roll, and then I freeze. There is not way to grab it without a zipper on the right side, so it wears me out to fight with it all night.

A zipper on both sides would be nice.

I don't like the white and thin amsteel blue line, it's not so much an issue with a strap suspension, but I've never liked the stuff. It is not very good for knot tying, and if you mess up you sure can't get it untied.

I've only slept in mine a few nights, so far I've awakened with a sore right shoulder half the nights. (I don't have shoulder problems) I can't figure out how to lay to the right at al w/o feeling the pressure on the rightside, and when I lean to the left my underquilt slips to the right side and I can't retrieve it. I've been just fine in other hammocks, after a night's sleep.

I've never tried to put a pad in it, I only got the double layer for mosquito protection, but I know it's hard to keep a pad in place in these kind of hammocks w/o a channel or pocket.

I think it's actually more comfortable to sleep with my head in the footbox, as there is more shoulder room, but I suffocate that way.

That's all I can think of right now, but it's only been four nights of use.

maybe you should just sell it and buy a eno hammock.

GOLFER
03-28-2009, 20:08
A tab or an attachment point sewn at the top "point" of the footbox. That would allow you to "custom fit" your UQ to totally cover the footbox by adding an extra attachment point on your UQ.

Tie-backs on the bugnet.

A pretty girl with a cold (or warm, depending on the season) beverage and a warm sandwich standing near the hammock at all times, that only says nice things, and sings you to sleep while massaging you.;)

A "triple layer," inside the current double layer, that is made entirely of $100 bills. :rolleyes:

better yet buy 1 get 2 free

And what about hammock service you know like room service.

How's about a ridgeline mesh pocket to hold a drink from hammock service.

Coldspring
03-28-2009, 20:15
maybe you should just sell it and buy a eno hammock.

I don't know what to do yet, I thought the Blackbird was supposed to be the be all and end all of hammock innovation.

I'm actually thinking about a Hennessy Explorer Ultralight with zipper mods, if only they had a double layer for the mosquitoes. I've got the UL Backpacker with the zipper mods and it is a comfortable and functional hammock, I just wish it was a little larger.

animalcontrol
03-28-2009, 20:18
Feel free to tie a small piece of cord or grosgrain to the zipper to improve the feel

I'd suggest you watch Shug's tutorial here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxevtxnkmkk&feature=related) at 1:10 minute mark. Might help...

I wish there was an option to have netting above the zipper and on the top part of the footbox. It blocks a lot of wind, but if I use it this summer I am going to roast from not having a breeze in the heat and humidity. You can't see out of it either.
I have no problem seeing out of it. Here is a pic I took from inside the hammock.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/5/3/4/img_0026_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=5334&c=2)
You can't see out of it??

I had the same problem...fixed it using techniques from this thread. here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7527)
BTW, I've had the same issues (UQ moving with me) on every hammock I've owned.

Again, feel free to add an adjustable ridgeline. Very easy to do...

Not a pretty color? :confused:
LMAO...swap it out with black then...:laugh:

GOLFER
03-28-2009, 20:22
I don't know what to do yet, I thought the Blackbird was supposed to be the be all and end all of hammock innovation.

I'm actually thinking about a Hennessy Explorer Ultralight with zipper mods, if only they had a double layer for the mosquitoes. I've got the UL Backpacker with the zipper mods and it is a comfortable and functional hammock, I just wish it was a little larger.

you could get a double layer warbonnet traveler and have 2questions modify with the zippers like the hennesy.

animalcontrol
03-28-2009, 20:25
Yea, when is any piece of equipment the "end of innovation"? Nothing fits everyone...and some people simply don't want to be satisfied.
You want to sell it...let me know. Better yet, put it up for sale here and see if it lasts 1 day...

I'd suggest you stick with the HHUL...seems to fit you better (with all the mods, of course). Maybe you can find someone to add a second layer...ask around, plenty of creative DIY people here

BillyBob58
03-28-2009, 20:44

That is a good hammock ( my original, I still pretty much like it), and with the HHSS UC, it has essentially a double layer for mossy defense. If I had the zipper mods on it, it would probably still be a main contender for me for use with either the SS or PeaPod. I have not yet tried the MWUQ on it, but I'm sure it would work just fine.

You are the first one I've heard of who wasn't really comfortable in the BB. My only complaint was the typical left calf pressure, which I might be more sensitive to than most, and I didn't have much luck on my right side, though I was fine on my left or in fetal. You can probably get a refund or if not it should be real easy to sell. Or maybe you just need to work with it some more.

trigger hurt
03-28-2009, 20:45
I have only one suggestion, and it's one that someone mentioned previously. It has to do with a sleeping pad. Now, this isn't such a bit deal now that I've decided to get an SPE, but here goes anyway.

Some method of securing a sleeping pad to the hammock. This can be done, I figure, in a multitude of ways. These could be optional accessories.

1- Hook and Loop. One side sewn into the hammock material. I'm not sure how it would stand up to the stresses of the hammock with someone in it, which leads me to my second suggestion.

2- Pad Pocket. Yes, I know the double layered hammocks have a spot to put the pad in, but think of this added to it. A strip of fabric a few inches long at the foot, head and middle of the hammock. Slip the pad under the sections of fabric. Voila, no slippy slidy pad.

To be honest, my problem hasn't really been having the pad slide out from under me. It's been me rolling off of the pad. Perhaps Brandon could make the first hammock belts to hold me in place :).

headchange4u
03-28-2009, 21:08

The BB is just another step in the evolution of the camping hammock. I don't think will ever be a be all end all hammocks, or at least I hope not. I think there will always be people like me and the other DIY'ers out there that will always be tweaking, trimming, cutting, sewing, and experimenting.

Overall I'm really happy with my BB. It's very comfortable and roomy. I would like to see something like velcro to hold the edges of the 2 layers together. Not the whole length of the hammock, just a piece here and there would suffice.

I would also like to see a loop placed at the corner of the footbox. I have never had a problem with my under quilt and the footbox area, but the loop would be nice to have just in case you needed it.

Oh yeah... and some tie backs for the bug netting.

Better yet, put it up for sale here and see if it lasts 1 day...

I'd bet my BB that it wouldn't last much more than 15 minutes. It would be a record for sure:p :lol:

Mustardman
03-28-2009, 21:20

I mean, you had so many criticisms that actually affect the use of the hammock, did you REALLY need to include trivial crap like this? Honestly, it sounds like you're just looking for things to nitpick at this point. The color of the stretch cord and the whipping looking "unrefined"???? That's just silly. :lol:

You made some good points about why the blackbird doesn't seem like the right hammock for you, why trivialize those points with this goofiness?

For what it's worth, I too had some issues with getting the blackbird perfectly dialed when I first started using it - the way the shock cord attaches to the netting was weird to get used to, and I was tending to hang it too tight, with the feet too high, and had some trouble getting comfortable. Once I got those issues sorted, though, the blackbird has been a dream. You have obviously used hammocks other than the BB, so maybe you're doing something that worked well with them, and doesn't work well with the BB - I would experiment a bit more before you're so harsh on the design.

And maybe it's just not the right hammock for you, in which case, I'm sure Brandon would take it back, or someone on these forums will buy it up in a heartbeat.

warbonnetguy
03-28-2009, 21:39
coldspring, the lay should be very similar to your traveler. what are the fabric weights of each, i can't remember. fabric weights would be the only thing that would cause more shoulder squeeze that i can think of.

that's my torso uq isn't it? try tightening up the shockcord, if it's tighter, it'll stay put better. i use it pretty tight lately and it seems to work better.

you shouldn't be ducking under the pull tabs on the entrance side, approach from the foot end and sit down in the center, or even a little past. there is a black reinforcement patch between the footbox and the shelf, it's about in the middle of hammock. when i sit down, the pulltab is at least a foot to my left.

for more shoulder room, try laying your torso slightly more towards center. it'll probably form a groove there so to speak. your shoulder should be no farther over than the zipper, and that still leaves 8" to the net for shoulder room. pull tabs should be one just above and the other just below your shoulder.

Mule
03-28-2009, 21:49

Tie-backs on the bugnet.

I would like to make a second plea for loops to hole the underquilt where it needs to be for the footbox, then other loops near the head end to hold it diagonally as it needs to be to keep your left shoulder covered with underquilt. I have put these mods on mine and use shock cord to pull the underquilt in position and keep it there for the night. Mule

koaloha05
03-28-2009, 22:43
Relative to the two previous hammocks owned the BB is the hammock of choice. Any improvements I would like to see are minor tweaks that are easy DIY minor tasks.

The 1.1 single as is with a few mods (tab pull strings, suspension points for UQ & WS, wing tie out mods) is fine for warm weather hanging.

Would consider a full zipper fly on a double layer with a pad slip design that keeps the pad from drifting around. The added weight of the second layer would be offset by removing the bug net when not needed during cooler bug free season.

Not a real big fan of the AmSteel suspension line. No problems as a structural ridgeline. Slippery & flattening when using ring/Garda hitch. Revert to the simple no ring attach to the tree huggers using a slipped buntline hitch. Not a significant issue. Will probably change line after the AmSteel wears out allowing for ring/Garda option. A quick and convient method of attachment especially in a cold rain/snow.

Cannibal
03-28-2009, 22:50
I cut some ripstop scraps and tied tails to the zipper tabs; just made life a wee bit easier. I'd like some color choices too! The 1.1 is a really nice color gray, but I would like a black 1.7 Blackbird. No real reason, just seems cool.

Mustardman
03-28-2009, 22:55
I cut some ripstop scraps and tied tails to the zipper tabs; just made life a wee bit easier. I'd like some color choices too! The 1.1 is a really nice color gray, but I would like a black 1.7 Blackbird. No real reason, just seems cool.

I cut some pieces of reflective cord and tied them to the zipper tabs.... I also do this on just about every other piece of gear I own which has zippers. I so totally don't understand how this is any sort of issue whatsoever.

Coldspring
03-29-2009, 02:36
I mean, you had so many criticisms that actually affect the use of the hammock, did you REALLY need to include trivial crap like this? Honestly, it sounds like you're just looking for things to nitpick at this point. The color of the stretch cord and the whipping looking "unrefined"???? That's just silly. :lol:

You made some good points about why the blackbird doesn't seem like the right hammock for you, why trivialize those points with this goofiness?

Well, I just laid out all the things I could think of, off of the top of my head.

If I buy something for $170 and I then have to go out and do a bunch of mods and replacements, I think I have a right to have a few complaints. It really gets to be a hassle to find all this stuff.

Is the Blackbird a commercial product, or is it a DIY product? I'm not a MYOG or DIY person, I like simplicity. And how many times do I have to experiment to get it dialed in? My arm and shoulder are still sore tonight, and it's been some time since I was in the hammock.

Wasn't there a thread about a Blackbird cult a while back? When I see everyone incapable of finding any faults it makes me wonder. I guess I'm just goofy and stupid though.

LostCause
03-29-2009, 04:07
Honestly, I think some of you have been a bit hard on coldspring.
I don't own a BB but I am very impressed with the design and with the quality of work by warbonnetguy. But that doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement. I understand that some of you are very protective of your BB's (who wouldn't be? it looks awesome!), but the nature of this thread was to discuss ways of improvements. Coldspring did nothing other than that.

I have almost purchased a BB so many times, but I can't get past the idea that I want to make most if not all of my own gear. My DIY skills aren't there yet, but in time they will be. I'm a proud member here on HF and I like the fact that we share ideas for improvement. Some things work for some, some things work for most, but nothing will work for all.

For example: I know a couple of people that think it's weird to sleep in a hammock and a few more that won't even TRY one out.

To each their own, hike your own hike, and your mileage may vary. Hammock or tent, at least you're in the woods.

And to keep this post somewhat on topic... I too would like to see a black 1.7 BB. I think I would own one already if it was offered.

attroll
03-29-2009, 06:28
Thank you Coldspring for you inputs. This thread was design for inputs for changes or additions that BB owners would like to see done. Your inputs were helpful to what I was looking for. I can see where others may have thought that you were getting nit picky but I asked the question and you replied. Thank you very much.

tomsawyer222
03-29-2009, 06:47
like cold spring said it would be nice to have netting above the zipper on the left side it would give more "sideview" myabe even just a little window or something also would help with summer heat .

living here in SC now i have come to respect how hot it gets here in the swamps and i find myself not just needing a winter quilt and summer quilt but also a hammock for each extreme. Just making a BB with more netting maybe on the side and over the foot box would really ventilate when it is 85 degrees at night with 100% humidity.

Really though this type of thread probably helps brandon tons he gets free R&D for his hammock company so the more picky we are the more we help him out.

fin
03-29-2009, 07:05

Easily fixed by adding glowpulls (http://www.lighthound.com/gallery.asp?catalogid=740).

Both of mine are custom fabric. As long as you talk to him ahead of time, and can find fabric that meets the required width, Brandon will make it in your own fabric.

I know what you mean about the fabric panel between the zipper and the bugnet. You feel blind to the right or left looking at the fabric panel while laying in the hammock. Not a terrible thing, but could be improved in just the way you suggested. That is actually a very good idea, and would make an excellent mod! Or even to make the fabric panel a zip-off or dropdown panel, to reveal a bugnet mesh! I had planned on doing that for a permanent zip-off topcover, but it makes even more sense to do it here for summer breathability and for the ability to see! That would be TOO COOL!. It would add weight, and some gram weenies may not like that But I really, really like that idea. Maybe even just add a couple of small 1/2 length zip-off fabric panels, with a non-zipoff bugnet backing. Like small windows.:cool:

fin
03-29-2009, 07:20
Wasn't there a thread about a Blackbird cult a while back? When I see everyone incapable of finding any faults it makes me wonder. I guess I'm just goofy and stupid though.

We are all goofy and stupid, according to some that refuse to look at alternative options, and only see and understand their narrow view of life.

I don't think anyone meant to come down hard on you - they are just protective of one of our own - a great person, and a great product. The Blackbird Cult.;) Can it be improved? Absolutely. And your comments were constructive observations from your point of view, which is the context of this thread - not meant to just be critical. I love the idea of the bugnet panel - brilliant idea.

I don't own a BB but I am very impressed with the design and with the quality of work by warbonnetguy. But that doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement. I understand that some of you are very protective of your BB's (who wouldn't be? it looks awesome!), but the nature of this thread was to discuss ways of improvements. Coldspring did nothing other than that.

Agreed, wholeheartedly. Not everyone is happy with their out-of-the-box equipment, and not everyone is a DIY-er that enjoys making mods on their own. I like making mods, but would also like some things to be options that you could choose so I wouldn't have to make the mods, even if it meant raising the price a little for the different options.

Thank you Coldspring for you inputs. This thread was design for inputs for changes or additions that BB owners would like to see done. Your inputs were helpful to what I was looking for. I can see where others may have thought that you were getting nit picky but I asked the question and you replied. Thank you very much.

His comments were very helpful to me, as well. I think Brandon can get some good fodder from this thread.

Oh, yes - The BB should be offered in Black in whatever weight. It is the BlackBird, after all.:laugh:

BillyBob58
03-29-2009, 07:21
like cold spring said it would be nice to have netting above the zipper on the left side it would give more "sideview" myabe even just a little window or something also would help with summer heat .

living here in SC now i have come to respect how hot it gets here in the swamps and i find myself not just needing a winter quilt and summer quilt but also a hammock for each extreme. Just making a BB with more netting maybe on the side and over the foot box would really ventilate when it is 85 degrees at night with 100% humidity.

Really though this type of thread probably helps brandon tons he gets free R&D for his hammock company so the more picky we are the more we help him out.

Did you mean on the "right" side? EDIT: (Or, maybe not, I guess there is some fabric above the zipper on the left side) If so, that is the "wall" I have referred to, which in addition to preventing visibility out of the right side, also keeps the PeaPod from being optimum fit on the right side. That is nitpicking from me, because it is really no worse on the right side than it is on BOTH sides with the Speer hammock for which the PeaPod was designed. But it would work a little better if that "wall" or some netting in it's place were either removable or at least designed to allow moving fully out of the way.

Of course, it is just as easy to use a WBUQ or MWUQ with the BB and not worry about the Pod. But I really do still like the PeaPod and hate to not be able to use it with this hammock as an option- although I can use it, but it is "lifted" some on the right side, not really a huge deal. Or, if I must use the Pod while trying to maximize top warmth without adding a top quilt, then I could just stick with my Claytor No Net with which the Pod works perfectly, and I don't have to carry the weigh of the net.

And for all I know, altering the right side "wall" or making it removable or replacing with netting would alter the basic characteristics of how the BB works with it's footbox and shelf and all. Love that shelf!

I have trouble with all netted hammocks when it is even moderately warm. I tend to be hot with the net closed ( in the humid south anyway) but can't survive without a mossy net, or lot's of deet (can't stand that either). So mostly I am a cool weather camper.

NorseAmerican
03-29-2009, 08:16

I know Brandon has offered to someone online here to do a reverse BB.

animalcontrol
03-29-2009, 08:20

It was not my intention to be hard on Coldspring...I simply was trying to address some of his easier concerns/suggestions.

I guess I misunderstood the intention of this thread. I assumed (my fault) that if someone had an easily fixable issue, they would be open to someone suggesting a solution or a fix. How silly of me...

NorseAmerican
03-29-2009, 08:36
To be honest, my problem hasn't really been having the pad slide out from under me. It's been me rolling off of the pad. Perhaps Brandon could make the first hammock belts to hold me in place :).

I have a huge and lite 30x80 pad with taper at head and foot. Pad is 3/8 thick(only 11oz) and does not move around much. Try a wider pad, this may help. Also, the longer pad seems to help as well as it is more secure in the tapered ends.

NA

Mustardman
03-29-2009, 09:19
My arm and shoulder are still sore tonight, and it's been some time since I was in the hammock.

See thats my point, though - if the hammock is causing you that kind of discomfort and pain, thats a serious issue. Complaining about the color of the shock cord and size of the zipper pulls looks like you're just finding stuff to hate because you're grouchy from getting a bad night's sleep :lol:

It would be like one of us having to go to ground for a weekend, and ending up with a sore back, and then going on whiteblaze and posting a big rant about how we hate tents because the rain flys aren't pretty and we didn't like the color of the guy lines that came with it. Or how the included stakes were so crappy and I shouldn't have to upgrade to MSR Groundhogs because I'm not a DIYer.

By wasting time complaining about aesthetic nonsense, you take attention away from the important point - sleeping in the blackbird caused you pain! That's a pretty serious point, and one that's pretty darn surprising to those of us who love our blackbirds, and it's one worth devoting some attention to.

Shug
03-29-2009, 10:00
Slept in mine last night ..21º ... used the winter Yeti and was warm as could be. I now sleep with my feet in the footbox using the Yeti and a foot pad. Did get a "dead leg" for a bit from the middle ridge common to gathered end hammocks. I put a stuff sack with jacket in it under my knees and that helped. Happened with my DIY but I was able to adjust ridge lines and hang angles to find the sweet-spot.
EDIT...I think netting in the footbox would be terrific as my bag is always a bit damp even with just a pad. Venting would be stellar!!!
In the BB you are a bit more limited on the sweet spot.
I am going to play with the ridge line some and tweak it ... may or may not work but I am a "dinker".
I could find ways to improve everything I own if asked. I can find some faults in all my gear.
Also I understand that most of us want it perfect right out of the box. Of all the hammock companies offering products on here I have read pro's and con's on all of them. Yet we buy and tweak and mod and most of us still don't want to go to sleeping on the terra firma.
I truly enjoy my BB but equally love my DIY hammock. They are just tools to "get away" for me.
Shug

Mustardman
03-29-2009, 10:04
Did get a "dead leg" for a bit from the middle ridge common to gathered end hammocks. I put a stuff sack with jacket in it under my knees and that helped. Happened with my DIY but I was able to adjust ridge lines and hang angles to find the sweet-spot.
In the BB you are a bit more limited on the sweet spot.
I am going to play with the ridge line some and tweak it ... may or may not work but I am a "dinker".

I have found the leg ridge goes away almost completely if I hang it pretty loose. I would imagine shortening the ridge line by an inch or so would do a lot to eliminate it.

neo
03-29-2009, 10:40
The only thing I'd add to the blackbird would be a better way to secure the pad. Even with the double layer, the dang thing is so HUGE inside that the pad can move around a bit.

pads dont work well in an asymetrical double bottom hammock,they work great in the rectangler shaped claytor,dd,and jrb hammocks:cool:neo

kmat
03-29-2009, 10:47
I see Warbonnetguy addressed the shoulder concerns in post #25. Lots of good (free) R&D for Brandon as well. Not everyone will like the same hammock out of the box, but some tweaking will be needed for each individual. If you can't find a solution on this forum it must be broke, because there are some awesome DIY'ers here with a solution to just about everything I have read here. If it doesn't work for you list it here for sale and try something else. Hike your own hike! Be happy!
kmat

warbonnetguy
03-29-2009, 10:48
as for the knee ridge, you can try hanging it a little looser, also if you "kick" the bunched up fabric out from under your knees that seems to help too, and scooting up or down a little.

netting over the footbox wouldn't help much with ventilation, and it and the shelf are one piece of fabric so both would have to be net and i'm not thrilled about that.

there is nothing that can be done with the wall on the right side, it's part of the end gathered hammock, especially a wide one where you lay diagonal.

new zip pulls are on the way, ykk actually told me they didn't have any of the ones i wanted here in the us, so they're coming from japan by boat, should be here in several more weeks, will be a longer shiny colored pull.

shock cord is white so you won't trip on it, i always tripped on black shockcord, not too many other color options.

i am getting some black 1.1, so "black"birds may be possible again eventually.

i did make a change to the pad pocket seam. i opened it some in the left shoulder area so you have access to the corner of the pad for easier pad adjustment or to reach an air valve. this can easily be done with a seam ripper and a couple backtacks at the start/stop points.

coldspring. if you're not used to sleeping on your right side and you slept on it all night then i could see that making your right shoulder sore. sounds like that's not the way you normally sleep, but resorted to it due to the uq slideing out from under you. like i said before, if you tighten it up more (so the loop of sc is a couple inches smaller than the perimeter of the uq) it will be more stable. you can also unzip enough to get your hand out there to grab it for adjustments. last resort might be attaching a small piece of string to the edge and then tying it off to the pulltab so it can't slide so far over.

if you've only used it 4 times, you can still return it if you want. maybe the travel net would be a better option for you if your other hammock is comfy enough.

i do appreciate people's ideas, i'm not going to be able to make every improvement i get of course, but i have made a few and the ones i don't, it's not because i don't think it's a good idea, but making signifigant changes to the design is pretty time consumeing for me and i really have to pick and choose what i can do. my designs are always evolveing and new ideas are always being thought up. i've actually got a couple more things in the works that have been mentioned by folks here.

Coldspring
03-29-2009, 11:44
coldspring. if you're not used to sleeping on your right side and you slept on it all night then i could see that making your right shoulder sore. sounds like that's not the way you normally sleep, but resorted to it due to the uq slideing out from under you. like i said before, if you tighten it up more (so the loop of sc is a couple inches smaller than the perimeter of the uq) it will be more stable. you can also unzip enough to get your hand out there to grab it for adjustments. last resort might be attaching a small piece of string to the edge and then tying it off to the pulltab so it can't slide so far over.

I'm not giving up on it yet. I'm going to set it up in the yard, today, and tinker.

I was thinking of doing something to hold the UQ in place the previous time I slept in it, I just never got around to it. I'm thinking some kind of loops with adjustment buckles would hold UQs in place...should be an option. I've always thought having a hammock body perimeter strip with tool/accessory loops at various points would be really handy for lots of things.

The zippers tabs aren't a big deal, but I wish you could find some that were longer with a rubberized coating or something. I'm glad I read this forum, because I never would have thought of using grosgrain, makes sense, and will be better than the strings I have in there now.

On the footbox netting and adding netting above the zipper, I think it would help some people as a tropical option. There are parts of the country that have high humidity and it is just miserable.

I don't know if I'll ever like the amsteel blue line, but it is lightweight.

Shug
03-29-2009, 11:57
netting over the footbox wouldn't help much with ventilation, and it and the shelf are one piece of fabric so both would have to be net and i'm not thrilled about that.
Hey Brandon....My question ... could there be a square panel of mesh bugnet in that top panel on the footbox? Or would that disintegrate the structural integrity of the design?

warbonnetguy
03-29-2009, 14:50
i think theoretically you could do that (cut in a window), but i think being enclosed in ripstop and netting will still be hot in the summer. netting still stops alot of small breezes. a small window there might catch a little breeze if it hits it right, but it's a pretty major mod and i'm not sure it would make that much difference although i could be wrong.

Cannibal
03-29-2009, 14:56
Do you think you could figure out a way to create a UL beer tap for the BB? Close to the shelf would be fine, thanks!;):D

GOLFER
03-29-2009, 14:59
Brandon how are you ,
Is there a possibility to create a half screened BB. with all the designs that are on the BB footbox and shelf. I'm wondering if you were to still put those on with the bug netting attached but, here me out,but with the netting going around the ridgeline and sewn back onto itself kinda like creating a small sleave, like a snake skin just the same size the whole way down essentially the netting is wrapped around the ridgline not sewn to it. this would allow the footbox support as well as the shelf. But one side of the hammock would be wide open for things like star gazers . Or easy exit . Even if it went around and connected with velcro.

just a thought,
TY
P.S. I'll still loooove my blackbird thanks again chief.

kayaknut01
03-29-2009, 16:12
just a thought make a bb in black call it a limited edition??

Coldspring
03-29-2009, 18:13
Well, I tinkered around with mine. I tightened the ridgeline quite a lot, and I let it all the way out. I adjusted the strapping, but I didn't tie to trees of different spaces apart. I still have issues with that right wall putting pressure on my right arm and shoulder. The two nights I didn't have shoulder problems, I was hung up between two trees that were a lot closer together than I ever have, (I was with a car camping group and didn't have any other trees to choose from)

How about putting netted footboxes on all four corners? Would it work?

attroll
03-29-2009, 19:12
Well, I tinkered around with mine. I tightened the ridgeline quite a lot, and I let it all the way out. I adjusted the strapping, but I didn't tie to trees of different spaces apart. I still have issues with that right wall putting pressure on my right arm and shoulder. The two nights I didn't have shoulder problems, I was hung up between two trees that were a lot closer together than I ever have, (I was with a car camping group and didn't have any other trees to choose from)

How about putting netted footboxes on all four corners? Would it work?

This may sound like a stupid question but forgive me. Are you laying at a diagonal in your BB like you are suppose to? I really can not understand how you getting the pressure on your right arm. I am just trying to help.

Coldspring
03-29-2009, 20:51
This may sound like a stupid question but forgive me. Are you laying at a diagonal in your BB like you are suppose to? I really can not understand how you getting the pressure on your right arm. I am just trying to help.

Yup. It's a comfortable hammock, except for that right wall. It's actually more comfortable to lay in it backwards.

BillyBob58
03-29-2009, 22:10
Slept in mine last night ..21º ... used the winter Yeti and was warm as could be. I now sleep with my feet in the footbox using the Yeti and a foot pad. Did get a "dead leg" for a bit from the middle ridge common to gathered end hammocks. I put a stuff sack with jacket in it under my knees and that helped. Happened with my DIY but I was able to adjust ridge lines and hang angles to find the sweet-spot. ............
Shug

So, that problem is not just me, as I had been suspecting. But, to a more or less degree, if you want gathered end ( and sometimes I do), I think this is a problem you have to work around, no matter brand. At least for me. For me, it would probably be the absolute number one reason for me to choose a bridge hammock over gathered end, though I might have some other reasons to choose gathered end.

BillyBob58
03-29-2009, 22:16
i think theoretically you could do that (cut in a window), but i think being enclosed in ripstop and netting will still be hot in the summer. netting still stops alot of small breezes....
Yep, that has been my experience.

BillyBob58
03-29-2009, 22:19
Yup. It's a comfortable hammock, except for that right wall. It's actually more comfortable to lay in it backwards.

So you are against that right wall with your right shoulder when laying diagonal with your left shoulder near the left zippers?

DeShazo
03-29-2009, 22:25
I love my BB, the only thing on here that I saw that I would like personally would be a cool Warbonnet logo on a tag somewhere for all to see. I love this thing, so much I ordered 2 more for my kids and now my wife who doesn't even camp wants theirs if they decide they don't like it (yeah, right), which means I will be ordering another one in a few more weeks. In the words of Cannibal "Warbonnet ON!"

Gordzilla
03-30-2009, 00:25
I have a little trick that might help you with the ducking under the wing thing, Coldspring. First I added a small plastic clip onto the metal ring on the wing tie out. I clip the shock cord to that so it is noe detachable quickly. Once I have set up everything the way I want, I detach the shockcord on that side and flip the bugnetting over the top. I then use a length of mason line that also has a small clip on it, and I hook this to the shock cord. both of these lay nicely out of the way when I dont need the lid on. Come bedtime I get in, flip the bugnetting back into place, use the mason line to pull the shock cord to me, and clip it back onto the wing. zip and done.
I don't know if it'll help anyone but I agree that hanging it slightly looser helped me to alleviate and basically eliminate the "ridge" on the legs. I feel it no more. I also built some glow in the dark pull tabs for my zipper. Youcan make em out of anything that glows. Those stars and moons sets for kids ceilings comes to mind quickly. I made mine out of glowing rubber fishing tackle. I think it would be cool if all the above things came standard.

And I most totally agree with black 1.7, an ul beertap, and a "flight attendant/masseuse" for flying air warbonnet. :D

warbonnetguy
03-30-2009, 00:53
i played around with the tensions some too and found that it does seem like the knee ridge is more pronounced the more force is on the rl, loosening up the hammock (higher sag angle) seemed to help alot. it's weird, because i could tell a difference between tighter and looser, the rl sagged in neither so the ridge distance is the same, but there was a difference for me, and looser seemed much better on the left leg.

warbonnetguy
03-30-2009, 00:55
Brandon how are you ,
Is there a possibility to create a half screened BB. with all the designs that are on the BB footbox and shelf. I'm wondering if you were to still put those on with the bug netting attached but, here me out,but with the netting going around the ridgeline and sewn back onto itself kinda like creating a small sleave, like a snake skin just the same size the whole way down essentially the netting is wrapped around the ridgline not sewn to it. this would allow the footbox support as well as the shelf. But one side of the hammock would be wide open for things like star gazers . Or easy exit . Even if it went around and connected with velcro.

just a thought,
TY
P.S. I'll still loooove my blackbird thanks again chief.

the footbox and shelf aren't supported by the netting at all, they are self supported i guess you could say, so when you throw the netting over the rl there should be no problem.

GOLFER
03-30-2009, 05:13
the footbox and shelf aren't supported by the netting at all, they are self supported i guess you could say, so when you throw the netting over the rl there should be no problem.

does the traveling hammock you make have the footbox at least. I was thinking the shelf would be usable with the screen on and around the ridgeline so nothing would fall off the shelf.

TY

NorseAmerican
03-30-2009, 06:00
I just want another one. And I want a yetti, and a supperfly, and and and.....

NA

Shug
03-30-2009, 08:11
I just want another one. And I want a yetti, and a supperfly, and and and.....
NA
Slept out in my BB night before last .... 21º the low ... breezy ... tarp in porch mode on purpose to let breezes in. Used the Winter over-stuffed Yeti that I got from Brandon and was warm, warm, warm. No cold butt, back warm. CCF small pad under feet.
20º Western Mountaineering bag as Top Quilt. Almost too warm. Wore Smartwool thin socks, long underwear polypro REI, SW shirt, balaclava. Sweet!

NorseAmerican
03-30-2009, 08:26
Slept out in my BB night before last .... 21º the low ... breezy ... tarp in porch mode on purpose to let breezes in. Used the Winter over-stuffed Yeti that I got from Brandon and was warm, warm, warm. No cold butt, back warm. CCF small pad under feet.
20º Western Mountaineering bag as Top Quilt. Almost too warm. Wore Smartwool thin socks, long underwear polypro REI, SW shirt, balaclava. Sweet!

SWEET!
I am 2 days away to paypal on the new BB 1.1 double and Superfly!
I found a gardening pad which will fit nicely in foot box area and is about 1" thick-so great seat pad as well. Not sure if I am going to pull the plug on the Yetti yet, as summer is aproching and winter start of AT is not for sure at this point.

Mrprez
03-30-2009, 08:40
Just paid for mine this morning....

warbonnetguy
03-30-2009, 10:39
does the traveling hammock you make have the footbox at least. I was thinking the shelf would be usable with the screen on and around the ridgeline so nothing would fall off the shelf.

TY

that's the way it is now, try it and see, you throw the netting over or under the rl and the shelf still works just fine.

travel hammock doesn't have shelf. it has half of the footbox, (lacks the part over your feet.)

GOLFER
03-30-2009, 20:40
that's the way it is now, try it and see, you throw the netting over or under the rl and the shelf still works just fine.

travel hammock doesn't have shelf. it has half of the footbox, (lacks the part over your feet.)

no no brandon I fully understand that they don't need to be attached to the ridgeline for support. What I mean is if there was no netting on top of the shelf then the shelf would be sensless. You say that the travel hammock only has a partial footbox why is that if it is self supporting.I watched shugs video and saw that the design allowed for the footbox and shelf to be self supporting I'm not sure what I'm saying now.

If anything I hope this gets you creative juices flowing!

TY

koaloha05
03-30-2009, 20:53
i played around with the tensions some too and found that it does seem like the knee ridge is more pronounced the more force is on the rl, loosening up the hammock (higher sag angle) seemed to help alot. it's weird, because i could tell a difference between tighter and looser, the rl sagged in neither so the ridge distance is the same, but there was a difference for me, and looser seemed much better on the left leg.

Coldsprings, have you tried hanging as Brandon noted above. At least with HH ULBP and the BB, maybe a characteristic of hammocks with structural ridge lines the higher sag angle seems to result in a flatter lay.

What weight/model fabric BB did you purchase. In another post Brandon noted the upper weight limit relative to flatness of lay for the 1.1 single is 140-150 lbs. Maybe a bit of shoulder squeeze might happen.

NorseAmerican
03-30-2009, 21:24
no no brandon I fully understand that they don't need to be attached to the ridgeline for support. What I mean is if there was no netting on top of the shelf then the shelf would be sensless. You say that the travel hammock only has a partial footbox why is that if it is self supporting.I watched shugs video and saw that the design allowed for the footbox and shelf to be self supporting I'm not sure what I'm saying now.

If anything I hope this gets you creative juices flowing!

TY

Golfer,
Shugs vidio is BB. The BB shelf without being tied out just hangs down and still has storage capabilities.

What did you get for UQ and OQ insulation?
Have some stuff on order from Bradon now-nice little mod on Supperfly. Not as cool as possible(promised to keep my mouth shut):cool::cool::cool:
Trying to complete the whole package:D

lori
04-01-2009, 08:45
I had an interesting issue my last night out - spent 3 nights in Henry Coe State Park, which is a little known area over in Santa Clara County.

We were camping in China Hole, a narrow canyon where two streams come together and there's these huge swimming holes. The hills are very steep and the established camping areas are sparsely decorated with trees; I ended up between a large poison oak covered black oak and a smaller live oak, and the head end was a foot from the tree and the foot end was about eight feet from the larger tree due to a bunch of small oak saplings I didn't want snagging the underquilt. To add to the fun, a huge oak branch was lying there on the ground and the highest point on the branch was right under the foot end.

I didn't even bother with a tarp, as I am using my huge Cathedral cat tarp and didn't want that torn up either. Regretted that. It got cold enough to deposit a layer of frost on everything. I had the driducks poncho around the foot end as protection from branches and ended up clipping it to the ridgeline as an overcover. I was cold on my shoulders and back. Got up twice shivering like crazy to adjust the foot end strap, as I'm guessing the setup isn't done stretching; I don't think it was slipping, but twice I felt the poky end of a branch off the larger oak branch on my heel:scared:

I tied my fleece on like a cape and the added layer was enough to offset the slight compression of the JRB Hudson River, which I'm absolutely positive would have been up to the task - been in freezing temps with it before and the top quilt was my second HR, and from that direction I was ferociously warm. I moved the prussik on the suspension from the knot in the amsteel to just above the whipping and was IMMEDIATELY beset with a huge cold spot the size of my torso - too loose! Took a wrap in the shock cord and it went back to the way it was. Given that I was freezing and trying to do all this by headlamp, moving the foot end strap down a tree covered with poison oak (I had gotten it up there mainly by use of hyperextended trekking pole trickery) to adjust the tight hang of the hammock to take the pressure off the quilt wasn't feasible. So I was a little cold - I still slept better than I ever did on the ground, and even better than in the HH.

Why those trees? I was with two other ladies, and ostensibly the leader of the group. Climbing up the hill to find better hanging options would have been antisocial, plus I kept feeling like we were being watched :eek: and wanted to stay with them - so they could protect me (one person brought bear spray, even though we weren't in bear country there were wild pigs, mountain lions and plenty of people). The youngest of us had my HHULB as a loaner and had staked out the oaks nearer the water.

Long story to get to my want - some ways of hooking quilts to it that are adjustable for different hang tensions. There are three logical points right now, over the rings, the amsteel knot, or at the whipping. Though it's probably easy enough to mod. I think that next time I will take two additional loops of shock cord to use as a few centimeters of length for the UQ cords, to adjust for odd hang situations.

Coldspring's litany of nitpicks sounds like the reverse of the nitpicks I had about the HH. ;) How personal taste can differ. I'm a side sleeper, and adapting to the hammock has included developing new positions, like the side-back with a half twist at the hip - sleeping on my side like I do in bed doesn't have to happen for me to be comfortable. I even sleep on my back now, where I hated doing that before. Trying to sleep on my side the way I do in bed would be uncomfortable long term. I wonder if Coldspring is working against the hammock fabric rather than with it. I also find that putting weight on the heels of my hands and spreading them to either side of me spreads the hammock fabric, making more room.

animalcontrol
04-01-2009, 10:22
I also find that putting weight on the heels of my hands and spreading them to either side of me spreads the hammock fabric, making more room.

I also do this, but never thought about it. :rolleyes:
Thanks for point it out!

plowhorse
04-01-2009, 11:27
hey lori i have thought about henry coe park myself. is it a nice place to go?

koaloha05
04-04-2009, 16:58
Have not seen a double layer live. Not sure if this modification is structurally possible: Replace the outside layer with a waterproof, but breathable built in weathershield with the ability to open or close off the head and foot ends plus allow some tension adjustment. Hot nights open up the ends, loosen all the tension to allow max air movement. Moderate nights seal it up. Cool nights hang the UQ, loosen the tension to avoid compression and adjust the head and foot ends to regulate temp.

Been using the 1.1 Single with the JRB WS2. HH ocf/sb and JRB UQ depending on temps. Works nice, but an integrated WS with side perimeter seal specifically cut for the BB would be simpler, cleaner and maybe overall lighter.

Plus another storage "shelf" when not needed to protect UQ.

Momentum body, Spinntex outer layer with nylon breathing panel. Lighter? Maybe noisy, definitely more $$$s.

schrochem
04-06-2009, 15:53
I don't know how many nights i have in my BB but it's a mighty fine hammock. It and a bridge are my favorites. I don't own a bed anymore so it's all I use unless I sleep over at someone else's place. I had slept inside my house all the time with the netting pulled to one side. This weekend I took it outside and actually had the zipper shut and that wing pulled out. It makes quite a difference in the spaciousness and feel at the head end.

I know the wings match and when you pull the one side over to get rid of the netting they mimick each other but i'd suggest looking into putting the zipper up between the netting and the nylon. The only reason for the change would be to give you that extra head room AND be able to have the netting off....no big deal though.

The other thing is measurements for and attachments for between layer material. Pads or other material (I like neat sheet folded over a few times) are what I'm talking about. I've fooled around a bit but if others come up with some nice dimensions (trapezoid of sorts) that would be cool. However, keep the **** thing in place is another ball of wax. I think I saw some material that is being bulk ordered. Well if it's like the neat sheet, I'd love to see it used as a 'pad' I did hand sew some loops in between the layers as attachment points but I don't think it worked for the shape of the neat sheet I had.
If there were attachment points already in there AND specifications for dimensions of what would fit, that would be sweet.
just a few bits from a lot of nights, comfortably sleeping in this thing. I need to find time to sew up another bridge (all my others are given away). Til then, this is my daily hammock....

Coldspring
04-13-2009, 09:34
I've been sleeping great in my Blackbird. I'm not sure what made the difference, but I'm liking it a lot better. :)

Maybe Brandon could call his next model the Dreamcatcher. For some reason, every time I sleep in the thing, I have the strangest and most intense dreams. Some of them are wonderful, some are downright scary. They are more interesting than renting a DVD.

animalcontrol
04-13-2009, 09:40
I've been sleeping great in my Blackbird. I'm not sure what made the difference, but I'm liking it a lot better. :)

Maybe Brandon could call his next model the Dreamcatcher. For some reason, every time I sleep in the thing, I have the strangest and most intense dreams. Some of them are wonderful, some are downright scary. They are more interesting than renting a DVD.
Happy to hear that you have been sleeping better :D

canoebie
04-13-2009, 10:25

I have the same experience in my hammock, I think it is because I get more REM sleep and therefore, more dreams.