PDA

View Full Version : MAHHA weekend

JollyGreen
09-10-2013, 06:35
Putting this out there now to give everyone some time to think about it and make plans and suggestions. Since MAHHA is now too far for many in the north east, how about a hang of our own that weekend? Maybe at the 501, Pine Barrens or anywhere else you might suggest. Feedback and/or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Date is Oct 19-20 weekend

Suede
09-10-2013, 07:01
I'm in if I'm in town. Won't know for a few weeks.

TDHanger
09-10-2013, 07:02
I would like to see a hang around central PA but a dif weekend

WV
09-10-2013, 08:23
Putting this out there now to give everyone some time to think about it and make plans and suggestions. Since MAHHA is now too far for many in the north east, how about a hang of our own that weekend? Maybe at the 501, Pine Barrens or anywhere else you might suggest. Feedback and/or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.
JollyGreen,
Thanks. I was hoping someone would suggest this. I want as many hangers as possible to see beautiful West Virginia, but I hate the thought of people missing out because they feel it's too far to travel in a weekend. I'm glad we have Pine Grove Furnace for the Spring MAHHA so we can all get together once a year (and that's at the outer limit of my weekend driving range), but I like the idea of Fall Micro-MAHHAs. That's just my opinion. As always, YMMV. :)

Union41Proud
09-10-2013, 12:03
I checked my work schedule and I'm off. I'd be willing and looking forward to making my first group hang.

HappyCamper
09-10-2013, 15:44
This is a great idea. Feel free to swipe any of the Fall MAHHA google docs as templates to help organize a hang closer to you all.

walterharold
09-11-2013, 19:28
Does anyone know of a good place in the Finger Lakes area that could Accommodate?

SilvrSurfr
09-11-2013, 21:24
Here is a thought. Why couldn't we still use Gathland State Park for alternative Fall MAHHA but cap the number of participants to make the park rangers happy?

I've always wanted to visit the Finger Lakes (ever since I read Theodore Dreiser's An American Tragedy), but I'd like a centrally located place that maximizes the amount of people that could attend. Finger Lakes is no better than West Virginia, in that it is on the absolute fringes of the definition of "Mid-Atlantic States."

Just a thought.

Yojimbo
09-11-2013, 22:03
So what is the definition of 'Mid Atlantic'? My initial thought was Pa/NJ down to NC. But a quick google search was literally all over the map. Some references indicated the core being the DelMarVa area plus surrounding states, some as far as NY and even CT. Some include NC.

Just wondering what y'all's thoughts are on this. Do all people in the Mid Atlantic say 'y'all'?:confused:

JollyGreen
09-12-2013, 05:59
Here is a thought. Why couldn't we still use Gathland State Park for alternative Fall MAHHA but cap the number of participants to make the park rangers happy?

I've always wanted to visit the Finger Lakes (ever since I read Theodore Dreiser's An American Tragedy), but I'd like a centrally located place that maximizes the amount of people that could attend. Finger Lakes is no better than West Virginia, in that it is on the absolute fringes of the definition of "Mid-Atlantic States."

Just a thought.

I agree, not central to Mid Atlantic.

Black Foot
09-12-2013, 07:58
I'd be interested in this...The WV site for MAHHA looks awesome but probably too far for us (400 miles) to make it for only a weekend.

+1 on SilverSurfer's suggestion to use Gathland - I really liked that site

501 is nice too and easy to pull together

JollyGreen
09-12-2013, 08:11
Gathland looks to be about 4 1/2 hours from NJ/NYC area. This was originally intended for the members that were too far from the WV site, anyone north of NJ/NYC will have a long trip to Gathland, but it could still work. Let's see what the following replies are.

Zilla
09-12-2013, 09:07

Date is Oct 19-20 weekend

Jolly green, i would definitly be very interested in something like that, my wife and i really want to get our first group hang in an are thinking about making the trip but it is long!
We are in central jersey and if you guys find a place we would like to attend.
I can help look for somewhere if needed.
There are quite a few sites in the poconos that are year round, is that an option for us?
I hear you talking about Gathland and that sounds alot closer than the wv fall hang that is planned,,anyway as far as getting a number to see if there is enough interest--Add 2 more to the list!

Black Foot
09-12-2013, 09:21
Gathland looks to be about 4 1/2 hours from NJ/NYC area. This was originally intended for the members that were too far from the WV site, anyone north of NJ/NYC will have a long trip to Gathland, but it could still work. Let's see what the following replies are.

Your right ...perhaps moving a bit NE would be good since that seems to be the folks that MAHHA is out of range for

XTrekker
09-12-2013, 09:33
Living in the far SE corner of VA, at either location, I will be driving 4.5 - 6 hours... Its not too big deal for me, I drive to JNF and SNP for all my backpacking trips and that is 3.5+ hours for each of those trips. The trip there is half the fun when riding with friends and family.

JollyGreen
09-12-2013, 09:41
Living in the far SE corner of VA, at either location, I will be driving 4.5 - 6 hours... Its not too big deal for me, I drive to JNF and SNP for all my backpacking trips and that is 3.5+ hours for each of those trips. The trip there is half the fun when riding with friends and family.
You live in Virginia Beach?

JollyGreen
09-12-2013, 09:43
I'm hoping this stays a little north east, so as not to take any away from MAHHA.

Ewker
09-12-2013, 09:44
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_states interesting that sometimes NC is considered Mid-Atlantic

JollyGreen
09-12-2013, 09:47
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid-Atlantic_states

Ok, not sure where you're going here.

Ewker
09-12-2013, 09:51
Ok, not sure where you're going here.

just curious as to what states are considered Mid-Atlantic

JollyGreen
09-12-2013, 10:00
This thread is not a Mid Atlantic states discussion, it is a possible trip for HF members that live too far away from the NEHHA site but would like to do a group hang that weekend, that is all.

WV
09-12-2013, 10:10
It's amusing that we are discussing the definition of "Mid-Atlantic" with reference to an "organization" that has no constitution, officers, membership list, or annual dues, but seems to function, nonetheless. :)

I'd say don't worry about drawing people away from the Watoga event. It's not a competition. Just find a place to HYOH and have fun. Early MAHHAs were exciting because we'd never seen 15 or 20 hammocks in one place before. :laugh: Remember that groups camping along the AT are limited to 10 people - that's why we had to leave Gathland.

JollyGreen
09-12-2013, 11:07
It's amusing that we are discussing the definition of "Mid-Atlantic" with reference to an "organization" that has no constitution, officers, membership list, or annual dues, but seems to function, nonetheless. :)

I'd say don't worry about drawing people away from the Watoga event. It's not a competition. Just find a place to HYOH and have fun. Early MAHHAs were exciting because we'd never seen 15 or 20 hammocks in one place before. :laugh: Remember that groups camping along the AT are limited to 10 people - that's why we had to leave Gathland.

OK, this thread is just getting away from it's intended purpose.

Zilla
09-12-2013, 11:33
This thread is not a Mid Atlantic states discussion, it is a possible trip for HF members that live too far away from the NEHHA site but would like to do a group hang that weekend, that is all.

That is what i thought too! , Lets get back on topic,do we have an idea of how many are interested so far?

Ratdog
09-12-2013, 12:35
I like water around my campsite if possible.

Northwest Jersey, Worthington or anything in the Delaware Gap Area. It's beautiful, has some terrain for hiking, the river and stuff to do in the area.

Pine Barrens are nice after the first couple frosts, cuts down on the ticks/bugs.
Lower Forge you can hike to or risk parking your car and hiking a short distance. Rangers discourage it but do not usually hassle folks. Several campgrounds offer options in that area. Bodine is closed or I wold suggest that. Mullica River campsite.

Pine Grove Furnace in Pa. Just had a group hang there, so might be a repeat for folks.

501, gonna have to do it some time or another. Fine by me.

JollyGreen
09-12-2013, 12:38
Those are some good ideas Ratdog, you a Weir fan? Drive thru Del Water Gap all the time but have never hiked or camped there yet. We'll have some good choices looks like.

biggcarl
09-12-2013, 13:04
Why does there have to be just one alternative?

How about two, three, or four mini Mahaa's spread out, say one Va, one at the 501, one in north jersey/NY, etc

Wow, just had a huge thought, gonna open a whole thread about it.

XTrekker
09-12-2013, 13:19
You live in Virginia Beach?

Close...Very close..Other side of the bridge....:)

XTrekker
09-12-2013, 13:20
Why does there have to be just one alternative?

How about two, three, or four mini Mahaa's spread out, say one Va, one at the 501, one in north jersey/NY, etc

Wow, just had a huge thought, gonna open a whole thread about it.

Can we stagger the weeks so I can attend all of them..lol

Atlas918
09-12-2013, 16:40
So what is the definition of 'Mid Atlantic'? My initial thought was Pa/NJ down to NC. But a quick google search was literally all over the map. Some references indicated the core being the DelMarVa area plus surrounding states, some as far as NY and even CT. Some include NC.

Just wondering what y'all's thoughts are on this. Do all people in the Mid Atlantic say 'y'all'?:confused:

As a professional geographer, my professional opinion is that the Mid-Atlantic states include: MD, DE, VA, NC and The District; WV gets included more in KY/TN with appalachia :)

Atlas918
09-12-2013, 16:42

Someone was asking about what states the Mid-Atlantic covers -- guy with a wikipedia link was referencing that.

Atlas918
09-12-2013, 16:45

Just a thought.

I'd be up for Gathland. I like the site and it's not too far away from me :D

JollyGreen
09-12-2013, 16:50
Ok this thread is for the weekend of MAHHA, for those who are too far from there for a weekend. Gathland is out of the area we're looking at and this thread has nothing to do with what States are part of the mid Atlantic region. If you'd like to set up a hang in Gathland, or discuss the mid Atlantic region, please do so in another thread, thank you

perrito
09-12-2013, 16:54
I'm interested. ... for the record. :)

JollyGreen
09-12-2013, 16:56
Perrito, we can discuss this next weekend, sound good?

perrito
09-12-2013, 16:57
But of course.

Yojimbo
09-12-2013, 18:15
The only reason for asking about what states are covered by "mid Atlantic" was to determine a central location.

JollyGreen
09-12-2013, 18:38
The only reason for asking about what states are covered by "mid Atlantic" was to determine a central location.

Artjrk, the southern part of the Mid Atlantic can get to MAHHA in a reasonable time, so I intended this to be central to the northern part of the Mid Atlantic. Of course everyone is welcome and the more the merrier.

jerzybears
09-12-2013, 19:06
Just say when and where and we will look at our calendars. NJ state lesson plans tend to get in the way of things I want to do right now.

JollyGreen
09-12-2013, 19:38
A bear sighting......

Deadphans
09-12-2013, 20:15
I would be all in if it was in Jersey or closer to. NH and that part of mass is a bit far from me.

JollyGreen
09-12-2013, 20:36
I would be all in if it was in Jersey or closer to. NH and that part of mass is a bit far from me.

Huh? Are you referring to Gathland? That's in Marlyland.

Deadphans
09-13-2013, 05:34
Oh, I misread the post I was referring too, lol. my bad.

Cranky Bear
09-13-2013, 09:15
I will be keeping an eye on this thread, my family and I are unsure atm if we are going out at all, and where we would go. JollyGreen thanks for starting the thread.

mph5
09-13-2013, 20:39
We are interested in this as well.

Marti

G...Hawk
09-13-2013, 21:14
I am interested in future hangs within 2.5 to 3 hours of NYC.
That includes most of NJ, CT, downstate NY and some of eastern PA.

( The Oct weekend is not possible for me. )

G

OldNWay
09-14-2013, 07:23
I'm in for Oct 18 weekend

jerzybears
09-14-2013, 12:39
What's the plan? A drive in or a walk in? Walk ins are ok, but a drive in allows for an awesome potluck.

WV
09-14-2013, 13:56
What's the plan? A drive in or a walk in? Walk ins are ok, but a drive in allows for an awesome potluck.
Certain people make risotto in a pressure cooker. Just sayin'.

JollyGreen
09-14-2013, 15:08

Perrito is checking out a spot, will have a report and maybe a video

jerzybears
09-15-2013, 18:24
Certain people make risotto in a pressure cooker. Just sayin'.

It's really good, isn't it? Was thinking of trying my hand at Hoppin' John.

Zilla
09-16-2013, 15:27
I am very surprised that this thread is stale,
Does anyone know how many of us really want to make this happen?
My wife and i really dont want to drive all the way down to VA but i am determaned to get in a least one group hang this year.
As of now we are still up for this, lets make it happen. any news on a site??
Please let me know

JollyGreen
09-16-2013, 15:47
Why do you say it's stale? There's been plenty of replies. Right now were waiting on a report from Perrito who visited a potential sitr yesterday and took a video. Apparently YouTube is giving him a hard time, be patient grasshopper.

perrito
09-16-2013, 16:05
Why do you say it's stale? There's been plenty of replies. Right now were waiting on a report from Perrito who visited a potential sitr yesterday and took a video. Apparently YouTube is giving him a hard time, be patient grasshopper.

Check your PM....

Dylan
09-16-2013, 22:36
I might come out of hiding for something in the NJ/PA area. I'm a definite for anything in the pine barrens that weekend.

Knotty
09-16-2013, 22:58
I'd also likely be in if something gets scheduled for NJ or eastern PA.

Since the purpose is to provide a hang for those who find the official hang in WV to be too far, I think it's best to keep this north of the Mason-Dixon Line.

Some of us have had good experiences at Dingman's Campground (http://www.dingmanscampground.com/) in PA, a bit north of the water gap. There are numerous waterfall trails in the area.

SilvrSurfr
09-16-2013, 23:28
Let's pick a spot soon and get into the planning stages. Seems like JollyGreen wants to aim for a location in the north-central section of the mid-Atlantic states, so it looks like NJ, eastern PA, and southern NY meet that description. Most of the people responding to this thread are in this area.

Next question is hike-in or car-camp.

FYI - SilentOrpheus is organizing a 2nd Annual Thanksgiving Day Hang in the Pine Barrens at Lower Forge on 11/29-30. Last year was a blast. Be there or be square!

TDHanger
09-17-2013, 05:14
I'm still interested I have the weekend off. just need to know where to go. Let's decide.

JollyGreen
09-17-2013, 05:57
Ok, we have one possible although it's not the best we can do for sure. Looking for more options so anyone is welcome to reply, especially if they have a report on the area. I'll PM Knotty today on what he knows. What is the general concensus, car camp or walk in? I'm in favor of car camping for this, lets hear what you think.

TDHanger
09-17-2013, 06:04
I also think car camping would be best for a group hang as people bring more things to share

Knotty
09-17-2013, 11:26
In December 2010 a few of us got together at Dingmans Campground. They were closed for the season but were nice enough to make a special provision for us. I'm told that before the days of MAHHA, Dingmans is where some of the first group hangs were.

The first pic is from 2010, to give you an idea of the tree density. We were actually in the RV area and the pic is probably site 108.

For the upcoming trip, I'd think the two most remote areas, 26-34 and 42-49, would be good choices, based on the satellite pic. The group camping areas just don't have the needed trees.

I'll see if I can swing by there, take a look and talk to the campground manager. If the campground is pretty empty this time of year, we'll probably have some flexibility.

PS: My vote is for car camping as it requires less planning, making it easier for people to attend.

perrito
09-17-2013, 12:11
What Knotty said. :thumbup:

Zilla
09-17-2013, 13:50

For some reason i am getting email alerts for every other thread but this one,

I also vote for car camping, the place Knotty is checking out looks promising

Zilla
09-17-2013, 14:18
For some reason i am getting email alerts for every other thread but this one,

I also vote for car camping, the place Knotty is checking out looks promising

In December 2010 a few of us got together at Dingmans Campground. They were closed for the season but were nice enough to make a special provision for us. I'm told that before the days of MAHHA, Dingmans is where some of the first group hangs were.

The first pic is from 2010, to give you an idea of the tree density. We were actually in the RV area and the pic is probably site 108.

For the upcoming trip, I'd think the two most remote areas, 26-34 and 42-49, would be good choices, based on the satellite pic. The group camping areas just don't have the needed trees.

I'll see if I can swing by there, take a look and talk to the campground manager. If the campground is pretty empty this time of year, we'll probably have some flexibility.

PS: My vote is for car camping as it requires less planning, making it easier for people to attend.

I checked out their website and dont see anything wrong with it,their directions say dont use gps or mapquest,use their directions so i looked at mapquest and from being up in that area before they are right..
If we go there everybody should go to their website and print them out. http://www.dingmanscampground.com/

Longest it should take us even with traffic is 3 hours.

I am in

Suede
09-17-2013, 14:55
I checked out their website and dont see anything wrong with it,their directions say dont use gps or mapquest,use their directions so i looked at mapquest and from being up in that area before they are right..
If we go there everybody should go to their website and print them out. http://www.dingmanscampground.com/

Longest it should take us even with traffic is 3 hours.

I am in

I would only recommend that you do a site visit on the weekend and not week day, as well as check with how many are reserving that w/e.. I have had some bad experiences with radio blasting campers in the delaware area campgrounds - not that campsite specifically..

Dylan
09-17-2013, 19:59
I went to the Dingman's hang in 2010. It's a very nice location with loads of trees. Plus, it's easy to get to (you can cross the river from Jersey for only $1).

JollyGreen
09-17-2013, 20:40
I plan on a visit on Sept 29, Sunday on my way back from Syracuse. I'll post a report with at least pics, but this place looks good. Thanks Knotty!

JollyGreen
09-18-2013, 07:41
Just got off the phone with the reservation office, very nice lady. She said the group camping area only has trees in the back and wasn't sure if there would be enough. As stated before I'm planning to make a visit on Sept, 29 Sunday to check out all the areas. Right now she said there is only a couple of reservations for that weekend so it's pretty wide open. If anyone else can make a trip there before the 29th, that would be great. We should probably start getting a list together so it will be easier to figure how many sites we need, the sites are on the Dingmans campground website, along with what is available at each site and the prices. There is one picnic table per site but she said we can group them together as long as we move them back before we leave. Should we make a spreadsheet? They have blocks on here at work so I can't do it, if someone can step up that would be great.

Knotty
09-18-2013, 11:37
I will visit the campground on Thursday 9/19 to scope things out. Will post pics and vids.

If all looks good, I can setup a Google docs sign up sheet. Also propose that we start a new message thread using the official format for the subject.

JollyGreen
09-18-2013, 12:36
I will visit the campground on Thursday 9/19 to scope things out. Will post pics and vids.

If all looks good, I can setup a Google docs sign up sheet. Also propose that we start a new message thread using the official format for the subject.
Sounds good Knotty, let me know what I can do to help. Thanks for the effort.

Porkroll
09-18-2013, 19:06
Okay, if this comes together, I am strongly considering attending this hang, instead of the Fall MAHHA.

Zilla
09-18-2013, 21:01

My wifes request for leave that weekend just came back approved , so it is official.
We are in
Let me know if there is anything we could do to help!

I was just checking out the camp website and i came across pics of black bears, do we need to be :armed for bear:?

Knotty
09-18-2013, 23:38
My wifes request for leave that weekend just came back approved , so it is official.
We are in
Let me know if there is anything we could do to help!

I was just checking out the camp website and i came across pics of black bears, do we need to be :armed for bear:?

Up in this area you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a bear. I'm armed with pepper spray.

jerzybears
09-19-2013, 20:47
Up in this area you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a bear. I'm armed with pepper spray.

meh....NJ Black bears are just big Raccoons. Tuck your food away in bear proof containers. (Not the back seat of cars!! :lol::lol:)

Zilla
09-19-2013, 22:30
meh....NJ Black bears are just big Raccoons. Tuck your food away in bear proof containers. (Not the back seat of cars!! :lol::lol:)

What about this , do you think this will do or do you know of a better deal for me.
We gotta bring 2-3 days of food to the hang, any suggestions?

This is $60.00 bucks before shipping, says 20 gallon airtight

Dylan
09-20-2013, 07:10
What about this , do you think this will do or do you know of a better deal for me.
We gotta bring 2-3 days of food to the hang, any suggestions?

This is $60.00 bucks before shipping, says 20 gallon airtight

You probably don't need to purchase a container for this hang. I've camped there before and kept my food in the trunk of my car. If you don't want to keep it in your car, a stuff sack and a rope is all you need to hang it out of reach.

And these will be PA bears. They are a lot like NJ's black bears except they're less considerate drivers.

Zilla
09-20-2013, 09:01
You probably don't need to purchase a container for this hang. I've camped there before and kept my food in the trunk of my car. If you don't want to keep it in your car, a stuff sack and a rope is all you need to hang it out of reach.

And these will be PA bears. They are a lot like NJ's black bears except they're less considerate drivers.

Thanks, that will save me a few bucks, we have plenty of stuff sacks and rope

Knotty
09-20-2013, 22:11
Visited Dingmans and talked with JollyGreen before he headed off to NEHHA.

Starting a new planning thread here (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1098377#post1098377).

nyhiker50
09-20-2013, 23:06
I wish you luck with this. If you recall, some folks were just pulling my chain when I asked about local hangs.

SoundWitness
09-28-2013, 07:40
.................................................. .................................................. ....................And these will be PA bears. They are a lot like NJ's black bears except they're less considerate drivers.

No offense to all our PA hangers here on HF....but that was funny!

Bob Mac
09-29-2013, 11:13
Why not try Watkins glen. We have a bus camp out there every year. Great place. Hike the gorge go too corning glass center, visit any number of wineries. Shopping in downtown Watkins. Large enough to accommodate lots of hangers. Google it for more info. Just a suggestion:lol:

perrito
09-29-2013, 11:34
Why not try Watkins glen. We have a bus camp out there every year. Great place. Hike the gorge go too corning glass center, visit any number of wineries. Shopping in downtown Watkins. Large enough to accommodate lots of hangers. Google it for more info. Just a suggestion:lol:

Hey Bob,
We've settled on a place and have a thread started here (https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=80183). Consider coming!