PDA

View Full Version : PA>Mechanicsburg: help finding a site

Knotty
09-12-2013, 13:55
Wife and I are going to visit my daughter at Messiah College in Harrisburg, PA. My wife will stay with my daughter and her roommates but as the lone male I think I should find other lodgings.

Anyone know a place I can hang a hammock for the night in that area? A stealth camp would work, since my wife can drop me off at night and pick me up the next morning. Just looking to sleep. No campfire, etc.

Thanks in advance.

JollyGreen
09-12-2013, 13:59
501 shelter is maybe 30 miles from Harrisburg, depending when it is I could meet you there and drive you back the next day

Knotty
09-12-2013, 14:22
Thanks for the generous offer JollyGreen but that's a little further than I'd like. Plus it really is just a sleep type situation so I wouldn't be good company.

nothermark
09-12-2013, 15:31
I'll feed the thread. It's less than 30 mi to Pine Grove Furnace and around 6 to a State Game Land shooting range that one would assume might have some spare woods... ;-)

Black Foot
09-12-2013, 17:44
Pine Grove Furnace would be a good bet and close. The AT runs through there and you can camp along it w/o any fees. Here is a spot on top of the ridge that is close to a road and has a nice safe parking lot. The campsite is just south of the road on the AT - maybe 0.1 miles. I have camped here before some nice trees there and easy to get to - no water

Arendtsville-Shippensburg Rd

GPS: N 39.997474 W 077.404593

You can get more information and see some pictures of that area here:

Appalachian Trail Parking (http://rohland.homedns.org:8008/AT/at_PAsection13/ATPictures.aspx)

reference PA section 13 around 8.4 miles SOBO

mph5
09-12-2013, 18:33
I think the yellow breeches creek winds around quite close to campus. I wonder if you stealth camp along it somewhere.

Marti

Knotty
09-12-2013, 18:45
Thanks for the suggestions.

I know Pine Grove Furnace from the MAHHA, but like 501, it's just a bit too far for this situation.

The Yellow Breeches does flow through campus. If I have time, I might get lucky scoping out a stealth location.

Still open to ideas though.

2Questions
09-12-2013, 19:39
What about State Game Lands 242...I'm not really sure what this is...but it's green on the google map:) or Gifford Pinchot State Park.
Donna

Dutch
09-12-2013, 19:44
Just stealth the campus. How much police could messiah college have?

Knotty
09-12-2013, 20:53
Considering what I've paid putting two kids through school there, they should let me hang from any two trees on campus. :)

MedicineMan
09-13-2013, 00:43
voting for a stealth campus hang....sometimes hiding in the obvious works so maybe the main quad.

Yojimbo
09-13-2013, 06:43
Just take a stand and hangout in the TV lounge.

Knotty
09-13-2013, 07:46
What about State Game Lands 242...I'm not really sure what this is...but it's green on the google map:) or Gifford Pinchot State Park.
Donna

Just checked 242 out on the map. Distance looks reasonable but I'd definitely have to stealth because...

"Camping on Pennsylvania State Game Lands is generally prohibited, with one exception: hikers may camp within 200 feet of the Appalachian Trail where it passes through game lands. These regulations deny camping for most the state's 1.4 million acres of game lands, but Pennsylvania's section of the Appalachian Trail runs for about 230 miles, and 140 of them are on state game lands."

Pretbek
09-13-2013, 08:55
Just checked 242 out on the map. Distance looks reasonable but I'd definitely have to stealth because...

"Camping on Pennsylvania State Game Lands is generally prohibited, with one exception: hikers may camp within 200 feet of the Appalachian Trail where it passes through game lands. These regulations deny camping for most the state's 1.4 million acres of game lands, but Pennsylvania's section of the Appalachian Trail runs for about 230 miles, and 140 of them are on state game lands."

Is it any critter season right now? You might need your kevlar hammock if it is.

spectactical
09-13-2013, 09:24
I don't know anything about the campus itself but there should be plenty of small wooded areas around there if you don't mind leaving a car by the side of the road

Dutch
09-13-2013, 16:08
Knotty the AT isn't too far. East of Carlisle to South of Duncannon

2Questions
09-13-2013, 17:25

Oh well...worth a look...sorry for the wild goose chase!:)
Donna

Knotty
09-13-2013, 18:41
Thanks all. Ended up just getting a hotel.

Next time.

Dutch
09-13-2013, 20:17
WHAT!?!? I feel like I just discovered the Easter Bunny isn't real.:scared:

G.L.P.
09-13-2013, 20:21
WHAT!?!? I feel like I just discovered the Easter Bunny isn't real.:scared:

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!! the easter bunny IS real !!!

DAdamEich
09-16-2013, 13:49
I went to Messiah too and still live in the area. Next time you're out there, you'll have to wander some. They have a back 40 to the campus that most people don't know about. There's a walking trail that follows the creek back through there. If you're stealthy about it, you should be able to find a place that no one would see you. Or bring a kayak and head back there. The Yellow Breeches is frequented by a lot of people so go a ways back off the creek.

Messiah is also not far from the AT and lots of game lands. I pick up the AT in Mount Holly Springs.

TRU
09-16-2013, 17:29
Knotty,

Just hopped on HF for the first time in a few weeks. Sorry I didn't hop on sooner and see your post. Next time you are coming let me know. There are a few options. As mentioned, you could probably stealth near the creek by their parking lot known as "the pit".

Our church is about 3-4 miles from campus and has some trees to support a few hangers (this is where I hang to test some stuff out).

Pinchot-Gifford State Park is about 15 miles away. Site 193 is my favorite and can accommodate 4 hangers.

Knotty
09-16-2013, 22:44
Thanks for the info. Maybe next time. I need to restore people's faith in the Easter Bunny.