PDA

View Full Version : Need SHT Recommendations

peello
09-16-2013, 21:06
My high school daughter wants to visit her older sister at UMD for a weekend in a couple of weeks, so I thought I would drive her up of Friday, hit the SHT, then pick her up on Sunday and come home.

I have never hiked the SHT and would like some suggestions on where to go for a two night loop or an out and back. I would probably be getting to a trail head around dark on Friday night and would have no problems with hiking in the dark for a few miles.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Algonz
09-16-2013, 21:09
Split rock river loop is a popular section with plenty of campsites and good scenery.

Gravity
09-16-2013, 21:57
Here's a thread with a few recommendations:
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=71647

jrs62284
09-16-2013, 22:08
I have only hiked HWY 1 to HWY 4, but I would try for one of the loops. The trail guide highly suggest split rock river. We didn't do that section because of the time of year and how busy it can get. I bet now that school has started it may be better, but because it's a weekend I would expect traffic. One other question to ask is ... ARE THE BUGS ANY BETTER? They should be as it is cooling off a bit

Bic
09-16-2013, 22:45
I just got back from the area and did the split rock loop to beaver bay. I have the first of two parts posted in the trip reports section. It's a nice area and there were no bugs on the trail this past weekend!

peello
09-16-2013, 23:16
I just got back from the area and did the split rock loop to beaver bay. I have the first of two parts posted in the trip reports section. It's a nice area and there were no bugs on the trail this past weekend!

Did you hike to Beaver Bay and then back to Split Rock or did you get a ride back from BB? Are all of the campsites hammock friendly?

Bic
09-16-2013, 23:29
Did you hike to Beaver Bay and then back to Split Rock or did you get a ride back from BB? Are all of the campsites hammock friendly?

Yup all hammock friendly. I got a shuttle back, but its not too far at all....about 12-13 miles. You can start on the south side of the loop and hike it north the first day. The second day hike to beaver bay and stay at one of the beaver river sites. The third day hike back and get off before the loop (there is a spur trail back to the state park) and so Sunday would be a bit shorter.

Also, I'm not sure of your dates but there is a group hang going on up there the weekend of the 27th (September)

peello
09-17-2013, 09:32
Yup all hammock friendly. I got a shuttle back, but its not too far at all....about 12-13 miles. You can start on the south side of the loop and hike it north the first day. The second day hike to beaver bay and stay at one of the beaver river sites. The third day hike back and get off before the loop (there is a spur trail back to the state park) and so Sunday would be a bit shorter.

Also, I'm not sure of your dates but there is a group hang going on up there the weekend of the 27th (September)

I think the Split Rock / Beaver Bay would be the ticket.

I believe the 27th is the proposed weekend, but I won't be getting to the trail head until Friday evening. After looking at your agenda, I could start at Lutsen Friday night, hike to first campground, then Saturday Hike until I run into you on the trail or at the Trout Creek Campsite.