PDA

View Full Version : NJ>Pine Barrens>2nd Annual Thanksgiving Weekend Hang>11/29-30

SilvrSurfr
09-17-2013, 00:15
SilentOrpheus was gonna organize this trip but I talked to him tonight and he's drugged out for back spasms - no telling when he'll return to reality.

Time for the second annual Thanksgiving hang at Lower Forge! This is a hike-in site, though it is possible to drive back roads and end up about 1/3 mile from the campsite, for you car campers.

It's about 7 miles of flat hiking from Batsto, a little shorter if you hike south from Batona Camp.

Here's a map:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/docs/batona14web.pdf

stalker42
09-17-2013, 00:22
Darn I'm working. I am going to try to switch I want to make one of these.

SilvrSurfr
09-17-2013, 00:27
All campsites at Lower Forge are currently available for reservation. We should start grabbing them soon.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/camping/Wharton_State_Forest/r/campgroundMap.do?camparea=492363&selectedSiteRb=1792&contractCode=NJ&parkId=670056

SilvrSurfr
09-17-2013, 00:32
Canoeing to Lower Forge is also an option - one I would entertain.

njredneck
09-17-2013, 05:15
I'm in +2.

silentorpheus
09-17-2013, 08:48
We'll call it the Second Annual NJ Turkey Trek.

And I wasn't that drugged out. You should have talked to me half an hour later, when I took the good stuff. I was slurring like an old school pirate on shore leave. :D

In the next little bit, I'll look to reserve sites 4, 5, and 6. Those are the ones that are the most hammock friendly. I'm up for either a Saturday into Sunday, like last time - or possibly might make it a 2 day, hike in Friday, and hike out Sunday. Depends on the interest and what people want to do.

If we get some interest, we'll start a spreadsheet. Technically we can have up to 6 people per site reserved. So we'll need to cap it at 18. Though I'm doubtful that those three campsites could actually handle 18 hammocks. Guess we'll see.

kayak karl
09-17-2013, 09:25
We'll call it the Second Annual NJ Turkey Trek.

And I wasn't that drugged out. You should have talked to me half an hour later, when I took the good stuff. I was slurring like an old school pirate on shore leave. :D

In the next little bit, I'll look to reserve sites 4, 5, and 6. Those are the ones that are the most hammock friendly. I'm up for either a Saturday into Sunday, like last time - or possibly might make it a 2 day, hike in Friday, and hike out Sunday. Depends on the interest and what people want to do.

If we get some interest, we'll start a spreadsheet. Technically we can have up to 6 people per site reserved. So we'll need to cap it at 18. Though I'm doubtful that those three campsites could actually handle 18 hammocks. Guess we'll see.

tell me how 1 person can reserve more then one site? i'm not being smart, i just haven't been able to figure it out. i see it being an issue with Winter Hang because after first of year ALL reservations will be on line.

are there enough trees for 18 hammocks in 3 sites?

silentorpheus
09-17-2013, 09:46
tell me how 1 person can reserve more then one site? i'm not being smart, i just haven't been able to figure it out. i see it being an issue with Winter Hang because after first of year ALL reservations will be on line.

are there enough trees for 18 hammocks in 3 sites?

I'm actually not really sure if I can reserve more than one site at a time. Haven't tried - figured I'd cross that bridge when I get to it. If I need to get more than one person to reserve, I'll enlist some others to help.

As for the last question - I doubt it. I started to allude to that in my post - I know that site 4 can easily fit 3-4 hammocks. Site 5 adds another 2-3. Site 6 could fit at least one or 2. If we grab 6 AND 7 you can fit 4. That might be all they can handle.

I do know that when we went last Thanksgiving, we were situated in the region of what is now sites 4-6. We had 6 hammocks in the copse of trees that are sites 4 and 5 with one tent - and the Jersey Bearz had 2 over where site 6/7 is now. So I think we can at least get 6-8 hammocks, maybe one or two more. 18 is a big stretch, for sure. I just threw that number out there, since each reservation is good for up to 6 people.

Not sure what we're going to have to do about the Winter Hang this year ... that's why we don't pay Iafte the big bucks - to deal with that sort of thing. :laugh:

P-47ChowHound
09-17-2013, 15:30
Count me in please.

njredneck
09-17-2013, 16:14
tell me how 1 person can reserve more then one site?

The long and the short of it is you can't reserve more than one site at any one camp. We've run into this problem with the scouts.

I don't have a problem reserving one of the sites in my name just let me know if you need me to.

Me and my boys are leaning towards a 2 night trip.

silentorpheus
09-17-2013, 16:16
The long and the short of it is you can't reserve more than one site at any one camp. We've run into this problem with the scouts.

I don't have a problem reserving one of the sites in my name just let me know if you need me to.

Me and my boys are leaning towards a 2 night trip.

Is this just online? Have you tried calling them, and trying to reserve multiple sites that way?

Just curious. I've only used the online system once since they implemented it. It was painless, though annoying, and the surcharge sticks in your craw. But that's an argument for another time/thread.

njredneck
09-17-2013, 16:24
Is this just online? Have you tried calling them, and trying to reserve multiple sites that way?

Just curious. I've only used the online system once since they implemented it. It was painless, though annoying, and the surcharge sticks in your craw. But that's an argument for another time/thread.

We tried everything that we could think of including calling 4 different times before we got someone who could help us thru the setup so that the troop could pay for the sites.

Not to add fuel to the fire but that surcharge is per site. For example if you stay at 2 different sites(Batona Friday night and then lower forge Saturday night)you will pay that surcharge twice for the weekend. But like you said another time, another thread.

Porkroll
09-18-2013, 19:13
I'm interested in this hang. My kids will be away, so it will just be me.

SilvrSurfr
09-24-2013, 22:47
So far only eight interested, so we don't have to worry about numbers. However, if numbers get too high for Lower Forge, we could always think about Mullica River or Batona Camp.

Heck, I'd be willing to sleep at Mullica, hike over to Lower Forge for dinner/campfire, then night hike back to Mullica. Who's with me?

silentorpheus
09-24-2013, 22:49
So far only eight interested, so we don't have to worry about numbers. However, if numbers get too high for Lower Forge, we could always think about Mullica River or Batona Camp.

Heck, I'd be willing to sleep at Mullica, hike over to Lower Forge for dinner/campfire, then night hike back to Mullica. Who's with me?

Hey, why not?

Though I have no idea which sites are hang friendly at Mullica. We might have to plan an overnight to go find out :cool:

SilvrSurfr
09-25-2013, 18:47
Hey, why not?

Though I have no idea which sites are hang friendly at Mullica. We might have to plan an overnight to go find out :cool:

I'm game - Fall NEHHA was the first group hang I ever went to where I didn't hike at all (well, other than a mile jaunt). I need to give the legs a workout ASAP. Atsion to Mullica sounds like a fine hike to me.

I believe Mullica has more options for trees, to my recollection, and it's got a water pump, which is cool.

njredneck
09-26-2013, 05:31
Sites 4 and 8 are good sites. 4 is near the pump (3-5 hammocks). 8 is off to the side and more secluded than the rest of the sites (3-4 hammocks). If I remember right only sites 5 and 10 would be hard pressed to hang in.

JollyGreen
09-26-2013, 06:48
I should be good for this one

matthiastrek
09-29-2013, 00:20
I'm in too! And I will be prepared this time around!

SilvrSurfr
09-29-2013, 00:40

Hey matthiastrek, it'll be good to see you again!

silentorpheus
09-29-2013, 07:06

Yeah! I was wondering if you'd be back in town. Like SS said, it'll be good to see you again. And I'll bring an extra UQ and tarp in my car, just in case :)

matthiastrek
09-30-2013, 19:57
Yeah! I was wondering if you'd be back in town. Like SS said, it'll be good to see you again. And I'll bring an extra UQ and tarp in my car, just in case :)

Much appreciated! I have an awesome tarp and pad this time so I refuse to be cold this year!

fishbait
10-02-2013, 06:31
I'm actually not really sure if I can reserve more than one site at a time. Haven't tried - figured I'd cross that bridge when I get to it. If I need to get more than one person to reserve, I'll enlist some others to help.

As for the last question - I doubt it. I started to allude to that in my post - I know that site 4 can easily fit 3-4 hammocks. Site 5 adds another 2-3. Site 6 could fit at least one or 2. If we grab 6 AND 7 you can fit 4. That might be all they can handle.

I do know that when we went last Thanksgiving, we were situated in the region of what is now sites 4-6. We had 6 hammocks in the copse of trees that are sites 4 and 5 with one tent - and the Jersey Bearz had 2 over where site 6/7 is now. So I think we can at least get 6-8 hammocks, maybe one or two more. 18 is a big stretch, for sure. I just threw that number out there, since each reservation is good for up to 6 people.

Not sure what we're going to have to do about the Winter Hang this year ... that's why we don't pay Iafte the big bucks - to deal with that sort of thing. :laugh:

If I remember correctly you can get 3 hammocks into site 5. The last time I hung there with Silent Bob and Kayack Karl it was very windy. I was able to just rotate my hammock 90* to compensate for the wind. If I can make this hang I might bring my pup, I've been trying to get him out for a hang.

Deadphans
10-02-2013, 15:17
I may go...i'm a bit on the fence for this one just cause of something else that may be happening around the same time. Ill be keeping an eye out.

jtdad13
10-22-2013, 16:18
I'm in for this one, probably gonna hike in at night from Batona!

SilvrSurfr
10-22-2013, 19:06
I'm in for this one, probably gonna hike in at night from Batona!

There's a man after my own heart.

jtdad13
10-22-2013, 19:14
There's a man after my own heart.

C'mon SilverSurfr, we can spook ourselves thinking tree stumps are bears and wolves! :-)

jerzybears
10-22-2013, 19:41
We came last year...is there room for 2 more??:D

SilvrSurfr
10-22-2013, 19:43
C'mon SilverSurfr, we can spook ourselves thinking tree stumps are bears and wolves! :-)

Last time I night hiked in the Pine Barrens, I had a couple of critters follow me for a few hundred yards parallel to the trail - never found out what they were but there was some serious cheek clinching till they went away!

SilvrSurfr
10-22-2013, 21:12

It wouldn't be the 2nd Annual Thanksgiving weekend hang without you!

silentorpheus
10-22-2013, 21:12

I was hoping you two would come out of hibernation for this. :D

It wouldn't be the 2nd Annual Thanksgiving weekend hang without you!

Exactly!

SilvrSurfr
10-22-2013, 21:37
So far we have 13 people interested:

silentorifice
silvrsurfr +1
njredneck +2
P-47ChowHound
bundy71
JollyGreen
matthiastrek
jtdad13
jerzybears

And two possibles:

fishbait
Deadphans

My first choice is still Lower Forge, but if more people join, we can look at Mullica River or even Batona. I'm gonna hike to Mullica & Lower Forge in the next couple of weeks to reaffirm hanging capacity. I think Mullica looks like the better choice with the current numbers.

SilvrSurfr
10-22-2013, 21:56
Thought I'd post the map:

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/docs/batona14web.pdf

There are various ways to approach Lower Forge or Mullica River campsites: from the north via Atsion or Batona, from the south via Batsto Village.

silentorpheus
10-22-2013, 22:03
So far we have 13 people interested:

silentorifice
silvrsurfr +1
njredneck +2
P-47ChowHound
bundy71
JollyGreen
matthiastrek
jtdad13
jerzybears

And two possibles:

fishbait
Deadphans

My first choice is still Lower Forge, but if more people join, we can look at Mullica River or even Batona. I'm gonna hike to Mullica & Lower Forge in the next couple of weeks to reaffirm hanging capacity. I think Mullica looks like the better choice with the current numbers.

Sorry ... I've been crazy busy with work AND on the disabled list, so I haven't paid this much attention lately.

If everyone that's expressed interest thus far shows, it'll be difficult to get even that many into Lower Forge - at least within official 'sites'. Though if we assume there will be some attrition, and figure that we'll probably be alone out there, and could likely spread out as needed, we might be able to get close.

SS, let's touch base and we can discuss.

vagabound
10-23-2013, 10:29
im in, if there are enough trees!

Black Foot
10-23-2013, 10:53
Dan (Tinkr) and I are interested in attending this one as well...

silentorpheus
10-23-2013, 10:59
Dan (Tinkr) and I are interested in attending this one as well...

Awesome! Haven't seen you guys since the Winter Hang, so it'll be good to catch up.

We'll get some recon done on the sites at Mullica - right now it's looking like a better option for a larger number of people. Plus, it has a water pump. I love my sawyer, but filtering water in the cold isn't the most fun chore. :rolleyes:

SilvrSurfr
10-23-2013, 18:47
I saw this pic and it reminded me why I love the Pine Barrens:

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/712129main_8247975848_88635d38a1_o.jpg

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/images/712129main_8247975848_88635d38a1_o.jpg

On the website image, you can click on NJ and zoom in. There's this giant hole with no lights in Southern NJ. That's the Pine Barrens. Nice to know there is a place so close to my house with so little light pollution, and, well, people.

And you people wonder how I can get lost so often while night hiking in the Pine Barrens. Sheesh.

silentorpheus
11-04-2013, 18:35
Just out of curiosity, did anyone following this thread reserve site #4 at Mullica for that weekend? It's the only site currently taken (at least as of yesterday).

SilvrSurfr
11-04-2013, 21:35
Just out of curiosity, did anyone following this thread reserve site #4 at Mullica for that weekend? It's the only site currently taken (at least as of yesterday).

I'm betting it was NJ Redneck - he's going regardless of what the rest of us do!

njredneck
11-05-2013, 05:54
I'm betting it was NJ Redneck - he's going regardless of what the rest of us do!

I didn't reserve anything yet. But your right I will be in the woods that weekend regardless. It will be the first weekend that I'm not working since the beginning of October. I needs me some down time.:D

silentorpheus
11-05-2013, 20:28
I didn't reserve anything yet. But your right I will be in the woods that weekend regardless. It will be the first weekend that I'm not working since the beginning of October. I needs me some down time.:D

Are your boys going to be in Hammocks this year, or are they still in tents during the cold months?

njredneck
11-05-2013, 20:47
Are your boys going to be in Hammocks this year, or are they still in tents during the cold months?

My oldest is hanging the young one said he is tenting as of tonight. Let me know if you need me to reserve a site.

SilvrSurfr
11-10-2013, 20:45
im in, if there are enough trees!

Is that you, Tate? You're the only Kammock Roo owner in Monmouth County, ya know.

SilvrSurfr
11-10-2013, 21:16
Work is killing me so I haven't been able to recon either Lower Forge or Mullica. Can anybody get out there this week and evaluate hanging possibilities? Soonest I can get there is probably 11/16.

I spoke with Silent Orpheus and we probably need to get something reserved chop chop. As mentioned previously, I prefer Lower Forge first, Mullica second, then Batsto third.

silentorifice
silvrsurfr +1 (my +1 is probably vagabound, but not sure)
njredneck +2
P-47ChowHound
bundy71
JollyGreen
matthiastrek
jtdad13
jerzybears
vagabound
Tinkr
Black Foot

And two possibles:

fishbait
Deadphans

That's 18 possible. Based on my experience, I would bet no more than 8-10 people actually show up. If we go on that premise, then we could go ahead and pick Lower Forge or Mullica to keep it a hike-in experience. If there aren't enough trees at a given site, then we could use the other as an overflow. We could meet for dinner (maybe at Quaker Bridge?) then folks could night-hike back to their respective sites (Lower Forge or Mullica). It would be less than a three-mile hike back to Mullica, even shorter back to Lower Forge.

With the proper number of turtle-dog stands, we could make either Lower Forge or Mullica work for 18. I know I don't have enough time to consider that option - like I said, work is killing me and I can't see finding the time for that.

If we just decide on Batona, then we don't have to worry about numbers. It's car camping - and if you need to get your hike on, then there are plenty of opportunities.

silentorpheus
11-10-2013, 23:02
We should also I guess figure out who's in for just Saturday night, and who's around for Friday as well.

I plan on hiking in Friday - but likely not until a bit later, and leaving Sunday.

If, for example, we have most people coming Saturday, but only a few on Friday, then we can always do multiple camps. It's only 6 miles from Lower Forge to Batona. And a similar distance from Atsion to LF. So we could always night hike from Atsion to Lower Forge Friday night, stay there Friday, then pack up and head over to Batona in time for the bulk of the people to show on Saturday.

Basically, we have options. So if you're still interested in coming to this, sound off as to when you're thinking of coming:

Friday, Saturday, or both

silentorpheus
11-10-2013, 23:38
Here's a link to a quick spreadsheet I whipped up:

SPREADSHEET (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj0mZtk1Q_ZrdFhwLXRlQ21QLW9pMjN2NVh6Q3Rhc lE&usp=sharing)

I filled in the names from the list SS had a few posts ago. I also filled in what info I knew off the top of my head. If I've hiked with you before and didn't remember your name, apologies. If I thought I knew your name and somehow got it wrong - mea culpa.

The important thing here is to check in to the sheet, list what night(s) you think you'll be coming, and once you've checked everything change your status from unconfirmed to either tentative or confirmed.

If your status is "Unconfirmed" we'll assume you have not checked or changed anything. You can edit the spreadsheet yourself.

SilvrSurfr
11-10-2013, 23:44
I'm in for Friday and Saturday.

silentorpheus
11-10-2013, 23:47
I'm in for Friday and Saturday.

I figured. I even updated it for you, deadbeat. Though are you really bringing a +1?

njredneck
11-11-2013, 06:11
I'm in, spreadsheet updated.Me and my boys will headout around noon on friday.

P-47ChowHound
11-11-2013, 12:34
I updated spread sheet. Can not stay, getting my granddaughter for the weekend.
I would like to know where you end up cause I would like to come for a few hours to see set ups and ask questions. Still need to get a group hang.

SilvrSurfr
11-11-2013, 12:52
I figured. I even updated it for you, deadbeat. Though are you really bringing a +1?

Guy says he is coming, but I don't know his reliability factor. He could be one of those that say they're coming but never come.

silentorpheus
11-11-2013, 12:55
I updated spread sheet. Can not stay, getting my granddaughter for the weekend.
I would like to know where you end up cause I would like to come for a few hours to see set ups and ask questions. Still need to get a group hang.

Understood. Got to take care of family first! Thanks for updating the sheet.

If we end up at someplace like Batona on Saturday, you can drive up and say hi.

Otherwise, either of the other locations are a few hours hike into the pine barrens. So dropping in, while not discouraged, might be difficult. :D

SilvrSurfr
11-11-2013, 13:22
Understood. Got to take care of family first! Thanks for updating the sheet.

If we end up at someplace like Batona on Saturday, you can drive up and say hi.

Otherwise, either of the other locations are a few hours hike into the pine barrens. So dropping in, while not discouraged, might be difficult. :D

Well, you could drive within 1 mile of Mullica, and within 1/3 of a mile of Lower Forge on the sugar-sand back roads. However, four-wheel drive is probably recommended for that experience.

kayak karl
11-11-2013, 13:32
have yous decided where?

silentorpheus
11-11-2013, 13:47
have yous decided where?

Not really.

Lower Forge is familiar ground, and we know exactly which sites can hold how many people. But numbers might be a few too many for Lower Forge to support. Unfortunately unfamiliarity with Mullica makes it difficult to just go ahead and reserve sites there.

Luckily both camps are still almost completely open that weekend - so we're not down to the wire yet.

vagabound
11-11-2013, 21:34
Is that you, Tate? You're the only Kammock Roo owner in Monmouth County, ya know.

yep, it's me.

SilvrSurfr
11-11-2013, 22:27
yep, it's me.

I thought that was you. Congratulations on your third post to Hammock Forums; glad I could contribute to this important milestone! Welcome!

I listed you as my +1 'cause I didn't know if you were on the forum. I've hung/hiked with 90% of the people on the list, and they're some fine folks - a wide range of backgrounds and ages.

Congrats on the Incubator. That's gonna keep you warm in the piney woods.

silentorpheus
11-11-2013, 22:30
I thought that was you. Congratulations on your third post to Hammock Forums; glad I could contribute to this important milestone! Welcome!

I listed you as my +1 'cause I didn't know if you were on the forum. I've hung/hiked with 90% of the people on the list, and they're some fine folks - a wide range of backgrounds and ages.

And he even went and updated the sheet. And removed your +1 (since it was him).

Welcome aboard, Tate. We'll try not to hold it against you that you have a Roo. :D

SilvrSurfr
11-11-2013, 22:33

Welcome aboard, Tate. We'll try not to hold it against you that you have a Roo. :D

Too funny. I went to delete my plus one and it was gone!

jtdad13
11-12-2013, 17:28
I can head to Lower Forge this Saturday and check it take some pics and video...

kayak karl
11-12-2013, 17:56
I can head to Lower Forge this Saturday and check it take some pics and video... if you do can you check Hawkins Bridge also. that's hike-able and drivable from Batsto. it just reopened, but i heard a lot of trees were cut down.

jtdad13
11-12-2013, 18:18
Sure thing Karl

silentorpheus
11-12-2013, 19:35
I can head to Lower Forge this Saturday and check it take some pics and video...

No recon needed at Lower Forge, but by all means, enjoy it if you get out there this weekend. :thumb up:

If you hike in from the south, you'll likely go through Mullica River Camp - any pics you take there would be helpful.

SilvrSurfr
11-12-2013, 20:11
I'm planning on hiking to Mullica and/or Lower Forge on Saturday, 11/16. It looks like I may be able to get off work for once.

silentorpheus
11-12-2013, 20:17
I'm planning on hiking to Mullica and/or Lower Forge on Saturday, 11/16. It looks like I may be able to get off work for once.

Nice! And Ratdog offered to try and get out to Mullica tomorrow, to look around and take some pictures, as well.

At the moment, we're looking at 6 hangers plus one tent confirmed for Friday night, and another 2 joining for Saturday night. We're still well within Lower Forge numbers. But that's just who's confirmed so far.

Deadphans
11-12-2013, 20:19
So I have been watching this thread before I confirmed. My grandmother was diagnosed with cancer a few weeks back. Shes back in her home now and I offered to give her a hand around the house this weekend, prepping for winter and putting things in the attic. :( cause I dont get to meet you guys - but at the same time :) cause my grandmother is going to be okay.

I hope to see you all at the winter hang though, and enjoy!

silentorpheus
11-12-2013, 20:53
So I have been watching this thread before I confirmed. My grandmother was diagnosed with cancer a few weeks back. Shes back in her home now and I offered to give her a hand around the house this weekend, prepping for winter and putting things in the attic. :( cause I dont get to meet you guys - but at the same time :) cause my grandmother is going to be okay.

I hope to see you all at the winter hang though, and enjoy!

Glad your grandmother's doing okay.

No worries - it's a holiday weekend, don't feel bad about spending it with family instead of a bunch of strangers in the woods :D

Ratdog
11-12-2013, 21:38
I will get out there tomorrow, just need to remember to charge the camera tonight.
Will update when I get back.

Not sure if I will make it to Hawkins or not, maybe.

12 yr old nephew chimed in tonight that he might like to tag along.

vagabound
11-12-2013, 23:59

Thanks. I've actually been on the forums for a while, just passively. I'm trying to not be so much of a lurker. Especially now that i have more time on my hands to enjoy.

Since getting the incubator in the mail I've basically spent some time in it each day, if only for a coupla minutes. It's pretty awesome.

Yeah, didn't want you guys to overestimate on my account.
Thanks for the welcome.

SilvrSurfr
11-13-2013, 00:32
if you do can you check Hawkins Bridge also. that's hike-able and drivable from Batsto. it just reopened, but i heard a lot of trees were cut down.

You got some recommended hikes from Batsto to Hawkins Bridge? Looks like it would be road hiking (not that there is anything wrong with that). Also, Batona to Hawkins I'd be interested in. I'm all for Hawkins Bridge if it can hold 6 to 18 capacity hanging.

Ratdog
11-13-2013, 17:20
Ok, scouted Mullica River Campground Wilderness Campsites.
Have pics and video.
Actually still lounging in my hammock on Quaker Bridge Road watching the sun go down and the moon come up.
Will post up details shortly.
Short version, 2 of the sites suck, a couple a marginal, good for 1-2 hammocks and the rest will hold several each.

jtdad13
11-16-2013, 17:49
Just got back from Mullica River campsite, 2-3 and 7-8 should accommodate is easily, actually all were good except #9... That one stinks!

SilvrSurfr
11-16-2013, 18:12
I was just gonna recommend we reserve 2, 3 (Good for NJRedneck + tenter), 4 (no longer reserved), 7 & 8. Do you think that will cover 11 confirmed, and 16 possible? What do ya think, jtdad13 and RatDog?

Deadphans
11-17-2013, 01:12
Out of curiosity...(my work schedule is changing atm and may be able to make this), if I am able to head down there, does anyone happen to have a ULA Ohm and/or a Gossamer Gear Mariposa I could check out? I know one of these two are my next pack choice, just would love to see one if I could.

jtdad13
11-17-2013, 08:01
We should be good with those 4 sites for 16 Silversurfer, we can always venture to the back of the campsites if needed.

Ratdog
11-17-2013, 09:01
Those sites should work.
3 doesn't have much going on except for a couple of trees bordering site 4.

For sure the sites further back off the river are better than those closer.

kayak karl
11-17-2013, 18:09
So it is definitely Mullica Camp?

SilvrSurfr
11-18-2013, 00:48
So it is definitely Mullica Camp?

Mullica sounds good to me. Now we need to reserve.

I say we reserve sites 2, 4, & 7 for Friday 11/29 since there are nine people signed up. For Saturday, we reserve 2, 3, 4, 7 & 8 anticipating 16 folks.

Now we just need to get folks to reserve sites. I can reserve site 2 for two nights, four occupants - that's $35 as I calculate it. So if you stay two nights that would cost you around $9, and one night would be $6.

njredneck
11-18-2013, 06:10
I reserved site 8 for 2 nights. Site 4 comes up reserved for Sat.

silentorpheus
11-18-2013, 09:21
Sounds good, SS.

I'll look to grab one of the sites for 2 nights, later on today.

If site 4 is out, we'll have to get creative.

SilvrSurfr
11-18-2013, 11:34
Sounds good, SS.

I'll look to grab one of the sites for 2 nights, later on today.

If site 4 is out, we'll have to get creative.

Site 4 no longer reserved when I looked last night.

Ratdog
11-18-2013, 11:43
4 is a good site, 3 is weak because the only real hanging trees border right on the edge of 4.

3 is a nice communal spot for the fire and gathering.

silentorpheus
11-18-2013, 11:45
Site 4 no longer reserved when I looked last night.

4 is booked for Satuday, but not Friday.

So unless we want to encroach upon the fine folks that may be at 4, or run the risk of having to move Saturday morning, we should probably plan for another site, and possibly ignore 3 as well.

silentorpheus
11-18-2013, 12:03
Okay, so from the SPREADSHEET (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj0mZtk1Q_ZrdFhwLXRlQ21QLW9pMjN2NVh6Q3Rhc lE&usp=sharing#gid=0)

We have confirmed:

Silentorpheus
SilvrSurfr
NJRedneck (3 total)
vagabound
jtdad13
jerzybears (2 total)
Blackfoot (Saturday only)
Tinkr (Saturday only)

For a total of:

9 on Friday
11 on Saturday

One of those each day should be a tent - so that's one less set of trees we'll need.

Possible unconfirmed that expressed interest:

bundy71
JollyGreen
matthiastrek

and a maybe:

Fishbait

Surfr, why don't you grab site 2, and I'll grab site 7.

Other than that, which site should we get, and who wants to handle reserving it?

SilvrSurfr
11-18-2013, 15:53
I reserved site 8 for 2 nights. Site 4 comes up reserved for Sat.

NJRedneck already reserved site 8.

silentorpheus
11-18-2013, 16:35
NJRedneck already reserved site 8.

Yup.

So if you and I both reserve a site, then we'll have:

Sites 2,7, and 8

Do we need more?

njredneck
11-18-2013, 16:56
I paid for 4 people in site 8

silentorpheus
11-18-2013, 17:54
Is it too soon to be talking about food? :D

We gonna wing it with dehydrated meals, or since it's not a long hike in, do we want to plan a campfire meal for Friday?

SilvrSurfr
11-18-2013, 18:04
I paid for five at site M002 for two nights. Darned web site got hung in the middle of my reservation. I had to log out of ReserveAmerica, then log back in but the site still showed Reserved (though I hadn't paid for it). Finally called them up and was able to reserve M002 over the phone (reservation number 2-449107).

I chose to reserve five because if you later decide to add people to the reservation, there's a $7 fee. So in essence, adding one person to the reservation for one night would cost $10. Highway robbery, I say.

SilvrSurfr
11-18-2013, 18:08

We gonna wing it with dehydrated meals, or since it's not a long hike in, do we want to plan a campfire meal for Friday?

Currently a Stage 2 campfire ban, according to Wharton State Forest when I called them Saturday. The state website says it's stage 1, so I don't know where the disconnect is:

http://www.nj.gov/dep/parksandforests/fire/firedanger-restrictions.html

So if it don't rain soon, we may be gathering around the flashlight for storytelling.

njredneck
11-18-2013, 18:11

Its never to soon to talk about food. I was thinking bacon wrapped filets with baked potato with sauted onion, peppers and mushrooms. But hey I'm up for just about anything.

silentorpheus
11-18-2013, 18:17
I paid for five at site M002 for two nights. Darned web site got hung in the middle of my reservation. I had to log out of ReserveAmerica, then log back in but the site still showed Reserved (though I hadn't paid for it). Finally called them up and was able to reserve M002 over the phone (reservation number 2-449107).

I chose to reserve five because if you later decide to add people to the reservation, there's a $7 fee. So in essence, adding one person to the reservation for one night would cost $10. Highway robbery, I say.

Ah, but last time we went out adding people at the time you pick up your permits (assuming we go to batsto to retrieve them) had no additional fee ... just the extra $3 per person.

If they've changed it, that's just rude. Rude Highway Robbery.

silentorpheus
11-18-2013, 18:17
Its never to soon to talk about food. I was thinking bacon wrapped filets with baked potato with sauted onion, peppers and mushrooms. But hey I'm up for just about anything.

You lost me at mushrooms ... but I'm right there with you on the rest of it. :cool:

Ratdog
11-18-2013, 19:31
It was Stage 2 Fri/Sat
We got a little rain but who knows by the end of next week.

Low humidity, some wind, if it hasn't rained, it will be Stage 2.
Reserve America still has it at Stage 2

Ratdog
11-18-2013, 21:55
quick video
used cellphone and brand new video editing software, apologies for the quality

i7egqjbJNeo

SilvrSurfr
11-18-2013, 23:34
quick video
used cellphone and brand new video editing software, apologies for the quality

i7egqjbJNeo

Thanks so much for the reconnoitering, Ratdog. I feel better that we'll have enough trees.

SilvrSurfr
11-18-2013, 23:54
I was talking to Silent Orifice and he's interested in a wee taste of night hiking! JTdad13 also mentioned night hiking from Batsto on Friday night. Anybody else interested?

I'll be at Batsto Village before 4 pm to get my camping permit. We could dawdle around Batsto Village doing the touristy thing till it gets dark enough for it to be scary. We'll have a waning moon at 12.41% full, so it will definitely be creepy out there. You're virtually guaranteed to see the Jersey Devil or Bigfoot in the shadows.

I'm quite experienced at getting lost at night in the Pine Barrens, but I don't think it's possible to get lost going from Batsto to Mullica. If it could be done, I'd have done it (on second thought, I'll have to go back and review my trip reports because I probably did get lost going to Mullica at night).

SilvrSurfr
11-19-2013, 00:01
The scariest thing I ever saw in the Pine Barrens? I was lost hiking from Batsto to Lower Forge, and a pickup truck came down the road. The pickup bed was full of turnips.

I stopped for a bit, trying to understand what I had just seen. Why is some guy driving around the Pine Barrens with a pickup truck full of turnips? As I pondered the meaning of all this, another pickup truck came down the road. It was also full of turnips.

I don't think turnips grow very well in the Pine Barrens, so I highly doubt these pineys were illegally harvesting rare, indigenous Pine Barrens turnips. I think they were importing, not exporting. They've got a still and they're making turnip moonshine or something, right? Maybe they were going out there to do ritual sacrifices of turnips - to this day, I just don't know. It troubles me deeply.

Can you hear it, Clarisse? That horrible screaming of the turnips?

silentorpheus
11-19-2013, 00:08
I was talking to Silent Orifice and he's interested in a wee taste of night hiking! JTdad13 also mentioned night hiking from Batsto on Friday night. Anybody else interested?

I'll be at Batsto Village before 4 pm to get my camping permit. We could dawdle around Batsto Village doing the touristy thing till it gets dark enough for it to be scary. We'll have a waning moon at 12.41% full, so it will definitely be creepy out there. You're virtually guaranteed to see the Jersey Devil or Bigfoot in the shadows.

I'm quite experienced at getting lost at night in the Pine Barrens, but I don't think it's possible to get lost going from Batsto to Mullica. If it could be done, I'd have done it (on second thought, I'll have to go back and review my trip reports because I probably did get lost going to Mullica at night).

No need to lolly-gag just to ensure hiking in the pitch black. I'm sure we'll deal with that soon enough, regardless.

I'm gonna aim for getting to the ranger station by around 3, maybe a touch later. That way we can hope to be on the trail by 4. It'll get nice and dark about 45 minutes in - but it should only take an hour and a half to get to camp - 2 tops.

NJredneck said he was hiking in a little earlier - so maybe he and his young'ns will have a fire waiting for us, to guide us into camp. :D

For anyone planning on hiking in from the North, just remember that Atsion is closed October - March. So park at your own risk.

We'll wait until we're a few days out, and assess whether or not we'll be allowed to have an open fire, before deciding on what kind of food to bring.

SilvrSurfr
11-19-2013, 00:21
No need to lolly-gag just to ensure hiking in the pitch black.

Where's your sense of adventure? I'll bet Batsto Village is really eery in the gloaming.

silentorpheus
11-19-2013, 00:28
Where's your sense of adventure? I'll bet Batsto Village is really eery in the gloaming.

True. I bet it is at that. Whatever - as long as I don't trip in a hole, and throw out my back again, I'm up for whatever.

SilvrSurfr
11-19-2013, 00:32
I really like the idea of surf and turf - some steak, some scallops and shrimp on the barbie. Kebabs, anyone?

njredneck
11-19-2013, 06:23
NJredneck said he was hiking in a little earlier - so maybe he and his young'ns will have a fire waiting for us, to guide us into camp. :D.

There will be a fire. Although it might be contained in camp stove.:D

I really like the idea of surf and turf - some steak, some scallops and shrimp on the barbie. Kebabs, anyone?

Ok I'm in.

silentorpheus
11-19-2013, 10:44
Alright, I've reserved site 7 for 2 nights, 4 people.

That gives us 3 sites for 13 people reserved (Sites 2, 7, and 8). Next week before we head out, we can re-evaluate and see if we need either another site, or to add people to the reservation. I think that can be done in person when we go to the ranger station to check in, without penalty.

silentorpheus
11-19-2013, 16:49
Heard from Matthiastrek. He's in.

that makes 10 Friday and 12 Saturday.

If any more of the unconfirmed opts in, we'll need to either add to the reservations, or get another site.

Ratdog
11-19-2013, 17:23
I'm a maybe, have to relocate a relative into a nursing care facility and if it happens this weekend, then I'm good. I will reserve a spot (9or10) if going.

Trying to get some of college age kids to check it out, maybe even paddle in but we'll see.

jtdad13
11-19-2013, 19:10
I would love to night hike in from Batso but I'll probably be well behind you guys, work on Friday is tough getting done by 5... Maybe I'll just call out!

SilvrSurfr
11-19-2013, 22:38
I would love to night hike in from Batso but I'll probably be well behind you guys, work on Friday is tough getting done by 5... Maybe I'll just call out!

If we hear you, we'll answer!

silentorpheus
11-19-2013, 22:39
If we hear you, we'll answer!

:huh::huh:

jtdad13
11-20-2013, 06:35
Silversurfer...you are one whacked out man!:D:thumbup:

kayak karl
11-20-2013, 06:48
there are some scary critters out there :scared:

SilvrSurfr
11-20-2013, 15:33
there are some scary critters out there :scared:

This reminds me of O Brother, Where Art Thou? when the sirens turn Pete into a toad:

Delmar O'Donnell: Can't you see it, Everett? Them sirens did this to Pete. They loved him up and turned him into a... horny toad. Pete! Pete! Pete! Pete! Pete! Pete. It's me - Delmar. Everett...
Ulysses Everett McGill: Delmar. What the...
Delmar O'Donnell: What are we gonna do?
Ulysses Everett McGill: I'm not sure that's Pete.
Delmar O'Donnell: Of course it's Pete. Look at him.

I think them sirens turned Kayak Karl into a Santa Buck. I mean, look at him.

silentorpheus
11-20-2013, 15:35
This reminds me of O Brother, Where Art Thou? when the sirens turn Pete into a toad:

Delmar O'Donnell: Can't you see it, Everett? Them sirens did this to Pete. They loved him up and turned him into a... horny toad. Pete! Pete! Pete! Pete! Pete! Pete. It's me - Delmar. Everett...
Ulysses Everett McGill: Delmar. What the...
Delmar O'Donnell: What are we gonna do?
Ulysses Everett McGill: I'm not sure that's Pete.
Delmar O'Donnell: Of course it's Pete. Look at him.

I think them sirens turned Kayak Karl into a Santa Buck. I mean, look at him.

We thought you was a toooooad. :lol:

Black Foot
11-21-2013, 14:33
We thought you was a toooooad. :lol:

Ulysses Everett McGill: You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!

Delmar O'Donnell: I just don't think it's right keeping him under wraps like we's ashamed of him.

Ulysses Everett McGill: Well, if it is Pete, I am ashamed of him! Way I see it, he got what he deserved, fornicating with some ***** of Babylon. These things don't happen for no reason, Delmar. It's obviously some kinda judgment on his character.

silentorpheus
11-21-2013, 23:33
Alright - since we're a week out, here's some housekeeping, and a sort of wrap up email for those that haven't kept up with the whole thread:

When: Friday, November 29th through Sunday, December 1st.

Where: Mullica River Camp. It's about 4.5 miles north of Batsto, and I think 6 or so miles south from Atsion. We have sites 2, 7, and 8 reserved at the moment.

What You Need: This is a hike in hang, and last year it was windy and got down below 30˚ - so plan accordingly. If you don't know if your gear will get you that low, or think you might need something, speak up now, and maybe among the rest of us we have something you could borrow. We had one person bail in the middle of the night and have to hike out (he was warm enough but his dog wasn't), and one person spend a VERY cold night - let's try not to repeat that this year. :cool: I don't know everyone coming, but those that I do know have plenty of experience with cold weather hanging. So when in doubt, don't be afraid to speak up and ask - we'll be happy to help.

Agenda: The plan now is to hike in Friday afternoon/evening. If we can have a campfire, we'll consider bringing in perishable food (i.e. MEAT!) to cook the first night - but we'll have to play that by ear based on whether there's a fire ban in place or not by this time next week.

Saturday, we hang out, check out each others' gear, maybe go for a day hike if anyone's game, then hopefully campfire and fun Saturday night. Those just joining for Saturday feel free to shoot me a text or call the day of to let us know when we might expect you.

Sunday morning we wake up, have breakfast, break down, and get out of Dodge.

NJRedneck and his boys will be getting their permits (for site 8) and hiking in earlier in the day on Friday. SilvrSurfr and I will be picking up our permits and hiking in later in the day - closer to 4pm.

We'll ask that anyone coming along pitch in to help cover the reservation fees. I'll have to check my math, but we're probably looking at $5 per night per person.

Otherwise, if you're not me, SilvrSurfr or NJRedneck, you don't need to check in with the rangers or anything - just show up and hike on in.

I'm going to send everyone that's confirmed a PM with my cell number, in case you have questions or need to get in touch the day of.

Let me know if I forgot anything. Otherwise, I'll see you in the woods!

SilvrSurfr
11-21-2013, 23:48
I'm stoked. The rule is that the fire cannot be on the ground, so basically any $9.95 Walmart charcoal grill meets the definition. I'll pack in the charcoal and grill if that is what we need to do.

silentorpheus
11-21-2013, 23:58
I'm stoked. The rule is that the fire cannot be on the ground, so basically any $9.95 Walmart charcoal grill meets the definition. I'll pack in the charcoal and grill if that is what we need to do.

Think we could drop a cache? I bet we could drive some stuff in and drop it not far from Quakerbridge on the way in. Then it's just short walk to retrieve it once we set up.

njredneck
11-22-2013, 06:27
Is it bad that I'm more excited about going into the cold woods than sitting down with the wife's family for Thanksgiving? 7 days and counting. This is worse than waiting for Christmas:D

kayak karl
11-22-2013, 07:41
i will be there Friday night (barring serious rain). im kayaking in from Atsion and going to Mystic Saturday. i can't bring wood, but will bring in some meat/seafood. any ideas.

silentorpheus
11-22-2013, 08:24

But they built all those fancy fire rings

jtdad13
11-22-2013, 13:17
But they built all those fancy fire rings

When I hiked in last week there was a boy scout troop there, they had fires going on in the rings...

SilvrSurfr
11-23-2013, 05:39
Weather Channel says Friday in Hammonton will be high 42 F/ low 25. Saturday will be 45 F/ low 28.

In my experience, low temps in the Pine Barrens are typically 10 to 15 degrees colder than what Weather Channel says for Hammonton, so we could be seeing temps in the teens. Bundle up, campers!

At last year's NJ Winter Hang, Weather Channel said the low for Hammonton would be 18 degrees. Several people recorded the low as 3 degrees at Batona.

silentorpheus
11-23-2013, 13:29
Out for a warm up hike today. Taking a quick break in the middle of a 4 mile walk.

I've only got a little day pack, but the good news is my back feels great!

The bad news is that my legs are reminding me that I haven't been out on a trail since June. :) that's what you get when you buy a house, wreck a car, and injure your back. Life has a way of keeping you from the things you enjoy sometimes.

Ah well. Regardless I'll be good to go next weekend. And this chill in the air makes me want a nice fire, and a pound or two of down to crawl into afterwards.

Edit: Finished out 3.85 miles. Back was fine, legs are tired but livable. Bring on next weekend. :thumbup:

SilvrSurfr
11-24-2013, 23:39
Five days to go!

silentorpheus
11-24-2013, 23:44
Five days to go!

Seriously. Can't wait.

I wonder if we're gonna see anything of that Nor'Easter I've heard rumblings about?

P.S. - I'm bringing your jacket.

silentorpheus
11-25-2013, 00:23
Actually, let's hope that we see some nasty weather in the middle of this week - that clears up by the weekend of course. Otherwise it's going to be below 30 in the woods at night, and we're not going to be allowed to have a campfire, due to the fire restrictions.

Could be cold, friends. Bring layers. :cool:

SilvrSurfr
11-25-2013, 17:15
Four more days (where's JollyGreen when you need him)! I'm hoping the Nor'easter does pack a wallop - lots of rain or snow to lift this fire ban.

silentorpheus
11-25-2013, 17:18
Four more days (where's JollyGreen when you need him)! I'm hoping the Nor'easter does pack a wallop - lots of rain or snow to lift this fire ban.

I was just saying the same thing to my chiropractor today. I told him that me and 12 other people may be the only folks in NJ that actually WANT it to storm like the dickens for the next 2 or 3 days. Otherwise we're gonna have to spend the weekend huddled around an alcohol stove to keep warm. :laugh:

njredneck
11-25-2013, 18:04
They are talking 2-3 inches of rain leaving Wed. Sunny and cold Fri and Sat. I'll have a pot of coffee on when you guys get to camp and a pot of hot water for the cocoa drinkers.

SilvrSurfr
11-25-2013, 18:07
They are talking 2-3 inches of rain leaving Wed. Sunny and cold Fri and Sat. I'll have a pot of coffee on when you guys get to camp and a pot of hot water for the cocoa drinkers.

Are you bringing your mega-coffee pot that serves 456 cups of coffee? I have to remember to bring some cocoa - really nice before beddy-bye.

silentorpheus
11-25-2013, 18:19
Are you bringing your mega-coffee pot that serves 456 cups of coffee? I have to remember to bring some cocoa - really nice before beddy-bye.

You know me, I always have cocoa in my bag of goodies. I'll bring enough to share.

NJRedneck - I'll look forward to that hot beverage when we get in.

njredneck
11-25-2013, 18:19

I'm bringing the big one.:D

silentorpheus
11-25-2013, 18:21
I'm bringing the big one.:D

There's a serious double entendre in there somewhere ... but it's too easy, so I'm gonna let it pass on by.

njredneck
11-25-2013, 18:24
Right now my drink bag weighs almost as much as my food bag. Its a good thing I got 2 boys whose backs are young enough to not care to carry most of it.:D

SilvrSurfr
11-25-2013, 18:28
I'm going to try and remember to bring some fresh-roasted coffee from my local roaster. Maybe vagabound can get me a discount! :lol:

vagabound
11-25-2013, 20:18
I'm going to try and remember to bring some fresh-roasted coffee from my local roaster. Maybe vagabound can get me a discount! :lol:

Good idea! I could pick some up if you want, discounts are harder to get since i quit but i could probably fanagle a hook-up. Should one or two bags be enough?

SilvrSurfr
11-25-2013, 20:21
Good idea! I could pick some up if you want, discounts are harder to get since i quit but i could probably fanagle a hook-up. Should one or two bags be enough?

I'm thinking one should be plentiful, but I only drink a cup a day so I'm not the best judge!

silentorpheus
11-25-2013, 20:25
I'm thinking one should be plentiful, but I only drink a cup a day so I'm not the best judge!

I will happily chip in and share some delicious locally roasted coffee, assuming its not flavored drivel. :) And given the chance I drink much more than a cup a day ... And I still would think that one bag would be enough.

Deadphans
11-25-2013, 20:54
Okay guys, a few things are changing in my schedule and I may be able to make it! In the case that I can, is it too late to be added in? I have the reservation fee, and if I can bring either a food item or money to pitch in for the food pot. I would love to come and reading through all these threads I am anxious.

silentorpheus
11-25-2013, 22:53
Okay guys, a few things are changing in my schedule and I may be able to make it! In the case that I can, is it too late to be added in? I have the reservation fee, and if I can bring either a food item or money to pitch in for the food pot. I would love to come and reading through all these threads I am anxious.

No worries.

Tinkr and Blackfoot aren't coming until Saturday night. If Kayak Karl comes, he's only there Friday - so he's covered by them not being there the first night. We've got space for one more without adding anything to the permits. If Ratdog can make it, he's going to grab another site.

Long story short, yeah, if you can make it, there's room.

Just let us know what your plans would be.

jtdad13
11-26-2013, 14:52
No worries.

Tinkr and Blackfoot aren't coming until Saturday night. If Kayak Karl comes, he's only there Friday - so he's covered by them not being there the first night. We've got space for one more without adding anything to the permits. If Ratdog can make it, he's going to grab another site.

Long story short, yeah, if you can make it, there's room.

Just let us know what your plans would be.

I'm also going to grab another site, for I may be having a coworker coming along...he's one of those [email protected]$! guys! He wants to see what it's all about. We are also unsure about Friday, depends on when we get done work.

jerzybears
11-26-2013, 15:48
Pulling my gear out now...hope it snows like the dickens but the reality is probably that it will be good and cold. I am also hoping a fire ban is lifted. :shades: Thanks s.s. and s.o. for making this happen again. I hate being in a store Black Friday and the pine barrens are calling.:scared:

silentorpheus
11-26-2013, 16:40
Pulling my gear out now...hope it snows like the dickens but the reality is probably that it will be good and cold. I am also hoping a fire ban is lifted. :shades: Thanks s.s. and s.o. for making this happen again. I hate being in a store Black Friday and the pine barrens are calling.:scared:

I'm going to start pulling stuff out tonight, after my little guy goes to bed.

As much fun as snow would be, I'd rather it pour like crazy and wet everything down instead. I have an urge to cook meat over open flames, and that'll be difficult if we can't burn stuff. :rolleyes:

Black Foot
11-26-2013, 17:19
Is someone bringing some sort of grill for the fire pit? If we have one and if the fire ban gets lifted Dan and I will pack in some sausages to grill up Saturday evening. How many people are we expecting?

silentorpheus
11-26-2013, 17:22
Is someone bringing some sort of grill for the fire pit? If we have one and if the fire ban gets lifted Dan and I will pack in some sausages to grill up Saturday evening. How many people are we expecting?

The fire pits they installed in all of the sites have those flip over grills on them.

As of now, we're expecting roughly 12-13 people for Saturday night. But I don't put stock in numbers for this sort of thing until I'm sitting across the fire from all of them. Until then, all I know is that I'll be there. :D:D

SilvrSurfr
11-26-2013, 17:25
The fire pits they installed in all of the sites have those flip over grills on them.

Ha! Flip-top grills; just like that flip-top toupee you're wearing. Leave the rug at home this trip and let it shine!

silentorpheus
11-26-2013, 17:27
Ha! Flip-top grills; just like that flip-top toupee you're wearing. Leave the rug at home this trip and let it shine!

Looks like SS is already hitting the mezcal. :rolleyes:

They might not be flip off ... maybe they're fixed. But they do have grills. I distinctly remember setting up your Emberlit on top of it last time we were at Lower Forge.

silentorpheus
11-26-2013, 17:30
I'm also going to grab another site, for I may be having a coworker coming along...he's one of those [email protected]$! guys! He wants to see what it's all about. We are also unsure about Friday, depends on when we get done work.

Since it's Thanksgiving weekend, and it's supposed to be cold, I would recommend just trying to book a walk-up site at the ranger station at Batsto before you hike in, rather than reserving online.

I can't imagine that the camp will be fully booked, and you'll save yourself the $9 reservation fee you have to pony up online.

SilvrSurfr
11-26-2013, 17:32
Looks like SS is already hitting the mezcal. :rolleyes:

They might not be flip off ... maybe they're fixed. But they do have grills. I distinctly remember setting up your Emberlit on top of it last time we were at Lower Forge.

They are very nice grills - nothing but the best for the ReserveAmerica customer! Ever notice how the grills showed up at the same time they went to ReserveAmerica? Or that trees started getting cut down at the campsites around the same time?

silentorpheus
11-26-2013, 17:42
They are very nice grills - nothing but the best for the ReserveAmerica customer! Ever notice how the grills showed up at the same time they went to ReserveAmerica? Or that trees started getting cut down at the campsites around the same time?

Well, once they decided to go online, they had to carve out clearly delineated sites. And by doing that, they of course needed to have a place for a fire in each and every site. So that makes sense - totally understandable. If you're going to say "this site has room for x number of tents", then you need to make sure people don't set up 1 tent and make their own fire pit in the spot where the other tents would normally go. I did find it amusing that they're fixed to the ground and can't be moved, though. There was a perfect hanging spot at site 4 at lower forge if you could move the fire pit out of the way ...

I don't, however, understand why they needed to cut down trees. They clearly didn't remove stumps or anything, so it's not like they made more room for more tents or anything. The only think I could think of was that perhaps some of the trees they judged to be a falling risk for where they decided tents could/should go, and pre-emptively cut them down.

Either way, it sucks both for the trees, and us hammockers. But as long as ReserveAmerica gets their $9, I guess we're not that important.

SilvrSurfr
11-26-2013, 21:02
The rain is coming down pretty hard right now, and it's supposed to be worse tomorrow - I see a lifted fire ban in our future. The question is whether the State reacts that fast.

I've been having visions of a butterflied filet mignon stuffed with Stilton cheese and wrapped in bacon. And scallops, and shrimp, wrapped in bacon. And roasted clams, and oysters on the half shell.

SilvrSurfr
11-26-2013, 21:06
And baked potatoes drenched in butter and sour cream, with freshly ground pepper on top. And a nice cold asparagus salad garnished with roasted sesame seeds, and a dressing of sesame & olive oil, garlic, and brown sugar.

silentorpheus
11-26-2013, 21:14
I approve of everything listed above.

Except the Stilton.

SilvrSurfr
11-26-2013, 21:15
Any college football fans out there? I'm seriously thinking about hiking back to Batsto Saturday, then heading to the local biker bar to watch the #4 Auburn vs #1 Alabama college football game at 3:30 pm. It could be the best game of the year.

If Alabama builds a big lead, I'll hike back early.

Kayak Karl - can you recommend a local joint where bikers don't beat up on hikers?

silentorpheus
11-26-2013, 21:18
Any college football fans out there? I'm seriously thinking about hiking back to Batsto Saturday, then heading to the local biker bar to watch the #4 Auburn vs #1 Alabama college football game at 3:30 pm. It could be the best game of the year.

If Alabama builds a big lead, I'll hike back early.

Kayak Karl - can you recommend a local joint where bikers don't beat up on hikers?

You gonna hike back in after, or bail on Saturday night?

njredneck
11-26-2013, 21:18
Thanks now I'm hungry.

SilvrSurfr
11-26-2013, 21:31
You gonna hike back in after, or bail on Saturday night?

SilvrSurfr doesn't bail. Perish the thought.

SilvrSurfr
11-26-2013, 21:33
I just thought it might be a cool field trip - get some exercise, watch a great football rivalry, then hike back. More night hiking!

silentorpheus
11-26-2013, 21:34
I just thought it might be a cool field trip - get some exercise, watch a great football rivalry, then hike back. More night hiking!

I care nothing for football. But I might be tempted to hike out for beer. :)

SilvrSurfr
11-26-2013, 21:36
I approve of everything listed above.

Except the Stilton.

One of them darned artisanal cheese haters always ruin the fun.

Listen to your arteries, man. They're screaming: clog me!

SilvrSurfr
11-26-2013, 21:38
I care nothing for football. But I might be tempted to hike out for beer. :)

And it probably ain't gonna be good beer, based on my experience of the local watering holes.

silentorpheus
11-26-2013, 21:45
And it probably ain't gonna be good beer, based on my experience of the local watering holes.

True. That place we stopped with your son was probably the nicest place around down there. And it wasn't all that nice.

You know, it's funny I like and appreciate almost everything artisanal or craft you can think of. Beer, spirits, wine, bread, meats, etc. But I've never liked cheese. And it's not for lack of trying - I just can't stand most anything other than the most mild cheeses. Mozzarella, American (not really cheese), Ricotta, Parm if I'm feeling adventurous I might have cheddar on my burger.

I guess if I'm gonna clog my arteries, it will be with animal fat.

silentorpheus
11-27-2013, 10:22
As of now the NJDEP website still lists High Risk for fire and a Stage 2 ban - but says it was last updated as of 11/25 - so before all this rain. Let's keep our fingers crossed that they decide to re-evaluate in the next 2 days.

In light of all this:

I don't think it makes any sense to try and plan any sort of communal dinner for Friday night, since we likely won't know until we are heading out whether we can have a fire to cook it on.

So, if the fire ban is lifted, I'll be planning on hitting the supermarket on the way down to the trailhead, and grabbing something to grill that night. Feel free to do the same, but play it by ear.

Ratdog
11-27-2013, 10:46
FIRE BAN IS OFF !!!

Just talked to the Ranger Station.
They just took it down today.

We are good to go!

FYI, Ranger Station is closed tomorrow.(Thursday) No surprise but I was going to drive down and grab my permit in the AM because I'll be hiking or paddling in from the other end of the park.

Still looking at Sat, Fri is a maybe.

silentorpheus
11-27-2013, 10:50
FIRE BAN IS OFF !!!

Just talked to the Ranger Station.
They just took it down today.

We are good to go!

:D:D:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup1::cool::D

Awesome. Thanks for the update!

jerzybears
11-27-2013, 11:35
:D:D:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup1::cool::D

Awesome. Thanks for the update!

WOOOOOOOOOOHWHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

SilvrSurfr
11-27-2013, 12:40
I'll bet vagabound still brings his BioLite stove.

silentorpheus
11-27-2013, 13:18

If he wants to spend all night feeding sticks into it, I'll happily let him charge my iPhone.

jtdad13
11-27-2013, 16:48
Watch "Cast Away - "I have made fire!"" on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS7Og1zvdy8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

camp43
11-27-2013, 16:51
Hi All,

I'd love to try and make it out to this if there's room for one more. I have to try and convince the GF we don't need to put up the tree and decorate on Saturday though.

njredneck
11-27-2013, 17:20
Hi All,

I'd love to try and make it out to this if there's room for one more. I have to try and convince the GF we don't need to put up the tree and decorate on Saturday though.

Decorate on Sunday or do like I do convince her she can do it better than you and that you would only get in the way.:D

SilvrSurfr
11-27-2013, 19:35
I've been working my butt off making my favorite alky stove. This thing is awesome:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76512&highlight=stove+design

And here's a pic of the ones I've made:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=2241&pictureid=20112

If anyone wants one, let me know and I'll bring you one. I'm selling them for $15 a piece.

SilvrSurfr
11-27-2013, 20:16
Just kidding about the $15 each - they're free. If you want one, let me know. I believe I've already given one to jtdad13 and vagabound. I have 12 available.

Each stove is handcrafted by a one-eyed man. I've sanded/grinded the edges so you shouldn't get cut. I tested each one for at least 15 seconds of burn time (about all you need with this design - it either burns right or it doesn't). I use Dale's Pale Ale cans almost exclusively (gives me a reason to drink the beer), though I do have a few with other cans.

This is my favorite stove - beats anything I have ever used.

njredneck
11-27-2013, 20:22
Just kidding about the $15 each - they're free. If you want one, let me know. I believe I've already given one to jtdad13 and vagabound. I have 12 available.

Each stove is handcrafted by a one-eyed man. I've sanded/grinded the edges so you shouldn't get cut. I tested each one for at least 15 seconds of burn time (about all you need with this design - it either burns right or it doesn't). I use Dale's Pale Ale cans almost exclusively (gives me a reason to drink the beer), though I do have a few with other cans.

This is my favorite stove - beats anything I have ever used.

I'll take one please. This will save me building one. Thanks

SilvrSurfr
11-27-2013, 20:31
Usually, when it rains like it has the last two days, my yard has 4 or 5 inches of standing water. However, I didn't realize how dry things have been the last couple of months. I have no standing water in my yard - the ground is so parched it's soaking all the moisture up. Now I understand why there was a burn ban.

SilvrSurfr
11-27-2013, 20:38
I'll take one please. This will save me building one. Thanks

Just realized I'm 4 posts away from 4,000. If nobody else bites on wanting a stove, I might bring you two.

SilvrSurfr
11-27-2013, 20:42
Vagabound - I bought a bag of Bali coffee (which I have to grind for the trip). So if you want to bring something else, that's cool.

Here's what I'm bringing in the fresh-roasted coffee department:

http://www.booskerdoo.com/products/sumatra-semi-washed-mandheling-gr-2

njredneck
11-27-2013, 20:43
Just realized I'm 4 posts away from 4,000. If nobody else bites on wanting a stove, I might bring you two.

You know Christmas is coming and I have 2 boys.:laugh:

SilvrSurfr
11-27-2013, 20:53
You know Christmas is coming and I have 2 boys.:laugh:

Then you, sir, will have three under your Christmas tree!

I actually have 10 more in production - I can't stop making these stoves. I've begun mixing the tops and bottoms so each is relatively unique, colorwise. I'll try to give you three of different colors.

silentorpheus
11-27-2013, 21:18
Might as well bring one along for me to try out, if you don't mind. I've been meaning to check this design out, but I'm too lazy to make one.

As a side note - I thought that looked like a Dale's can, but it said Brevard, NC on it. Then I remembered that they built a new East Coast brewery. If you're an Oscar Blues fan, we distribute them, so I can get you some crazy discounts. :cool:

kayak karl
11-27-2013, 21:23
your 1 away. make it count. say something profound for a change :D

silentorpheus
11-27-2013, 21:32
your 1 away. make it count. say something profound for a change :D

Not likely. :rolleyes:

SilvrSurfr
11-27-2013, 21:33
Kayak Karl:

You have been my inspiration for exploring the Pine Barrens. When I grow up, I want to be just like you. I want to know every campsite; every trail, every road, every river, every branch. Some people say the Pine Barrens are monotonous, but I love every bit of it thanks to you.

You are deserving of my 4,000th post. And one day, I'll hike the entire Batona Trail in three days, just like you have done so many times! Thanks for the inspiration.

SilvrSurfr
11-27-2013, 21:34
Not likely. :rolleyes:

I think I nailed it, you doubter you.

silentorpheus
11-27-2013, 21:36
I think I nailed it, you doubter you.

Well waddaya know. :laugh:

Ratdog
11-27-2013, 21:37
Good Stuff

SilvrSurfr
11-27-2013, 21:45
Might as well bring one along for me to try out, if you don't mind. I've been meaning to check this design out, but I'm too lazy to make one.

As a side note - I thought that looked like a Dale's can, but it said Brevard, NC on it. Then I remembered that they built a new East Coast brewery. If you're an Oscar Blues fan, we distribute them, so I can get you some crazy discounts. :cool:

Discounts on Dale's Pale Ale? I'm in. Love that stuff. The Oskar Blues Pilsner is tasty, but doesn't blow my skirt up all that much. And I've tried the Oskar Blues Deviant Dale's India Pale Ale and it's not very good at all, in my opinion.

silentorpheus
11-27-2013, 22:08
Discounts on Dale's Pale Ale? I'm in. Love that stuff. The Oskar Blues Pilsner is tasty, but doesn't blow my skirt up all that much. And I've tried the Oskar Blues Deviant Dale's India Pale Ale and it's not very good at all, in my opinion.

Deviant Dales was alright, but not great. They basically just took Dale's, and threw it out of whack by adding more hops. Dale's has a score of 100 on Ratebeer for a reason - why mess with it, just so you can say "we make an IPA too"?

P-47ChowHound
11-27-2013, 22:11
SilvrSurfr, if you have any left over from the hang I would like a stove. We could meet at the coffee shop agin.

We'r like related you have 4002 post I have 42 :-)

silentorpheus
11-27-2013, 22:30
camp43 - yeah, there should be room. I'm sending you a PM.

SilvrSurfr
11-27-2013, 22:51
SilvrSurfr, if you have any left over from the hang I would like a stove. We could meet at the coffee shop agin.

We'r like related you have 4002 post I have 42 :-)

Let me know how many you want. I love making them! You can buy me a coffee in return.

vagabound
11-27-2013, 22:53

well, if your offering to pack it in...

Vagabound - I bought a bag of Bali coffee (which I have to grind for the trip). So if you want to bring something else, that's cool.

Here's what I'm bringing in the fresh-roasted coffee department:

http://www.booskerdoo.com/products/sumatra-semi-washed-mandheling-gr-2

oh ****, i picked up a bag of black and tan, ground. might as well bring it.

SilvrSurfr
11-27-2013, 22:56
well, if your offering to pack it in...

oh, ****, i picked up a bag of black and tan, ground. might as well bring it.

Sounds like we are all set on the coffee front. I can bring a French Press, and a filter system. Whatever you coffee snobs want!

silentorpheus
11-27-2013, 23:10
Sounds like we are all set on the coffee front. I can bring a French Press, and a filter system. Whatever you coffee snobs want!

If you bring your press, that means I don't need to pack mine. I like this plan.

(Post # 700 :cool:)

jtdad13
11-27-2013, 23:16
I've been working my butt off making my favorite alky stove. This thing is awesome:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76512&highlight=stove+design

And here's a pic of the ones I've made:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=2241&pictureid=20112

If anyone wants one, let me know and I'll bring you one. I'm selling them for $15 a piece.

It's a great stove, will be joining me on this hang!

SilvrSurfr
11-27-2013, 23:26
If you bring your press, that means I don't need to pack mine. I like this plan.

(Post # 700 :cool:)

On second thought, my French Press is not coming - it's stainless steel and weighs a ton. Looks like drip for me.

silentorpheus
11-27-2013, 23:46
On second thought, my French Press is not coming - it's stainless steel and weighs a ton. Looks like drip for me.

*sigh*

Maybe I'll bring my GSI plastic one. Works just as well, but is much lighter.

P-47ChowHound
11-28-2013, 06:57
Let me know how many you want. I love making them! You can buy me a coffee in return.

1 would be great, 2 would be better (1for my son) could buy you coffee tomorrow for your drive down. :)

kayak karl
11-28-2013, 07:35
Kayak Karl:

You have been my inspiration for exploring the Pine Barrens. When I grow up, I want to be just like you. I want to know every campsite; every trail, every road, every river, every branch. Some people say the Pine Barrens are monotonous, but I love every bit of it thanks to you.

You are deserving of my 4,000th post. And one day, I'll hike the entire Batona Trail in three days, just like you have done so many times! Thanks for the inspiration.
Why thank you Grasshopper :cool:
,but I learned all from my Dad (Dutch) :)

SilvrSurfr
11-28-2013, 12:38
Why thank you Grasshopper :cool:
,but I learned all from my Dad (Dutch) :)

Now that's inspirational.

silentorpheus
11-28-2013, 12:39
Now that's inspirational.

Yeah seriously. That's some cool stuff, Karl.

silentorpheus
11-28-2013, 12:57
We've had a few last minute requests to join - and that's fine, but we've pretty much come to the end of our ability to absorb more without getting more sites, etc.

SO ... if you're name isn't listed below, we either have not accounted for you on our current permits, or haven't discussed alternate options with you. Therefore, if you decide you want to come, you'll likely need to just go ahead and and get an open site either from the ranger station or online. Regardless of permits, we're going to start running into lack of trees in the 3 sites we grabbed regardless, so another site wouldn't hurt anyway.

Silentorpheus
SilvrSurfr
Jerzybears
NJRedneck and Sons
Vagabound
Black Foot (Sat only)
Tinker (Sat only)
Matthiastrek
Kayak Karl (possible Friday Only)

Other's we've talked with:

jtdad17 - likely getting his own site, since friend may join.
Ratdog - if he comes, he'll grab a site
Deadphans - no idea if he's actually coming, but he's covered if he does
camp43 - not sure his plans, but covered

Anyone else I'm missing?

DISCLAIMER: If I didn't mention you above, you are still more than welcome to join us. We'll be at Mullica River Camp from Friday to Sunday. You'll just need to make your own arrangements, or PM me or SilvrSurfr directly, and we might be able to help out.

Happy Thanksgiving, and see everyone tomorrow!

njredneck
11-28-2013, 13:36
What time is everyone planning on heading into the woods. Me and my boys will be leaving Batsto around 11 or so. That puts us in camp around 1.

Ratdog
11-28-2013, 14:12
I will grab site 9 tomorrow.

I will put in for 4 people for Fri/Sat.

If by some chance 9 is taken, I will grab 10.

There are plenty of trees for hanging, just maybe not exactly within a given site location.
Not a big deal because most of the sites are rated for 6-8 people.

My plans were changed a little last night, my brother in law sprained his ankle and may not hike in. As a result, my nephew may not make it, or he might just paddle in with me.

Good news is, if brother in law bails, he might still be available to shuttle us to and from the PicALilli Inn.
http://www.picalilli.com/ for the game Sat.

Shorten the hike to 2.5 miles each way if we hike towards Atsion.

SilvrSurfr
11-28-2013, 14:34
I will grab site 9 tomorrow.

I will put in for 4 people for Fri/Sat.

If by some chance 9 is taken, I will grab 10.

There are plenty of trees for hanging, just maybe not exactly within a given site location.
Not a big deal because most of the sites are rated for 6-8 people.

My plans were changed a little last night, my brother in law sprained his ankle and may not hike in. As a result, my nephew may not make it, or he might just paddle in with me.

Good news is, if brother in law bails, he might still be available to shuttle us to and from the PicALilli Inn.
http://www.picalilli.com/ for the game Sat.

Shorten the hike to 2.5 miles each way if we hike towards Atsion.

Thanks, Ratdog - that's cool!

silentorpheus
11-28-2013, 15:01
How close can you get with a car, and be able to leave it? Just got a call from jerzybears asking and I don't have a good answer ...

Ratdog
11-28-2013, 15:05
From Batsto, it is 5-6 miles. (leaving car at Batsto) car should be ok.
From Atsion, 5 miles (leaving car at Atsion, no Rangers around) maybe not the safest option
From Atsion 2.5 miles (leaving car just off of QuakerBridge Road in the middle of the woods) probably not the safest option
From Atsion with Disabled Persons .7 miles (leaving car deep in the woods) chances are it will be left alone, possible ticket

If shuttle is needed, let me know when and where to see if I can help.

I have to run to Batsto to get permit but will be coming in from Atsion.

Have a couple relatives that live nearby, might be able to arrange shuttle from safe parking area to 2.5 mile drop off or .7 mile drop off.

My sister lives in Vincentown, could leave a car at her place and be shuttled to Atsion (5 mile hike) or QuakerBridge Road (2.5 mile hike)

SilvrSurfr
11-28-2013, 15:11
Greensoldier PM'd me and would like to come Friday night.

Picallili Inn. Isn't that where we stopped for a beer last time with Rocco, Silent Orpheus? They sure have plenty of TVs for watching Auburn-Alabama, but the beer selection is not the best. I like that it's only 2.5 miles away!

silentorpheus
11-28-2013, 15:15

Picallili Inn. Isn't that where we stopped for a beer last time with Rocco, Silent Orpheus? They sure have plenty of TVs for watching Auburn-Alabama, but the beer selection is not the best. I like that it's only 2.5 miles away!

Yeah, that's where we stopped. Its just a few miles down the road from Atsion.

SilvrSurfr
11-28-2013, 15:25
From Batsto, it is 5-6 miles. (leaving car at Batsto) car should be ok.

It's a four-mile hike from Batsto to Mullica River Camp, not 5-6.

SilvrSurfr
11-28-2013, 15:26
What time is everyone planning on heading into the woods. Me and my boys will be leaving Batsto around 11 or so. That puts us in camp around 1.

Me, Silent Orpheus and vagabound will depart Batsto around 3:30 or 4; probably be in camp no later than 5:30 or 6 pm.

Greensoldier
11-28-2013, 15:27
Hello everyone,

Can anyone add me to there permit only for Friday night?

This is my first hang with this group and I'm very excited.
Besides meeting you wonderful people the goal is to test my sleeping system down to 10degrees. I am using a HH Hyperlite with the diamond fly which may be not enough wind protection but it's the only one I got. I am sure to be ok since I will be using -20 bag along with three layers of bottom insulation - foam pad, air pad, and reflective air bubble pad.

I also will be pitching very low to the ground.

Btw..Happy thanksgiving

Ratdog
11-28-2013, 15:50
It's a four-mile hike from Batsto to Mullica River Camp, not 5-6.

thanks, been a while since I walked that way

Ratdog
11-28-2013, 15:53

2.5 miles if we hike to QuakerBridge Road and my bro in law picks us up or I leave a vehicle there...

Beer selection is basic but the wings are ok and they do have TV's

I will be working out details at dinner in about an hour, heading over there now.

SilvrSurfr
11-28-2013, 15:55
thanks, been a while since I walked that way

I go that way a lot, especially in tick season. Too many darn ticks from Batsto to Quaker Bridge on the Batona Trail! The Mullica River trail is mostly road and you can walk without brushing up against the bushes.

matthiastrek
11-28-2013, 19:35
I am joining you guys tomorrow for the 3:30 hike. Silvrsurfr - would like one of those handy stoves!

Hope everyone has a great thanksgiving!

SilvrSurfr
11-28-2013, 20:32
I am joining you guys tomorrow for the 3:30 hike. Silvrsurfr - would like one of those handy stoves!

Hope everyone has a great thanksgiving!

Cool - we'll have one old guy (me), one middle-aged guy (Silent Orifice), and two young guys (matthiastrek & vagabound). Nice mix!

I am officially done with Thanksgiving - I am minutes away from passing out after antipasto, cannellini, broccoli rabe, roasted brussel sprouts, stuffed mushrooms, turkey and all the trimmings. Put a fork in me - I'm done.

SilvrSurfr
11-28-2013, 20:56
Hello everyone,

Can anyone add me to there permit only for Friday night?

This is my first hang with this group and I'm very excited.
Besides meeting you wonderful people the goal is to test my sleeping system down to 10degrees. I am using a HH Hyperlite with the diamond fly which may be not enough wind protection but it's the only one I got. I am sure to be ok since I will be using -20 bag along with three layers of bottom insulation - foam pad, air pad, and reflective air bubble pad.

I also will be pitching very low to the ground.

Btw..Happy thanksgiving

I'll add you to my reservation. You gonna hike in with the night-hiking breathren? Sounds like some serious overkill on the bottom insulation.

Greensoldier
11-28-2013, 21:14
Silvr thanks for adding me. Can you send me the directions on where to park? I was thinking next to the ranger station that was mentioned earlier in the posts.
As far as bottom insulation may be overkill but I would hate to bail due to being cold.
I plan on heading out in the AM.

SilvrSurfr
11-28-2013, 21:24
Silvr thanks for adding me. Can you send me the directions on where to park? I was thinking next to the ranger station that was mentioned earlier in the posts.
As far as bottom insulation may be overkill but I would hate to bail due to being cold.
I plan on heading out in the AM.

You should park at Batsto Village - google should get you there fine (though it is possible to get lost). Exit 52 on the Garden State Parkway and then follow the signs to Batsto Village.

I've posted a hiking map somewhere in this thread - hike through Batsto Village to get to the Mullica River trail. Though I'm a master at getting lost, it will be really hard for you to get lost finding Mullica River campsite. If you have the slightest concern, hike in with the rest of us idiots around 3:30 to 4 pm on Friday.

Greensoldier
11-29-2013, 09:24
You should park at Batsto Village - google should get you there fine (though it is possible to get lost). Exit 52 on the Garden State Parkway and then follow the signs to Batsto Village.

I've posted a hiking map somewhere in this thread - hike through Batsto Village to get to the Mullica River trail. Though I'm a master at getting lost, it will be really hard for you to get lost finding Mullica River campsite. If you have the slightest concern, hike in with the rest of us idiots around 3:30 to 4 pm on Friday.

Starting to pack in a bit...still need to stop by REI to get 2 things. I hope it's not nuts on Black Friday :eek:

It may turn out that I will arrive around 3ish

silentorpheus
11-29-2013, 09:31
Starting to pack in a bit...still need to stop by REI to get 2 things. I hope it's not nuts on Black Friday :eek:

It may turn out that I will arrive around 3ish

What do you need at REI?

If you're coming from up North, and plan on going to the Paramus REI, that entire plaza is gonna be nuts.

Greensoldier
11-29-2013, 09:48
What do you need at REI?

If you're coming from up North, and plan on going to the Paramus REI, that entire plaza is gonna be nuts.

Yeah it's going to be the one in Paramus.
Need one nalgene 1L bottle and a compression sack for my new sleeping bag that is much larger than my old one.

Are you local to Paramus :D

silentorpheus
11-29-2013, 09:51
Yeah it's going to be the one in Paramus.
Need one nalgene 1L bottle and a compression sack for my new sleeping bag that is much larger than my old one.

Are you local to Paramus :D

Nah, I live down near Princeton. :D

My wife's family lives up in Waldwick, though. Was up there last night for Thanksgiving. So I hit that REI from time to time. Route 4 is always crappy, and with it being Black Friday I'm sure the area will be even worse.

I've got an extra nalgene you can borrow, though I can't help out on the comp sack.

silentorpheus
11-29-2013, 09:52
NOAA projects a low of 20˚ tonight, and 31˚ tomorrow night.

Gonna be chilly - so pack warm all. :cool:

njredneck
11-29-2013, 10:15
Just finished loading the truck see yall in the woods.:)

Greensoldier
11-29-2013, 10:39
Nah, I live down near Princeton. :D

My wife's family lives up in Waldwick, though. Was up there last night for Thanksgiving. So I hit that REI from time to time. Route 4 is always crappy, and with it being Black Friday I'm sure the area will be even worse.

I've got an extra nalgene you can borrow, though I can't help out on the comp sack.

Just finished eating some thanksgiving leftovers for breakfast. Thanks for the bottle...I just want to have a second one handy to heat up the sleeping bag, just in case. This is the first time I am testing this particular system under 40s.

silentorpheus
11-29-2013, 10:39
Just finished eating some thanksgiving leftovers for breakfast. Thanks for the bottle...I just want to have a second one handy to heat up the sleeping bag, just in case. This is the first time I am testing this particular system under 40s.

Sure thing. I'll toss it in the car just in case.

Ratdog
11-29-2013, 13:29
Office was close for lunch. Just reopened. Gal behind the desk isn't feeling well. (Purell warning)l

Checked in, added 2 to my tag. Plenty of room for folks.
Bright and sunny.

Heading home to pack and then head out later this afternoon.

kayak karl
11-29-2013, 14:23
i won't be there. take my place.

my stop Sat. for a bit after a seminar i have to go to.

jtdad13
12-01-2013, 14:19
Had a great time with all this weekend, at home now putting the gear back in the closet. Next time I'll have some new gear and some gear will not be joining me. I really enjoyed my Hannibal Lecture balaclava, kept the nose and face toasty at night;)http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/02/a3epy7at.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/02/uga7eryg.jpg

njredneck
12-01-2013, 15:54
Thanks to everyone who showed up it was good to see old friends and meet a few new ones. See y'all at the next one.

silentorpheus
12-01-2013, 15:59
Started a post trip/report thread here:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1144218#post1144218

For those that want to share and or reflect. :D

Greensoldier
12-03-2013, 20:11
It was great meeting most of you....thanks for putting this together.

silentorpheus
12-03-2013, 20:17
It was great meeting most of you....thanks for putting this together.

Hrm … this could be taken one of two ways:

You only met most of us, since you left early, but it was great meeting the people you did

OR

It was great meeting most of us, insinuating that it wasn't great to meet some of us.

I prefer the second choice. And I'll assume that the person it wasn't great meeting was SilvrSurfr - most people feel that way after spending any time with him. :D

Greensoldier
12-03-2013, 21:32
To ease your mind....
It was great to meet everyone I was able to meet...especially silentorpheus since he brought that extra Nalgene bottle; it was COLD friday night.

Let's take it easy on silvrsurfr, since he's probably still in pain after alabama's loss on Saturday :scared:

Hrm this could be taken one of two ways:

You only met most of us, since you left early, but it was great meeting the people you did

OR

It was great meeting most of us, insinuating that it wasn't great to meet some of us.

I prefer the second choice. And I'll assume that it the person it wasn't great meeting was SilvrSurfr - most people feel that way after spending any time with him. :D

SilvrSurfr
12-03-2013, 21:50
Let's take it easy on silvrsurfr, since he's probably still in pain after alabama's loss on Saturday :scared:

SilvrSurfr is an Auburn fan, so he's in no pain whatsoever after Auburn scored two touchdowns in the final 32 seconds to win what may be the greatest college football game ever!

Greensoldier
12-03-2013, 21:56
I though it was the other way around. I hope you were able to see since I have never seen a better game!

SilvrSurfr is an Auburn fan, so he's in no pain whatsoever after Auburn scored two touchdowns in the final 32 seconds to win what may be the greatest college football game ever!

SilvrSurfr
12-03-2013, 22:03
I though it was the other way around. I hope you were able to see since I have never seen a better game!

I was out in the piney woods so I didn't get to see it. NJRedneck was the only one with 3G service so I was constantly pestering him for a score update. There were some comical exchanges when I asked NJRedneck to "hook a brother up" with a score update. Instead, he handed me his flask, which I thought was his smartphone. I swiped at it with my finger to activate the screen before realizing what it was!